Hard Way

Which game had worse gameplay at launch, Reach or The 4?

What had worse gameplay at launch, Reach or The 4?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Which game had worse gameplay AT LAUNCH?

• Reach
    • The 4

Talking strictly gameplay.  Obviously Reach was the better game overall because it's features blew 4 out of the water, but it's gameplay was in my opinion the worst Halo gameplay we've ever had, including Infinity TS with Boltshot starts.  Your thoughts?

I'm gonna go with Reach on this one. Boltshot and full loadoats sucked, but The 4 had maps that were actually somewhat playable (I find most of Reach's maps to be ridiculous), the strafe was a little better, the melee a little less bullshit, bleedthrough, grenades more bouncy, higher jumping, and less ridiculous spartan abilities.

On the other hand Reach had (marginally) less auto aim, descope, and a decent weapon sandbox.

Personally, I enjoyed vanilla 4 over Reach. I can't stand reach.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Any Halo gameplay that includes Loadouts, Sprint, Bloom, and Armor lock all in the same instance without a doubt gets the "worst" vote from me. Not to mention practically every map in Halo Reach minus Zealot and Countdown are just.. Awful. Especially the forge maps that lag out of the ass when you zoom in (hence why at MLG events, we never played Forge maps until split screen rounds were done).

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's a tough call for me. Vanilla Reach was awful, but I gotta go with The 4.

The 4 had inconsistent weapon encounters (Loadouts) along with completely terrible balance (Boltshot & DMR), 2-3 GUARANTEED Killstreaks per game, Random Weapons on Map, Instant Respawn, Armor Mods that added more randomness, and more.

Reach had broken armor abilities, shitty maps, and the bloom DMR. Absolutely terrible features and mechanics but it still resembled a Halo game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I went with The 4 as the worse launch experience, but Reach is still my least favorite game in the series overall. Bungie royally fucked over the series before letting go of the reins. They hold almost as much blame for where we are now as 343.

• Upvote (+1) 6

As I said previously in the H5G thread, and again assuming we are talking strictly gameplay (so basically comparing two average team slayer matches of each game) then I'd rather play H4 than Reach. How mechanics that are as anti-logic and anti-fun like Jetpack, Bloom, Armor Lock, Sprint and all the terrible maps made it past the drawing board is beyond me and I still blame Bungie for sending off Halo in a terrible direction as much as I blame 343 for not turning the wheel around when they got control.

Now don't get me wrong, H4's gameplay is almost as cancerous as vanilla Reach and if we factor in that every gametype outside of Team Slayer was a huge pile of shit in H4 and the levellng system and playlist management were hot garbage (like all 343i games) plus of course the wide varietly of experiences Reach offered with Invasion, the superior Forge, the multitude of playlists and customs games, then Reach easily wins

If we take it another step further and compare post-TU and especially Anniversary Reach to H4, it's a landslide victory for Reach. The overall Bloom reduction and of course the zero bloom gametypes really made that game something special, the Gold Pro settings are amazing and right up there with H1 and H2 for most competitive Halo (dead serious). The Anniversary playlists are the most fun I've had playing Halo outside of CE and H2 and while I'm aware it's nothing compared to real CE I still played the hell out of those playlists.

So as TLDR it goes something like this: Gold Pro Reach > v7 Reach > Anniversary > TU Reach > H4 Turbo > H4 Launch > Reach Vanilla

• Upvote (+1) 6

Vanilla settings for both games were pretty awful. The 4 stood out as the worst of the two evils to me primarily because of the stupid random ordinance drops, and Promethean Vision. I remember Adrift almost being a fun map until everyone just camped corners with boltshot and Promethean Vision. Reach had flaws, but I actually kept playing it through a majority of its lifespan.

I just looked up the maps from The 4 because I couldn't remember the name of Adrift, and then I realized I didn't recognize any of the DLC maps besides Pitfall (obvious reasons). I quit playing The 4 before any of these dropped, or just never cared to get them. Other than Haven I couldn't really remember any of the maps at all. Looking at pictures of them refreshed my memory and then made me remember that I disliked almost every map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reach, easily. Pre-patch Reach is the worst Halo experience of all time. You people just forget how bad it was and/or are only remembering NBNS (which was solid).

• Upvote (+1) 3

I should add a 3rd option for pre patch H2. Holy cow it was bad. Probably not as bad though.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Boltshots + Loadouts + Random PW Drops

vs

Armor abilities (armor lock), 100% bloom, and double derps.

Both had pretty terrible maps to be honest.

Zealot was terrible with space. Countdown was the only really solid map. Powerhouse & Reflection were decent.

Haven was the only good map in release for H4.

Reach, easily. Pre-patch Reach is the worst Halo experience of all time. You people just forget how bad it was and/or are only remembering NBNS (which was solid).

No. I remember. It was frustrating but it was atleast playable. H4 made me not only stop playing H4 but completely sell my xbox.

H4 was unbelievably bad.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I enjoyed Reach's vanilla gameplay a ton more than 4. I don't know if it was because I was in a clan and just actually had friends to play with, but Halo 4 was just a depressing time for me.