CyReN

Film Discussion

another serious question.  why buy movies when you can rip them all for free?

some people like to support their favorite film makers, actors, etc...

same reason people still buy music 

Actually only watched Le Samourai a few nights ago, thought it was preeetty good. Between that, The Driver, and Drive, I feel like there's a really specific sub-genre in there.

Also went to Arrival last week but forgot to post about it. I thought it was mostly really really enjoyable but there were a few things that sort of held it back from being top tier. Also thought it got very Nolan-esque towards the end (especially in that gala scene), so I'm pretty surprised @@hapaxlegomena enjoyed it so much ;)

idk I didn't get any Nolan feels at all tbh, but i can kinda see what you're getting at

Nolan wishes he could make a film as dope as Arrival

what were the things that held it back for you? as it stands, i think Arrival is a landmark scifi film

bad acting (especially FW... he is fkn horrible), predictable story line and the cinematography was on par with Finding Nemo.

bad acting (especially FW... he is fkn horrible), predictable story line and the cinematography was on par with Finding Nemo.

Lol at FW being bad

Lol at FW being bad

you should be able to open both your eyes if you're going to be considered a good actor.

FW is def very hit or miss, but he was dope in Arrival

FW is def very hit or miss, but he was dope in Arrival

I was kidding.  I love FW lol

Im pretty excited to go see this film though but there's zero theatres carrying it in my area.  Nearest theater is about an hour away that has it...  im gonna have to wait until Im either in Denver or when it comes out on DVD. 

I've always liked Forest Whitaker... can't wait to see him in the new Star Wars film. 

I was kidding. I love FW lol

Im pretty excited to go see this film though but there's zero theatres carrying it in my area. Nearest theater is about an hour away that has it... im gonna have to wait until Im either in Denver or when it comes out on DVD.

it's weird that it didn't get a full wide release considering all the buzz it garnered & the critical success of Sicario. I was lucky that it was playing at the rinkydink theater near my house

what were the things that held it back for you? as it stands, i think Arrival is a landmark scifi film

Pretty small things tbh, but I thought the ending dragged on a bit too long and sort of lost the impact it could have had. Then some of the dialogue was a little iffy and I actually was pretty disappointed by Forest Whitaker :(

Overall though I really liked it. Hyped for Blade Runner 2

XhayMeU.jpg

@@Reason bless!!!

You might be plebeian scum, but sometimes you're aight Reason. Such a serious snipe for only $40

I hate you too Boston scum!

I know it's just more UFC stuff but since it's more of a broad take on the anxiety, joy, and general emotion of fighting it sort of feels like a lil short film in it's own right. Well maybe not...but still, thought I'd post it in here anyway

• Upvote (+1) 4

I know it's just more UFC stuff but since it's more of a broad take on the anxiety, joy, and general emotion of fighting it sort of feels like a lil short film in it's own right. Well maybe not...but still, thought I'd post it in here anyway

Epic music choice.

arrival was incredible

"who is this girl?" and "i forgot what it feels like to be held by you" what kinda time warp plot hole shananigans is that? im still scratching my head. someone help me. was she born with the sight?

arrival was incredible

"who is this girl?" and "i forgot what it feels like to be held by you" what kinda time warp plot hole shananigans is that? im still scratching my head. someone help me. was she born with the sight?

I took it as the aliens showing her the future, preparing her for losing her child and marriage so she could withstand that and teach people the language

I took it as the aliens showing her the future, preparing her for losing her child and marriage so she could withstand that and teach people the language

it was the language itself that allowed her to see what was to come

arrival was incredible

Hapax pretty much has it

Their language and their sense of time are intertwined, and both of them function in a sort of flowing way. I can't remember exactly how it's phrased but they basically compare it to writing from left to right and right to left simultaneously. So she's seeing her future in the present and using the knowledge gained in her future to make decisions in the past/present.

It alludes to a higher state of consciousness where time isn't seen in the linear way that we do. In the same way that gravity ebbs and flows, so does time

• Upvote (+1) 2