Sign in to follow this  
CyReN

Quake Champions Discussion

Lol, if there's sprint.

well that one scene showed a guy clearly sprinting/charging... could be the ability tho. but yeah, at this point, it wouldn't surprise me.

i dont think the abilities are going to be drastic ala overwatch. it might be normal quake gameplay with different characters having an ultimate ability like a wallhack for 10 seconds or a short teleport ablility.

i cant judge it until i see actual gameplay.

but if it was just a normal arena shooter, shit will be low population a week after release. they want a shooter with a lot of players. stuff has to change in order for that to happen. otherwise we might as well just keep playing quake live.

the new UT has less players than QL, better graphics, better features (even if its still in pre alpha), its free, but no one plays it.

the gameplay has to change to get more players. i'd rather they try something new because at the end of the day there'll always be quake live, reflex, warsaw and what do all these have in common? low population ( very low)

I like how you just casually mention that unreal is in pre alpha.

Lol

Pre alpha and you're suprised nobody plays it. I wasn't even aware you could play it.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Lol

Pre alpha and you're suprised nobody plays it. I wasn't even aware you could play it.

many of these arena games have piss poor marketing.

Lol

It's not dormant like a volcano, it literally has no momentum behind it.

UT is slowly missing the boat for a real arena shooter to rise to popularity again. With Overwatch's meteoric rise you've got to assume most arena shooters aspiring to become 'mainstream' will attempt to be hybrids ala Quake champions.

It's not dormant like a volcano, it literally has no momentum behind it.

UT is slowly missing the boat for a real arena shooter to rise to popularity again. With Overwatch's meteoric rise you've got to assume most arena shooters aspiring to become 'mainstream' will attempt to be hybrids ala Quake champions.

I dont mind a hybrid but core arena elements of quake should stay intact. we know what happened with core halo...it's gone, but with quake... it's seen as the pinnacle of arena fps... and if they go and remove core mechanics of the game like strafe jumping, item control timing, multiple weapon carry with no reloading, rocket jumping, armor, megahealth, no regen (without regen powerup), then this game will fail before it releases.

the smart thing is to take what ready works with quake live and add to it new ideas and mechanics without jeopardizing the integrity of the game.

im talking purely on a gameplay mechanics level.

the matchmaking, game modes, stat tracking, etc... is an entirely diff discussion, which one of the huge reasons quake live is dying. it's tough as hell to just jump on and play against people, especially the vanilla quake.

• Upvote (+1) 1

so this makes me feel better...

http://www.pcgamer.com/quake-champions-trailer-analyzed-all-the-characters-weapons-and-abilities/

Here, he’s wielding the classic Quake rocket launcher. In the post-show stream, Willits emphasized that all of the classic Quake maneuvers would make a return, including rocket jumping, strafe jumping—everything a longtime Quake player would expect. It’s safe to assume that new character movement abilities means there will be a few more advanced maneuvers for high level players to discover. We hope so, at least.

another article

Aside from the fact it seems like it’ll be stepping on DOOM multiplayer’s toes a little, the big news here is that Quake Champions will be PC only. No consoles. id are targeting high level performance, with unlocked framerates at 120hz.

It’s multiplayer only and Tim Willits, who made the presentation, says id will be expanding beyond QuakeCon with new competitive tournaments and leagues.

id are developing this one in-house. I’d made a bet with myself that if a Quake game were announced it’d be in the hands of Machine Games; they didn’t have any announcements but both they and Evil Within creators Tango Softworks were shown briefly during the presentation so are presumably working on something for Bethesda. More Wolfenstein and more Evil Within, I reckon, though perhaps best not to presume given that I’ve just told you how wrong I was about Quake.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/13/quake-champions-pc-multiplayer/

I dont mind a hybrid but core arena elements of quake should stay intact. we know what happened with core halo...it's gone, but with quake... it's seen as the pinnacle of arena fps... and if they go and remove core mechanics of the game like strafe jumping, item control timing, multiple weapon carry with no reloading, rocket jumping, armor, megahealth, no regen (without regen powerup), then this game will fail before it releases.

the smart thing is to take what ready works with quake live and add to it new ideas and mechanics without jeopardizing the integrity of the game.

im talking purely on a gameplay mechanics level.

the matchmaking, game modes, stat tracking, etc... is an entirely diff discussion, which one of the huge reasons quake live is dying. it's tough as hell to just jump on and play against people, especially the vanilla quake.

The smart thing is to do build on what was great. Sadly I think it's more probable that they'll stray and it'll be a complete shit show...

The smart thing is to do build on what was great. Sadly I think it's more probable that they'll stray and it'll be a complete shit show...

Did you read the two articles i posted?

Did you read the two articles i posted?

It's all very thin on the ground with actual info. Will wait until GP is available but with the past record it's much much easier to be pessimistic.

It's all very thin on the ground with actual info. Will wait until GP is available but with the past record it's much much easier to be pessimistic.

Those two quotes from the articles calmed me down to say the least.

If id is outright saying classic Quake movement is still there as well as other expected things...then I'm fine with it so far. Seems id wants to get back in the ring with esports...but to do that, they gotta support the game, the scene...as well as make the online functionality butter smooth where players can EASILY play matches consistently in a ranked format.

well that one scene showed a guy clearly sprinting/charging... could be the ability tho. but yeah, at this point, it wouldn't surprise me.

UT4 had Sprint at one point, but it's been gone for at least six months. Mantling was also removed early on.

:prayers: for Quake

• Upvote (+1) 2

id is getting a gigantic amount of backlash for classes in Quake. This game is still in the early stages so hopefully we see changes. Honestly the best way around this is transfer those abilities to powerups. There, problem fucking solved and no work goes to waste.

Lol

even in prealpha its really well made already.  graphics are beautiful it has many features, more than QL already.

i was surprised because there have  been a bunch of events on twitch with streamers promoting the game.  

they flew out phantom lord and others to the stuido to play/stream the game.  

also its been in a lot of articles on various gaming sites ie verge gamespot ect ect

imo it should have more players than QL right now.  and even for a pre alpha, its UNREAL i thought the name itself would generate more players than QL atleast

i'm ready for some things to be added.  CA popularity has shown that most quake players don't even play normal quake 

i'm ready for some things to be added.  CA popularity has shown that most quake players don't even play normal quake 

CA is just a casual haven, it's basically instant gratification of Quake...no different than the plethora of CSGO servers running max money each round so that everyone can buy whatever guns they want and gear...

I seriously would not take things from a super casual mode and instill them into the competitive esports mode.

If Quake Champions wants to change up the formula, fine, but don't do it at a cost of the integrity of the esports portion of the game, that should be the ultimate, practically impossible to master-side of the game.

People on esreality.com keep saying things like, "1v1 duel is what killed Quake" and "Team-based quake is where it's at, people simply don't want to play 1v1 duel in quake, they want teammates"....pfffffff, please.

I will admit, 1v1 duel in Quake is not fun for a noob. Its level of entry is pretty high and playing against players who have more than a decade of experience with the game....who's fault is that? It's not the player's fault, it's id's.

Skill-based matchmaking must be a number one priority for Quake Champions. Without it...we're just going to repeat what happened with Quake Live.

I keep repeating this over and over, but Starcraft II does skill-based ranked gameplay right....I am by no means a skilled Starcraft II player...and I've made it out of bronze 1v1 league once...because I was studying timing on Liquipedia and getting my timings down and won some matches due to it...so I was put into silver for one season....but rest of the time I am bronze. I've never been able to fight my way out of bronze because I suck at SCII...but it doesn't mean I don't have fun...I'm playing with the caliber of people I should be playing against. Over time, as I get better at the game, I will grow out of bronze and move forward, but if I don't, I still have "FUN".

Quake has never done that and it needs to, direly.

CA is just a casual haven, it's basically instant gratification of Quake...no different than the plethora of CSGO servers running max money each round so that everyone can buy whatever guns they want and gear...

I seriously would not take things from a super casual mode and instill them into the competitive esports mode.

If Quake Champions wants to change up the formula, fine, but don't do it at a cost of the integrity of the esports portion of the game, that should be the ultimate, practically impossible to master-side of the game.

People on esreality.com keep saying things like, "1v1 duel is what killed Quake" and "Team-based quake is where it's at, people simply don't want to play 1v1 duel in quake, they want teammates"....pfffffff, please.

I will admit, 1v1 duel in Quake is not fun for a noob. Its level of entry is pretty high and playing against players who have more than a decade of experience with the game....who's fault is that? It's not the player's fault, it's id's.

Skill-based matchmaking must be a number one priority for Quake Champions. Without it...we're just going to repeat what happened with Quake Live.

I keep repeating this over and over, but Starcraft II does skill-based ranked gameplay right....I am by no means a skilled Starcraft II player...and I've made it out of bronze 1v1 league once...because I was studying timing on Liquipedia and getting my timings down and won some matches due to it...so I was put into silver for one season....but rest of the time I am bronze. I've never been able to fight my way out of bronze because I suck at SCII...but it doesn't mean I don't have fun...I'm playing with the caliber of people I should be playing against. Over time, as I get better at the game, I will grow out of bronze and move forward, but if I don't, I still have "FUN".

im not just talking about duel.  every normal quake mode duel, tdm, ctf, ffa, has been way less popular than CA which contradicts traditional gameplay.  CA has always been the most popular.  

i totally understand why id software wants to make changes/additions to the normal gameplay.  for almost a decade now they see that most players aren't even playing actual quake.  

its like if 90% of the halo population for the past 4 titles strictly played SWAT.  

i'm fine with id adding small abilities and different characters with speed/health stats as long as the movement mechanics and item pickups are still there.  I don't think the classes will be significant like overwatch.  

im not just talking about duel. every normal quake mode duel, tdm, ctf, ffa, has been way less popular than CA which contradicts traditional gameplay. CA has always been the most popular.

i totally understand why id software wants to make changes/additions to the normal gameplay. for almost a decade now they see that most players aren't even playing actual quake.

its like if 90% of the halo population for the past 4 titles strictly played SWAT.

i'm fine with id adding small abilities and different characters with speed/health stats as long as the movement mechanics and item pickups are still there. I don't think the classes will be significant like overwatch.

Sometimes the small imbalances are the worst. It makes it so that losing a fight is no longer dependent on the enemies better counterpick, so much as them having slightly better weapons.

For example, what sounds more fair.

Picking up a shotgun, and losing a fight to a sniper

Or

Picking up a shotgun and losing a fight to another shotgun with more range and damage.

Either way it's fucking unacceptable and shouldn't be in the game in any form. Even starts or the game is irrelevant, honestly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think it will be as bad as people seem to think its gonna be, but I don't blame people for being apprehensive. Xbox said recently that keyboard and mouse support are only "months away" here's to hoping that I'll be able to play quake with a keyboard and mouse on my Xbox a year or so from now.

Agreed with your thoughts on ranked games.

But I wouldn't be so quick to write off Clan Arena. First of all, I'm not suggesting that elements of it should be put into other gametypes. It should be its own, separate gametype.

Clan Arena may appear to be casual heaven, but it's not only for casuals. A lot of skilled players have been playing it for a long time, and the gametype has a way of elevating classic elements of Quake (such as resource management, stealth, and flawless navigation) to very exciting and visible level.

Clan Arena is the polar opposite of duel, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, because CA is pretty awesome on its own. The key is to keep them separate. There's no way that CA will not continue to be a huge part of Quake, so id might as well embrace it. And if I'm being honest, CA is more fun to spectate than TDM (maybe not CTF, though, and definitely not Duel), so it couldn't hurt to push it competitively and maximize the game's appeal.

As long as Duel is kept as pure as its predecessors, that is.

Agreed with your thoughts on ranked games.

But I wouldn't be so quick to write off Clan Arena. First of all, I'm not suggesting that elements of it should be put into other gametypes. It should be its own, separate gametype.

Clan Arena may appear to be casual heaven, but it's not only for casuals. A lot of skilled players have been playing it for a long time, and the gametype has a way of elevating classic elements of Quake (such as resource management, stealth, and flawless navigation) to very exciting and visible level.

Clan Arena is the polar opposite of duel, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, because CA is pretty awesome on its own. The key is to keep them separate. There's no way that CA will not continue to be a huge part of Quake, so id might as well embrace it. And if I'm being honest, CA is more fun to spectate than TDM (maybe not CTF, though, and definitely not Duel), so it couldn't hurt to push it competitively and maximize the game's appeal.

As long as Duel is kept as pure as its predecessors, that is.

I don't mind there being multiple game modes, there very well should be, but if id decides to push the team aspect for the esports side of Quake...I'm hoping they don't put 1v1 in a backseat because 1v1 is our only FPS that gives us a modern-day Chess game played out in and FPS...that and the Fighting games like SF and MK.