Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

The Aim Settings Thread

Some of the pro players you mentioned have talked specifically about this issue. There is something wrong with the aiming that causes it to feel different from game to game. Is it the server? Who knows. But to discredit a ton of people mentioning they experience an issue just because you don't, doesn't really seem fair. Are you saying you've never experienced the aiming feeling different, or are you saying that you don't believe it's the server causing issues?

I'm just saying I've never experienced the aiming feeling different and inconsistent from game to game like others have. I think I'm around a 145-146 in H5 at the moment, so I've had plenty of time to play as well as watch. Not a single time can I ever recall noticing this issue. I would think I could notice it, too, because I'm not some bronze level player who struggles to use his thumbsticks. I've gotten champion in several playlists several times. I pay quite a bit of attention to my aim much more than most, but I just don't notice anything. And like I said, no one has ever actually explained it clearly. Yeah, pros might complain or talk about it, but I want more detail and explanation. I want to be able to see and experience it like they supposedly do. Until then, I'm skeptical. You bring up a good point, too: assuming the issue does exist, I think it would be important to differentiate if it's a server issue or something else.   

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=halo+5+aiming+issues&start=0

Nobody can explain it clearly because its inconsistent and we have little means of debugging the issue ourselves. However, there's such a significant amount of anecdotal evidence for its existence from the masses and reputable people (including some of the pros you listed) that its quite difficult to simply debunk as "headcasing". Its clearly a problem that stems from some aspect of the game, but we don't even know where to attribute it, whether its an issue with the servers or the dynamic resolution or a settings issue or if its an FPS problem or an issue with the way the game receives input or some mix of issues, ect.

What are your controller settings btw?

I don't put much trust in that anecdotal evidence. I'm not completely dismissing it, but I think you underestimate the amount of headcasing that goes on. I remember one specific instance where Unlegit/Eco was on stream messing around with his inner deadzone. He said something alone the lines, "I think 15% is more sensitive." So, having gone from 0% inner deadzone, Unlegit/Eco somehow found 15% inner deadzone to be more sensitive? If you already understand how the inner deadzone works, you'll know how odd and strange that sounds. He went from the most sensitive inner deadzone you could have to the most insensitive inner deadzone you could have, but then thought the insensitive deadzone was more sensitive. If a pro can headcase like this, then what do you think I think about players who are below diamond/platinum(no offense to them)?

I could compile a list from just this thread alone of multiple instances where people are headcasing:

"I think my aim is steadier at long-range with 1 acceleration instead of 2!" Acceleration doesn't matter at all unless you're pegging your stick or hit your outer deadzone, which is at least 85%. 

"The outer deadzone jump happens at 50-ish percent of your stick range."       

I could go on. Again, not trying to be a dick, but there's definitely some headcasing going on, and it makes me really doubtful of the anecdotal evidence there is for this issue. And the thing is: there's nothing but anecdotal evidence. It's hard to trust an argument based on that. Like I said to @My Namez BEAST I want to have a clear explanation of this issue, or at least something more legitimate to where I can't just dismiss what the person is doing as potential headcasing. Seeing as how I've never noticed this issue myself with all the time I've put into the game, it just makes it that much harder to believe people.

My controller settings are: 3.5 sens both horizontally and vertically, 2 acceleration, 12% inner deadzone, 10% outer deadzone, My goal with these settings was to mimic classic Halo settings. I'm not sure I've succeeded in doing so, however, because although I'm fairly certain that my horizontal sens is fast enough to mimic older Halos(between 3-4 sens is what I'm going for), I've heard from multiple people that the older Halos had the horizontal sens faster than the vertical sens. But at the same time, if you set your horizontal sens and vertical sens as the same, it already feels as though your horizontal sens is faster than your vertical sens. Regardless of what the case is, I've been playing on these settings so far and have been liking them. I still want to figure out the truth eventually though just because I'm curious.       

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

snip

I think your just getting lucky because my aim can randomly feel so heavy in one game to way to light in the other on the same settings. Everyone I play with all say the same thing aswell.

2.5/2.5/2

0% deadzones.

The aiming is really good at times, but others, it jumps all over the place.

Didn't the Xim guys break down the aiming? I remember a link posted in the H5GD about what the Xim guys found about the aiming.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2.5/2.5/2

0% deadzones.

Didn't the Xim guys break down the aiming? I remember a link posted in the H5GD about what the Xim guys found about the aiming.

I've been playing 2.5/2.5/2 as well. Very solid settings but I wonder if there's any way of making the aim faster horizontally without it feeling 'too fast', sometimes it's hard to kill someone who really knows how to thrust.

Been playing 5/2 recently and it feels great. I've always played on 5-7 sens throughout the halos though so I'm used to it. I definitely feel like I have an advantage in close range battles against players with lower sensitivities. I also use the start button trick several times throughout each game. It helps me whether its a placebo effect or not. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's definitely some headcasing but not even Halo 3 with its grid aiming saw this many complaints. It feels terrible, and the lack of reticle magnetism coupled with a fundamental change to the aiming as described by ghostayame just excascerbates the issues. An ADS pistol with a garbage scope makes it even worse.

The amount of problems PC players have pointed out just proves how broken it is too.

snip      

2.5/2.5/2

0% deadzones.

Yes they did: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=42461.0

That was before 343 introduced all the extra options that we have to customize it, but they clearly still have not fixed the underlying issue.  The xim guys didn't identify what can make it change from game to game though.

I rage at times because of this. Seriously I can be shooting perfect in 1 game then the very next game my aim is all over the place. There's just no consistency from one game to the next.

• Upvote (+1) 1

been playing 1.5/3.5/2 for awhile now, my sens has been screwed since launch. I played 4/3 southpaw and then the sticks switched back to normal through the Xbox accessories app, total tinfoil.

I've always had difficulty with my aim feeling very different between games, but after following this guide by Simms I've been having a lot more consistency and overall my gameplay has improved a lot I feel.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/14339-network-lagserver-kicksheavy-aim-etc-etc/page-1?do=findComment&comment=830075

It does make me wonder, however, if it would be possible to do the reverse of that guide and make your connection worse on purpose? I'd be interested to see if all the people that haven't experienced inconsistent aim between games can notice a difference if they test a good connection vs a bad one. I'm gonna mess around with it at the weekend when I have more time but I'd be interested to see if anyone has a go and notices anything worthwhile.

Has anyone else played around with using a controller on H5 Forge?  I've had plenty of experience over the years with PC fps, but I was having such a hard time getting a keyboard setup that gave me the same ease of use with all the abilities as I get on the controller.

Long story short, it felt fantastic.  I thought I was having frame issues, but the mouse input is so janky that it was making me think the game was stuttering, using the controller feels better on PC than it does on the xbone.  What's interesting is that it felt like it was 'giving me' less shots I would normally get, as in my snapshots had to be more precise, but my overall accuracy was higher than it normally is.  I was using my elite with inner deadzone set to 0, and it really felt more precise than it ever has.

Interestingly enough, the biggest difference I noticed was my horizontal sensitivity did not feel the same as it does on the bone, so I upped it 0.5.  Otherwise, the aim assist in all seems to be identical on the PC when using a controller.  

Also, a nice touch, all your Xbone controller settings will be in the Halo controller settings screen.  

One caveat, if you use the Xbox Accessories App to make custom button map switches, you're only going to be able to do so with an Elite on PC.  I've been back and forth lately on whether I really prefer my Elite to a standard controller, but I had to use the Elite last night for the button mappings, which works across the board on the Xbone.  

Has anyone else played around with using a controller on H5 Forge?  I've had plenty of experience over the years with PC fps, but I was having such a hard time getting a keyboard setup that gave me the same ease of use with all the abilities as I get on the controller.

Long story short, it felt fantastic.  I thought I was having frame issues, but the mouse input is so janky that it was making me think the game was stuttering, using the controller feels better on PC than it does on the xbone.  What's interesting is that it felt like it was 'giving me' less shots I would normally get, as in my snapshots had to be more precise, but my overall accuracy was higher than it normally is.  I was using my elite with inner deadzone set to 0, and it really felt more precise than it ever has.

Interestingly enough, the biggest difference I noticed was my horizontal sensitivity did not feel the same as it does on the bone, so I upped it 0.5.  Otherwise, the aim assist in all seems to be identical on the PC when using a controller.  

Also, a nice touch, all your Xbone controller settings will be in the Halo controller settings screen.  

One caveat, if you use the Xbox Accessories App to make custom button map switches, you're only going to be able to do so with an Elite on PC.  I've been back and forth lately on whether I really prefer my Elite to a standard controller, but I had to use the Elite last night for the button mappings, which works across the board on the Xbone.  

the day after it came out @@Royal2 came on here and said that playing Halo 5 on the PC with a controller is the best thing he has ever felt, or something along those lines lol.  This is the reason why i am trying to justify getting a new graphics card...

i'm on 3v 3h 3 acc. feels good until i lose my shit and go through another crisis

Hey this was me tonight! I played so badly and couldn't hit shots to literally save my life. As soon as an enemy jumped and thrusted I lost the fight no matter what. It was so bad I put my elite back in it's case and I don't know when I'll take it out to play again.

After seeing Rayne tweet his settings (1h, 5v, 5a), tried those out and settled on 1.5, 4.5, 5. Was 2.5,2.5, 2 before, and headshots seem a lot easier now, especially with Sniper.

After seeing Rayne tweet his settings (1h, 5v, 5a), tried those out and settled on 1.5, 4.5, 5. Was 2.5,2.5, 2 before, and headshots seem a lot easier now, especially with Sniper.

1h, 5v

Jesus Christ.

I've tried almost every possible sensitivity setting you can think of between using the accessories app for my elite and in game settings but nothing is consistent. Some of its affected by latency, but it honestly seems that a majority of the time that I have these issues, its against opponents that are either unranked or lower ranked then myself. Every. Single. Time. It's so bad it almost seems staged.

I'm sitting at 25-30ms but STILL can't get my reticle to go anywhere near my opponent let alone their head. This incredibly more frustrating than having lag/ghost bullets.

I've found much better consistency however with having a lower overall sensitivity for h/v/a. This helps a tiny bit when your reticle wants to abruptly snap away from your opponent into no mans land after you take out their shields.

Currently what's been working the best for me is 2/2/2, default for the sticks on my elite, and a stress ball nearby