EagleBurn

2016 Election Thread

Isn't Hinduism the oldest at around 5,000 years BC? do you mean stories/fables by any chance?

Hinduism is the oldest surviving religion 

it wasn't the first

you are literally the worst debater / arguer I have ever seen on the interwebs.  

how old are you?  I'd wager around 14-16 yrs old.  

sorry i don't feel compelled to spend my precious time educating someone every time they request

who the fuck has time for that

there's this special thing called the internet where all the information you could ever want is located, you should check it out some time

• Upvote (+1) 5

Blindly following what an old book says = blindly following what an old scientist says

Nothing is fact.

Blindly following what an old book says = blindly following what an old scientist says

Nothing is fact.

I'm not sure if you're seriously this stupid or just trying to troll..

I am always right.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just stop. Nothing is true.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nothing is fact.

This is a great point.

Subjective and objective knowledge are often one and the same.

For a couple thousand years people believed the earth was flat. were they unintelligent? no. They were just subscribing to the thoughts of their times.

Clearly the earth is round.

clearly gravity keeps us on it

and clearly we are all evil thetons

but it makes us wonder, what false things do we take as fact and what do we really know? nothing

and that is why we should question everything

https://www.amazon.com/But-What-If-Were-Wrong/dp/0399184120

Nothing is fact.

There is a slight difference. Whereas with religion you have to believe, with science if you care enough, you CAN become a scientist and find all those answers for yourself. You can look through a telescope and see the stars.

Trump: "I will stop companies from shipping jobs overseas, and impose trade penalties on those who violate agreements!" 

Hmm, and here I thought being a businessman was Trump's marquee characteristic, yet he doesn't seem to understand the most basic precepts of macroeconomics. 

Nothing is fact.

That's... not how science works. At all.

Trump: "I will stop companies from shipping jobs overseas, and impose trade penalties on those who violate agreements!" 

Hmm, and here I thought being a businessman was Trump's marquee characteristic, yet he doesn't seem to understand the most basic precepts of macroeconomics. 

Many American jobs have been outsourced thanks to free trade laws passed by politicians who are bought and paid for by lobbyists and special interests. Trump wants to put a stop to that by bringing back tariffs. What is wrong with that?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Many American jobs have been outsourced thanks to free trade laws passed by politicians who are bought and paid for by lobbyists and special interests. Trump wants to put a stop to that by bringing back tariffs. What is wrong with that?

Because Americans don't want to pay for products made by Americans. 

Because Americans don't want to pay for products made by Americans. 

I just bought a great clothes washing machine built here in the US by Speed Queen. Many people actually prefer to buy products made in America. Huge corporations have paid off politicians to pass free trade laws so that the CEO's and other big wigs can make even millions more for themselves by taking advantage of cheap labor overseas, and leaving tons of Americans jobless as a result.

I just bought a great clothes washing machine built here in the US by Speed Queen. Many people actually prefer to buy products made in America. Huge corporations have paid off politicians to pass free trade laws so that the CEO's and other big wigs can make even millions more for themselves by taking advantage of cheap labor overseas, and leaving tons of Americans jobless as a result.

How many objects in your home (or your home itself) were built or assembled by American laborers, even partially made and not even dismissing things like foreign resource collection? I'm going to guess less than 5%. 

American workers will never, ever be the preferable option for the American consumer who is used to raiding Walmart shelves. If Donald Trump wants to experiment with total economic isolationism, then he can go ahead and try...and see how bad of an idea it is. 

How many objects in your home (or your home itself) were built or assembled by American laborers, even partially made and not even dismissing things like foreign resource collection? I'm going to guess less than 5%. 

American workers will never, ever be the preferable option for the American consumer who is used to raiding Walmart shelves. If Donald Trump wants to experiment with total economic isolationism, then he can go ahead and try...and see how bad of an idea it is. 

Trump isn't talking about "total" economic isolationism. If we let all manufacturing jobs go and don't produce anything, then how would that even be sustainable for a country? Sure, some things may always be made overseas, but we shouldn't allow all manufacturing to leave. Take for instance Carrier, an air conditioner maker who has always built there products here, has announced that they're moving production to Mexico(viral video on youtube). Well that company is making huge profits producing their goods here in the U.S. and want to outsource to Mexico only out of greed. How many other jobs have been lost to corporate greed? Probably millions. Hence why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Funny how politicians like Obama will pass free trade laws as job creators for Americans when they are the exact opposite.

Trump isn't talking about "total" economic isolationism. If we let all manufacturing jobs go and don't produce anything, then how would that even be sustainable for a country? Sure, some things may always be made overseas, but we shouldn't allow all manufacturing to leave. Take for instance Carrier, an air conditioner maker who has always built there products here, has announced that they're moving production to Mexico(viral video on youtube). Well that company is making huge profits producing their goods here in the U.S. and want to outsource to Mexico only out of greed. How many other jobs have been lost to corporate greed? Probably millions. Hence why the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Funny how politicians like Obama will pass free trade laws as job creators for Americans when they are the exact opposite.

Greed is not the problem. Cheap labor in other parts of the world is the problem, American expectations of a living standard are the problem. 

You cannot pay someone $20 an hour to work on an assembly line and expect to remain competitive. You cannot. You can't.

American consumer practices have otherwise proven that people don't care about craftsmanship in large swaths of production sectors. When was the last time you saw someone buy an actual WOODEN computer desk or entertainment center? My money is on "before particle board was even invented". 

they don't make things in america because people don't buy things made in america because they don't make things in america because people don't buy things made in america ...

made if they made things in america americans could afford to buy things because they would have jobs

• Upvote (+1) 1

they don't make things in america because people don't buy things made in america because they don't make things in america because people don't buy things made in america ...

made if they made things in america americans could afford to buy things because they would have jobs

But Americans wouldn't buy things made in America, because things made elsewhere would be cheaper. 

clearly the current system is working so lets not change anything

i also agree we should give our jobs to other countries because who needs jobs

• Upvote (+1) 1

Greed is not the problem. Cheap labor in other parts of the world is the problem, American expectations of a living standard are the problem. 

You cannot pay someone $20 an hour to work on an assembly line and expect to remain competitive. You cannot. You can't.

American consumer practices have otherwise proven that people don't care about craftsmanship in large swaths of production sectors. When was the last time you saw someone buy an actual WOODEN computer desk or entertainment center? My money is on "before particle board was even invented". 

American expectations of a living standard weren't the problem before free trade laws. Why should American's have a lower standard of living so that already rich millionaires can become even richer by outsourcing jobs? Free trade laws have wiped out the middle class. Now everyone is giving each other hand jobs with customer service jobs.

Not everyone is willing to accept cheap quality. My gaming stand is made of real wood and glass.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But Americans wouldn't buy things made in America, because things made elsewhere would be cheaper. 

But if proper tariffs were in place, American products could compete. Tariffs have been eliminated by politicians who have been bought and paid for by these huge corporations, enabling said huge corporations to outsource jobs overseas and make even more millions and billions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

She knows she's gonna lose Virginia. Desperate move. Also, lol at the lack of #DNCLeaks coverage in the media.

• Upvote (+1) 1

American expectations of a living standard weren't the problem before free trade laws. Why should American's have a lower standard of living so that already rich millionaires can become even richer by outsourcing jobs? Free trade laws have wiped out the middle class. Now everyone is giving each other hand jobs with customer service jobs.

Not everyone is willing to accept cheap quality. My gaming stand is made of real wood and glass.

Uh, the American standard of living was created during a time of very, very little manufacturing competition, especially in one particular industry that was globally unique. Technology has made manufacturing incredibly cheap and basic. America will never again have that kind of lucrative economy unless it manages to attain a stranglehold on some kind of brand new, globally in-demand, high-skill technology. Let's remember that America is a HUGE country, we cannot be a small nation of skilled laborers that exclusively export high-quality goods.

And maybe you'll shell out for real wood furniture, but nobody else will. And will you pay over $1,000 for a smart phone of no higher quality than you see today?

But if proper tariffs were in place, American products could compete. Tariffs have been eliminated by politicians who have been bought and paid for by these huge corporations, enabling said huge corporations to outsource jobs overseas and make even more millions and billions.

You literally think the cause of our service-sector economy is...tariffs?