Sign in to follow this  
Loch

I never get host

It's just like.. Why do pay for the good stuff if you're gonna feed me this shitty host???  :frank:

Obligatory post your speed test results.

2824795023.png

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Unfortunately I remember reading that the determination of the host relies heavily on your upload speed. Your ping and download speed are excellent but your upload for todays day and age is meh. DOCSIS 3.0 and fiber optics are constantly pushing over 100mbps of upload speed, that would seem to be your problem.

-Inversion

Not to mention that once you have a host record with a box, your most recent connection no longer plays a factor in getting host or not.

I pull host with my internet soo much. It's not even good for me, yesterday it was my host and people were still warping/skipping around

2824951345.png

Strangely, I never get host either. According to some people online, this internet helps me to be good. Urrrmmmm, no.

2825115260.png

2825214448.png People are lucky i never get host lol. Got host a couple time, all i heard through my mic was just bitchin.

With the Xbox 360 Slim, you stand a better chance of getting host according to Nak3d Eli. I only get host when I'm not playing against people from the U.S. or when I'm having a 1v1.

BTW, my Download Speed is >8 Mbps, Upload Speed is 1 mbps, and Ping is 30 ms.

It's all about your xbox's host registry. I bought a fresh xbox to use over the summer while I'm stuck in the US and because of it's fresh host registry, I pull host consistently despite my god awful connection. I barely break 1 down and 0.5 up.

Speed test results have absolutely nothing to do with how good of a potential host you are.  Bandwidth isn't how "fast" your internet is, but rather a measure of how much stuff you can send or receive at once.  Bandwidth only matters until you meet the minimum required to host however many players are in the game.  The amount of bandwidth required per person is very low.  With 1-1.5Mb up you should be able to host BTB games with no bandwidth issues.  Having more than that does absolutely nothing.  

The ping you see off of those tests is completely irrelevant too.  You're choosing a server that is geographically close to you, and is likely a server run by your ISP, or at least is directly peered with your ISP at a junction/data center very close to you.  Measuring your latency across your ISP's network means nothing because you're not just playing people on your network.  

If you want to do something that's more accurate you can go to http://www.pingtest.net/.  This will measure your ping, packet loss, and jitter.  Test on multiple servers, and not just ones that are close to you.  Packet loss is a measurement of how many of the packets you send are successfully received, and jitter is the variance in latency over the course of multiple pings.  If you get very low ping, packet loss and jitter over a large geographic region you're probably a decent host.  Doing this still isn't entirely accurate though because the servers you're testing on are run by ISP's, tier 1 bandwidth providers, and datacenter operators.  This means that these servers are typically going to be located at very good places with multiple links to major providers.  This means the routing path your packets are taking is likely to be very efficient.  Things tend to be much less efficient when you're sending from one residential line to another on a different ISP which is what happens on Xbox Live generally.  

If you're trying to maximize your chances at pulling host your best option is to play with others that are geographically close to you, or on the same ISP regardless of where they are located.  Either you, or one of your friends will probably pull host every time assuming all your host records aren't absolute garbage, and you're not playing against a group doing something similar (aka Mexicans).  When it comes down to it though you have very little control over your ability to pull host.

Speed test results have absolutely nothing to do with how good of a potential host you are.  Bandwidth isn't how "fast" your internet is, but rather a measure of how much stuff you can send or receive at once.  Bandwidth only matters until you meet the minimum required to host however many players are in the game.  The amount of bandwidth required per person is very low.  With 1-1.5Mb up you should be able to host BTB games with no bandwidth issues.  Having more than that does absolutely nothing.  

The ping you see off of those tests is completely irrelevant too.  You're choosing a server that is geographically close to you, and is likely a server run by your ISP, or at least is directly peered with your ISP at a junction/data center very close to you.  Measuring your latency across your ISP's network means nothing because you're not just playing people on your network.  

If you want to do something that's more accurate you can go to http://www.pingtest.net/.  This will measure your ping, packet loss, and jitter.  Test on multiple servers, and not just ones that are close to you.  Packet loss is a measurement of how many of the packets you send are successfully received, and jitter is the variance in latency over the course of multiple pings.  If you get very low ping, packet loss and jitter over a large geographic region you're probably a decent host.  Doing this still isn't entirely accurate though because the servers you're testing on are run by ISP's, tier 1 bandwidth providers, and datacenter operators.  This means that these servers are typically going to be located at very good places with multiple links to major providers.  This means the routing path your packets are taking is likely to be very efficient.  Things tend to be much less efficient when you're sending from one residential line to another on a different ISP which is what happens on Xbox Live generally.  

If you're trying to maximize your chances at pulling host your best option is to play with others that are geographically close to you, or on the same ISP regardless of where they are located.  Either you, or one of your friends will probably pull host every time assuming all your host records aren't absolute garbage, and you're not playing against a group doing something similar (aka Mexicans).  When it comes down to it though you have very little control over your ability to pull host.

Yeah I am aware of how this all works; but I think it's more about what people were saying above. My friend has slower internet than me in the same city, and he gets host very often - must be the record attached to my actual box. I believe I live close to a MS data center (Washington?) - so if the consoles ping MS to determine host (as opposed to each other) then I should have an advantage.

My ping is what you see there, if not lower at times - my jitter is between 0 and 1ms and I never have more than 0% packet loss. Really should get host a lot more - I think it has to do with my console.

2705027874.png

:) but still don't host that often. But that is probably because i have an old xbox.

Ping a server on the west coast of North America, that's why. lol.

Unfortunately I remember reading that the determination of the host relies heavily on your upload speed. Your ping and download speed are excellent but your upload for todays day and age is meh. DOCSIS 3.0 and fiber optics are constantly pushing over 100mbps of upload speed, that would seem to be your problem.

-Inversion

I have one of the fastest residential upload speeds available in Canada. ;( I think you can get up to 15mbps absolute max, but that requires you to go with a 250mbps download speed - the ratios in Canada are attrocious.

Halo 4 has something where if you don't get host a lot, you normally won't get it at all.

Host memorization.

Also when im host, which is rather often, it kind of hurts me because other peoples strafes are instant and fast. 

2825827828.png

I pull host often in FFA, but for the strangest reasons I never seem to pull host in team playlists. Probably a good thing with this FFA tournament going on, I'm not a good player so I need any advantage I can take.

My internet is a few Mb/s better if I use a wired connection. 

2825852753.png

I pull host alot with this connection strangely. Luckily, I barely received any complaints with this connection, even though my upload speed is shit.

I have one of the fastest residential upload speeds available in Canada. ;( I think you can get up to 15mbps absolute max, but that requires you to go with a 250mbps download speed - the ratios in Canada are attrocious.

In Manitoba I get 20 mbps down and 2 Mbps up... It's only 40$ a month so I'm happy. I get hat I pay for ...there is barely any drop off.. It's between 17-20 Mbps down and it's always always always 2mbps up

I never pull host and am very glad I don't. I have a first generation 360 which lowers my chances quite a bit. I'm not mad about it though, because my host is... well, it's terrible.

2825886795.png