Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

The Aim Settings Thread

Yup. Although Y seems kinda slow to me honestly. But that could just be because I haven't played classic Halo in a while.

But yes, the individual values for X and Y match the older Halo games, not the numbers under "Look Sensitivity".

So to get old games i would have to make horizontal look sens 3 and vertical sens 3. To get 3 of the old games this is seems a touch much doesn't it just to achieve this?. I tried 1.5 x and 1.5 y last night and while it felt slower on the y axis it did feel alot like the default 3 sens of halo 5.

So to get old games i would have to make horizontal look sens 3 and vertical sens 3. To get 3 of the old games this is seems a touch much doesn't it just to achieve this?. I tried 1.5 x and 1.5 y last night and while it felt slower on the y axis it did feel alot like the default 3 sens of halo 5.

1.5 horizontal is default 3 of Halo 5. Default 3 in halo 5 is 1.5x 3y. The actual values (1.5 and 3) and the ones from old games. Basically, Halo 5 halved the horizontal axis and doubled the vertical (supposedly, since 343 hasn't commented). This is the conclusion Meanbean made. To replicate old games, use the horizontal and vertical numbers ONLY. Pretend the default numbers don't exist. So 3 sens would be 3 horizontal and 3 vertical.

1.5 horizontal is default 3 of Halo 5. Default 3 in halo 5 is 1.5x 3y. The actual values (1.5 and 3) and the ones from old games. Basically, Halo 5 halved the horizontal axis and doubled the vertical (supposedly, since 343 hasn't commented). This is the conclusion Meanbean made. To replicate old games, use the horizontal and vertical numbers ONLY. Pretend the default numbers don't exist. So 3 sens would be 3 horizontal and 3 vertical.

Yea i thought so has me wondering now if they increased the vertical for a good reason.

I'm not sure if they halved the horizontal sensitivities or if they doubled the vertical sensitivities (it's one of the two or near enough). In my previous posts I was running under the assumption that they doubled the vertical sensitivities (so that 1.5x is equal to the horizontal sensitivity of 3 in old Halos) because to me setting it to 3.0x, 3.0y felt much faster that 3 in previous Halos. However, I could be wrong there.

All I can tell for sure is that in H5 the ratio is closer to 1 by default (ie: horizontal and vertical sensitivities are almost the same) and that if you want a similar ratio to old Halos set the values to be equal.

They've set the settings up in a really weird way.

Yea i thought so has me wondering now if they increased the vertical for a good reason.

Personally I think changing the ratio to be roughly the same is a good thing.

I'm not sure if they halved the horizontal sensitivities or if they doubled the vertical sensitivities (it's one of the two or near enough). In my previous posts I was running under the assumption that they doubled the vertical sensitivities (so that 1.5x is equal to the horizontal sensitivity of 3 in old Halos) because to me setting it to 3.0x, 3.0y felt much faster that 3 in previous Halos. However, I could be wrong there.

All I can tell for sure is that in H5 the ratio is closer to 1 by default (ie: horizontal and vertical sensitivities are almost the same) and that if you want a similar ratio to old Halos set the values to be equal.

They've set the settings up in a really weird way.

Personally I think changing the ratio to be roughly is a good thing.

So you think having the values as equal is a good thing?. Yes i think this has all been implemented in a really complex way If 1.5 on both values equaled 3 sens from the old halos then 10 on each value would be 20 sens wouldn't it. I am going to give 2.5 on each axis with 2 accel a try see how it feels

• Upvote (+1) 1

So you think having the values as equal is a good thing?. Yes i think this has all been implemented in a really complex way If 1.5 on both values equaled 3 sens from the old halos then 10 on each value would be 20 sens wouldn't it. I am going to give 2.5 on each axis with 2 accel a try see how it feels

No, personally I prefer H5's default, as in having the actual sensitivities feel roughly the same and the horizontal value be half of the vertical.

I honestly think many of you are putting way too much time/thought into the whole sens issue. Constantly changing and experimenting with all the settings in an attempt to find that special combo that will magically fix H5's bad aiming is a pointless exercise.

Trying to make the im feel "more like halo _" is probably one of the dumber things I keep seeing. This is a different game. You need the higher vertical sens in this game. You also need lower horizontal sens because of the input lag and the reduced autoaim.

Constantly changing/fucking with everything is just going to prevent you from adapting to a specific setting. Instead of constantly fiddling with shit just find something that feels good enough and stick with it. You need to let your muscle memory take over and it'll never happen if you keep tinkering.

Accidental downvote

There's nothing complex about it. Just how fast you want to look left and right, and how fast you want to look up and down. What's so complex.

There's nothing complex about it. Just how fast you want to look left and right, and how fast you want to look up and down. What's so complex.

The way 343 have set up the values in the settings is weird considering by default the "speed" at which you aim horizontally and vertically is roughly the same however the values in the settings are different. That's what is confusing people. 

The way 343 have set up the values in the settings is weird considering by default the "speed" at which you aim horizontally and vertically is roughly the same however the values in the settings are different. That's what is confusing people.

But why does that matter? Just do what feels comfortable. If people would stop trying to get someone to tell them the best setup, and just play with the settings till it feels right then everyone would be fine. Because honestly I no longer have the awkward aiming thanks to these new settings.

Yup. Although Y seems kinda slow to me honestly. But that could just be because I haven't played classic Halo in a while.

But yes, the individual values for X and Y match the older Halo games, not the numbers under "Look Sensitivity".

I still don't understand what you're saying. Is it that 3x and 3y= the 3 setting on old games?

On 4x,4y,0 accel and deadzones it feels decent but it still has that wild ass jump when i push the stick to the edge, always gets my shot off

I get how it works and everything now myself i just think its a very daft way of doing things really i mean theirs simpler ways of doing things

I honestly think many of you are putting way too much time/thought into the whole sens issue. Constantly changing and experimenting with all the settings in an attempt to find that special combo that will magically fix H5's bad aiming is a pointless exercise. 

Trying to make the im feel "more like halo _" is probably one of the dumber things I keep seeing. This is a different game. You need the higher vertical sens in this game. You also need lower horizontal sens because of the input lag and the reduced autoaim.

Constantly changing/fucking with everything is just going to prevent you from adapting to a specific setting. Instead of constantly fiddling with shit just find something that feels good enough and stick with it. You need to let your muscle memory take over and it'll never happen if you keep tinkering. 

Chillax ... the people who are changing their settings are, for the most part, not happy with the current aiming.  I personally found that 1.5x/1.5y, 2 accel, is better than the 2 sens, 4 accel that I was using before, so there's nothing wrong with discussing these issues and trying new settings.  

I understand that V-sync is still a problem, blah blah, but deadzones/accel/x-y sens make a legitimate difference

Anyone who used to use 3 sens 5 accel find anything that felt good to them after recent update? I'm all over the place lately.

Played 3-4 sens in past halos

Anyone who used to use 3 sens 5 accel find anything that felt good to them after recent update? I'm all over the place lately.

Played 3-4 sens in past halos

I was 3 sens 4 acc and I just switched to 1.5x 1.5y and kept the 4 acc and I'm liking it. Really the y anywhere from 1.5-2.5 is pretty nice (default 3 with 3 sens)

If anything this just highlights the main issue, being that we should never have had this issue in the first place. 343 knows people are not happy about the aiming, thats why they keep rolling out new updates that they market as more "customization". Covering the fact that its an issue in the first place. When it comes down to it, there should only be default 1,2,3 ect... also you know its an issue when pros are still having sens crisis this far into a game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If anything this just highlights the main issue, being that we should never have had this issue in the first place. 343 knows people are not happy about the aiming, thats why they keep rolling out new updates that they market as more "customization". Covering the fact that its an issue in the first place. When it comes down to it, there should only be default 1,2,3 ect... also you know its an issue when pros are still having sens crisis this far into a game.

Thought the majority of pros had settled on a sensitivity?

I played on 3H 3V 1 accel 0 dead zones for the night and it felt pretty fluid. Will prolly stick with it unless something else feels good

Reading this thread is making me so sad, no one ever complained about the aiming in the beta. They fucked up big time, hopefully Halo 6 will go back to having a good aiming system. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Reading this thread is making me so sad, no one ever complained about the aiming in the beta. They fucked up big time, hopefully Halo 6 will go back to having a good aiming system. 

Are you sure you wouldn't be happy if instead they put in an aim smoothing option that has nothing to do with why you don't like the aiming in the first place? 

That would satisfy you, right? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are you sure you wouldn't be happy if instead they put in an aim smoothing option that has nothing to do with why you don't like the aiming in the first place?

That would satisfy you, right?

That even a real thing?

I feel like 3x 3y feels too fast and isn't comparable to 3 sensitivity in the old Halos. If anything, I think 1.5x 1.5y is more like 3 sens in the old games.

I understand the argument that 10x would be like having 20 sensitivity in the old games, but if the 3 sensitivity in this game is 1.5x by default, then literally doubling that horizontal axis is gonna have the x-axis be like aiming with 6 sensitivity and that's honestly what it feels like setting horizontal axis to 3

Try 1.5x 1.5y with 4 acc. I think decreasing the vertical to a slower speed than the horizontal (in this case, setting them equal to each other), makes it like the older Halos. And with these settings, it's definitely not that slow and I'd say comparable to 3 sensitivity of the old ones. With 4 acceleration, you really don't get any slow turn

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any tips for a scrub who's used to 2 sens in the older Halo's? Haven't played around with the new settings yet.