Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

The Aim Settings Thread

Now, some thoughts from this.  I played a few games at 1.5 horizontal sens (3 default sens for those keeping track at home), 0.5 vertical sens (to match my H1 settings), and 1 acceleration (again, to match the H1 feel I was shooting) for.

lol I know we had a long PM convo, but just so you know, that is an absolutely terrible setup. I don't know how you're doing your measurements, but you won't be able to track anyone at 1.5 S, and .5? You may as well be moving through molasses.

If you won't try 2.5/2.5 for any length of time, at least do 1.5/1.5 minimum

Well, if it's comparable to the bubble bath described above...

on a serious note, it's damned near perfect for me. No matter which direction you aim, it's at the same speed. The 2 acceleration lets you make fine adjustments while not being too much (causing over-correction).

After 343i confirmed, whichever sense you choose, it does not appear as though making your x and y values different is a good thing

Yes. Intuitively, it is bad.

343 said that they made the default vertical value twice the horizontal value because "the game plays more vertical." but if your X and Y values differ, you literally aim at different speeds depending on which direction you're looking. If you set X and Y values = to each other, you know at all times exactly how fast your reticle will be moving.

That's not how the sensitivities work... see my previous post:

I dunno if you realise this or not but making the sensitivity values the same actually increases the difference in sensitivity. By default H5's vertical and horizontal sensitivities are very similar whereas in the older Halos this was not the case.

Here's a comparison between H5, H2 and H2A on the MCC, in these clips I'm just rotating the stick anti-clockwise:

H5 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491784

H2 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491741

H2A - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491868 (doesn't start until about half way through).

In these clips I'm flicking the stick left and right then up and down:

H5 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491563

H2 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491864

H2A - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491676

In previous Halos the vertical sensitivity was far lower than the horizontal, in H5 they're very similar by default.

If you set the x and y values to be same then your vertical aiming speed is going to be lower than the horizontal aiming speed. By default (ie: x is half the y) the vertical and horizontal aiming speeds are roughly the same.

All you have to watch is this clip and you'll see what I mean: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491784

Notice how by default the reticle roughly paints a circle whereas when the x and y values are equal it paints an oval.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, more or less, the aiming isn't going to feel like older Halo games because of the logic that the added vertical play of H5 needs the vertical sens to be higher to keep up with the change in heights?

FWIW, I think H4 is the crispiest but it's aim assist contributes a lot to that, but for overall feel I'd kill for H5 to emulate H1, as I've definitely got the most time in H1.

Ahhhh I guess that's true, shit lol ... this is probably why I love H4 MCC aiming so much (I can four-shot everyone due to aim assist).

Anyway I played 2 sens, 4 accel before ... I'm currently on 2x/2y / 3accel because 1.5x/1.5y felt a bit too slow to me.  Liking it so far, we'll see

I played 4 sense 3 look acceleration for the whole of the game up to this point. Something never quite felt consistent though.

Since I the update I have reduced the X & Y by 0.5 which has made a massive improvement.

I am now on X1.5 Y3.5 3 accel.

That's not how the sensitivities work... see my previous post:

If you set the x and y values to be same then your vertical aiming speed is going to be lower than the horizontal aiming speed. By default (ie: x is half the y) the vertical and horizontal aiming speeds are roughly the same.

All you have to watch is this clip and you'll see what I mean: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491784

Notice how by default the reticle roughly paints a circle whereas when the x and y values are equal it paints an oval.

I hope you realize how utterly subjective your analysis was, lmao. No offense, but the first test definitely looked "ovular" as well, and in my opinion, the second iteration was closer to a circle. Also, I find it a bit odd that me matching my x and y values does feels exactly how I'd expect it to- equal moving along each axis. Also, when I twirl my reticle, it moves much more in a circle than yours was.

Maybe you're subconsciously moving the stick a bit differently or viewing the results differently based upon your expectations, but I'd say that, after a ton of time put in on both my default 4/2 and 2.5x/2.5y, the latter appears to definitely be more uniform.

If you really want to test, you should be moving the stick a lot quicker, as it won't allow you as much room to unknowingly vary your pressure on the RS. It's kind of like drawing a circle. You draw one much better when you do it smoothly and quickly, not when you try and slow it down.

If matching the x and y values implies that they'll move at the same speed, and the eye test tells me they're moving at the same speed, and many hours using the sensitivity tell me they're moving at the same speed, I'm going to go ahead and assume that what the settings imply is what the settings are.

Edit: I do not want to post what I am saying as fact, either. I would love it if you PM'd me an explanation beyond that clip re: why your thought process is as you've stated.

lol I know we had a long PM convo, but just so you know, that is an absolutely terrible setup. I don't know how you're doing your measurements, but you won't be able to track anyone at 1.5 S, and .5? You may as well be moving through molasses.

If you won't try 2.5/2.5 for any length of time, at least do 1.5/1.5 minimum

I know that it's unreasonable, but I had to at least try it out.  I ran 1.5 horizontal/0.5 vertical and 1 accel for a TO4 session of breakout last night, and I believe we went 6/10 playing with a mix of champions and others.  Honestly, breakout isn't super effected by the extremely low sens, communication is key, and it's more about where could they be and reticle placement.  Here was one of my better rounds from last night:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AutomatousBeing/video/17620813

That was against two champs and two who I presume they're just ranking up on new accounts:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/0fce7f0b-041b-4172-b815-df0d325d0234/players/automatousbeing?gameHistoryMatchIndex=3&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

Still, I have to concede that as I said, breakout is extremely communication dependent, and the maps are laid out flat and long, very much unlike Arena/Slayer maps, which plays to the strengths of a low sens.  I don't know exactly where I'll fall, I'm going to try 2.5/somewhere between 1.0-2.0/1, and stick to it for a month and see what I can do with it.

So the takeaway is that super lower sens has its place but is unreasonable across the board, but made for a fun experiment for a night!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I hope you realize how utterly subjective your analysis was, lmao. No offense, but the first test definitely looked "ovular" as well, and in my opinion, the second iteration was closer to a circle. Also, I find it a bit odd that me matching my x and y values does feels exactly how I'd expect it to- equal moving along each axis. Also, when I twirl my reticle, it moves much more in a circle than yours was.

Maybe you're subconsciously moving the stick a bit differently or viewing the results differently based upon your expectations, but I'd say that, after a ton of time put in on both my default 4/2 and 2.5x/2.5y, the latter appears to definitely be more uniform.

If you really want to test, you should be moving the stick a lot quicker, as it won't allow you as much room to unknowingly vary your pressure on the RS. It's kind of like drawing a circle. You draw one much better when you do it smoothly and quickly, not when you try and slow it down.

If matching the x and y values implies that they'll move at the same speed, and the eye test tells me they're moving at the same speed, and many hours using the sensitivity tell me they're moving at the same speed, I'm going to go ahead and assume that what the settings imply is what the settings are.

Edit: I do not want to post what I am saying as fact, either. I would love it if you PM'd me an explanation beyond that clip re: why your thought process is as you've stated.

I'm sorry but you're straight up wrong.

First of all in that clip the first rotation is very, very clearly more circular. I think you need to watch it again. Here's another one to show it more clearly:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17623262

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&sr

The shots on the left are with 2.5x, 5y whereas the shots on the right are with 3x, 3y. I was trying to spin my stick about as quick as possible.

I guess it's possible that I'm aiming slightly differently with the different settings but I'm 100% not trying to and there's too big of a difference for it to be a very slight subconcious effect on my part. Then again it's equally possible that because you've set the values to be the same your brain is assuming they feel the same.

Secondly, the vertical feels far slower to me and most other people when the x and y values are set the same.

Thirdly, 343 have said that if you want to replicate the aiming speed ratios of old Halos you need to set the x and y values to be the same. In Halo the vertical aiming speed has always been lower than the horizontal. Until H5 where they're about the same.

Seriously, I have no reason to lie to you, setting the x and y values to be the same increases the difference.

One method where you can really feel the difference is if you flick the stick up and down, then flick the stick left and right. You can really feel the difference between the aiming speeds when the x and y values are the same that way.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Seriously, I have no reason to lie to you, setting the x and y values to be the same increases the difference.

lol to be fair, I never once said or implied that you're lying. The mark of someone who wants to learn the how *and* why is asking questions, especially when the results are not intuitive.

Thank you for your input. To be clear, you're saying that matching the sensitivities will make the aim feel like the old Halo titles? ala 2 & 3, etc? Do you think that may be why I feel so much more comfortable with my axes matching? I can't think of another reason why my average accuracy has jumped nearly 10%.

Again, I never called you a liar, but I also don't feel ashamed about questioning things until I understand them! Thank you again.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol to be fair, I never once said or implied that you're lying. The mark of someone who wants to learn the how *and* why is asking questions, especially when the results are not intuitive.

Thank you for your input. To be clear, you're saying that matching the sensitivities will make the aim feel like the old Halo titles? ala 2 & 3, etc? Do you think that may be why I feel so much more comfortable with my axes matching? I can't think of another reason why my average accuracy has jumped nearly 10%.

Again, I never called you a liar, but I also don't feel ashamed about questioning things until I understand them! Thank you again.

Fair enough, sorry if I seemed a bit overly defensive.

Yeah, 343 have said that setting the values to be the same will make the ratio be roughly the same as older Halos. I'd say that's almost certainly why you're aiming has improved.

I also agree that the way they set out the settings is not intuitive at all. I think their aim (heh, no pun intended) was to make it so matching the ratios of older Halos was simple but it certainly makes the whole thing far more confusing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I had previously been on 4/5 and played 5 in H1 and 4 in everything else. After hours of trying out different combinations, I think 3.5x/3y/4 accel feels like I'm in control without being squirrely. 

Can confirm 2.5/2.5/3 feels like Alba and scar jo in a bubble bath

well, now that ll Meanbean ll has schooled me on why it feels so much better, it's definitely that old school H2 feel.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Currently using 1x 1.5y 5acc, but have been messing around with going in the other direction, more like a 2x 2y 1acc ish setup.  Anyone else going with the lower sensitivity yet higher acceleration setup?

I've had quite a few days to test a few sensitivities now and for me when the values are the same for example i tried 2.5/2.5 and 2/2 the vertical felt too slow for me i am no expert but it seems to me the reason they set the ratios that way is legit. Again though far from an expert, Casual at best.

Edit: Also on a sidenote to do with aiming but thumbsticks which thumbstick is best for aiming? is it just personal preference or does the tall one offer major advantages?.

The vertical being set so high is why people's aim was so jumpy. A TV screen is much smaller from bottom to top than it is from left to right. So it literally makes no sense to have vertical faster than horizontal. #343Logic

The vertical being set so high is why people's aim was so jumpy. A TV screen is much smaller from bottom to top than it is from left to right. So it literally makes no sense to have vertical faster than horizontal. #343Logic

The maps are more vertical hence the increase in y axis aiming. Playing on = sens will gimp your ability to adjust to vertical movement (someone thrusting into a weird angle that requires you to look up). So yes you have more consistency in traditional halo encounters but you sacrifice a decent bit when you get into certain situations exclusive to H5s mechanics.

The maps are more vertical hence the increase in y axis aiming. Playing on = sens will gimp your ability to adjust to vertical movement (someone thrusting into a weird angle that requires you to look up). So yes you have more consistency in traditional halo encounters but you sacrifice a decent bit when you get into certain situations exclusive to H5s mechanics.

I do think it's all preference. The fact is, if you're more comfortable with the way the old Halo games used to aim, you will aim better with the x and y values being equal to each other.

Being able to adjust slightly more quickly is negated for a lot of people by the loss of control cause by said quicker adjustments

People can try to defend the original settings all they want, but the game feels better when x and y are the same.  my accuracy has also jumped 8 - 10% and i find it easier to track people vertically than before.  And i do bet if we were playing on square TVs, when x and y are the same, it would paint a perfect circle.  Screen ratio and FoV definitely make a difference here.

Halo 5 is also not as vertical as people seem to argue it is.  Sure, you can get up to ledges faster but you aren't going to fight that way.  When you are actually in a battle with someone, they are going to try to juke you horizontally, not vertically.  How much more "vertical" the game is has been vastly overstated imo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What thumbstick do you guys use for aiming?

Use LS to make large aim adjustments, use RS to make the finer ones. You will blow by solely aiming with the RS. Try to use your strafe to line up shots.

Use LS to make large aim adjustments, use RS to make the finer ones. You will blow by solely aiming with the RS. Try to use your strafe to line up shots.

I misunderstood the question, this is right.

I misunderstood the question, this is right.

I was going to answer it exactly like you did, but once I read yours, I decided he probably wasn't asking about stick layout haha.