Sign in to follow this  
Hard Way

The Aim Settings Thread

I figured we should have an easy place to find some suggestions for settings if you are one of the many people unhappy with Halo 5's default aiming.

I just got home from work and haven't had a chance to play around with the new settings yet, but I know others here have (@@Teapot, @@bunniesz23, @li meanbean il, @  

What settings most closely resemble aiming on 3 sensitivity in Halo 2/Halo 4 (imo the two games with the smoothest aiming)?

Should we be trying to match our horizontal/vertical?

Where should we put our aim acceleration?

Where should we put our outer deadzone?

Any help is appreciated.  Will edit OP after replies come in.

• Upvote (+1) 4

This is just my opinion but I believe that matching X and Y axis creates the most fluid aiming system that resembles the other shooters.

Deadzones can vary. Inner's good for stopping controller drift, and outers good for stopping slow turn. Someone suggested that using 1 acceleration and I think increasing the deadzones create a more fluid feeling, but I don't do this myself.

I've been playing 10x 10y and 5 acceleration. I guess I can say that I wouldn't really suggest this for others and it's a matter of preference in terms of the speed. The equal axis creates some smooth aiming though for me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I figured we should have an easy place to find some suggestions for settings if you are one of the many people unhappy with Halo 5's default aiming.

What settings most closely resemble aiming on 3 sensitivity in Halo 2/Halo 4 (imo the two games with the smoothest aiming)?

Any help is appreciated.  Will edit OP after replies come in.

Matching horizontal/vertical will be closer to older games, but due to the lower aim assist you should probably err on the slow side if you are taking this approach (2.5x 2.5y seems to be a popular option). Personally, I just took the sens I was playing on before (4) and lowered the vertical to the next round number (3), but my goal wasn't to replicate the older games.

Aim acceleration depends on which approach you are taking. If you are taking the OG route: Aim for a lower accel, either 1 or 2. This will have the positive side effect of making the "jump" in the acceleration curve less noticeable. If you are taking the other route: Play on the highest comfortable acceleration to help compensate for whatever turn-speed your current x-sens is lacking.

Deadzones: Use the smallest deadzones that your controller allows. 0 outer if you can get away with it without experiencing slow-turn, and 0 inner if you don't have noticeable drift.

I ended up with: 2x 3y 4accel and 0,0 deadzones. My teammate who went with the OG approach ended up on 2.5x 2.5y 1accel.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The issue is, they will never fix the sens curves. So they give us all these options and they only slightly cover up the bad aiming. Even with this update, you still feel the bad aim system underneath.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

The sens crisis is unreal. Whatever they did under the hood to make weapons feel heavy is the culprit as far as why it feels so odd compared to other Halos though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Crazy as this sounds I found having my horizontal sense lower than my vertical to be preferable. I've been playing 3.5 Vertical and 2.5 Horizontal. With 1 sense and 0,0 Deadzones.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Crazy as this sounds I found having my horizontal sense lower than my vertical to be preferable. I've been playing 3.5 Vertical and 2.5 Horizontal. With 1 sense and 0,0 Deadzones.

prior to the most recent update, I was playing on 4 sens/2 accel. When they added the further customization options, I also went to 3.5/2.5, as I wanted to speed up my horizontal a tiny bit, but didn't want to overdo my overall sensitivity, so I lowered the vertical by a half step.

I only got maybe 4 games in. It felt decent. Did you adapt to it well?

Also, to anyone, are a lot of people trying 2.5/2.5? What sensitivity would you compare it to? Also, I really can't decide between 1 and 2 acceleration. I felt 1 was too sluggish with the old options, but now that I've definitely sped up my horizontal sensitivity, would I be better off on 1 than 2?

Edit to add: I really, really love how 343 loves to fuck with my head the minute I get comfortable on the sticks.

The lower accel just doesn't feel right to me. Started with 2/2 4 accel last night, and it felt great. But then I saw some ppl suggest using 1/2 accel I tried that out with like 3/3 sens I think. It felt poopy.

Tried going back to 4 accel, and it felt a little weird after using the lower accel, but I think that's the sweet spot. Also, tried higher vertical sens than horizontal, but I think matching vertical and horizontal is the way to go.

0,0 deadzones because I'm pretty sure my controller is good, and I don't want even more things messing with my brain.  

2.5x/2.5y here with 1 accel. Prior to the update, I played on 4/2. Imo if you're using an x sens higher than 2 you should be using 1 or 2 accel. I started on 2 accel then tried 1 and my long range became a lot more stable.

2.5x/2.5y here with 1 accel. Prior to the update, I played on 4/2. Imo if you're using an x sens higher than 2 you should be using 1 or 2 accel. I started on 2 accel then tried 1 and my long range became a lot more stable.

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you so much!

even down to the range becoming more stable at 1 acceleration. Overall I've been all right with 2, but I noticed post-update that my longshots, especially in Warzone Assault, were a lot harder to hit.

Do you have any issues in close range? with 2.5/2.5 and only 1 acceleration?

Exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you so much!

even down to the range becoming more stable at 1 acceleration. Overall I've been all right with 2, but I noticed post-update that my longshots, especially in Warzone Assault, were a lot harder to hit.

Do you have any issues in close range? with 2.5/2.5 and only 1 acceleration?

I didn't have any issues, and I use my AR a lot. After a few hours, there was only once where if I had a higher accel I could have finished a pistol kill at about medium-close range. If you like shooting long range with the pistol/rifles try 1 accel, otherwise if you hold forward use 2.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I just got home from work and haven't had a chance to play around with the new settings yet, but I know others here have (@@Teapot, @@bunniesz23, @li meanbean il, @

Any help is appreciated. Will edit OP after replies come in.

0% outer deadzone and 1 aim accel has helped me tremendously. Combine that with allowing the same x and y values and the aiming feels better.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The best thing I can suggest is setting your outer deadzone to 0%. This means the sudden jump in acceleration which a number of people dislike will only happen when your stick is at max deflection.

Setting your aim acceleration to 1 will also decrease the rate at which the jump in acceleration increases so I recommend that as well.

Also from what the description in the settings page says and some very basic testing I've done it looks like the aim acceleration only affects the turning acceleration (ie: the acceleration after the jump) so fine aiming shouldn't be affected too much by setting aim acceleration to 1.

Also @@Hard Way, so close dude, it's iL meanbean Li. No one ever gets it right though, :p

• Upvote (+1) 1

3.5 Horizontal

2.5 Vertical

1 Acceleration

0% Outer

0% Inner

Seems to the most fluent to me. I tried matching them (3.5 Vert/ 3.5 Hori) but the vertical has a rather odd threshold and it feels.. Idk, too loose, so dropping it down 1 seems to have eased up the shakiness of the vertical sensitivity for me.

The best thing I can suggest is setting your outer deadzone to 0%. This means the sudden jump in acceleration which a number of people dislike will only happen when your stick is at max deflection.

Setting your aim acceleration to 1 will also decrease the rate at which the jump in acceleration increases so I recommend that as well.

Also from what the description in the settings page says and some very basic testing I've done it looks like the aim acceleration only affects the turning acceleration (ie: the acceleration after the jump) so fine aiming shouldn't be affected too much by setting aim acceleration to 1.

Also @@Hard Way, so close dude, it's iL meanbean Li. No one ever gets it right though, :p

The issue with 1 accel is that doing a 180 on low sens takes like thirty seconds ...

I've been playing on 2 sens / 4 accel lately (though what I've really wanted is something between 2 and 3 sens), switched to 2.5/1.5 and 4 accel for now.  Feels weird but we'll see.  Say what you will about H4 but that game (esp. on MCC) had the crispest aiming on earth, I'm basically just trying to match MCC H4 aiming

• Upvote (+1) 2

Uh, the jump happens at 50-ish percent of your stick range, so I don't see how that's possible. 

The issue with 1 accel is that doing a 180 on low sens takes like thirty seconds ...

I've been playing on 2 sens / 4 accel lately (though what I've really wanted is something between 2 and 3 sens), switched to 2.5/1.5 and 4 accel for now.  Feels weird but we'll see.  Say what you will about H4 but that game (esp. on MCC) had the crispest aiming on earth, I'm basically just trying to match MCC H4 aiming

Put the sensitivity up slightly and the aiming will feel a bit more snappy as well. I'm rocking 3.5x and 5.0y and it feels pretty damn good with 0% outer deadzone and 1 acceleration.

just started play with this last night but i set 2.5x, 2.5y, 2 accel and it felt goooood.  i think i might just mess with the accel for a bit and see how it goes.

I tried matching my horizontal sensitivity to my vertical on 3 sens. My reticle kept going all over the place, so I reverted to the old ratio. But I play on 5 accel, 15% outer, so maybe that's why. Whatever the case, I seem to have become much more accustomed to the crappy aiming than most people here have been able to, though I would still kill for an option to completely revert it to the beta.

Uh, the jump happens at 50-ish percent of your stick range, so I don't see how that's possible. 

I believe he thinks he's talking about the jump (really just the change in the acceleration curve), but I think he's just talking about the "turn speed" mode