Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Quake Champions Discussion

They already are. If you look at YouTube and certain parts of reddit, you have the people saying that it's a good direction and people that disagree won't be happy with anything other than Quake 3 HD.

"I can't believe these people want a Quake game in the Quake series haha. Lol just why? Yay TF2 and Overwatch!"

I'm not seeing the appeal or "pure FPS" here, the game looks like a mess visually with the player models blending into the environment, the large amount of particle effects doesn't help either.  Also champion abilities are shit and don't belong in Quake.

I'm not seeing the appeal or "pure FPS" here, the game looks like a mess visually with the player models blending into the environment, the large amount of particle effects doesn't help either.  Also champion abilities are shit and don't belong in Quake.

We have no clue to what extent, but settings will help out a little bit. Still more excited for Reflex and Diabotical.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah.....that gameplay trailer didn't get me excited at all. I guess they're sticking with it being a hero shooter. And judging by the player models, there's going to be lights and heavies? Okay, cool. Thanks, id. Thanks for doing exactly what I was scared of.

If this did not have Quake in the title, "arena" would never be used in describing this game. It's a hero shooter like LawBreakers and Overwatch. Not saying this is a bad thing, just saying that's what it is.

Yeah.....that gameplay trailer didn't get me excited at all. I guess they're sticking with it being a hero shooter. And judging by the player models, there's going to be lights and heavies? Okay, cool. Thanks, id. Thanks for doing exactly what I was scared of.

If this did not have Quake in the title, "arena" would never be used in describing this game. It's a hero shooter like LawBreakers and Overwatch. Not saying this is a bad thing, just saying that's what it is.

PURE SPEED - looks as fast as an asthmatic hippo(UT4 might be as fast or faster! Quake is supposed to be THE fastest DM FPS!!!)
PURE SKILL - With champions with X-Ray Vision (Wall hack) yeah right
PURE FPS - This will never be pure with stupid abilities like wall hacks(WALL HACKS IN QUAKE BLASPHEMY!), speed boosts, teleporting, cloaking, it's totally unpure. QuakeWatch is in full effect!

I know its still in the alpha state, but right now the game visually seems to suffer from the same visual clutter and over-textured environment that UT3 was much maligned for! In fact it looks pretty similar to UT3 as it is right now. http://insomnia.ac/reviews/pc/unrealtournament3/screenshot1.jpg

Compare this to UT4's clean and sleek looking environment and player models that has more of a "modern Arena" FPS look to it http://i.imgur.com/8KBk4Jb.jpg Consistent high Frame-rate is always what has mattered most in competitive FPS, especially Quake! Romero would be losing his mind right now if he saw this, he would never allow it!
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Cautiously optimistic. If they seriously want esports to be part of this game, they will NOT put these abilities in the duel mode. The pro's won't even play the game lol.

Strafe jumping is in, rocket jumping confirmed, no loadouts and you can carry all the weapons.

Just get rid of the abilities and life is good.

And for gods sake please fix the railgun, it looks like a tractor.

Cautiously optimistic. If they seriously want esports to be part of this game, they will NOT put these abilities in the duel mode. The pro's won't even play the game lol.

Strafe jumping is in, rocket jumping confirmed, no loadouts and you can carry all the weapons.

Just get rid of the abilities and life is good.

And for gods sake please fix the railgun, it looks like a tractor.

RUN DEX [Quake3 DeFRaG movie] - YouTube Yea...but can you do this? it looks like 90% of the video was played by very bad FPS players(the developers) , bad movement, super high sensitivity, generally bad playing. Then in the CTF portion it appears to be more in line with Q3A CPMA movement with tight air control but is that just because a specific(faster) character is being played with better air control or because the players are better?  :thinking:  

Gone are the days of 2 am frag fests with the insta gib mod on Q3DM17. Literally that game changed my PC gaming reflexes in the late 90's/early 2000's from that of a block of wood to that of a mongoose on aderall. That's what made quake, "quake", It was purely skill based, none of that "X, Y, Z " character shit with various strengths and weaknesses. Good for you if you like those type of games, but that is not Quake! Hell that game made me get better at all other games and made me the FPS fanatic I still am to this day. Shit son you try playing against Xaero bots on nightmare mode with railguns only. Masochists paradise I say.

id/Bethesda should of just taken a page out of Valve's book with CSGO and made a true Quake game tailored to their core fans if they wanted to succeed. Sure the casual CS players left after 2 weeks to play CoD or the flavor of the month FPS after realizing there wasn't any new frills, but the competitive scene and core player-base eventually migrated over after seeing that CSGO was the real deal and Valve was fully supporting it. THEN, the casuals and new players flooded in once they realize, "hey, this CS game is actually pretty fkn cool and a nice change of pace" from the modern military shooter slop that is the norm nowadays. You have to get the CORE's support first, then you get the new players. Not the other way around. Its simple logistics.That is why Quake 4 had trouble as well.

Quake 3 CPMA HD core gameplay mechanics with new functionality, actual DEV support, and new maps/modes and fully functional mod support is all a new Quake game truly needed to succeed. Quake would of been NEW to NEW players because they had never experienced it before in its hey-dey. How many players will wall-hacks and "champions" bring in compared to bringing Quake back to its glory days with a faithful fully supported new installment? The competitive/mod scene has kept Quake alive for years and id NEEDS their support if they want any chance of making this game a "e-sport" and a successful competitive shooter. id was supposed to LEAD the Arena FPS resurgence as Quake once did and give long-suffering loyal Quake fans a new home, Quake Champions as is does not deserve the "Quake" name nor does it deserve the support of the community. /end rant

• Upvote (+1) 1

It looks good. There will be an exhibition match with high level quakeworld and quakelive players on Saturday after the duel finals I think. Hard to judge the trailer with shitty gameplay.

classic_mode.PNG

What on earth is that? I know who sponge is, but where is this coming from? weblink, reference please?

I have a feeling either top level id execs or Bethesda, their publisher, are driving the design concept of this game.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/5/12387546/quake-champions-balance-gameplay-beta

"It doesn't fundamentally change the way you play the game," Willits explained in an interview after the event. "That's what I wanted to stress in the presentation: Yes, we have these Champions, but they're additive. It's still skill-based, they all rocket jump, they all pick up all the weapons. It's still a skill-based game, with this addition."

This sounds like 343 public relations. Same could be said about Halo. We still have masterchief, we still have the battle rifle, we still have skill-based shooting...these abilities are just additives. lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Where did the ability trend start? Was it shadowrun? If so that game took years to develop and was done from the ground up to be balanced. It's like all these devs just literay sprinkle abilities on top as if they will fit with the core design with no consequence.

Where did the ability trend start? Was it shadowrun? If so that game took years to develop and was done from the ground up to be balanced. It's like all these devs just literay sprinkle abilities on top as if they will fit with the core design with no consequence.

COD4 started it technically.

While there werent abilities, the perks were the abilities, that's what started the virus.

What on earth is that? I know who sponge is, but where is this coming from? weblink, reference please?

He's part of the dev team. He also worked on QL.

He's part of the dev team. He also worked on QL.

I know who he is, I'm asking where did it come from, what is it in reference to? A link to the actual context of the post would be much appreciated.