Sign in to follow this  
giobernard

Why do pros play Bumper Jumper over Helljumper?

which in my opinion

Bingo

I play Halo 4 settings :/

I hate not being able to thrust while aiming without a scuf/elite. I may try thrust on RB and grenades on X.

That's what I did and it's worth the transition IMO. Gonna be a rough few days with those nades though.

Sounds like a bunch of Call of Duty mumbo jumbo if you ask me.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

have you tried it? It's actually quite easy.

Haven't actually, just assumed it was terrible.

Tbh I'll never use a control scheme that has zooming on LT. CoD style aiming should stay in CoD.

Haven't actually, just assumed it was terrible.

Tbh I'll never use a control scheme that has zooming on LT. CoD style aiming should stay in CoD.

It's not really "CoD-style" aiming just because CoD uses it. Almost any game with ADS will use LT, because it really makes sense.

To each his own, but assuming makes an... you get it.

Just consider this: from a physiological standpoint, LT makes way more sense than R3. If zoom is on R3, you quite literally have to significantly change the amount of pressure you're putting on R3, which will affect your aim. You will also lose a little control when the R3 goes into "press" mode. Also, to snap in/out of ADS, you have to click twice. On LT, you just press/release.

Obviously no one should have to change to any control scheme, but if anything, it'd make sense that you'd assume LT aiming is the opposite of terrible. It definitely took a few games to get used to, but in a game of inches, I don't see why you wouldn't want to be as effective as possible.

Most people balk at ADS on the LT because they've ALWAYS had it on R3. That doesn't make it better- it makes it what you're used to.

It's not really "CoD-style" aiming just because CoD uses it. Almost any game with ADS will use LT, because it really makes sense.

To each his own, but assuming makes an... you get it.

It's appropriateness depends on game mechanics and context. It makes sense for a military shooter where you're trying to somewhat emulate the movement and shooting patterns of real soldiers. Makes less sense in a run-and-gun arena shooter (though I'll concede that 343 is heavily chipping away at the run-and-gun aspect).

And sure I might be an ass (lol), but I it's not unreasonable to assume that holding down a stick click while also aiming with that same stick would be sub-optimal. In fact, I can't think of any other game that puts a "hold-to-use" function on one of the stick clicks; because of the awkwardness of the action most likely.

Just consider this: from a physiological standpoint, LT makes way more sense than R3. If zoom is on R3, you quite literally have to significantly change the amount of pressure you're putting on R3, which will affect your aim. You will also lose a little control when the R3 goes into "press" mode. Also, to snap in/out of ADS, you have to click twice. On LT, you just press/release.

How about intuitively? R3 makes sense because you have a look function mapped to the thumbstick that's also used to aim the camera. Zooming and aiming are in one place on the controller. Almost certainly why Bungie put it there in the first place.

But even from an optimization standpoint, I'd argue that clicking for a brief moment is much more efficient than holding during the entire duration of the aiming. The remapping grenades to a button that requires a thumb lift is also a major downside. BJ puts all your damage dealing implements and the movement action requiring the most precision on the triggers and bumpers, so you can keep aiming and moving while using these functions. That is the definition of optimized. Shapeshifting the zoom function into an ADS rip-off and making it hold-to-use is the opposite of that.

Obviously no one should have to change to any control scheme, but if anything, it'd make sense that you'd assume LT aiming is the opposite of terrible. It definitely took a few games to get used to, but in a game of inches, I don't see why you wouldn't want to be as effective as possible.

Most people balk at ADS on the LT because they've ALWAYS had it on R3. That doesn't make it better- it makes it what you're used to.

I've played my fair share of both styles of aiming, very familiar with both of them. I balk at it because it's a giant red-flag indication of what 343 wants Halo to be. A Halo game where zooming needs to be mapped to a trigger to play optimally is a Halo game I don't want to play. 

I know Ninja said he doesn't like Helljumper because he thinks it's akward jumping and aiming at the same time since they're both left side.

The remapping grenades to a button that requires a thumb lift is also a major downside.

You make decent points, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Helljumper grenades are on RB...?

You make decent points, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Helljumper grenades are on RB...?

Whoops, my mistake, melee is the one that's on a face button? The point was that it forces another function off the bumpers/triggers either way.

Whoops, my mistake, melee is the one that's on a face button? The point was that it forces another function off the bumpers/triggers either way.

no, melee is RS.

The only changes are:

Zoom: R3 => LT

Melee: RB => R3

Grenade: LT => RB

Your face buttons are literally the exact same.

To be clear, I'm not trying to change your mind anymore lol. Just clearing up any confusion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

SCUFs/Elites make your control layout obsolete in my opinion.Now I know not every pro has one but all it comes down to is personal preference.

The only ones who don't, claw.

My control scheme is super custom and i'm using an Elite controller.

Hell Jumper

RS -> RB

RB -> LP

A -> RS

X -> RP

B -> X

So I sprint with RS, jump with LB, melee with RB, throw nades with LP, thrust with RP.  The only time i have to take my thumb off the stick is to switch weapons or reload.  Once you get used to having jump and zoom on the same side, its not any more difficult, but i have auto stabilize on.  If i had if off, that fucks with things.

no, melee is RS.

The only changes are:

Zoom: R3 => LT

Melee: RB => R3

Grenade: LT => RB

Your face buttons are literally the exact same.

To be clear, I'm not trying to change your mind anymore lol. Just clearing up any confusion.

Thanks man, yeah I gotcha, this is just one of those topics that get's me going. When they announced the new default scheme was LT to zoom I was just like "oh fuck here we go, even the controls are the same as everyone else now." The way I see it, how a game controls is inevitably going to influence how it's designed. Zooming on LT indicated to me that in H5 zooming was going to be more important, maps would get bigger, more sprinting around to find combat, etc. So my pro BJ stance is half-preference, half-protest. It IS also nice being able to go back to the MCC and use the exact same controls.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks man, yeah I gotcha, this is just one of those topics that get's me going. When they announced the new default scheme was LT to zoom I was just like "oh fuck here we go, even the controls are the same as everyone else now." The way I see it, how a game controls is inevitably going to influence how it's designed. Zooming on LT indicated to me that in H5 zooming was going to be more important, maps would get bigger, more sprinting around to find combat, etc. So my pro BJ stance is half-preference, half-protest. It IS also nice being able to go back to the MCC and use the exact same controls.

Fair enough. I was so on the fence about H5 that I refused to buy it until it was out for a month. It looked fun as hell, and I wasn't disappointed:)

I'm glad I have an elite controller, so even when I play other titles, the controls are as I see fit!