Beatdown

No Man's Sky Thread

Progress and saves made prior to August 8th's patch won't work once the patch goes live. 

They're saying that the patch is going to deliver on the vision that they had for the game so I can only assume that comment is directed at some type of stone that currently sells for so much that it trivializes all trading/fuel aspects within the game. Perhaps its also directed at the comment they previously made about 90% of planets not even containing life where right now every planet contains some form of life if you look around it. Should they nerf that stones sell price and the free fuel you can find in stations everywhere reaching the center of everything will take significantly longer. The multi tool is apparently bugged out too where all of the upgrades make it worse and ships don't get better as the game progresses. I can only assume all of that is a target for a hotfix unless they're cool with the game being trash.

Read the patch notes, deleted my saves without noticing this little bit: 

"It will be available on Monday for press for review once it exits submission, and on launch for public on PC and PS4. We expect future updates like these to continue to be free."

ffs

I'm super annoyed that the PC release is delayed but at the same time I guess its extra time to make sure the game isn't awful

Lol it's not that. This delay has been known for what, 2 weeks? Sean said that he's not allowed to talk about it. The PS4 version is a port of the PC version and the PS4 version is done and the update will be available on Tuesday. This screams Sony lol.

Lol it's not that. This delay has been known for what, 2 weeks? Sean said that he's not allowed to talk about it. The PS4 version is a port of the PC version and the PS4 version is done and the update will be available on Tuesday. This screams Sony lol.

I'm saying that the delay means that I have more time to decide if the game is worth money. I know the only reason this is a thing is because Sony bought the three day window

• Upvote (+1) 1

The soundtrack alone makes me almost want to buy this game. It's amazing

its awesome, been listening to it at work on Spotify

anyone with ps4 playig this?

Thought about it, but the game looks too good to avoid on master race.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm seriously on the fence on purchasing this, mostly since I'm slowly losing the gaming side of me (where I want to play every new game I buy). 

If I get more than 5 upvotes on this post I'll buy the game.  :lxthul:

but seriously, just looking for that sign that will push me over the edge to get this game on PC.

you're bored already?

After I realised I fucked myself over on one of the paths (Atlas) and how long it is going to take to reach the centre of the universe, I've completely lost interest.

It is literally this:

Go to system, make new Warp Cells, travel to new system, make more Warp Cells, repeat until you reach the centre.

It is going to take months of playing to reach the middle, unless black holes really help a ton.

After I realised I fucked myself over on one of the paths (Atlas) and how long it is going to take to reach the centre of the universe, I've completely lost interest.

It is literally this:

Go to system, make new Warp Cells, travel to new system, make more Warp Cells, repeat until you reach the centre.

It is going to take months of playing to reach the middle, unless black holes really help a ton.

Going to the center isn't finishing the game or anything. It's just a thing to do. That's not the point of the game. If you're looking for a game with a mission then it isn't for you. It's more of the people who like to explore deep space in Elite: Dangerous.

Going to the center isn't finishing the game or anything. It's just a thing to do. That's not the point of the game. If you're looking for a game with a mission then it isn't for you. It's more of the people who like to explore deep space in Elite: Dangerous.

Exactly. Its very open ended and honestly there isn't exactly the most to do in the game right now. Its good for what it is but people hyped themselves for something that wasn't advertised. I don't even know if I want to buy the game and I do think it will get much better with patches but people need to understand what the game is meant to be before they buy it if they can

PSA:  If any of you are on PC and thinking about buying this don't. It has some of the most ridiculous performance issues for a lot of people if you can even manage to get into the game. It just auto crashes on launch for a lot of people. 

Glad I didn't buy this now that the cats out of the bag

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've played for around ~2 hours and I've ran into no issues after messing with the settings. I will say that the default settigns for the PC version has to be the most confusing thing I have ever seen.

This was the default

• 30 FPS
  • 60 FOV
  • Everything on low (I have a GTX 970!)

Why the fuck was that default for? After I changed the FPS to Max, everything on high, and increased the FOV by a shit ton, and most important, I turned Vsync off, it's been running flawless for me ever since.

Also, how the fuck are PS4 players playing this game on 30 FPS/60 FOV? Jesus christ it was terrible for the first few seconds of playing.

I've played for around ~2 hours and I've ran into no issues after messing with the settings. I will say that the default settigns for the PC version has to be the most confusing thing I have ever seen.

This was the default

• 30 FPS
  • 60 FOV

Why the fuck was that default for? After I changed the FPS to Max, everything on high, and increased the FOV by a shit ton, and most important, I turned Vsync off, it's been running flawless for me ever since.

tl;dr - Identical computers differing performance swapping entire file reverses performance issues

I have to say that my initial impression to this game is very meh. I had heard that the first two hours were the best two hours and if that was the best part I'm utterly disappointed.

I wasn't extremely hyped for this game, but I was hoping for something better than this. I liked to think that people were over exaggerating what the game was going to be. I thought it was going to be something akin to Minecraft or The Long Dark. A chill exploration game with some survival and a hint of action and thats exactly what it is, but its not at the same time. I hate to compare this to other games, but its usually the best way to get across what I want to say.

With Minecraft you have this depth in the crafting, if you want something (lets say a lot of glass) you don't just get a ton of glass. You have to get sand, a furnace, and coal. Then you have some downtime while heating the sand into glass. A good time for exploration, but you always have someplace to come back to. With NMS you don't have anywhere to come back to (I mean I know you can build a base, but I have no idea when or how). Because you have no where to come back to you can't have this complicated crafting system, the game wants you to move on and explore another planet. Its literally shoot, gather, shoot, gather. Thats it.

With the Long Dark its more of a movement based thing. You need to always be on the move looking for more supplies and finding a place to rest. The thing with the game though is that it focuses more on survival. You need food, you need shelter, you need better/warmer clothes. You also have to watch out for wolves, bears, and other bandits. I haven't played enough to get to a planet with anything that attacks me right off the bat, but because this shallow crafting system is baked into the survivability it makes that just as boring. Life support low, replenish, repeat. Its not hard to come by things that repair your armor, gun, etc. I even fought some of the sentrys because I was bored. Gunplay isn't satisfying at all.

Okay well maybe they focus a lot on exploration giving you lots of cool things to find, awesome planets, etc. Sure my first planet was fun, but it was extremely barren on the surface. It was cool to see that caves below were gleaming with life and it was kind of this awe inspiring moment that last for about 5 seconds. Animals are boring, you feed them local plants (whatever element they enjoy) and sometimes they point you to a rare item. Getting around is a hassle. To find one of the elements to fix my ship I had to travel ten minutes (I have no idea if this game uses standard time or if its sped up, but its just as boring). TEN MINUTES. It felt like an eternity to get there and I've never been so bored in my life. Traveling in Morrowind was tedious especially to get to places that didn't have transportation, but that still isn't nearly as bad as this is. Sprint runs out super quick, jetpack runs out even faster (though you can jetpack for infinite amount of time if climbing upwards). So its this kind of juggle between Sprinting and then switching to jetpack (if you sprint while jetpacking you get a speed boost forward). It didn't get better as I went into space either, 30 minutes to get to the closest space station? Okay shoot some rocks, get some fuel, do the A+D speed boost.... Great another ten minutes. I guess its better than thirty right?

Once you get your ship up and running though its super easy to get around...... although you don't have the ground UI to find lookouts and ruins (I forget what they are called). Its kind of cool that you can learn languages from the ruins and that you get money for exploring at least 5 of the lookouts. However I had no desire to learn the language since I jumped to a new solar system almost immediately after leaving the first planet. Its not a big enough reason to stay and discover each planet, get your materials, upgrade your stuff and leave. It almost feels like a 3D version of the planet mining on Mass Effect 2.

As far as it running like crap. Once I fixed the resolution and fps it ran okay. I didn't have any screen tearing, but I did have occasional dips in the fps. However the game definitely doesn't look as good as I thought it was going to.

It is literally this:

The center is not the end-all-be-all of the game.

But to each his/her own I guess.

This was the default

• 30 FPS
  • 60 FOV

Also, how the fuck are PS4 players playing this game on 30 FPS/60 FOV? Jesus christ it was terrible for the first few seconds of playing.

What's your PC specs??

I'm running a Radeon R9 200 series, 8GB RAM, AMX FX processor with 6-cores and i get reach 60 fps at all.

The center is not the end-all-be-all of the game.

But to each his/her own I guess.

I suppose.

Guess it just wasn't my type of game? It was cool to explore planets and gather stuff for the first parts of the game but after that, it just became a grind.