Hard Way

Which game had worse gameplay at launch, Reach or The 4?

What had worse gameplay at launch, Reach or The 4?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Which game had worse gameplay AT LAUNCH?

• Reach
    • The 4

How was bloom worse than someone being able to spawn a sniper 5 feet in front of them? Halo 4 was worse in almost every way. Game didn't even have ranks ffs.

Because not being able to shoot straight affects you at every step of the game. If you're talking about competitive play I can see where you're coming from but for casual play I prefer gimmicky scorestreaks with a gun that shoots straight. Since both games were utterly unsuited for competitive play at launch I preferred the game in which I could at least have fun stomping noobs

• Upvote (+1) 4

Something that doesn't get talked about enough is that you could always spawn with a precision rifle in H4. Reach default with ar and pistol starts was not too fun

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because not being able to shoot straight affects you at every step of the game. If you're talking about competitive play I can see where you're coming from but for casual play I prefer gimmicky scorestreaks with a gun that shoots straight. Since both games were utterly unsuited for competitive play at launch I preferred the game in which I could at least have fun stomping noobs

Did anyone calculate how often spamming the trigger would win versus pacing shots and at what ranges? I remember the bloom circle being pretty big at launch, and I don't recall trigger spammers beating me more than 2-3 times a game, and that's at close range. Certainly they wouldnt randomly win mid/long range battles by luck on a single shot gun.

I don't remember the DMR being so random that you couldn't stomp noobs with it lol. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Did anyone calculate how often spamming the trigger would win versus pacing shots and at what ranges? I remember the bloom circle being pretty big at launch, and I don't recall trigger spammers beating me more than 2-3 times a game, and that's at close range. Certainly they wouldnt randomly win mid/long range battles by luck on a single shot gun.

I don't remember the DMR being so random that you couldn't stomp noobs with it lol. Maybe I'm wrong though.

A certain Snip3down clip demonstrates how shitty the bloom was.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

But if both players miss their first shot we're back to pure randomness again. I actually think swat was horrible in that game

Ya. Swat in Reach was terrible.

I think h5 swat with pistols is the best version of swat.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ya. Swat in Reach was terrible.

I think h5 swat with pistols is the best version of swat.

I liked Reach SWAT a lot, but I wouldn't argue against H5 Magnum SWAT being the best.  They're both pretty damn good.

I don't have any numbers but I know it was better to crouch+spam than to strafe+pace shots at certain ranges (esp close range). Spam body shots til they were one shot, then let it reset and headshot.

With host it was possible to spam 5 someone across btb maps but it wasn't often.

I don't care what anyone says. Harvest CTF was fun. Like a BTB Longest, and I love Longest flag.

I liked Reach SWAT a lot, but I wouldn't argue against H5 Magnum SWAT being the best.  They're both pretty damn good.

I just found you were way too slow in reach to make people miss. The DMR had crazy range so you could get picked off from nowhere. And the bloom would go crazy after one shot so multi kills on multiple poeple in quick succession could be tough.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't have any numbers but I know it was better to crouch+spam than to strafe+pace shots at certain ranges (esp close range). Spam body shots til they were one shot, then let it reset and headshot.

With host it was possible to spam 5 someone across btb maps but it wasn't often.

That didn't work. It was faster to spam and hope for a headshot, but expect to just hose down your opponent with body shots.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Oooooh gotcha. then yeah.

@@Sal1ent came here and said that Halo 5 had the best player retention since Halo 3, but failed to elaborate on how they were calculating that be it player percentage, games played, total number, etc. I highly doubt that it was just base concurrent players because there is no way that Halo 5 beats Reach in this regard and maybe it beats Halo 4, but Halo 4 sold more copies total so...

This is 343 again using metrics without context to dupe the fanbase into thinking something is more popular than it really is.

Halo 5 has higher player retention because halo reach and 4 drove literally 5+ million fans away from the franchise. The only people left buying the game are those who liked Halo 4 and who know what they are getting in to and already know they will probably enjoy 343s style of sprinty ability infused gameplay. So it's not surprising at all that in terms of ratio it probably has higher retention, but in terms of raw population I doubt it is doing any better than halo 4 because halo 4 could have lost literally twice as many players in terms of percentage but still be ahead of halo 5 in terms of raw population.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So is this a direct comparison between Reach and Halo 4 at launch, or are you asking "which Halo game was the worst at launch" and are assuming that most would pick Reach or 4? If it's the former, the answer is Reach. Halo 4 was okay when playing BTB because I feel its gameplay mechanics fit better in that kind of environment. But anything other than BTB was crap. If we're talking about any game in the Halo series, then Halo 2. That game was unplayable at launch.

How was bloom worse than someone being able to spawn a sniper 5 feet in front of them? Halo 4 was worse in almost every way. Game didn't even have ranks ffs.

And Reach did? Because Arena was so good right? Lol

Bloom and the garbage melee system is worse than everything in Halo history

The maps were worse too

There weren't any enjoyable maps in H4 until Simplex and Station 9 were created.

There weren't any good maps on Reach.

They needed to be significantly altered for MLG

Out of the box I enjoyed Countdown and Zealot 10x better than anything H4 had to offer but I guess thats just me. Not to mention Sanctuary and a few of the BTB maps were solid as fuck! Loved it.

Out of the box I enjoyed Countdown and Zealot 10x better than anything H4 had to offer but I guess thats just me. Not to mention Sanctuary and a few of the BTB maps were solid as fuck! Loved it.

I wouldn't say 10 times better

Theyre on the same level of shitty maps

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is it called "The 4"?

Doesn't deserve a title like that

Lol trying to make the game sound cool

"The 4"

• Downvote (-1) 2

There weren't any enjoyable maps in H4 until Simplex and Station 9 were created.

I much preferred Haven and Abandon over Midship 3.0 and Narrow Tubes: The Map.

I wouldn't say 10 times better

Theyre on the same level of shitty maps

Are you sure you aren't confusing maps with game mechanics?

countdown is one of the worst maps to ever hit the circuit.

Coming up next on Unpopular Opinions:

"Countdown: Better Than Any Map to Come Out of Halo 2?"

@@cordyceps

97Cy4vE.png

Use it.

The true ipb forum kings simply hit the quote button multiple times. Multiquote sends you to a new page. nahdudefuckthat
  • Upvote (+1) 2