Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

The Aim Settings Thread

I tried matching my horizontal sensitivity to my vertical on 3 sens. My reticle kept going all over the place, so I reverted to the old ratio. But I play on 5 accel, 15% outer, so maybe that's why. Whatever the case, I seem to have become much more accustomed to the crappy aiming than most people here have been able to, though I would still kill for an option to completely revert it to the beta.

Matching vertical to horizontal is going to feel really fast to most people who are used to h5 aiming. A pretty simple adjustment that a lot of people (especially those who have gotten fairly comfortable with h5 aiming) are opting for is either: increase x by .5 and lower Accel by up to 3 or decrease vertical by .5 or 1. If you are already used to having faster vertical than horizontal, you probably won't feel comfortable changing it too much, and less is more in a lot of cases.

1.5 H

3.5 V

5    A

0/0 DZ

Felt stellar to me last night but it's probably all in my head.

Mind trying 2H and a lower Accel (just to satisfy my curiosity)? I'm fascinated by the few people who have opted to increase their vertical and left the horizontal untouched.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Mind trying 2H and a lower Accel (just to satisfy my curiosity)? I'm fascinated by the few people who have opted to increase their vertical and left the horizontal untouched.

Will do, I'll keep you posted.

If anyone wants to run FFA Custom's later to get us through this sens crisis then add away.  GT: Brad Riffs

Can confirm 2.5, 2.5 2 accl feels like teh sex

I definitely think 2.5 2.5 is the fucking best I've felt with Halo 5's aiming... ever. It feels perfect. Like to me, old school "3" sensitivity.

I may have just had a good game or something, but I got home from work and played one game cold. 38k 7a 10d lol

2.5V/2.5H/1A. I get now why I always had so much fucking trouble tracking people in close range, when the default horizontal sensitivity is cut in half. So stupid. Their reasoning was that the game is very vertical, right? How awful is that logic? 

"Since you'll need to be able to adjust your aim quickly and accurately, as spartans will be approaching from all angles, we've decided to make you aim at different speeds depending on which direction you're aiming!"

Uh, the jump happens at 50-ish percent of your stick range, so I don't see how that's possible. 

I don't know what jump you're referring to, this is what my aiming looks like with my current settings:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491208

The first two turns I go to about 95% deflection, the final one I go to 100% and you can see the jump to turning speed.

For comparison here's me doing the same thing in H4:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491432

Which funnily enough also has a jump to turning speed at max deflection.

I don't know what jump you're referring to, this is what my aiming looks like with my current settings:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491208

The first two turns I go to about 95% deflection, the final one I go to 100% and you can see the jump to turning speed.

For comparison here's me doing the same thing in H4:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491432

Which funnily enough also has a jump to turning speed at max deflection.

Unless they magically fixed the aiming system with this update and didn't actually tell anyone, if the turning speed was invoked at 95% deflection, literally no one would've ever complained

I definitely think 2.5 2.5 is the fucking best I've felt with Halo 5's aiming... ever. It feels perfect. Like to me, old school "3" sensitivity.

I may have just had a good game or something, but I got home from work and played one game cold. 38k 7a 10d lol

2.5V/2.5H/1A. I get now why I always had so much fucking trouble tracking people in close range, when the default horizontal sensitivity is cut in half. So stupid. Their reasoning was that the game is very vertical, right? How awful is that logic? 

"Since you'll need to be able to adjust your aim quickly and accurately, as spartans will be approaching from all angles, we've decided to make you aim at different speeds depending on which direction you're aiming!"

I dunno if you realise this or not but making the sensitivity values the same actually increases the difference in sensitivity. By default H5's vertical and horizontal sensitivities are very similar whereas in the older Halos this was not the case. 

Here's a comparison between H5, H2 and H2A on the MCC, in these clips I'm just rotating the stick anti-clockwise:

H5 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491784

H2 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491741

H2A - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491868 (doesn't start until about half way through).

In these clips I'm flicking the stick left and right then up and down:

H5 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491563

H2 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491864

H2A - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491676

In previous Halos the vertical sensitivity was far lower than the horizontal, in H5 they're very similar by default.

Unless they magically fixed the aiming system with this update and didn't actually tell anyone, if the turning speed was invoked at 95% deflection, literally no one would've ever complained

Honestly I think in large part it's due to people not understanding what the settings do/343 not explaining them properly. Pretty sure 0% outer deadzone has always been like this.

At 10% outer deadzone (default) the jump does feel like it happens at a lot closer to 50% stick deflection, maybe more like 75%. 15% outer deadzone feels pretty bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly I think in large part it's due to people not understanding what the settings do/343 not explaining them properly. Pretty sure 0% outer deadzone has always been like this.

At 10% outer deadzone (default), the jump does feel like it happens at a lot closer to 50% stick deflection, maybe more like 75%. 15% outer deadzone feels bad.

I'm sure the XIM4 people understand it better than anyone who doesn't work for 343 (and then probably better than most people at 343 anyway). 

I played on 0% deadzone since they released that update and it didn't change the aiming one iota. 

I'm sure the XIM4 people understand it better than anyone who doesn't work for 343 (and then probably better than most people at 343 anyway). 

I played on 0% deadzone since they released that update and it didn't change the aiming one iota. 

Well then your problem with the aiming isn't the sudden jump because Halo has always this sudden jump (to a varying degree) at max stick deflection, the difference with H5 is that by default the jump happens before maximum stick deflection and has a slightly larger increase. However, changing the deadzone to 0% and the aim acceleration to 1/2 fixes that somewhat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well then your problem with the aiming isn't the sudden jump because Halo has always this sudden jump (to a varying degree) at max stick deflection, the difference with H5 is that by default the jump happens before maximum stick deflection and has a slightly larger increase. However, changing the deadzone to 0% and the aim acceleration to 1/2 fixes that somewhat.

You just stated the way in which H5's aiming is unique and then said that it's clearly not the problem.

The deadzone and acceleration settings do. Not. Help. 

Period. 

You just stated the way in which H5's aiming is unique and then said that it's clearly not the problem.

The deadzone and acceleration settings do. Not. Help. 

Period. 

Like I said, your problem isn't with the acceleration jump then because changing the deadzone and acceleration settings 100% does help with that.

Like I said, your problem isn't with the acceleration jump then because changing the deadzone and acceleration settings 100% does help with that.

Okay, but it doesn't, because it clearly did not help me and pretty much everyone else on this forum who has a problem with the sensitivity curves. 

I haven't had much chance to test yet, So does matching the values give the same aim as in old halos like it was claimed by them?.

Ive never had an issue with the aiming. So mines stayed on standard 4sens/2accel. Played with it a bit lastnight, never found a setting that felt smoother to me

I am just wondering if what 343 said it legit i can't test it till Sunday.  Just wondering if anyone's had a good chance to test things.

I haven't had much chance to test yet, So does matching the values give the same aim as in old halos like it was claimed by them?.

Yeah, making the values the same makes the vertical slower and the horizontal faster like the old games.

Yeah, making the values the same makes the vertical slower and the horizontal faster like the old games.

That's so weird. Why did they make it so that the same value is a different speed on each axis? Their scaling literally makes no logical sense lol

Also, I'm pretty sure the values in the game engine can be set to anything, so why not let use just pick any value?

Question is would that be better for h5. i guess i will find out on sunday.

That's so weird. Why did they make it so that the same value is a different speed on each axis? Their scaling literally makes no logical sense lol

Also, I'm pretty sure the values in the game engine can be set to anything, so why not let use just pick any value?

They claimed it was because of the lack of aim assist and the increased verticality in game.

Question is would that be better for h5. i guess i will find out on sunday.

They claimed it was because of the lack of aim assist and the increased verticality in game.

I know that part, but why did they make a 3 in the ui on the x axis be a completely different speed than a 3 in the ui on the y axis? Also, why do the default settings have the value for the y speed as twice as much as the value of the x speed if the actual speeds in game do not correspond to that ratio. It's like saying that a person running at 5mph has the same velocity as a person falling at 10mph with a disclaimer that 5x = 10y. It makes no sense.

Ideally the default Halo 5 settings would be labelled as 3 x and 2-2.5 y rather than 1.5 x and 3 y.

EDIT: I suppose it's because the based the representation of the values around setting them to the same value being an easy way to get classic halo's ratio, but it is incredibly confusing to tweak around with. It would have been much less annoying to have an open field and then say something like "Classic Halo's ratio is 1.3x/y" or something like that. I hope this post isn't too confusing.

I know that part, but why did they make a 3 in the ui on the x axis be a completely different speed than a 3 in the ui on the y axis? Also, why do the default settings have the value for the y speed as twice as much as the value of the x speed if the actual speeds in game do not correspond to that ratio. It's like saying that a person running at 5mph has the same velocity as a person falling at 10mph with a disclaimer that 5x = 10y. It makes no sense.

Ideally the default Halo 5 settings would be labelled as 3 x and 2-2.5 y rather than 1.5 x and 3 y.

EDIT: I suppose it's because the based the representation of the values around setting them to the same value being an easy way to get classic halo's ratio, but it is incredibly confusing to tweak around with. It would have been much less annoying to have an open field and then say something like "Classic Halo's ratio is 1.3x/y" or something like that. I hope this post isn't too confusing.

Slightly confusing But its 2.28am and i am severely drunk in a hotel while working away so its cool. Yes its confusing to mess around with or sure its why i was asking here i wanted to see what the more experienced guys said after they had chance to test it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dunno if you realise this or not but making the sensitivity values the same actually increases the difference in sensitivity. By default H5's vertical and horizontal sensitivities are very similar whereas in the older Halos this was not the case.

Here's a comparison between H5, H2 and H2A on the MCC, in these clips I'm just rotating the stick anti-clockwise:

H5 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491784

H2 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491741

H2A - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491868 (doesn't start until about half way through).

In these clips I'm flicking the stick left and right then up and down:

H5 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491563

H2 - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491864

H2A - http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Il%20MeanBean%20lI/video/17491676

In previous Halos the vertical sensitivity was far lower than the horizontal, in H5 they're very similar by default.

At 10% outer deadzone (default) the jump does feel like it happens at a lot closer to 50% stick deflection, maybe more like 75%. 15% outer deadzone feels pretty bad.

So a lower Y would mimic older games?

This is interesting because I just tried 1.5x/1.5y (4 accel) and it felt like 3 sens in older Halos to me ... but maybe this is placebo?  And in reality this should have set my x-axis to 'higher' sensitivity than my y-axis?

Ugh.  I feel like we're making very little headway with this.

Personally, my problem wasn't so much with the spike in sensitivity, but more with:

1.How awful it felt to make large diagonal changes, like shooting from Tower 2 down to BR on Rig.

2.How unresponsive it felt to make small corrections with my pistol at mid-close range.  It felt like the game was ignoring my inputs.  Putting my outer deadzone around 5-7 alleviated this for me a bit.

My testing last night was wasted because I was simultaneously trying to learn the Helljumper controls.  It didn't end well.  I've gone back to Bumper Jumper, and intend to test more tonight.

It would be nice if 343 provided clear data on how the x/y numbers compare to previous Halo games etc ... sigh

I used to play on 4 in the previous Halo games. In Halo 5 I've been playing on 6 and 2 Accelleration but with the new update 4-4 and 2 acceleration feels much better to me.

So a lower Y would mimic older games?

Yes, see my response to valaea below.

This is interesting because I just tried 1.5x/1.5y (4 accel) and it felt like 3 sens in older Halos to me ... but maybe this is placebo?  And in reality this should have set my x-axis to 'higher' sensitivity than my y-axis?

That's not placebo, 1.5x, 1.5y should mimic 3 sense for old Halo based off of what 343 have said and my quick tests.

To mimic a sensitivity from old Halo just set both values to half that sensitivity, so for 5 sense set it  to 2.5x, 2.5y etc. 

Ugh.  I feel like we're making very little headway with this.

Personally, my problem wasn't so much with the spike in sensitivity, but more with:

1.How awful it felt to make large diagonal changes, like shooting from Tower 2 down to BR on Rig.

2.How unresponsive it felt to make small corrections with my pistol at mid-close range.  It felt like the game was ignoring my inputs.  Putting my outer deadzone around 5-7 alleviated this for me a bit.

My testing last night was wasted because I was simultaneously trying to learn the Helljumper controls.  It didn't end well.  I've gone back to Bumper Jumper, and intend to test more tonight.

The outer deadzone setting shouldn't have had the effect you're describing... from what I can tell all it effects is when the jump to "turning speed" occurs. Ideally you want that as low as possible to make it more predictable, ie 0% so that turning speed happens at max stick deflection.

For me, closer to default actually feels better for making diagonal changes because the sensitivities are closer. Try upping the horizontal sensitivity slightly, made my close range aim a bit better and if you're careful it shouldn't effect your long range too much.

You definitely want the inner deadzone at 0% as well (unless you have stick drift), that'll make it feel more responsive.

• Upvote (+1) 3