Hard Way

Which game had worse gameplay at launch, Reach or The 4?

What had worse gameplay at launch, Reach or The 4?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Which game had worse gameplay AT LAUNCH?

• Reach
    • The 4

Yeah, SWAT was in BTB. I remember how fucked red team would be on Boneyard for SWAT. Countdown was in Big Team too and was a nightmare to play. It always turned into a grenade/armor lock clusterfuck.

Probably never played it because I never played btb in less than a party of 8. W3 could control the vote unless we matched another party and nobody would vote for that.

Oh, apperently I did play it.

https://halo.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=461597741&player=CoooooooooooP

I'd like to take a moment to "thank" Bungie for ruining Halo with Reach. Thanks Bungie! Great job.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'd give it to 4

Reach was bad but 4 was bad and insulting.

It pretty much said that core halo fans were unimportant and that catering to COD fans was what halo was about now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Surprisingly enough, you still get matches on Halo 4. I wonder why some people still play that abomination.

Reach by comparison is still very well populated, so I think that the player base has decided which one they like more.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Feature wise Reach is clearly a much better put together and more complete game.

However, I would say that H4 is much better as far as default gameplay goes.

Reach has bloom, and also no melee bleedthrough (which meant that you could shoot someone sprinting at you 3 times with a DMR and then melee but you would only pop shields and do absolutely ZERO health damage).

H4 removed the above cancer, and also at least tried to balance AAs better (Hardlight shield is way better than Armor Lock, Jetpack doesn't have as much fuel, Hologram is more convincing, Camo doesn't make your own Motion Tracker useless, Regen Field doesn't make you invincible, the only clearly terrible one was Promethean Vision), even though yes, they should have ALWAYS been map pickups.

H4 also at least tried to make maps with the gameplay in mind, where Reach pretty much just used maps found in campaign.

Reach has many more much worse default maps than H4 IMO, in H4 there were terrible maps but not a single one is anywhere near Swordbase or Uncaged (Forge, I know, but still default), in terms of cancer levels.

Also, in H4 it feels like your Spartan remembered that he could still jump, at least a little. Reach jumping is so low it makes me almost want Clamber (thankfully they increased the jump height in H4).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Feature wise Reach is clearly a much better put together and more complete game.

However, I would say that H4 is much better as far as default gameplay goes.

Reach has bloom, and also no melee bleedthrough (which meant that you could shoot someone sprinting at you 3 times with a DMR and then melee but you would only pop shields and do absolutely ZERO health damage).

H4 removed the above cancer, and also at least tried to balance AAs better (Hardlight shield is way better than Armor Lock, Jetpack doesn't have as much fuel, Hologram is more convincing, Camo doesn't make your own Motion Tracker useless, Regen Field doesn't make you invincible, the only clearly terrible one was Promethean Vision), even though yes, they should have ALWAYS been map pickups.

H4 also at least tried to make maps with the gameplay in mind, where Reach pretty much just used maps found in campaign.

Reach has many more much worse default maps than H4 IMO, in H4 there were terrible maps but not a single one is anywhere near Swordbase or Uncaged (Forge, I know, but still default), in terms of cancer levels.

Also, in H4 it feels like your Spartan remembered that he could still jump, at least a little. Reach jumping is so low it makes me almost want Clamber (thankfully they increased the jump height in H4).

Omg I forgot that Reach had no bleedtrough at release, Jesus that game was truly cancer .

I was looking at the first posts and was thinking "how come I haven't seen this thread before, all these posts are from june," and then I realized it was just an old thread bumped from june 2016.

Ayeee I forgot about this thread lol. This was a fun conversation topic to read.

In 2017 my updated answer is still the same. Definitely going with Sprint + Armor Lock + Bloom + Camo + Terrible Framerates + Sword Base as the worst launch gameplay experience in Halo. 

Surprisingly enough, you still get matches on Halo 4. I wonder why some people still play that abomination.

Reach by comparison is still very well populated, so I think that the player base has decided which one they like more.

Fun fact: Halo 4 has more votes than Halo 3 on the Xbox One Backwards Compatibility vote list on Xbox's website. 

h4h3.png

Appalling if you ask me.. But oddly enough people actually did love that game. Still puzzles me to this day man lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fun fact: Halo 4 has more votes than Halo 3 on the Xbox One Backwards Compatibility vote list on Xbox's website. 

h4h3.png

Appalling if you ask me.. But oddly enough people actually did love that game. Still puzzles me to this day man lol.

As someone who started with 4, who has more hours on 4 than any other X360 game, and a SR130 on The 4, the Heavies playlist was a lot of fun. Even though it wasn't really a good Halo game, it wasn't all that buggy, had DEV MAPS, decent UI, playlist/gametype variety, decent matchmaking times, etc. All the hate for 4 is justified but at least it was a decently working game, something 343i hasn't really delivered since 

But with that said I'd MUCH rather have H3 BC than H4

As someone who started with 4, who has more hours on 4 than any other X360 game, and a SR130 on The 4, the Heavies playlist was a lot of fun. Even though it wasn't really a good Halo game, it wasn't all that buggy, had DEV MAPS, decent UI, playlist/gametype variety, decent matchmaking times, etc. All the hate for 4 is justified but at least it was a decently working game, something 343i hasn't really delivered since

But with that said I'd MUCH rather have H3 BC than H4

Decent UI ??. You liked the Pokémon Cards ??
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Why isn't h5 in this question?

Atleast reach and h4 got the fundemental feel of being able to aim in a shooter right.

H5

Windmill simulator.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No descope.

promethean vision.

boltshot.

try again.

Reach was several hundreds times better than the 4.

No, none of those things are worse than the two I listed. And default Reach is objectively the worst Halo experience of all time.

The primary reason it's the worst is because it doesn't work properly from a base fundamental level. The entire point of first-person shooters is to shoot things. The shooting aspect of the game is broken, hence why the entire game is broken. Bloom completely ruins Halo, even moreso than things like sprint or any of the things you listed. H4 conversely at least had competent consistent starting weapons with little to no randomness in the BR and DMR. And that's before we even get to the broken abilities and horrible maps. And other things like lack of any sort of ranking system. Reach is objectively the worst because it is fundamentally broken at a base level.

No descope.

promethean vision.

boltshot.

try again.

Reach was several hundreds times better than the 4.

Bloom, awful movement speed, jetpacks.

If H4 was released before Reach I would have played it more, I only played Reach in hopes that the series would get better but they gave us H4 and by that point I had no more patience.

• Upvote (+1) 1