Hard Way

Which game had worse gameplay at launch, Reach or The 4?

What had worse gameplay at launch, Reach or The 4?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Which game had worse gameplay AT LAUNCH?

• Reach
    • The 4

I probably would feel the same way about 4 as most people do around here, but I didn't have time to get sick of it.  I mean yeah, of course it was stupid, but it was still novel for me up until I shipped out to basic training (the game was like 4 months old at that point), and by the time I was able to play again, the Turbo update was out and the game was massively improved.

Reach made me stop playing altogether, and it's still the only Halo to make me do that.  I played Bad Company 2 for almost all of 2011.  I didn't get back into Reach until early 2012 because some buddies invited me over to LAN some MM with them.  It was my first time playing since the TU and I actually had a lot of fun, so I kept playing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

even if boltshot starts was poo, at least you could play decent games in customs. In reach you were stuck with the bloom dmr for a full fucking year. I'd rather play halo 4 on my 360 than any reach playlist with any type of bloom

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo Reach for sure: Bloom and Armor Lock are enough to make it the worst Halo Experience to date.

Well, excluding MMC launch of course, even though I enjoyed some 1v3 matches.

• Upvote (+1) 2

From a matchmaking standpoint, both games were equally terrible. As far as the gameplay goes, I believe Halo 4 was more polished than Reach off its launch.

Vanilla Reach was an absolute joke. Gun fights were almost always a gamble; You pace your shots, somebody spams. You spam, somebody paces. There was no clear cut way to shoot your DMR aside from implementing a crouch into your strafe. I wasn't a fan of pre-patch Reach for this very reason and while Halo 4 was probably the worst game in the franchise, I had no issue with inconsistent gun fights on launch day.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo Reach was worse for sure. In H4 I remember pubstomping and BTB was pretty fun in a loose and relaxing way.

The game and shooting at least felt smooth and the DMR was in a way that you could do a lot of damage. The frustration came when wanting to play in a competitive environment.

Reach was just painful in every way you were trying to play the game. Can't kill anybody. Bloom shitfest. Armor lock. Sluggish. Sword base. Please kill me!

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 4 had an amazing campaign for people who are aware of the extended universe.

FTFY. I'm not even saying it wasn't a good campaign, especially from a gameplay perspective, I had a blast with it. But some small writing problems really hurt the legibility of the story for anyone who hasn't read the books. I don't think the Storm's existence wasn't ever properly addressed beyond "I thought we had a truce", and having Del Rio or Lasky or someone just clarify that they are a group separate from the Arbiter would have been good. There was no sort of buildup or foreshadowing or anything that would make the Librarian scene easier to swallow, they just sort of vomit out a generalization of all the "pre-firing" lore at you all at once. Half the reason characters like the Arbiter and Johnson are so well liked is because they appear in the gameplay with you, so I'm really not sure why the new characters we don't know (non-EU readers, anyway) only appear in cutscenes, and THEN 343i expects the player to form some kind of relationship with them (and then in truly 343i fashion, did the exact opposite in Halo 5 with an overpopulated and omnipresent cast of gameplay characters).

But yeah, it was a fantastic campaign compared to Reach's.

FTFY. I'm not even saying it wasn't a good campaign, especially from a gameplay perspective, I had a blast with it. But some small writing problems really hurt the legibility of the story for anyone who hasn't read the books. I don't think the Storm's existence wasn't ever properly addressed beyond "I thought we had a truce", and having Del Rio or Lasky or someone just clarify that they are a group separate from the Arbiter would have been good. There was no sort of buildup or foreshadowing or anything that would make the Librarian scene easier to swallow, they just sort of vomit out a generalization of all the "pre-firing" lore at you all at once. Half the reason characters like the Arbiter and Johnson are so well liked is because they appear in the gameplay with you, so I'm really not sure why the new characters we don't know (non-EU readers, anyway) only appear in cutscenes, and THEN 343i expects the player to form some kind of relationship with them (and then in truly 343i fashion, did the exact opposite in Halo 5 with an overpopulated and omnipresent cast of gameplay characters).

But yeah, it was a fantastic campaign compared to Reach's.

Yes 343 isn't very good about making the extended Universe easy for the typical consumer easy to buy. Hopefully that gets rectified.

But I don't think we liked those characters because we played with them. Johnson was well received because he had as much depth as a tea spoon but was designed to have witty banter.

Here's how I've started seeing it. I love every Halo game because I've had enjoyable memorable moments with every Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Noob question: Why do people call it "The 4"?

Because it doesn't deserve the word halo?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Reach gets my vote, it was just awful but I toughed through it until it got a bit better. H4 was almost as bad but by that point I didn't have enough patience to stick through an awful game again and just quit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looking back, my friends and I were riding the hype of Halo 3 so that's probably why Reach was a better experience. I had people to play with at launch and the amazing Forge & Customs community balanced out the shitty aspects of Reach.

By the time The 4 came around, Halo was already dying at that point. The 4 just put the nail in the coffin. Nobody I knew played Halo anymore when it launched.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looking back, my friends and I were riding the hype of Halo 3 so that's probably why Reach was a better experience. I had people to play with at launch and the amazing Forge & Customs community balanced out the shitty aspects of Reach.

By the time The 4 came around, Halo was already dying at that point. The 4 just put the nail in the coffin. Nobody I knew played Halo anymore when it launched.

I just couldn't stomach Reach. Shitty maps like Boardwalk armor abilities and the Bloom. It was just to many mistakes in one game.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I just couldn't stomach Reach. Shitty maps like Boardwalk armor abilities and the Bloom. It was just to many mistakes in one game.

and the 4 was gutted from anything Halo.

At least I can shoot my gun straight in 4. Reach actively punished me for shooting in a first person shooter, absolute garbage game...before the patch. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

and the 4 was gutted from anything Halo.

I think that your memory has blocked default Reach, remeber camping in space in Zealot?. Armor lock battles, no bleed trough melee, BLOOM, swordbase, the "ranking system" were you played selfishly because only kills mattered. Default Reach is the reason Halo is dead now, probably the biggest franchise killer ever.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I enjoyed playing Halo 4 and Reach for the most part. Do I miss old Halo? Hell fucking yes. But if I said I didn't have fun with any Halo game, I would be lying.