Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Quake Champions Discussion

OT: I am watching the full Bethesda interview at e3. I think that they are smart enough to create some interesting characters without hurting quake gameplay. I'm excited. Maybe one will run faster and another jump higher. We will have to wait and see.

• Upvote (+1) 1

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/quake-champions-is-pc-only-for-launch-but-console-/1100-6440932/

Quake Champions is currently without a release date. Willits said id Software is not going to rush the game to release, in part because balancing the game (only four characters have been announced so far, but there will be more) is not so easy a task.

"It's going to come out after a really, really long closed beta. I'm telling people now, it's going to be a long beta," he explained

I actually went WTF out loud when I saw the trailer. No one wants Promethean vision in Quake.

At least we still have Reflex.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Was HYPED before realizing it's a hero shooter. But I can see it become a fun game, and the abilities could actually work in team modes, with the right balance. Balancing them is just hard. (See: Overwatch.) I'm totally getting this if there's a mode/s without abilities and freedom of movement like air control.

Abilities doesn't immediately turn me off. However, I do not like the idea of each champion having drastically different starting weapons (the trailer seems like they might), I hope that is not the case. Glad that they are involving current Quake pros though. 

"We feel like the champions are a natural evolution of not only Quake, the genre. It doesn't change the fundamental way you play the game, it enhances the experience and gives you more to do"

ynHfJo.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4

excited for this.  fundamentals will still be there, strafe jumping, item timing ect ect.  

just need to see how exactly the champions differ from one another. 

First off, I think this was a first-class interview...the questions from the interviewer and the way he pressed them was spot-on.

As for the id guy (I know he's got a history with Quake since the beginning, so please don't flame me), his answers were honest and at times scripted...but I could see he was genuine.

What I took from this is that id or Bethesda has some sort of investment in competing with Blizzard and LOL for the ultimate esports team game...and that's fine...I'm all for it as long as the core Quake game is still Quake...which is what this id guy confirmed.

What would bother me is that 1v1 isn't being taken as top priority for esports...though it seems it will still have a presence...but this interview didn't reassure that in my opinion.

Can't wait for the game!

excited for this.  fundamentals will still be there, strafe jumping, item timing ect ect.  

just need to see how exactly the champions differ from one another. 

The question is if there will be item timers. I personally prefer not having timers (makes the game far more intense), but their focus on team gameplay might influence the decision. Or there might be an option to disable timers in custom settings, fracturing the playerbase.

I'm also concerned about spawning with different weapons for several reasons: 1) it was ridiculous in QL (particularly FFA, before they removed loadouts) because there was much less of a sense of control, what with people spawning with LGs or the ability to rocket jump immediately--and the MG is already considered overpowered by good players; 2) thankfully they didn't change any of the weapons in QL when adding loadouts, but in the new installment they might try to put all of the weapons on the same level to make everything "good," decreasing the potential weapon diversity. Very risky.

What I took from this is that id or Bethesda has some sort of investment in competing with Blizzard and LOL for the ultimate esports team game...and that's fine...I'm all for it as long as the core Quake game is still Quake...which is what this id guy confirmed.

What would bother me is that 1v1 isn't being taken as top priority for esports...though it seems it will still have a presence...but this interview didn't reassure that in my opinion.

Can't wait for the game!

It's all very backwards. Team gametypes in Quake are incomprehensible compared to Duel... they just play too fast. It's still enjoyable to watch (I watched every match of QuakeCon 2015 that was recorded), and there are some cool moments like when someone gets hot with Rail, but it's not viewer-friendly whatsoever, especially when you consider how often they need to switch POVs.

As with every game ever, I think Quake should focus on improving what it already succeeds at. No other shooter focuses on 1v1, and they should take advantage of that.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sacrilege but I prefer watching TDM >

I think they're having a Quakeworld bracket at QuakeCon this year. If you've never seen/played it before, it's very different from modern Quake because you spawn with a shotgun that makes Q3's MG look like a power weapon, and the rockets are like Halo CE rockets. The basic strategy is to stack one player with tons of armor and either rockets or LG (which kills ridiculously fast), and then they can go on a thirty frag tear. It's like watching a combination of H2 Lockout TS and H1 Derelict 2v2.

One of the reasons I find Duel more fun to watch than TDM is that comebacks are far more possible. TDM is consistently entertaining throughout, but there's rarely any suspense toward the end. As for Duel, unless it's on Lost World, there's always a chance that the out-of-control player will make a great read and turn the map upside down in an instant.

I actually went WTF out loud when I saw the trailer. No one wants Promethean vision in Quake.

At least we still have Reflex.

reflex=trash. way too much air control...its like cpma but on crack

I'm confused. Isn't air control a good thing?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm confused. Isn't air control a good thing?

reflex has too much air control. quake live and cpma have the best balance of air control. 

And yet it will still play more like Quake than this game probably will.

Looks like the physics are going to be most similar to VQ3. Champions will be like classes that you choose, and there are no loadouts. There are passive and active abilities. Timers are confirmed. Deathmatch was confirmed, but no specifics were offered. They haven't decided on the pricing model yet. No confirmation of a duel gametype that restricts everybody to 1 champion and disables timers worries me. http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/21/quake-champions-tim-willits-interview-people-are-afraid-of-quake-which-is-kind-of-awesome-5958340/

Great news. Hopefully the timers aren't full fledged reflex where it's on ur hud. I hope it's like the quake live update a year or two ago where it's just above the item and you had be to like 5 feet away to see it.

Looks like the physics are going to be most similar to VQ3. Champions will be like classes that you choose, and there are no loadouts. There are passive and active abilities. Timers are confirmed. Deathmatch was confirmed, but no specifics were offered. They haven't decided on the pricing model yet. No confirmation of a duel gametype that restricts everybody to 1 champion and disables timers worries me. http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/21/quake-champions-tim-willits-interview-people-are-afraid-of-quake-which-is-kind-of-awesome-5958340/

i imagine the champions are really only for tdm and ffa. i dont see them working at all in a 1v1 and for tim to recognize that they have a hardcore quake following... i think he knows the repercussions of screwing up duel.

Great news. Hopefully the timers aren't full fledged reflex where it's on ur hud. I hope it's like the quake live update a year or two ago where it's just above the item and you had be to like 5 feet away to see it.

Reflex has a ruleset that disables them.

i imagine the champions are really only for tdm and ffa. i dont see them working at all in a 1v1 and for tim to recognize that they have a hardcore quake following... i think he knows the repercussions of screwing up duel.

Since they say that a 'classic' mod isn't planned, but is possible. So I'm pretty sure that right now, duel will sadly also have champions.

You know what's depressing. If these classes stay in (which they likely will), it will create a new breed of Quake Overwatch/TF2 fans that will defend it to hell and back.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know what's depressing. If these classes stay in (which they likely will), it will create a new breed of Quake Overwatch/TF2 fans that will defend it to hell and back.

They already are. If you look at YouTube and certain parts of reddit, you have the people saying that it's a good direction and people that disagree won't be happy with anything other than Quake 3 HD.