Sign in to follow this  
Simplicityyy

Creating a quality, original video game character.

I am in the process of writing my first video game story (as I've posted it here once before), and I am having a tough time nailing the lead character's name and any traits that are important to them. To me, I'd like to make this character as original and unique as possible, yet they have to feel like a natural part of the world they live in. 

So far, I have a possible name, age, gender, and location. But individual character traits that make them unique is hard for a novice writer like me. Any advice?

Name: Ellexis (a twist of the name Alexis, obviously. I want her name to feel sci fi-ish, but original as well.)

Location: Eastern half of the remnants of the United States (not sure if I am keeping this idea)

Now I have thoughts on what her personality is, but I'm not sure how to make her stand out. I'd like her to be resourceful, smart, caring, respectful, & physically agile, but she needs negative aspects to make her vulnerable/carry flaws that make her human. 

give her some big titties 

I don't plan on making her into a Lara Croft knock off. She will be covered and dressed in the manner that sets her apart from other game characters, and that adheres to the world she lives in.

Make them a non-binary gender fluid blogger from the future who refuses the he/she pronouns & ruthlessly kills anyone who doesn't abide by the rules of their identity.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Make them a non-binary gender fluid blogger from the future who refuses the he/she pronouns & ruthlessly kills anyone who doesn't abide by the rules of their identity.

Ya know...I did't make this post for posters to post sarcastic replies. I'm pretty serious about this. ;/

do you read? Do you have a creative writing degree? Do you actually know anything about what you're setting out to do?

cortana is a hologram/AI construct and they gave her huge naturals. the market calls for large fun bags on female characters, idk what else to tell you

Thats not true. Lara Croft used to be that way, then she was revamped with a far better physique. Female characters aren't all about large boobs. They can be just as interesting and well written as male characters. I don't understand why so many guys are so hungry for female characters to be sexual over being human....it's such immature thinking.

do you read? Do you have a creative writing degree? Do you actually know anything about what you're setting out to do?

I read, yes. No, I don't have that degree, but that is what I will be getting in a couple years. That means I have limited experience on this matter. 

I am setting out to create a female character that is the center of a video game story I am developing. From how you worded your questions, you come across to me as if I am stupid to do such a thing. I'm simply asking here, but I've gotten nothing but rude, sarcastic responses. 

Thats not true. Lara Croft used to be that way, then she was revamped with a far better physique. Female characters aren't all about large boobs. They can be just as interesting and well written as male characters. I don't understand why so many guys are so hungry for female characters to be sexual over being human....it's such immature thinking.

hey i don't agree with it either but that's just how it is. sex sells 

really though in the diluted indie game market I think you might want to rework your pitch so that the focus is on the gameplay and not the characters in the story. games can be fun and have a bad story (borderlands 1) and games that have a good story can be bad. there's no point wasting your time developing a character and their stories if people don't have fun playing the game. the good story and characters should be an added bonus

guess i'll make the first proper reply, you don't need a creative writing degree to write creatively in the same way you need a music degree to play music, however what you do need is understanding. Character bios are nice to have but there's a few key issues, usually you don't find your way with them or even start to reveal any true character. 

What i've done as a means to tell story is usually either try to draw to get a very general idea of the character or write some really rough text, usually pretty scrambled, maybe some dialogue, monologue, speaking as a narrator etc. I like to get a visual sense as much as the conceptual / intangible. 

I find idealism usually leads to failure as it's those imperfections or a way to view things that really make it stand out, usually writers who try to put their stuff in visual format (tv, films, games) get an artist to really market it for their pitch.  

though it depends on what route you want to go down, i'd look up pitches of tv, film, games you like and/or also read some really classic novels / short stories or watch films and play games with the intent to learn off it not just idle viewing (don't do it if it's your first time through though). Study and take notes, whatever you think is valuable information becomes it, if you can put it to good use.

to give my take on your situation try to write a bio about yourself, using your method, then think of all the personal experience / feeling / thoughts and moments that bio has missed about your life, especially all the little things or the things you wish weren't there or hadn't happened and all the grey area.

That's the fun bit, the enjoyable part, the stuff people want to watch, to see it unfold or continue (not always "progress"), now try to imagine that through your character, live in that experience and find the story in it.

I wouldn't waste my time being in the shadow or experiencing it vicariously through others, quite often it's found the hard way, trial and error, trying to replicate someone or be something that isn't what others have done will never yield the results you're looking for.

atleast that's my 2c

guess i'll make the first proper reply, you don't need a creative writing degree to write creatively in the same way you need a music degree to play music, however what you do need is understanding. Character bios are nice to have but there's a few key issues, usually you don't find your way with them or even start to reveal any true character. 

What i've done as a means to tell story is usually either try to draw to get a very general idea of the character or write some really rough text, usually pretty scrambled, maybe some dialogue, monologue, speaking as a narrator etc. I like to get a visual sense as much as the conceptual / intangible. 

I find idealism usually leads to failure as it's those imperfections or a way to view things that really make it stand out, usually writers who try to put their stuff in visual format (tv, films, games) get an artist to really market it for their pitch.  

though it depends on what route you want to go down, i'd look up pitches of tv, film, games you like and/or also read some really classic novels / short stories or watch films and play games with the intent to learn off it not just idle viewing (don't do it if it's your first time through though). Study and take notes, whatever you think is valuable information becomes it, if you can put it to good use.

to give my take on your situation try to write a bio about yourself, using your method, then think of all the personal experience / feeling / thoughts and moments that bio has missed about your life, especially all the little things or the things you wish weren't there or hadn't happened and all the grey area.

That's the fun bit, the enjoyable part, the stuff people want to watch, to see it unfold or continue (not always "progress"), now try to imagine that through your character, live in that experience and find the story in it.

I wouldn't waste my time being in the shadow or experiencing it vicariously through others, quite often it's found the hard way, trial and error, trying to replicate someone or be something that isn't what others have done will never yield the results you're looking for.

atleast that's my 2c

nice try sl33p

atleast that's my 2c

I am not too sure what you are talking about in the bottom half of your comment. Although I agree with your first couple sentences. I am contemplating story ideas and character backgrounds as they come to mind. The world my character(s) live in and the story that my game will encompass is in the conceptual stages of thinking. 

I plan on taking as much time as I need to make this idea a reality, but i wont actually build the game myself. I might use it for a college writing project when I return to school in the fall.