EagleBurn

2016 Election Thread

If you can tell me what Privileges my skin color have given me, I'll leave this thread forever.

White privilege doesn't exist as a giant heap of positives just for being white; you still have to work for your money and you still get screwed over by the big guy upstairs. That's called classism and it exists regardless of race.

What you don't have to deal with is a giant heap of negatives. You don't get racially profiled. You don't look suspicious when walking down the street, or getting on an airplane, or crossing the border, etc. and your name of "Robert" or "Jessica" or what have you on your resume isn't passed over like "Tyrone" or "Felicia".

It means you don't have random obstacles, not that you get all these perks.

I'll wait but reply fast because the democrats and their policies keep destroying every single major American inner city.

lol this is silly

The "bootstraps" worldview is the most destructive to inner cities possible right now. That's not saying that the Democrats as a party are spearheading the best possible resolution to these problems (actually, as it were, there are no easy solutions to this issue), but the opposite viewpoint? Nah.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

White privilege doesn't exist as a giant heap of positives just for being white; you still have to work for your money and you still get screwed over by the big guy upstairs. That's called classism and it exists regardless of race.

What you don't have to deal with is a giant heap of negatives. You don't get racially profiled. You don't look suspicious when walking down the street, or getting on an airplane, or crossing the border, etc. and your name of "Robert" or "Jessica" or what have you on your resume isn't passed over like "Tyrone" or "Felicia".

It means you don't have random obstacles, not that you get all these perks.

lol this is silly

The "bootstraps" worldview is the most destructive to inner cities possible right now. That's not saying that the Democrats as a party are spearheading the best possible resolution to these problems (actually, as it were, there are no easy solutions to this issue), but the opposite viewpoint? Nah.

i blame the media for portraying ethnic people as criminals. Even whites that dress like street thugs, i guarantee you i look at them with a different eye... because practically every nonwhite collar criminal fits the same description all the time... so yes, i will get nervous when i see someone that looks shady. i dont care what race they are.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Have you ever worked in a position where you actively hire people? I have, and we always are looking for a "tyrone" or a "pablo" to fill quotas. If anything it helps them when we have to pass over a highly qualified "Robert". Thats just facts.

I'm not profiled? Every "young man" regardless of color is profiled. With good reason, our age group is associated with the most crime. 

So basically white privilege is not dealing with negative things. Awesome! I'm sure my 40k Student loan bill is a positive thing. I'm sure my high car insurance is a privilege. So I should be happy to be white, but I'm not allowed to be proud of my culture. Makes sense. 

Have you ever worked in a position where you actively hire people? I have, and we always are looking for a "tyrone" or a "pablo" to fill quotas. If anything it helps them when we have to pass over a highly qualified "Robert". Thats just facts.

Are you aware that quotas are illegal in public employers and universities? Sure you are, since you're obviously well-read enough on this topic to be participating in it.

So maybe, if you don't like the hiring practices of private institutions or businesses...you shouldn't work there.

I'm not profiled? Every "young man" regardless of color is profiled. With good reason, our age group is associated with the most crime.

Don't be fucking dense. Nobody has ever pulled you over for being white.

So basically white privilege is not dealing with negative things. Awesome! I'm sure my 40k Student loan bill is a positive thing. I'm sure my high car insurance is a privilege. So I should be happy to be white, but I'm not allowed to be proud of my culture. Makes sense.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to yet another edition of "What Did I Just Say", starring the TB Election Thread!

Previously:

"White privilege doesn't exist as a giant heap of positives just for being white; you still have to work for your money and you still get screwed over by the big guy upstairs. That's called classism and it exists regardless of race."

As far as being proud of your culture, where did that even come from? Who ever stopped a white person from celebrating their heritage, or do people get arrested in the streets on the night of St. Patrick's Day?

Are you aware that quotas are illegal in public employers and universities? Sure you are, since you're obviously well-read enough on this topic to be participating in it.

So maybe, if you don't like the hiring practices of private institutions or businesses...you shouldn't work there.

Gotta put food on the table bro. No one agrees 100% with all their employers policies. 

Don't be fucking dense. Nobody has ever pulled you over for being white.

Nope, I've been pulled over in Camden NJ at 1AM for being white. 

Profiling is based more on appearance and language spoken than skin color. Prejudice and profiling are instinctual characteristics that many animals use.

Elephants do this. They know which black tribe kills them and which doesn't just based on their language and the way they dress. The elephants aren't racist because both tribes are black, they are prejudice. It was an interesting study, I wish I could find a link to it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

White privilege is more abstract than white people having it easier than other races. People keep bringing up school loans and what not like it defeats white privilege in its entirety. White privilege is more about race and class combined. Lower class black people will have a harder time than lower class white people but a middle class black person will probably have an easier time than a Lower class white person. Aside from the school loans and what not look at the justice system. Anecdotal evidence here but I have a handful of friends who are generally good people who are going through the system right now. 2 white friend of mine are off of 4 months in DOC with 2 years probation, for the same offense my black friend is serving 5 years for. Keep in mind they all got busted together, for the same offense and one of my white friends even got an additional charge of evading police. Straight from the lawyers mouth he said it doesn't look that a black male from a poorer part of town was busted. Sho nuff he ends getting 5 years. I've been with him walking at 2am only to get stopped and questioned which never happens to me in my area. He's been pulled over and questioned about his car, how he got it, who paid for it, just a side of the road interrogation. Hes a smart black dude who was in school getting a degree with one thing on his record from high school for being in a fight. But that was enough to get him locked up when both my other homies had records and were scared they were going away for 15 years for selling dope but they get 4 months and probation. I'm happy they didn't get locked up for 15 but around here it's pretty easy to see that privilege with it happening constantly.. Maybe they get that college privilege because without it they'd never be able to go with all the other lack of privilege they get.. I dunno I'm just ranting and sharing what I've seen. Maybe it's different in more civilized parts of the country but in Oklahoma you're better off white 100% of the time.

Trump's favorite phrase of the moment appears to be, "that's something we're going to look into."

Dear god. Trump works for 343.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Fun facts about Blacks and crime.

• The evidence suggests that if there is police racial bias in arrests it is negligible. Victim and witness surveys show that police arrest violent criminals in close proportion to the rates at which criminals of different races commit violent crimes.
  • There are dramatic race differences in crime rates. Asians have the lowest rates, followed by whites, and then Hispanics. Blacks have notably high crime rates. This pattern holds true for virtually all crime categories and for virtually all age groups.
  • In 2013, a black was six times more likely than a non-black to commit murder, and 12 times more likely to murder someone of another race than to be murdered by someone of another race.
  • In 2013, of the approximately 660,000 crimes of interracial violence that involved blacks and whites, blacks were the perpetrators 85 percent of the time. This meant a black person was 27 times more likely to attack a white person than vice versa. A Hispanic was eight times more likely to attack a white person than vice versa.
  • In 2014 in New York City, a black was 31 times more likely than a white to be arrested for murder, and a Hispanic was 12.4 times more likely. For the crime of “shooting” — defined as firing a bullet that hits someone — a black was 98.4 times more likely than a white to be arrested, and a Hispanic was 23.6 times more likely.
  • If New York City were all white, the murder rate would drop by 91 percent, the robbery rate by 81 percent, and the shootings rate by 97 percent.
  • In an all-white Chicago, murder would decline 90 percent, rape by 81 percent, and robbery by 90 percent.
  • In 2015, a black person was 2.45 times more likely than a white person to be shot and killed by the police. A Hispanic person was 1.21 times more likely. These figures are well within what would be expected given race differences in crime rates and likelihood to resist arrest.
  • In 2015, police killings of blacks accounted for approximately 4 percent of homicides of blacks. Police killings of unarmed blacks accounted for approximately 0.6 percent of homicides of blacks. The overwhelming majority of black homicide victims (93 percent from 1980 to 2008) were killed by blacks.
  • Both violent and non-violent crime has been declining in the United States since a high in 1993. 2015 saw a disturbing rise in murder in major American cities that some observers associated with “depolicing” in response to intense media and public scrutiny of police activity.

http://www.colorofcrime.com/2016/03/the-color-of-crime-2016-revised-edition/

They are profiled because they are more likely to be criminals.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Trump's favorite phrase of the moment appears to be, "that's something we're going to look into."

:intel:

I think it would be more accurate to to say he fucking OWNS 343.

This guy nailed it IMO. My wife is a school teacher in the inner city. Most of her kids are being raised by their grandparents. She never sees the Dad, and the Mom's tend to treat behavior problems too lightly, or worse pretend they don't exist. It got so bad, that last year alone 10 teachers quit. The school system continuously blames the teachers for the children's poor performance. Without a family reinforcing behavior and studying, these kids don't stand a chance.

Also, the school board thought it would be a great idea to include special children within the normal classroom. So you have kids who can already write and read mixed with behavior problem kids that eat crowns and scream constantly. Its a fucking mess. I wouldn't want to be a teacher. Last year they cut TA help and continuously go over classroom limit sizes. Long story short, budget cuts to schools and lack of good parenting are the issues.

"Its easier to build strong children than to repair broken men". Frederick Douglass.

Yeah...no. Crooked Hillary would be worse for America than 343 has been for Halo. And that's pretty bad.

Lol @ color of crime being your source of information.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm just gonna drop this here...

A voluntary study of father contribution =/= what's actually happening. I read the article, found it unconvincing."Hey you want to fill out this article detailing how much you suck as a parent?" No thanks.

The census bureau paints a very different picture than this voluntary study.

A voluntary study of father contribution =/= what's actually happening. I read the article, found it unconvincing."Hey you want to fill out this article detailing how much you suck as a parent?" No thanks.

The census bureau paints a very different picture than this voluntary study.

So black people as a group just conspired to report things differently than whites, hispanics, etc.

Alright.

It's almost like it's based on poverty and not race, or something...