ZacheryChevere

Should Halo Wars 2 Go the Competitive Route?

Now that the hype around Halo Wars 2 is starting to rise, do you think the competitive route for HW2 is the right way to go for the game? Large events, Online Cups, Organizations and massive sponsors. Do you think all of this would be the best for HW2? Let me know!!!

They should actually focus on allowing people to get past the main menu without it freezing first. Jesus. What a joke.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The game should focus on allowing people to get past the main menu without it freezing first. Jesus. What a joke.

To be fair its a rushed beta.

Next beta for W10 and X1 we should make better judgement about performance.

I think it should casual playlists and a ranked playlist.

Im not sure if it will be competitive tho, there needs to be a demand. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did anyone here follow competitive Starcraft or even play RTS's on a regular basis? As someone who has, I find Halo Wars 2 to be the least competitive RTS out there. I'm not saying that lightly either. It was the same with Halo Wars 1 and Halo Wars 2 is hardly different in terms of mechanics and play style.

Too many large units and not enough small. This is the largest problem with Halo Wars and why I can't see it going competitive. There are too many "one huge vehicle" units and it doesn't make up for it with smaller units (which there should always be a considerable amount more of). Small units make up all the meta. CA, like Ensemble, seem to concentrate more on "this is awesome" rather than "this is practical". And the Halo universe can easily support this with differently ranked UNSC serviceman and the same with the Covenant and all their different species. Also the speed of the units and unit cap needs to be increased.

The main reason why I don't think HW2 will be competitive because judging by how this game was made, CA doesn't want this game to be competitive. It's not their goal. Their goal is to make a fun campaign and light-hearted multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Did anyone here follow competitive Starcraft or even play RTS's on a regular basis? As someone who has, I find Halo Wars 2 to be the least competitive RTS out there. I'm not saying that lightly either. It was the same with Halo Wars 1 and Halo Wars 2 is hardly different in terms of mechanics and play style.

Too many large units and not enough small. This is the largest problem with Halo Wars and why I can't see it going competitive. There are too many "one huge vehicle" units and it doesn't make up for it with smaller units (which there should always be a considerable amount more of). Small units make up all the meta. CA, like Ensemble, seem to concentrate more on "this is awesome" rather than "this is practical". And the Halo universe can easily support this with differently ranked UNSC serviceman and the same with the Covenant and all their different species. Also the speed of the units and unit cap needs to be increased.

The main reason why I don't think HW2 will be competitive because judging by how this game was made, CA doesn't want this game to be competitive. It's not their goal. Their goal is to make a fun campaign and light-hearted multiplayer.

As someone who played Halo Wars 1 competitively for years, this really isn't true. The big units were never really used outside of tanks, and the game has always centered around mobility (hogs, banshees, covenant teleporting).

The thing that separates Halo Wars from something like Starcraft is that you can't wall off, and the aggression starts from the moment the game begins. You have to be constantly pressuring your opponent throughout the entire match, and because of that games rarely get to a point where there are big max armies of higher tier big units. You're typically working with smaller armies.

Halo Wars definitely has its issues with inconsistent AI, balance problems (too many useless units, and of the good ones many don't see use), and of course the game is much easier to physically play (you don't need to press a lot of buttons to macro well).

From a Halo Wars 1 perspective, if it deserves to be excluded from the "in-crowd, " it's not for the reasons you listed, and it being a controller-centric game doesn't hold it back either. It's a fast-paced, unique RTS that makes up for its simplicity by compressing the important decisions of an entire RTS game into a short amount of time.

Halo Wars 2 beta is releasing its standard mode today, so we can watch the high level players to see how this new game plays out with the infantry-focused early game and such. It's really impossible to judge the game based on the beta so far because of how garbage the game mode has been. It has pretty much forced players to turtle and then determine the outcome of the game over one engagement.

I will say that based on the reworked unlock order of units and the greater utility that you seem to be able to get out of smaller amounts of different units, we're probably going to be seeing more unit variety from individual players than Halo Wars 1, which is a good thing as long as the pace of the game doesn't get destroyed by the loss of early-game scout armies and leader teleporting. I think that by the 29th, we'll have a better idea of this game's fundamentals.

*edit*

By the way, the beta meta so far has been an infantry core with a variety of other units, so yeah, it's been a considerable amount of small units with a few big ones serving as difference-makers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Being a controller-centric game does hold it back. On the most basic level you'll never ever be able to control as many individual units or groups of units with as much speed and accuracy as you can with M/KB. I'm not usually one to down play console input devices but I feel like we forgot what genre this game is apart of. Anything can be competitive but that doesn't mean it has anywhere near the depth of any of the higher tiered RTS games. Halo Wars is about struggling to do the basics of what you do in any RTS with a fundamentally inferior input device in a world designed to ease that burden. Its fun but it is not and will not be comparable to something like SC as far as being a competitive title goes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Exlcuisve console RTS doesn't get any worst than that, literally a dying genre on a dying console on a fatigued franchise. Let's not get carried away. The only reason we have a Halo eSports is because MS is venturing capital into it, they are giving away loke 200k dollars for ProLeague and get 5000 viewers in the matches, and 1k for EU.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exlcuisve console RTS doesn't get any worst than that, literally a dying genre on a dying console on a fatigued franchise. Let's not get carried away. The only reason we have a Halo eSports is because MS is venturing capital into it, they are giving away loke 200k dollars for ProLeague and get 5000 viewers in the matches, and 1k for EU.

It's on PC as well.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If h5 can go the "competitive route," anything can.

That's what I was thinking. I'd enjoy a few HW2 tournaments though. I could watch competitive HW1 for days. 1v1, at least.
  • Upvote (+1) 1