Sign in to follow this  
Loch

I never get host

I didn't think this theory would work...but it seems to have paid off, or at the very least a big coincidence

I had a slim that I bought on Black Friday to replace my 3yr old phat which has been having disc drive issues. I took it out of the box, popped in halo and played for a couple hours.

I pulled host 75% of the time. I tried out lots of different playlists BTB, TS, Dominion, CTF, I got host most of the time.

Weird that it worked (sort of)

Oh btw my connection speed is 50/5

I didn't think this theory would work...but it seems to have paid off, or at the very least a big coincidence

I had a slim that I bought on Black Friday to replace my 3yr old phat which has been having disc drive issues. I took it out of the box, popped in halo and played for a couple hours.

I pulled host 75% of the time. I tried out lots of different playlists BTB, TS, Dominion, CTF, I got host most of the time.

Weird that it worked (sort of)

Oh btw my connection speed is 50/5

Not a coincidence. New Xbox's have a fresh host record so the likelihood of pulling host is high. Furthermore, Slims have more of a chance to pull host than the older Xbox's I believe. 

That's why a lot of the time you get Guitardude81563 pulling host in Throwdown when he's an SR5 because his Mummy bought him Halo 4 and a new Xbox for his Birthday.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Strangely I've been getting host somewhat often recently and I have horrible internet

I get like 3 down and 1 up on a good day

Strangely I've been getting host somewhat often recently and I have horrible internet

I get like 3 down and 1 up on a good day

You don't get host based on your internet speed. Just host history. 

You don't get host based on your internet speed. Just host history. 

oh okay, what exactly does that entail? I always thought it went off speed because everyone always talks about it like that.

oh okay, what exactly does that entail? I always thought it went off speed because everyone always talks about it like that.

I'm not too knowledgeable about it, all I really know is that you host history goes down or negative every time you don't get host, so I guess the person with the least negative history in the lobby pulls host. I think.

If you know how to place your xbox ip into the DMZ on your router you will pull host much more often. Turns your xbox into the hostbox.

I've set up port forwarding, which is literally the same thing - DMZ is just the "less secure" way of doing it.

2828159961.png Its funny because this isn't fake  :(

Ouch, and I thought mine was bad.

2828197327.png

I've set up port forwarding, which is literally the same thing - DMZ is just the "less secure" way of doing it.

Its perfectly acceptavle to leave your xbox in a DMZ. Nobody can "hack" your Xbox remotely, and even of they could what would they do? Delete your halo game saves?

If you have more than one Xbox in your house though you have to enable UPnP. The first Xbox takes port 3074 and the 2nd will take a random port....UPnP is the only way both consoles will have an open NAT

Yeah I am aware of how this all works; but I think it's more about what people were saying above. My friend has slower internet than me in the same city, and he gets host very often - must be the record attached to my actual box. I believe I live close to a MS data center (Washington?) - so if the consoles ping MS to determine host (as opposed to each other) then I should have an advantage.

My ping is what you see there, if not lower at times - my jitter is between 0 and 1ms and I never have more than 0% packet loss. Really should get host a lot more - I think it has to do with my console.

Your host record is all that matters, and since you seem to be Canadian your host record is probably trash if you played a lot with non-Canadians in the past.  I don't know what it is about Canadian internet, but it seems to really suck when it comes to routing to US ISP's.  You can try to build up a better host record by playing a lot of Doubles with someone you ping well to, and who also doesn't typically pull host.  With less people in the game you have a higher chance of pulling host since you're only competing with 3 other people for host.  You'll probably actually pull host more than 1 in 4 because you said your ports are forwarded.  It might start off slow, but once you pull host a couple times you should see it happening more.  In the long run though your host record will degrade unless you start to only play with other Canadians in your party.       

Your ping to the Xbox Live servers doesn't matter at all.  Nobody knows for sure how host selection and host record work, but it probably works something like this:

1.  Matchmaking server finds number of players required to start a game

2.  Matchmaking server sends all IP addresses of partied players to everyone in the party

3.  Everyone's Xbox attempts to communicate with each Xbox involved with the game being set up

4.  Once everyone's Xbox knows who it's able to connect to it sends that information to Matchmaking server along with latency information of your connection attempts to each player

5.  Matchmaking server creates a list of Xbox's in that party who are able to be seen by everyone over the internet (people with their ports forwarded)

6.  Matchmaking server takes an average of latency for all the various connections, and then presumably weights it against the host record of the Xbox's on that list

7.  Matchmaking server makes a guess of who will be the best host based on that latency info weighted against host record

8.  Matchmaking server tells all players involved which Xbox it guessed to be the best host, and then sends map/gametype voting options to the host

9.  Host Xbox takes over party hosting duties, and the map/gametype voting option loads from that Xbox

There is probably a lot more going on that than, but it's probably a good approximation judging by the results I've seen from playing thousands of matchmaking games in various Halo's.  

Its perfectly acceptavle to leave your xbox in a DMZ. Nobody can "hack" your Xbox remotely, and even of they could what would they do? Delete your halo game saves?

If you have more than one Xbox in your house though you have to enable UPnP. The first Xbox takes port 3074 and the 2nd will take a random port....UPnP is the only way both consoles will have an open NAT

I understand that, which is why I put it in quotations. It's simply not the way I chose to do it because port forwarding is the right way to do it.

Your host record is all that matters, and since you seem to be Canadian your host record is probably trash if you played a lot with non-Canadians in the past.  I don't know what it is about Canadian internet, but it seems to really suck when it comes to routing to US ISP's.  You can try to build up a better host record by playing a lot of Doubles with someone you ping well to, and who also doesn't typically pull host.  With less people in the game you have a higher chance of pulling host since you're only competing with 3 other people for host.  You'll probably actually pull host more than 1 in 4 because you said your ports are forwarded.  It might start off slow, but once you pull host a couple times you should see it happening more.  In the long run though your host record will degrade unless you start to only play with other Canadians in your party.       

Your ping to the Xbox Live servers doesn't matter at all.  Nobody knows for sure how host selection and host record work, but it probably works something like this:

1.  Matchmaking server finds number of players required to start a game

2.  Matchmaking server sends all IP addresses of partied players to everyone in the party

3.  Everyone's Xbox attempts to communicate with each Xbox involved with the game being set up

4.  Once everyone's Xbox knows who it's able to connect to it sends that information to Matchmaking server along with latency information of your connection attempts to each player

5.  Matchmaking server creates a list of Xbox's in that party who are able to be seen by everyone over the internet (people with their ports forwarded)

6.  Matchmaking server takes an average of latency for all the various connections, and then presumably weights it against the host record of the Xbox's on that list

7.  Matchmaking server makes a guess of who will be the best host based on that latency info weighted against host record

8.  Matchmaking server tells all players involved which Xbox it guessed to be the best host, and then sends map/gametype voting options to the host

9.  Host Xbox takes over party hosting duties, and the map/gametype voting option loads from that Xbox

There is probably a lot more going on that than, but it's probably a good approximation judging by the results I've seen from playing thousands of matchmaking games in various Halo's.  

I would argue that most of the shitty internet comes from the US - not Canada or any other country. Canada certainly has some bad internet, but most users are are fairly decent internet plans (20mbps down, 2 up type plans) whereas the same users in the states are on 1 down 0.2 up. But your recommendation for doubles to improve my host record is a good one - thanks for that.

Recently discover that Ethernet cable + being from Colombia = 9/10 host lol.

2828584371.png

My favourite part is that this is faster than 2/3 connections in Columbia

The way a host is chosen needs to be changed. I live in the UK and it's never ideal playing on a US host but much better than when a Mexican or Colombian person pulls host.

My internet is great for Europeans and is still decent for US residents but it doesn't stop people leaving a doubles lobby if they didn't get host. Yes I'm talking about you Heinz and Diesel.

Really hope search features come back such as;

good connection, region, skill etc. but if they go down the dedicated servers route Halo will be great online like Battlefield

This is sitting as close the the router as I can.. I have never had a game that didn't lag, and most times I can't load a single webpage...

2828849639.png

I would argue that most of the shitty internet comes from the US - not Canada or any other country. Canada certainly has some bad internet, but most users are are fairly decent internet plans (20mbps down, 2 up type plans) whereas the same users in the states are on 1 down 0.2 up. But your recommendation for doubles to improve my host record is a good one - thanks for that.

It's not that Canadian internet is necessarily bad, but it's routing just seems to suck to ISP's outside of Canada.  So for the purposes of online gaming where the majority of players are in the US everyone who isn't in the US has "bad internet".  It's not about your personal connection, it's all about how efficiently your ISP can route traffic to it's destination, and when that destination is far outside their network, and with another ISP they're not directly peered to you end up with a lot of latency.   That guy with a US connection that's 1/0.2 like you say is in a far better position than you because he probably get's his internet from AT&T or some other massive communications company that's directly peered, or linked through a tier 1 intermediary with other massive companies like Verizon, Comcast, etc.  That guys packets are making less hops overall, and thus he sees much lower latency in a game full of US players compared to you.  

We'll all be much better off when dedicated servers come.  Just by having games hosted by real servers, in real datacenters, with real deal connections, latency will drop across the board, and having to play people on their "bad internet" with mostly be a thing of the past in terms of being on the same continent.  You should be seeing ping times to servers in the US similar to what you get by testing different areas on pingtest.net (probably around 80-120ms), whereas now you probably getting 200-400ms to US players on their personal ISP.    

In the meantime, look on the bright side.  At least you don't have to play on Mexican internet, or have to live the nightmare of being a Halo multiplayer fan in Australia.