Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Quake Champions Discussion

Can you seriously tell me this is what Quake needs

Looks horrible honestly. Physics look clunky as well with the rocket jumping, hopefully it's just how they're playing the game.

EDIT;

That Shadowalk is just...what is this shit?  I hope it doesn't make you invincible, and invisibility should be a pickup if anything. I'm sure it will be absolutely awful having people appear out of nowhere with Quad and just wreck you. The game is in beta though, so hopefully Bethesda will change it if enough uproar is made over it.

I'm perfectly fine with wall jump and shield drops though.  Both seem like good or simply benign additions.

Honestly I'll probably get this game regardless.  It looks visually amazing, and gameplay wise even a heavily flawed Quake game is still far ahead of CoD, Overwatch, etc.  If I'm going to be dealing with ability bullshit then at least it might as well be in a game that actually has interesting and skillful shooting and movement mechanics.

I had heard the other day though that they decided to include a classic mode without the abilities.  Haven't looked into this rumor yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Worst case scenario: still a better FPS than Overwatch. The Shadowalk ability looks like some seriously stupid bullshit, though.

Looks horrible honestly. Physics look clunky as well with the rocket jumping, hopefully it's just how they're playing the game.

EDIT;

Literally looks like a different game movement wise from the earlier gameplay trailer. SMH...its getting worse and worse despite all the neg feedback they got from the trailer saying we dont want this BS we want Quake. On the bright side, this game is going to look beautiful on my Hi-rez 4k display <3  

Champions thing is bullshit but BETTER THAN NOTHING

I'd strongly disagree. I'd rather see Quake dead than to have its corpse raped like this.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'd strongly disagree. I'd rather see Quake dead than to have its corpse raped like this.

It looks pretty bad now, but lets also remember CS:GO also looked like crap in beta and all the pros were saying bad it was shit but now with a few changes and some support it went from crap to average and then it just got better from there. Sure, right now the game looks like Doom MP with UT mutators on but there is no way they can release it like that if they keep on getting neg feedback unless they want to ruin their rep forever. Its not irreparable by any means, it could just be this specific hero has crappy movement right now. It can only get less shitty from here!

It looks pretty bad now, but lets also remember CS:GO also looked like crap in beta and all the pros were saying bad it was shit but now with a few changes and some support it went from crap to average and then it just got better from there. Sure, right now the game looks like Doom MP with UT mutators on but there is no way they can release it like that if they keep on getting neg feedback unless they want to ruin their rep forever. It can only get less shitty from here!

CSGO didn't add player loadouts, individual health/armor/move speed/hitbox stats for each player skin, make players into armor shard pinatas, cooldown abilities, or focus on team sizes that were never common in the original game.

CSGO didn't add player loadouts, individual health/armor/move speed/hitbox stats for each player skin, make players into armor shard pinatas, cooldown abilities, or focus on team sizes that were never common in the original game.

Everyone should know if you were expecting an exact replica of Q3A from Bethesda in 2017. you were insane from the get go. That is like expecting Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield from Ubisoft in 2017. There might be a few heroes/abilities in this game classic Quake players detest, but it could of been alot worse. The clunky movement physics and rocket jumping is what strikes me as most worrisome. I can deal with a few gimmicks on a long CD, I cannot deal with bad gameplay mechanics.

Still can't tell if it's the people playing it or the physics themselves that are shitty. The actual look of it is really good (if not a bit overboard), why couldn't they just match the physics from the Q3. Real shame they're missing the opportunity to just put out a really really well made pure arena shooter because a lot of people will just see the abilities as a worse clone on OW as it's bound to be more clunky, in the meanwhile the core player base of the game gets pushed into the background to find their own feet.

Still can't tell if it's the people playing it or the physics themselves that are shitty. The actual look of it is really good (if not a bit overboard), why couldn't they just match the physics from the Q3. Real shame they're missing the opportunity to just put out a really really well made pure arena shooter because a lot of people will just see the abilities as a worse clone on OW as it's bound to be more clunky, in the meanwhile the core player base of the game gets pushed into the background to find their own feet.

Oh Yea, and how is the pure AFPS approach working for UT4 alpha? I have supported UT from the pre-alpha and its about as pure of an Arena shooter as you can get with regular updates and nobody fuckin plays it. Everyone says they want a pure arena FPS, well there is like 5 on the market right now in Toxikk, QL,Reflex, UT4,ect.. that peak at roughly 100 players daily go play them! The truth of the matter is the general population would shit themselves into a total mind fuck the likes they have never experienced before the first time they booted up Q3A and got raped so hard they would rage quit their first game mid-match. No, they would much rather play a game like OW where they can kick back on their fat asses and right click to victory and still feel good about their FPS skills or lack-thereof.

Meanwhile, the hardcore "pure AFPS" population has been dying off for years due to neglect and market trends and shows no signs of resurgence other than internet boards reminiscing on the time they played Quake DM when there was nothing else to play. Quake has always had different "gladiators" anyways and lacked personal connection with the player, the heroes are just ID's attempt to get people to care about their MP experience beyond hardcore FPS skills that only 0.01 percent of the population can attain to. The reality is, Quake Champions has a better chance to succeed than those other "pure AFPS" and that is sadly because it is NOT a pure AFPS. We need INNOVATORS in the AFPS genre for a legitimate successful comeback, not replica's of 90's nostalgia however glorious we remember it to be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh Yea, and how is the pure AFPS approach working for UT4 alpha? I have supported UT from the pre-alpha and its about as pure of an Arena shooter as you can get with regular updates and nobody fuckin plays it. Everyone says they want a pure arena FPS, well there is like 5 on the market right now in Toxikk, QL,Reflex, UT4,ect.. that peak at roughly 100 players daily go play them! The truth of the matter is the general population would shit themselves into a total mind fuck the likes they have never experienced before the first time they booted up Q3A and got raped so hard they would rage quit their first game mid-match. No, they would much rather play a game like OW where they can kick back on their fat asses and right click to victory and still feel good about their FPS skills or lack-thereof.

Meanwhile, the hardcore "pure AFPS" population has been dying off for years due to neglect and market trends and shows no signs of resurgence other than internet boards reminiscing on the time they played Quake DM when there was nothing else to play. Quake has always had different "gladiators" anyways and lacked personal connection with the player, the heroes are just ID's attempt to get people to care about their MP experience beyond hardcore FPS skills that only 0.01 percent of the population can attain to. The reality is, Quake Champions has a better chance to succeed than those other "pure AFPS" and that is sadly because it is NOT a pure AFPS. We need INNOVATORS in the AFPS genre for a legitimate successful comeback, not replica's of 90's nostalgia however glorious we remember it to be.

UT failed because it launched with the idea of being a long term project, a concept that's pretty much been tainted by shitty developers dragging money out of people or developers just falling flat on their arse with the size of the undertaking at hand (DayZ, 3 years still in alpha...). There's a little hype from nostalgia in the genre but no one is looking to get on board with a developing game. Overwatch was the first fresh game to be released in a decent state in a few years and it shot up in popularity, not only that but you get the same amount of development of the game while you're playing what feels like a finished product. Even the Doom release was vastly more successful than UT based on the polish and feel of the single player alone.

Quake Champs doesn't look like innovation at all. What it looks like to me is them seeing Overwatch breaking new ground with their own fresh polished game, completely missing the message and saying "we want that", cue Reaper/Sombra hybrid characters.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/10/14877004/quake-champions-free-to-play-full-price-favor-currency

Game is optionally free-to-play but the free version only has Ranger unlocked permanently, with all the other champions able to be rented temporarily through in-game currency. 

Alternatively you can just buy the game and get all of the champions permanently.

There will also be other ways to spend the in-game currency, and skins are confirmed.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/10/14877004/quake-champions-free-to-play-full-price-favor-currency

Game is optionally free-to-play but the free version only has Ranger unlocked permanently, with all the other champions able to be rented temporarily through in-game currency. 

Alternatively you can just buy the game and get all of the champions permanently.

There will also be other ways to spend the in-game currency, and skins are confirmed.

getting 343 vibes lol "renting champions" no thanks im out

UT failed because it launched with the idea of being a long term project, a concept that's pretty much been tainted by shitty developers dragging money out of people or developers just falling flat on their arse with the size of the undertaking at hand (DayZ, 3 years still in alpha...). There's a little hype from nostalgia in the genre but no one is looking to get on board with a developing game. Overwatch was the first fresh game to be released in a decent state in a few years and it shot up in popularity, not only that but you get the same amount of development of the game while you're playing what feels like a finished product. Even the Doom release was vastly more successful than UT based on the polish and feel of the single player alone.

Quake Champs doesn't look like innovation at all. What it looks like to me is them seeing Overwatch breaking new ground with their own fresh polished game, completely missing the message and saying "we want that", cue Reaper/Sombra hybrid characters.

UT4 hasn't "failed" yet, its not even in beta, but yes in hindsight starting an open development that early with a very small team of devs, TONS of community conflict over the direction of the project(no duh), and limited resources was not a good idea. They should of have at least waited until it was in a  semi-polished playable beta state. I still have my hope that the game will get alot better closer to the beta stage and maybe the comp scene will pick up some steam.

My point was the AFPS NEEDS innovation and possibly fresh IP's as well, a Q3A copy will not be successful. Second, ID is not really copying OW, they had been planning to add characters and abilities to Quake either in QL update(thank god they didn't but still) or future projects. Technically, OW copied TF2, which came from the Quake mod QW:TF.

Well actually, originally we were looking at [characters and abilities] for a Quake Live update. The servers had been running since 2008 and we were thinking about this big update in 2013. In fact, I personally registered quakechampions.com in 2013 as we were experimenting with these ideas and prototyping the engine back then.

Was it the right innovation? Only time tell. I have come around to thinking it could actually make the game better if they are balanced correctly, as  long as they keep true to the core Quake game mechanics and ultra-fast paced style I am okay with some new ideas.

Nope.

It has come to a point where you really have to stop and think, "What else are they gonna fuck up?" The very essence of Quake's original foundation cannot, and will never not, qualm this idea of class-based Champions. You will get the glorious bunny hopping, you will get to control weapons and power-ups, and you will get to carry an arsenal that you can summon in an instant. But alongside it, you have a Borderlands rip-off asshole that can see through walls, a ******** freak lord who can charge through players with nary a shit to give, a terrible active camo insta-kill bitch, a MAGIC HEALING TOTEM POLE THROWER, and who knows what else they'll shit out of the corporate bullshit machine...

It is an incredible disservice to Quake fans everywhere for discrediting what the game used to be. I feel like this game will be the Halo 4 of iD, but that would be an incorrect statement because they already did that shit with Doom 4's Multiplayer.

There'll be a classic playlist with everything turned off.

Ranger: Dire Orb- Can be thrown to teleport to, can telefrag.
Visor: Wallhacks
Nyx: Ghost Walk-Can't be interacted with or seen for a limited time, shooting cancels it.
Anarki: Can heal himself and increase his max health at the same time.
Scalebearer: Bull Rush-Can ram into enemies and reduce them to paste, takes less damage while rushing.
Galena: Leaves down a totem that both heals and acts as a mine.
Sorlag: (Rumored but not seen) Can shoot a puddle of acid on the ground that does damage over time.
Clutch: Pulls out a shield that blocks damage.
Slash:Leaves behind a trail that damages enemies caught in it.

Some gameplay.

Cringy overwatch emotes rip off.

Overwatch loot boxes rip off.

If you are gonna push a f2p model depending on customization you make characters and unlockables anime as fuck, cute shit, funny things not all this gothic ugly cringy crap :eyes:

• Upvote (+1) 1

There'll be a classic playlist with everything turned off.

Ranger: Dire Orb- Can be thrown to teleport to, can telefrag.

Visor: Wallhacks

Nyx: Ghost Walk-Can't be interacted with or seen for a limited time, shooting cancels it.

Anarki: Can heal himself and increase his max health at the same time.

Scalebearer: Bull Rush-Can ram into enemies and reduce them to paste, takes less damage while rushing.

Galena: Leaves down a totem that both heals and acts as a mine.

Sorlag: (Rumored but not seen) Can shoot a puddle of acid on the ground that does damage over time.

Clutch: Pulls out a shield that blocks damage.

Slash:Leaves behind a trail that damages enemies caught in it.

Some gameplay.

If you are gonna push a f2p model depending on customization you make characters and unlockables anime as fuck, cute shit, funny things not all this gothic ugly cringy crap :eyes:

Those aren't emotes, just ability activation animations.

I seriously hope you're just being facetious with that last sentence.  I don't even know how to respond to that.

Ranger, Sorlag, Slash, Sccalebearer, Visor are acceptable to me.  Abilties that offer a minor offensive advantage or tool every 40s. 

Nyx, Clutch, Anarki, Galena are concerning.  Invincibility, shielding, and self-healing are bad.

The game does seem to have loadouts between Shotgun, MachineGun, and Nailgun.  I also noticed that someone spawned with a MachineGun and when he walked into one on the map it was instantly replaced with a different, upgraded version.  Perhaps that applies to the other spawn weapons, you spawn with weak versions and Super versions are on the map.

Edit:  Yes, actually that is the case after watching a bit more.  Interesting.

I've noticed different champions have different things for their shield and health UI.  Nyx for example has 0/25 while Ranger has 0/50.  Everyone can go beyond those numbers but it seems they have different points where their health and shields stop draining.

I also noticed that in the the thumbnail for the Shadowalk reveal video a few posts above Nyx is holding a different weapon from what we've seen so far.  I believe it might be the grenade launcher.

Edit:  Or perhaps given what I noticed early more likely just a regular shotgun.

Edit2: Yeah, it is.  Kind of posted this as I was watching.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This was one game that would have convinced me to invest in a PC. I mean reflex and UT look cool but I was very hopeful for this a while ago.

Sucks to see developers following the OW trend. Truthfully, I don't think OW was that innovative since it used multiple elements from other class based shooters. It's just a great overall package and so now it seems like dev's are looking at it like it's a sure method for sales. Just like halo needed towards the trends of the current market, it looks like the goatFPS is doing the same.

Some gameplay.

I have serious concerns about this game (the hero abilities are moronic), but your posts you seem pretty invested in hating this game before you play it. I mean, emotes and loot boxes aren't something OW invented. That kind of stuff has been standard in f2p and multiplayer games for years. lol. Literally the most popular FPS on the planet has a massive economy built around loot drops.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Been playing the game for a month and a half now. I come from a halo background so all i want is a team to communicate with. Add me for quick play or competitive. I can play dps or tank. Currently in the 2900s. Gt: Cangri