Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

The Aim Settings Thread

I misunderstood the question, this is right.

Sorry poor choice of words I meant What type of Stick as in tall or short for the aiming stick i mean.

Earlier when I said I settled on 2.5/2.5/4, well, I lied. I'm now 3/3/2. Feels better to me but really I'm just going crazy at this point. Sens crisis on another level. I'm even swapping between multiple controllers. Lmao

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sorry poor choice of words I meant What type of Stick as in tall or short for the aiming stick i mean.

You mean like Kontrol Freeks/elite controller stick extensions? If so, I highly recommend a tall right stick and normal left stick height.

You mean like Kontrol Freeks/elite controller stick extensions? If so, I highly recommend a tall right stick and normal left stick height.

I don't have a Scuf for the XOne yet but on 360 I had a Domed Right stick and a normal left stick. It was awesome.

I Have an elite, People mention about using a tall stick on the right stick, Are there any cons to using a tall stick do you know?

I Have an elite, People mention about using a tall stick on the right stick, Are there any cons to using a tall stick do you know?

None that I can think of other than that it will probably feel awkward at first to have your thumb higher than usual.

None that I can think of other than that it will probably feel awkward at first to have your thumb higher than usual.

By that i assume you mean it will take a while to get used to?. I get that i just need to stick to a sensitivity been testing this equal values with the x and y axis. Some people said to me though that there CQB gameplay suffered somewhat with tall thumbstick on the aim stick have you found this at all?.

Earlier when I said I settled on 2.5/2.5/4, well, I lied. I'm now 3/3/2. Feels better to me but really I'm just going crazy at this point. Sens crisis on another level. I'm even swapping between multiple controllers. Lmao

I think most everyone benefits from a lower acceleration. That jump in reticle speed is a big bitch lol.

I remember when H5 first came out and a TON of pros were playing on 3/5 (Roy, LBX, Snipedown, lots of others) etc. I remember Lethul specifically yelling at people to JUST TURN IT TO 2 ALREADY (not that it's the end all be all).

Now I look and most pros including those three have settled on 4/2 or something similar.

By that i assume you mean it will take a while to get used to?. I get that i just need to stick to a sensitivity been testing this equal values with the x and y axis. Some people said to me though that there CQB gameplay suffered somewhat with tall thumbstick on the aim stick have you found this at all?.

It shouldn't take that long to get used to, maybe a few days or so. I've been using them for a few years and I can't really remember how my CQB aim was then compared to now, especially since I've gotten quite a bit better overall since. You'll mostly notice an improvement in mid-long range aiming, though it's possible your CQB accuracy may suffer, but I don't think it's that bad.

It shouldn't take that long to get used to, maybe a few days or so. I've been using them for a few years and I can't really remember how my CQB aim was then compared to now, especially since I've gotten quite a bit better overall since. You'll mostly notice an improvement in mid-long range aiming, though it's possible your CQB accuracy may suffer, but I don't think it's that bad.

Thanks for the help i will take all the advice i can get Its been years since i played xbox, i did on the 360 for a stint for reach but apart from that I have been a pc gamer always. Not shooters either. Halo is the only shooter i play. I am still having trouble with look acceleration to.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I tried an elevated stick for a bit a few years ago.  I couldn't stand it.  Whatever you gain from that added control is outweighed by how difficult they make routine midrange kills.  Granted, I didn't struggle through it and get used to it.  I had one too many easy kills get away over the course of like 3 games and I said "Fuck this shit forever".

As everyone else's replies have shown, it's definitely personal preference, but I'm the type to try out everything.  In H5 alone I've tried tall sticks, trigger aiming, paddles on the elite, etc.  The tall sticks were something I could not get used to.  Now, there is definitely a fight range where they help, and honestly if we were all still playing H1 H2 or H3, where enemy movement speeds were fairly linear, I'd probably stick with it.  However, the sliding, thrustering and general movement that require twitch changes in H5 made the tall stick feel too slow for me.

As everyone else's replies have shown, it's definitely personal preference, but I'm the type to try out everything.  In H5 alone I've tried tall sticks, trigger aiming, paddles on the elite, etc.  The tall sticks were something I could not get used to.  Now, there is definitely a fight range where they help, and honestly if we were all still playing H1 H2 or H3, where enemy movement speeds were fairly linear, I'd probably stick with it.  However, the sliding, thrustering and general movement that require twitch changes in H5 made the tall stick feel too slow for me.

not to be a nerd (I mean, we're on a Halo forum, but still ha), but a lot of "how effective are control freeks/longer analogs?" comes down to hand size, finger length, and the resulting leverage you're able to PROPERLY put on the right stick.

People with larger hands and longer fingers will find the Kontrol Freeks to be adequately comfortable, as they can still have their thumb resting at a good angle while still having control of their shot. I've found that, even with an average-sized hand, the thumb has to extend a little "too straight" to be properly placed on Kontrol Freeks. Realistically, you want to make sure that your hand and thumb position looks more or less the same, whether you're on the shortened or longer sticks.

Personally, especially in H5, as people have pointed out above, the movement is way to quick and varied for Kontrol Freeks or long sticks to be practical for me. I got lulled into thinking they were the bees knees while playing Warzone, because everyone was relatively far from me, and my long shots were frankly the shit. However, once I got into medium/close range, I found that the fraction of time lost when having to adjust my aim on longer sticks accumulated over the course of an engagement, and I got slaughtered.

Preference, preference preference. However, those with larger hands are more likely to enjoy KF's than others.

• Upvote (+1) 1

not to be a nerd (I mean, we're on a Halo forum, but still ha), but a lot of "how effective are control freeks/longer analogs?" comes down to hand size, finger length, and the resulting leverage you're able to PROPERLY put on the right stick.

People with larger hands and longer fingers will find the Kontrol Freeks to be adequately comfortable, as they can still have their thumb resting at a good angle while still having control of their shot. I've found that, even with an average-sized hand, the thumb has to extend a little "too straight" to be properly placed on Kontrol Freeks. Realistically, you want to make sure that your hand and thumb position looks more or less the same, whether you're on the shortened or longer sticks.

Personally, especially in H5, as people have pointed out above, the movement is way to quick and varied for Kontrol Freeks or long sticks to be practical for me. I got lulled into thinking they were the bees knees while playing Warzone, because everyone was relatively far from me, and my long shots were frankly the shit. However, once I got into medium/close range, I found that the fraction of time lost when having to adjust my aim on longer sticks accumulated over the course of an engagement, and I got slaughtered.

Preference, preference preference. However, those with larger hands are more likely to enjoy KF's than others.

It's funny you mention hand size, because as I mentioned previously I was a big fan of the duke back in the day.  It's one of the reasons I really thought I would like the controller stand-offs like KFs.  However, I think the biggest part of the size thing for me is the controller fitting your hand, and not just the thumb range of mobility.  Up until about two years ago, I used to aim with the right stick in the middle of my thumb, because that's how my hand fit the controller comfortably.  Once I started clawing 100% of the time, I ended up having to use the "pad" or tip of my thumb in order to get the hand placement correct.

It's funny you mention hand size, because as I mentioned previously I was a big fan of the duke back in the day.  It's one of the reasons I really thought I would like the controller stand-offs like KFs.  However, I think the biggest part of the size thing for me is the controller fitting your hand, and not just the thumb range of mobility.  Up until about two years ago, I used to aim with the right stick in the middle of my thumb, because that's how my hand fit the controller comfortably.  Once I started clawing 100% of the time, I ended up having to use the "pad" or tip of my thumb in order to get the hand placement correct.

I used to aim with the pad of my thumb back with the S-controller (i still miss that thing).  I have fairly large hands so as the controller have gotten smaller, the thumbstick has gotten closer and closer to my knuckle of my thumb just to be comfortable with my overall hand position.  I tried using the taller sticks with my elite controller and they were comfortable, but the aiming felt "squirrely".  now that i have the X and Y axis set the same.... maybe i'll try it again.

I used to aim with the pad of my thumb back with the S-controller (i still miss that thing). I have fairly large hands so as the controller have gotten smaller, the thumbstick has gotten closer and closer to my knuckle of my thumb just to be comfortable with my overall hand position. I tried using the taller sticks with my elite controller and they were comfortable, but the aiming felt "squirrely". now that i have the X and Y axis set the same.... maybe i'll try it again.

When I had X and Y set equal the aiming still felt very jumpy, but now I have it on 3.5 Horizontal and 1.5 Vertical and it's smooth as silk.

When I had X and Y set equal the aiming still felt very jumpy, but now I have it on 3.5 Horizontal and 1.5 Vertical and it's smooth as silk.

Your vertical speed must feel so slow compared to the horizontal...

Yeah, now the y axis is literally > 4 times slower than the default. Was your aiming that much off prior to the update? Lol

Yeah, now the y axis is literally > 4 times slower than the default. Was your aiming that much off prior to the update? Lol

My aim was more on point than most anyone prior to the update, now it's far better. People keep talking about how we need more vertical because of the movement. Yet when people thrust left and right I don't need faster vertical. It makes since when you think about it.

I really like 3.5 3.5 with 2 accel and dead zones set to 0.

Any of u guys mess with the domed sticks with your elite? I kinda like them. I'm also screwing around with having left trigger zoom in. I know it's anti halo but I figure clicking the joystick takes away from precision aiming so this will allow for more accurate quick scoping.

I feel an advantage from this... When I'm not accidentally pressing the wrong button and playing like an autistic kid. Trying to fight over 10 years of muscle memory ain't easy.

I was in a crises for about a week trying to force myself into matching the x and y. I stopped that and settled on 2 and 3.5 with 4 accel.

Just got XBL again after not having it for a few days. Hopped on Halo 5 to mess with aiming settings. My old settings were standard 3 sensitivity, 5A.

First I tried 2.5H, 2.5V, 2A, which felt okayish, but 2.5H was a little fast for mid-long range encounters, and my turn speed felt a little slow. I've now settled on 2H, 2.5V, 4A, and it feels a lot better than before. I still want a squirrelly option.

After a ton of experimentation, I've found what is (to me) the equivalent of 3 sens in previous Halo games: 2 / 1.5, and then 5 accel (0% deadzones)

2 / 1 is just 2 sens (which is reasonably close to 3 sens in older Halo games) but this still felt a bit too sluggish to me ... 2 / 2 and 1.5 / 1.5 didn't feel quite right either (no matter what accel I used) ... anyway I would advise any 3 sens users in older Halo games to try 2 / 1.5, 5 accel

• Upvote (+1) 1