Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

The Aim Settings Thread

I basically settled on 2.5 2.5 with 4 accel. Its still too slow in some regards but I've just come to accept that is reality with Halo 5. Watching other people play I see the same moments usually when they're falling or whatever where their sens just isn't fast enough but going any higher will result in a terrible shot the rest of the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sweet, i actually understood this post lol. So... If i played 4-5 sens in other Halos. I just need to pick 4-5 & even out the X/Y? Sounds simple enough. I messed with even X/Y's a bit the other night. Never really noticed a difference from my default 4sens/2accel. I'll have to play some more real games i guess.

If you were playing on 4s/2a prior to the update, I can assure you that, within a few Warzone Assault games (because why would you test in Arena?), 2.5x/2.5y/2a will feel like Jessica Alba and Scar Jo tickling you in a bubble bath.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I played on 3 sensitivity in every Halo before this one. I can confirm that 1.5x 1.5y with 2 acceleration feels like 3 in the old games.

If you try to get the feeling of 3 sensitivity and make x and y both 3, then it would be like 6 sensitivity in older Halos. 

I always played on 3 sensitivity in past Halos, and 1.5x 1.5y feels MILES too slow for my taste. Why would you want to force yourself to peg all the time?

Edit: I keep seeing people say that the default values (Horizontal = .5Vertical) has the Vertical and Horizontal aiming at roughly the same speeds. This is incorrect. 343 said themselves that they halved the horizontal value because they feel the game plays so vertical.

Since matching x and y seems like the way to go, I just went ahead and matched the accel too. So now I'm playing 2/2/2, and it feels really good. Not sure if there's any merit behind this theory, but it seems to be working nicely for me. 

If you were playing on 4s/2a prior to the update, I can assure you that, within a few Warzone Assault games (because why would you test in Arena?), 2.5x/2.5y/2a will feel like Jessica Alba and Scar Jo tickling you in a bubble bath.

Sweet. Who doesn't like a little Alba in their game play? I'll give this a try when i get on.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I previously used 4 sens 3 accel and switched to 2.5H / 3.5V with 3 accel now.  I love it so far.  I believe reading on one of the 343 waypoint updates that setting both H and V to the same value yields a sens like old halos. 

I always played on 3 sensitivity in past Halos, and 1.5x 1.5y feels MILES too slow for my taste. Why would you want to force yourself to peg all the time?

Edit: I keep seeing people say that the default values (Horizontal = .5Vertical) has the Vertical and Horizontal aiming at roughly the same speeds. This is incorrect. 343 said themselves that they halved the horizontal value because they feel the game plays so vertical.

I tested with a bunch of different settings and this feels right to me.

I would like to add that I am using an Elite controller, though. I was using 3,4 on a default controller before I got the Elite. After I got it I switched to 2,5, so the controller may feel faster than a Scuf or default controller.

I tested with a bunch of different settings and this feels right to me.

I would like to add that I am using an Elite controller, though. I was using 3,4 on a default controller before I got the Elite. After I got it I switched to 2,5, so the controller may feel faster than a Scuf or default controller.

It shouldn't be any "faster," to be honest, although the fact that the analog sticks are actually set on tightly and snugly (as compared to a regular controller) may make a tiny difference.

I use an elite as well.

Lol that a hint 2.5/2.5 is good? :D

Lol that a hint 2.5/2.5 is good? :D

Well, if it's comparable to the bubble bath described above...

on a serious note, it's damned near perfect for me. No matter which direction you aim, it's at the same speed. The 2 acceleration lets you make fine adjustments while not being too much (causing over-correction).

After 343i confirmed, whichever sense you choose, it does not appear as though making your x and y values different is a good thing

Well, if it's comparable to the bubble bath described above...

on a serious note, it's damned near perfect for me. No matter which direction you aim, it's at the same speed. The 2 acceleration lets you make fine adjustments while not being too much (causing over-correction).

After 343i confirmed, whichever sense you choose, it does not appear as though making your x and y values different is a good thing

You think having the X and y values different like default is a bad thing?. I thought it was done for a specific reason? Forgive me if i misunderstand English ain't my first language.

You think having the X and y values different like default is a bad thing?. I thought it was done for a specific reason? Forgive me if i misunderstand English ain't my first language.

Yes. Intuitively, it is bad.

343 said that they made the default vertical value twice the horizontal value because "the game plays more vertical." but if your X and Y values differ, you literally aim at different speeds depending on which direction you're looking. If you set X and Y values = to each other, you know at all times exactly how fast your reticle will be moving.

Yes. Intuitively, it is bad.

343 said that they made the default vertical value twice the horizontal value because "the game plays more vertical." but if your X and Y values differ, you literally aim at different speeds depending on which direction you're looking. If you set X and Y values = to each other, you know at all times exactly how fast your reticle will be moving.

Thanks yes i understand Traditionally i have always been 3 sens 2 accel Could you suggest one to try with equal x and y values?.

Thanks yes i understand Traditionally i have always been 3 sens 2 accel Could you suggest one to try with equal x and y values?.

Well I can't say for sure, but I played 4/2 before the update and love 2.5/2.5/2a, so maybe 2x/2y/2a if you played on 3?

Well I can't say for sure, but I played 4/2 before the update and love 2.5/2.5/2a, so maybe 2x/2y/2a if you played on 3?

I shall give this a try tomorrow thanks Will let you know how i find it :)

Using 2.5/2.5 & 3 Accel and over the course of two days keeping these settings my accuracy is staying consistent per game to around 55% to 60+ now. Pre-update it was always around 45-50% while once in a blue moon hitting 60%.

I can feel the improvements and winning more battles because of it, I previously played on 4 Sens 2 Accel.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So you 4 sens 2 accel guys are good with 2.5x 2.5y, I was a 3 sens 5 accel guy so would I be 2x/2y? What accel to go with?

Giving 3.5 X and Y with 3 Acc a go. 2 Fast

Was a 5sens player with 3 accel. Will report back after a few games of Warzone.

While I understand your reasoning here about not pegging all the time, I feel like a lot of people must have waaaaay more fine control than I do.  FWIW, I've always played somewhere between 3-5, generally lower in H1 and H2, higher in H3 and H4, and I've struggled with H5 aiming since launch.  The new settings help, but I'm constantly adjusting lower and lower, because while you say why force yourself to peg all the time, my response is how do you all aim WITHOUT pegging all the time?  I could come up with a million excuses/reasons as to why I think I do it, big hands, small controller (god rest the Duke, I'd pay twice what I paid for the Elite for a modern controller that size), didn't spend enough time using higher sensitivity as a kid (I'm old, but I wasn't when H1 launched), but my aiming is basically comprised of two thumb positions:

1.  Resting in the middle

2.  Pegged against the side

And I just make a bunch of rapid motions constantly pressing the stick against the side of the enclosure.  As I'm sure anyone else who plays this way will agree, H5 is not conducive to this style of aiming.  One thing I haven't seen anyone mention, there were comparisons made to the older versions and how they had a jump as well.  The only thing I can think of that might relate here is that it's not only the stick deflection position that needs to be considered, but also the amount of time the stick is held at or past that point.  This is completely guessing and just a theory, but is it possible the older versions waited longer before speeding up?  I believe acceleration is meant to contribute to this, but it still feels like it happens faster in H5, and with the constant peg aiming style, it leads to a ton of over correction and windmilling.

Sorry, nothing really objective here, but if we're all just spouting anecdotal evidence, I figured I'd get my $0.02 in.

FWIW, I think H4 is the crispiest but it's aim assist contributes a lot to that, but for overall feel I'd kill for H5 to emulate H1, as I've definitely got the most time in H1.

I never had much of a problem with H5's aiming, and I bounce back to MCC fairly regularly and don't notice too much difference. That said, I decided to fiddle with the settings using some of the suggestions here and my own. I normally play 3 sens with 2 aim accel and it has felt good for the most part.

The main two settings I spent time with was 2.5, 2.5 with various aim accel from 1 to 3, then 2X2Y with the same accels. Both of the adjusted horizontal settings felt more responsive, but also felt harder to control. 343 says it feels squirrely, but I would say those settings felt very twitchy. I'm not sure people like me that have played complaint free with aiming should be adjusting these too much.

While I understand your reasoning here about not pegging all the time, I feel like a lot of people must have waaaaay more fine control than I do.  FWIW, I've always played somewhere between 3-5, generally lower in H1 and H2, higher in H3 and H4, and I've struggled with H5 aiming since launch.  The new settings help, but I'm constantly adjusting lower and lower, because while you say why force yourself to peg all the time, my response is how do you all aim WITHOUT pegging all the time?  I could come up with a million excuses/reasons as to why I think I do it, big hands, small controller (god rest the Duke, I'd pay twice what I paid for the Elite for a modern controller that size), didn't spend enough time using higher sensitivity as a kid (I'm old, but I wasn't when H1 launched), but my aiming is basically comprised of two thumb positions:

And I just make a bunch of rapid motions constantly pressing the stick against the side of the enclosure.  As I'm sure anyone else who plays this way will agree, H5 is not conducive to this style of aiming.  One thing I haven't seen anyone mention, there were comparisons made to the older versions and how they had a jump as well.  The only thing I can think of that might relate here is that it's not only the stick deflection position that needs to be considered, but also the amount of time the stick is held at or past that point.  This is completely guessing and just a theory, but is it possible the older versions waited longer before speeding up?  I believe acceleration is meant to contribute to this, but it still feels like it happens faster in H5, and with the constant peg aiming style, it leads to a ton of over correction and windmilling.

Sorry, nothing really objective here, but if we're all just spouting anecdotal evidence, I figured I'd get my $0.02 in.

FWIW, I think H4 is the crispiest but it's aim assist contributes a lot to that, but for overall feel I'd kill for H5 to emulate H1, as I've definitely got the most time in H1.

Check your inbox

Yes i have a big problem with thumb position on the controller at times. I spent so long pc gaming the controller seems foreign to me. I can't seem to find the correct way to place my thumb on the thuummbstick.

TL;DR:  To match a sensitivity of 4 in Halo 1, I had to set Halo 5 to 3.0 horizontal sens, 0.5 vertical sens, and 1 acceleration

So, I did some experimenting when I got home.  I said earlier I wanted H5 to feel like H1, so I put my money where my mouth is, set them up side by side http://i.imgur.com/V20NQiB.png, and got to testing.

The first major thing I noticed, which was easy to test, how does the vertical sensitivity stand up between the two.  I have my H1 sensitivity set to 4, and my goal was to just drop the H5 sensitivity step by step until I could look straight up in both games, and then hold down on both controllers' aim sticks and get them to hit the bottom around the same time.  The problem is, I couldn't.  I had H5's vertical sensitivity set to 0.5, and the acceleration set to 1, and it could still get from straight up to straight down faster than the H1 controller set at 4 sensitivity.  

Crazy, honestly.

Now, testing horizontal sensitivities are a bit more subjective/prone to error.  I would press right or left on both sticks at the same time and perform quarter turns, half turns, or 360s by just looking at one screen, and once that hit, I'd let go of both.  I didn't test this to completion, but from what I was seeing, H5 horizontal sensitivity set to 2.5 wasn't as fast as H1 set to 4.  This is a bit more difficult as well given the acceleration, but I basically just eye'd it up as well as I could, and my guess is it's somewhere around 1 and 2.

The really shocking part to me is that a Horizontal sens of 2.5 equals a default sensitivity of 5.  I think a 3.0 would have been closer to H1's 4, which would be a default 6 in Halo 5.  However, a 6 in H5 is a 6 vertical sensitivity.  If we're trying to match these scales up equally, that means to match my H1 4 sensitivity horizontally, my launch H5 sens would be 6, but that would put my vertical sens at at 6, compared to 0.5 I discovered!  I know everyone complains about the acceleration curve/deflection threshold makes H5 feel wrong, but honestly a huge part of it could be how radically it seemed to adjust the X to Y ratio compared to older iterations (or at least H1).

Now, some thoughts from this.  I played a few games at 1.5 horizontal sens (3 default sens for those keeping track at home), 0.5 vertical sens (to match my H1 settings), and 1 acceleration (again, to match the H1 feel I was shooting) for.  Playing warzone assault, I had no problems.  Shots and line of sights are generally at distance, with rather "flat" verticality, and only occasionally do you really have to look straight up or down, especially at an instant.

I played an FFA on pegasus, admittedly on alt, and had no issues.  I only had a few battles reach close quarters, and the horizontal speed was enough to track a spartan running or sprinting past me at roughly 5m-10m.  A silent approach from the rear probably would trip me up, especially one with verticality, but honestly the battles I had across different vertical levels were all manageable, and gave me that old feel I was looking for.

My worst game was in Team Arena on my main.  Searching solo is always a crap shoot, and I got Assault on Tyrant against what was def TO4, so we got wrecked.  However, as far as the sens, this is definitely the match I noticed the biggest issues.  I was fighting someone top mid near the lift at scattershot spawn, and someone dropped down to scattershot, and I couldn't track him fast enough at all.  I definitely understand what 343 claims about how vertical H5 is, here was a few instances where my vertical sens screwed me.  Also, I had a few battles where I dropped from top of bases into the arm zone, and I kinda got screwed trying to get my aim back up.

My takeaway: The ratios are far different than old Halos, at least H1.  I'd be curious to see comparisons for 2,3,4 and reach if someone cares to play around with it.  While it's nice getting a feel that close to Halo 1, I'm going to have to concede to an extent and bump up the vertical sensitivity and get used to it.  However, it's nice to know that we aren't all crazy, and that there really were extreme differences in H5 that aren't just acceleration curves.  For those of you who have been playing H5 without issue, good for you, really.  I wish after all these years of playing, I could just adapt.  Luckily with these new settings, I don't have to, or at least not to the extent I did with default settings.

• Upvote (+1) 3