Sign in to follow this  
kkrotz

Pitfall Sword Room Changes

I don't know if I like the 'murder-hole' change to the map. I love the look of the map aesthetically, and maybe I just have to get used to the idea of sword room being more dynamic... The under sword room will be a nuisance if people just chuck nades in there constantly. Kind of makes the room inaccessible from any direction. I guess I can only come to a proper conclusion once I've played it. What are your thoughts? 

Probably done because of how horribly campy the Sword Room was in standard matchmaking. Although, a more viable solution probably would have been just to not spawn a Sword in a confined space with only one entrance...

But when it's known as Sword Room, I guess you're just committed to it. Kinda funny that they put in the MLG boxes, but then spawned Rockets in Long Hall. Wonder what was in Green - speed boost?

Well the map looks awesome and basically a remake of the Pit from MLG Halo 3s version, they have made the lifts under the sword room but as the 343 panel said we have the necessary forge pieces to block them up so its as close to the Halo 3 version as possible.

This map will 100% be in the competitive playlist, it is just on Ghost to test whether or not the lifts under sword improve the map.

There is also another map being released which looks like it might play well with the Extraction gametype.

With the community pushing for No Sprint in the competitive playlist and with these maps announced that actually look like and DID play great with no sprint makes me think another piece of the Halo 4 jigsaw puzzle will be put into place soon. No sprint :-)

Halo's future is looking good.

It won't matter because the "murder hole" will just be blocked off by forge objects for competitive play. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can somebody link me to this Pitfall map? Everyone seems to be talking about it and I have no idea what it is.. I'm assuming a Pit remake or near-remake?

SpinCycle, follow this link to the homepage. It's a gameplay/theater pan of the entire map and all of the additions are explained.

-Inversion

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like the lift.

Because everyone knows where there are lifts, there's a sword/shotgun. Good to finally see 343i embraces this part of Halo. :frank:

I really like the air lift into the back. Now you can organize a push up lift and through the door on a camping sniper. The drop hole im not so sure about. If we put os back where it was in h3,people will just go hide in sword for the 30seconds beforw it spawns, then just fall on it. On one hand it sorta allows for a setup to get os, but it also promotes camping in a small room every couple minutes.

I really like the air lift into the back. Now you can organize a push up lift and through the door on a camping sniper. The drop hole im not so sure about. If we put os back where it was in h3,people will just go hide in sword for the 30seconds beforw it spawns, then just fall on it. On one hand it sorta allows for a setup to get os, but it also promotes camping in a small room every couple minutes.

I agree, it adds more variety to casual settings and I'm sure they'd be fine with the lift+ drop down but I'm sure for Throwdown, both will be blocked off.

Any change to a map, no matter how miniscule can have drastic changes to how the match actually plays. So it may look cool (Or bad depending on the person) but I don't think we will get a clear idea of how well it functions until August. This being said the changes that have been done to past maps like Beaver Creek do turn out to be fun and bring a whole new awesome dynamic to it. I have high hopes that it doesn't ruin the heaven that is The Pit.

I agree, it adds more variety to casual settings and I'm sure they'd be fine with the lift+ drop down but I'm sure for Throwdown, both will be blocked off.

Why would both be blocked off? I like the lift at least. I don't know about the drop down.

I think that the lift to sword will be a very nice touch but the drop down seems a bit too easy of an escape route if you're getting pushed at sword, but we gotta play it before we get rid of anything. Also the aesthetics of sword with the windows and all make it look really good.

I like both changes personally, but I do understand the escape route problem with the drop down.

Will hold final judgement until I actually get to play it.

Why would both be blocked off? I like the lift at least. I don't know about the drop down.

I feel like if someone rushes OS off the start, they simply lift up and now they have sword, instead of making their way back up runway and through to sword. Couple that with sprint... ugh.

It's just a personal preference. I'm not saying they will 100% be blocked off when Ghost has his hands on Pitfall but I'm thinking he will block both off. 

It would be cool if you could jump on a teammates head from OS spawn into sword room through the opening.

Could move the OS to either underneath the middle bridge between the two ramps that lead to each team's training area, or put it opposite banana so it's against the wall of Sword room, making it visible from both towers & trainings.

As you said, if there's a lift & drop down into runway it becomes a more valuable position to aid in forcing a sniper out of Sword which means there doesn't really need to be a weapon or powerup down there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Am I the only person who thinks it shouldn't be blocked off? I feel like this is the first time a maker of Halo has done a remake of a map the right way. People camping in Sword room is annoying and now you can nade them out from below. It just adds another aspect to the map imo. Imagine the flag routes with this addition.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Am I the only person who thinks it shouldn't be blocked off? I feel like this is the first time a maker of Halo has done a remake of a map the right way. People camping in Sword room is annoying and now you can nade them out from below. It just adds another aspect to the map imo. Imagine the flag routes with this addition.

Flag routes won't exactly be optimised for said flag runner. Assuming Sprint isn't taken out, you could sprint from mauler/OBJ spawn through green box/longhall to their plat before they reach their base with the flag if they play cat and mouse with the drop-down hole/grav lift.

Could move the OS to either underneath the middle bridge between the two ramps that lead to each team's training area, or put it opposite banana so it's against the wall of Sword room, making it visible from both towers & trainings.

As you said, if there's a lift & drop down into runway it becomes a more valuable position to aid in forcing a sniper out of Sword which means there doesn't really need to be a weapon or powerup down there.

true enough. i like the idea of placing os opposite of banana since its almost impossible nto burn in h4 (happens 1/20 times) and your invincible at pickup.

I'm sorry, The Pit was great but it wasn't perfect. Campers in the sword room was almost as bad as the lift room on Swordbase. I welcome these changes.