CyReN

Film Discussion

Film criteria is more important to me than fanboy/nerd criteria

Generally speaking, adaptations are almost never good or true to the source, Film and Books are two completely different mediums. So for me the source material is always better and I never feel the need to see the "tokien universe" because i have it in my head and i dont need to see some  Directors POV. You seem like the kind of person who would complain about Khan in the new Star Trek

Assumptions, nice. I rather enjoyed the new Trek film and had no complaints. When I go see a film that has been adapted from a book I'm able to enjoy that film for what it is, a Director's interpretation of the source material. I may wish it had been done differently, or that this been added and that been left out, but those things do not affect my overall enjoyment of a film.

I've always been able to take things for what they are, and not what I think they should've been.

I didnt like the hobbit because it was a bad movie and wasnt enjoyable

It had nothing to do with the book being better

Most critics and Reason would agree that it was a mess 

I didnt like the hobbit because it was a bad movie and wasnt enjoyable

It had nothing to do with the book being better

Most critics and Reason would agree that it was a mess 

Like I said, to each their own. You're entitled to your bad taste.

Like I said, to each their own. You're entitled to your bad taste.

I have great taste and I doubt you even watch foreign films  :) harharhahr

Im sorry you are so upset but most professional critics would agree with me on this one. I understand that you enjoy it but you would be a fool to think its a great movie or even a good one. its decent at best and fails to do so many things, the pacing is painful and slow, the cgi is horrendously bad looking, its a visual nightmare..  and like we and most critics agree its plot is far too stretched out. 

"When the dwarves turn up mob-handed, kicking off a night of boisterous revelry, the laboured jests and jollity seem to go on forever. And the combination of dwarves, forced humour and familiar faces off the telly turn the occasion into bad panto."

It's the behaviour of the supposedly affable dwarves that makes this particular 'adventure' such a punishing experience.

Transformers II had the annoying aliens robots and The Hobbit has the Dwarves

I have great taste and I doubt you even watch foreign films  :) harharhahr

Im sorry you are so upset but most professional critics would agree with me on this one. I understand that you enjoy it but you would be a fool to think its a great movie or even a good one. its decent at best and fails to do so many things, the pacing is painful and slow, the cgi is horrendously bad looking, its a visual nightmare.. 

"When the dwarves turn up mob-handed, kicking off a night of boisterous revelry, the laboured jests and jollity seem to go on forever. And the combination of dwarves, forced humour and familiar faces off the telly turn the occasion into bad panto."

It's the behaviour of the supposedly affable dwarves that makes this particular 'adventure' such a punishing experience.

Transformers II had the annoying aliens robots and The Hobbit has the Dwarves

Like I said, I think it is a good movie, and I am a fan of long movies so I didn't find it to be drawn out but I can see how most people may think that. As far as the CGI, I think it looked fine, definitely not the worse I've seen.

As far as "Film Critics" go, I think that most of them are pretentious and pompous asshats that just over critique and bash films because they think it makes them look smart. I go to films with an open mind and don't over analyze, I just enjoy the experience.

Like I said, I think it is a good movie, and I am a fan of long movies so I didn't find it to be drawn out but I can see how most people may think that. As far as the CGI, I think it looked fine, definitely not the worse I've seen.

As far as "Film Critics" go, I think that most of them are pretentious and pompous asshats that just over critique and bash films because they think it makes them look smart. I go to films with an open mind and don't over analyze, I just enjoy the experience.

You are a fan of all long movies? thats kind of a weird thing to say

BTW I never said the Hobbit was too long, so im not too sure why you just said that...What i did say was that I the pacing was off  and poorly executed.  if you dont get that then you shouldnt be posting in a Film Discussion thread.  because thats like film 101 type of stuff. 

I know you said its a good movie but you never said why, please elaborate and tell me why the hobbit is good. 

and the cgi is pretty awful looking, plus the fucking dwarves man!

and  Film critics watch movies for a living and 99.9% of them know more about film than you, why? because they do it for a living, and you are clearly dont know what you are talking about. specially if you dont know what pacing is LOL gg

I was honestly not expecting a whole lot going into The Hobbit.  The dwarves didn't interest me at all, at first, and The Hobbit was a kid's story so I wasn't sure how they were going to adapt that into a movie.  All in all, I thought it was entertaining to say the least.  Gandalf will always be my favorite and he was still a bad ass in this one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

and Omega, the Hobbit is only 169 minutes 

so yeah step over son, I like long movies better than you haha, my favorite long movie is the Civil War featurin Jeff Daniels, gg its over 4 hours long and features an intermission. Yeah, I saw it in theaters, like a boss

• Upvote (+1) 1

You are a fan of all long movies? thats kind of a weird thing to say

BTW I never said the Hobbit was too long, so im not too sure why you just said that...What i did say was that I the pacing was off  and poorly executed.  if you dont get that then you shouldnt be posting in a Film Discussion thread.  because thats like film 101 type of stuff. 

I know you said its a good movie but you never said why, please elaborate and tell me why the hobbit is good. 

and the cgi is pretty awful looking, plus the fucking dwarves man!

and  Film critics watch movies for a living and 99.9% of them know more about film than you, why? because they do it for a living, and you are clearly dont know what you are talking about. specially if you dont know what pacing is LOL gg

I'm aware of what pacing is, I just misread.. a forgivable offense, kinda like your punctuation. The pacing was slow at times, yes, but I didn't find it unbearable. You want bad pacing, watch Superman Returns. Now the Hobbit didn't have brilliant pacing like Stalker, but it was fine IMO.

The Hobbit was a good movie in my eyes because it was an adventure with characters I love, inside a universe I love. I found the Slow pacing and the CGI to create an immersive experience that left me wanting it not to end.

Btw, just because you do something for a living doesn't mean you're not a pretentious, pompous asshat. :)

Scalzo you know nothing about film or what makes a good movie. Just stop. 

just say that the hobbit sucks br0 im not askin for an indepth analasys

[6:37:09 PM] Scalzo: haha i havent even seen it

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

THE HOBBIT WAS BAD FILM

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I dont believe i know you, amo

Don't make me call your mother and make her take away your Treme privileges. 

You probably should just go watch After Earth again because you like it so much. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd rather suffer through the purge as my eyes burn, than watch the hobbit .

I wasn't a fan of the Hobbit, very meh.

Recent watches: Leon the Professional, Punch Drunk Love, Hangover 3, Parts 1 and 2 of the Paradise Lost documentary.

- Loved young Natalie in Leon, not sure why I hadn't watched it before but I enjoyed it.

- I've seen Punch Drunk Love before but I still love Adam Sandler's performance, would be interesting to see where he'd be if he kept doing stuff like that and not Grown Ups 2.

- Hangover 3, blehhhhhhhhhhh. Glad I didn't waste my money on that shit.

I hadn't watched any of the Paradise Lost's since they were run on a crime channel over here back when I was still in high school. Glad the guys are out now but it's still fucking crazy to see how badly the justice system fucked them over based on appearance alone.

Hobbit should have never been split into three movies.

This is the End was hilarious. Such a fun movie.

Exicited for Man of Steel this weekend

Going to see This is the End tomorrow. I want to see Man of Steel but I've never been big on Superman or the DC-verse in general, as usual I care solely about what happens in Gotham City more than anything else. I have no doubts that MoS will be better than say Green Lantern, and POSSIBLY on some levels better than the latest Batman trilogy. However, I don't think it'll be the movie to make me go, "Wow, DC really got their shit together when it comes to making movie adaptations of their characters."

I watched Office Space and Warrior for the umpteenth time. Absolutely love both of those movies. Even Nick Nolte's drunken rant about Moby Dick was fantastic.

Going to see This is the End tomorrow. I want to see Man of Steel but I've never been big on Superman or the DC-verse in general, as usual I care solely about what happens in Gotham City more than anything else. I have no doubts that MoS will be better than say Green Lantern, and POSSIBLY on some levels better than the latest Batman trilogy. However, I don't think it'll be the movie to make me go, "Wow, DC really got their shit together when it comes to making movie adaptations of their characters."

I watched Office Space and Warrior for the umpteenth time. Absolutely love both of those movies. Even Nick Nolte's drunken rant about Moby Dick was fantastic.

This is the end is supposedly fantastic, I'll get around to seeing that soon. The past superman movies I have seen are all not very good, but Christopher Nolan is GOAT (jk but not really) so it will probably be pretty good. It won't be better than his Batman trilogy though, that was too good. 

Warrior is great, but its so funny how the movie flopped in theaters and was such a huge hit on Netflix.

"Blockbuster Films I've Seen This Summer(ish)"

Oblivion: 7.5/10

Iron Man 3: 6/10

Star Trek Into Darkness: 9/10

This Is The End: 8/10

Fast 6 was also fantastic. Just accept the ridiculousness of it and you'll have a great time in the theater.

This is the end is supposedly fantastic, I'll get around to seeing that soon. The past superman movies I have seen are all not very good, but Christopher Nolan is GOAT (jk but not really) so it will probably be pretty good. It won't be better than his Batman trilogy though, that was too good. 

Warrior is great, but its so funny how the movie flopped in theaters and was such a huge hit on Netflix.

It didn't get a lot of hype which was unfortunate because it's so much more than just a "MMA movie". My fiance thought it was just going to be some stupid fighting movie and came out of the theater actually touched because it is a wonderful drama, with amazing performances from everyone involved. I don't want to say Nick Nolte got snubbed on his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor but 2012 was an odd year for winners in my personal opinion.

Plus Kurt Angle as the Russian Koba, GOAT!

It didn't get a lot of hype which was unfortunate because it's so much more than just a "MMA movie". My fiance thought it was just going to be some stupid fighting movie and came out of the theater actually touched because it is a wonderful drama, with amazing performances from everyone involved. I don't want to say Nick Nolte got snubbed on his Oscar for Best Supporting Actor but 2012 was an odd year for winners in my personal opinion.

Plus Kurt Angle as the Russian Koba, GOAT!

Right that's what I thought exactly. Just some stupid fighting movie. Then a friend of mine who's a Netflix warrior (pun intended) told me to watch it. I was like how can this be good, boy was I wrong.

This is the end is supposedly fantastic, I'll get around to seeing that soon. The past superman movies I have seen are all not very good, 

lol who told you This is the End was "fantastic"? Nothing ive read so far has said that, interesting

IDK which superman's you watched but Superman I and II are classics, check them out. 

I did enjoy Warrior, sports movies usually arent the greatest and fall victim to the same plot holes and cliches but the strong performances of Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte made up for the lackluster story writing 

• Upvote (+1) 1