CyReN

Film Discussion

@ I heard not to watch it in IMAX since it'll have to be in 3D as well.

Watching this later...so giddy.

Yeah George Miller said to see it standard. I enjoyed it 10x more than I would've if I had gone to the IMAX. 

I recommend standard. @

I very rarely go to the movie theater (I probably average one visit every two years), but my friend bought me a ticket to Mad Max: Fury Road so I'd go with him and that movie was simply amazing. It really goes to show you that a movie isn't just plot, dialogue, and acting; the acting is good in the movie, but what really sets it apart from other action movies is the cinematography, editing, sound mixing and editing, visual story boarding, etc. The things that few casual movie fans talk about get done so well in this movie that it doesn't really need to have much of a plot beyond "the entire movie is a car chase" or really have to develop the characters much. George Miller and company did so many technical things, like lowering the framerate below 24 fps before speeding it up to create "slower" moments within a high-paced action scene, that go unmentioned but make the movie what it is.

The setting of the movie was a real shock to me since I've only seen the first Mad Max and I have no idea how we got from 80s Australia during an oil shortage to full on dystopian future with no water. But it was really cool to see the actor who played Toe Cutter from the first movie come back and do a good job playing the villain in this movie.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Theron fucking owns. Really enjoyed Nicholas Hault's arc as the sick, naive War Boy who wants to prove his worth. There needs to be an Academy award for all those stuntmen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know why I'm still thinking about this but another thing that annoys me about that film crit hulk article (as well as the comments on it) is that it completely underestimates the film's commentary on the dangers and difficult moral questions posed by true AI. One comment even says "Honestly its barely a film about AI."

no

Caught Rope on tv this morning. Missed the first half hour or so unfortunately but I was able to catch on quite quick anyway just due to the nature of the film (few characters, one location). I'll go back and watch the full thing soon but as it stands I'd still say its my new favourite Hitchcock. Really loved it

Yea its pretty amazing how easy to follow the action was considering how complex some of the scenes were (multiple cars with people moving from vehicle to vehicle).

I was reading a book a while ago that went over stuff like framing and how to work with space and positioning of people over multiple shots etc. Well George Miller may aswell have written the book because the way certain vehicles exit a shot this way, enter another shot that way, and play in relation to other vehicles around them was truly incredible. Everything was fast and loud and intense, but always visually understandable.

Also I saw someone quote a review that said something like "the first chase scene is one of the best action scenes ever made and its still the worst one in the film" which is pretty spot on. You know you're doing something right when a chase scene that invloves a convoy of people driving into a what looks like the apocolypse (in the form of a giant sandstorm) ISN'T the best setpiece in your film.

fuck sake I need to go see it again

After watching, I can see why this film took like 5-6 years to make and 3 years to film. You have to get the right weather, actors' schedules need to match (with the various reshoots), stuntmen need to be protected, everything has to be so intricate, etc

The color in this film is pretty vibrant yet so grimy and ugly. John Seale a shot the fuck out of this.

Love when Rosie Huntington-Whiteley uses her pregnancy as a shield (for Furiosa) and a weapon. That was moving shit.

Dang, Gus Van Sant's Sea of Trees is getting destroyed at Cannes right now. The McConnaisance has its first blemish.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Furious 7 was a beautiful mess

Seeing Pitch Perfect 2 tomorrow(lol) and Mad Max monday

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Mad Max was so worth the hype. I loved everything about the movie :) 

• Upvote (+1) 5

so far none of you have said anything negative about it, my hype meter couldn't get any higher

IVE BEEN HYPED FOR MONTHS I LOVE POST APPCALYPTIC FILMS

so far none of you have said anything negative about it, my hype meter couldn't get any higher

That means scalzo wont like it/see it

I don't know why I'm still thinking about this but another thing that annoys me about that film crit hulk article (as well as the comments on it) is that it completely underestimates the film's commentary on the dangers and difficult moral questions posed by true AI. One comment even says "Honestly its barely a film about AI."

no

looks like ava fooled Hulk too (or was that a reader comment?). Either way, Turing test: passed!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Got to the theater on Friday an hour before Pitch Perfect 2 and was about half way in line. Got to the theater tonight an hour before Mad Max and was first in line. Hopefully Max does well enough at the box office, deserves all the praise it has gotten.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Got to the theater on Friday an hour before Pitch Perfect 2 and was about half way in line. Got to the theater tonight an hour before Mad Max and was first in line. Hopefully Max does well enough at the box office, deserves all the praise it has gotten.

Some of the best movies in history were flops. (Citizen Kane, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, etc.) 

Box office doesn't mean much especially when its rated R. It deserves to make a lot of money though, it was spectacular and if George Miller had more planned, I'd love to see it!

@ Domestic gross means less nowadays, but still important with this being a $150 mil rated R film. We need it to do well financially because it's extremely vital to get the sequel(s) greenlit. I hope it isn't this year's Edge of Tomorrow.

• Upvote (+1) 2

looks like ava fooled Hulk too (or was that a reader comment?). Either way, Turing test: passed!

That is so hilariously meta

In other news, I'm very hungover and plan on watching like 5 films today. Gonna be fun

Edge of Tomorrow was my favorite movie made last year, hopefully this is the same! Going to see at 11:15, so I shouldn't see it in 3D right??

Sorry to be the debbie downer but I didn't think Mad Max was all that. To me, it was basically like The Raid films but on wheels. The action was good, but I didn't find it as exhilarating as everyone's making it out to be. The audience in the theatre didn't seem too thrilled by it either, so it wasn't just me.

6.5/10.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3