EagleBurn

2016 Election Thread

The science vs religion is an age old arguement that's just a big headache of both sides. Let's not go there lol.

I find that when I and others around me are happiest, I am closer to God. The further from God I get, the more turmoil is in my life. So therefore, I trust that my God will bring me happiness. Also, the happiest families I've ever met were religious.

Based on those facts, it's enough of a foundation for me to base my morals.

No Christian is perfect, and most don't portray the "beliefs" that they lecture others about. I know this. The Bible says "For we all fall short of the glory of God," but the cool thing about God is the fact that if we ask for forgiveness and work to correct the problem as best as we can, it's all good. Clean slate.

I can't speak for other denominations, but I was raised to love everyone and accept people for who they are, regardless of their sin. I was taught to love others like my God loves me and I try (but don't always succeed) to do my best.

thanks for being a good christian and actually following the values unlike a lot of others

i'm glad religion helped make you happy and a better person

religion is a great thing and has done a lot to advance human civilization, don't ever let anyone tell you any different  

• Upvote (+1) 2

thanks for being a good christian and actually following the values unlike a lot of others

i'm glad religion helped make you happy and a better person

religion is a great thing and has done a lot to advance human civilization, don't ever let anyone tell you any different

nope

nope

i thought u were smart

religion played a major part is shaping human civilization, like it or not that's the reality

agriculture and religion bby boi, plz learn

Sure, aside from the centuries of stagnated scientific/social progress and war. It's not like religion is STILL used as a justification for rejecting reality, handicapping scientists, establishing unfounded moral absolutes to force on everyone else, all manner of discrimination, killing, etc. Some religion may be benign, but it has done very little to directly advance human civilization. Advancement happens in SPITE of bronze age superstition and occurs more quickly in the absence of the delusion that we understand how the universe works based on works of fiction. Religion is an anti-intellectual safety blanket at best.

Religion stops people from thinking- and keeps them working and reproducing, being contempt w the shitty nature of their existence. It tells them what to believe and how to live their lives - but we are just meaningless blips and nothing really matters. there is not god.

i thought u were smart

religion played a major part is shaping human civilization, like it or not that's the reality

agriculture and religion bby boi, plz learn

Lmao

Technology and progress shaped civilization, not a fairytale book written by sheep hearders.

Lmao

Technology and progress shaped civilization, not a fairytale book written by sheep hearders.

Yeah its not like the USA was founded and built up because of religion or anything. People didn't come here for religious freedom. 

Like for real, I'm more of a C&E Christian, but you atheists just sound silly. You're right, there is no God and religion didn't play any part in the advancement of society. You guys good? Alright, now don't mope around your parents basements all day, be happy. 

P.S. There is a God. His name is Tim Tebow. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

^ /edgy

you guys get too emotional about religion, it is what it is

it's not even arguable from a historical standpoint

progress shaped civilization

oh ok

No matter of your opinion, the facts are that religion is arguably the main factor that kept people in check according to the law when civilization wasn't advanced enough to uphold law through a police force. What you think of religion's role in modern times is a different subject.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I speak with the lord everyday.  I simply look at myself in the mirror and begin my conversation.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Religion is a double-edged sword. It has destroyed civilizations and made some better. Back in the day when we weren't as technically or mentally advanced as we are now, religion played a huge role in keeping people from killing each other. But it's the modern age and we know better. We know what makes up the stairs millions of miles away. We know about the universe far more than we did in the past.

I believe that if there was some being that shaped humanity, than it was a super intelligent form of Alien life that only intercedes with our evolution at certain points. And that's a big IF. In the end the idea that some heavenly being created the Earth in seven days is about as truthfull as the Earth being flat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah its not like the USA was founded and built up because of religion or anything. People didn't come here for religious freedom. 

Like for real, I'm more of a C&E Christian, but you atheists just sound silly. You're right, there is no God and religion didn't play any part in the advancement of society. You guys good? Alright, now don't mope around your parents basements all day, be happy. 

Top quality straw man, dude. And freedom of religion includes freedom FROM religion and, in particular, religious dogma. Despite the ubiquity of religious superstition at the time, the founders of the US had the foresight to make a secular government. Theocracies have never been a good idea, but I'm sure the massive uptick in social and scientific progress in the past couple hundred years as secular, democratic governments became more and more prevalent has no meaningful correlation at all.

And, to be clear, I don't have anything in particular against religious people. Plenty of good and even intelligent people believe silly things without any evidence and when it happens to serve as a justification for acting like a decent human being (not clear on why we need religion for this), that's fine. Much like I don't have anything against small children behaving well to avoid being on Santa's naughty list. I just happen to think religion is harmful and slowed our progress as a species for hundreds of years.

• Upvote (+1) 1

P.S. There is a God. His name is Tim Tebow. 

You don't like when people slap stereotypes on you but you're gladly dishing them out to others, classic. Just classic.

Anyway, please prove how great religion was in advancing society. Did religion build those skyscrapers? Did religion send a man to the moon? Did religion lengthen our lifespans dramatically?

As for America being built on religion please see:seperation of church and state.

But as @@arglactable said I don't hate against religious people, they have a right to believe what they want and I know where they're coming from since I labeled myself as Christian when I was much younger (always had my doubts and questioned it, however). But when you come to a political thread to debate politics (which stems from personal beliefs) then it will be challenged.

As for America being built on religion please see:seperation of church and state.

Ignoring the rest of your post, this statement is silly. America was largely built and influenced by Protestants.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyway, please prove how great religion was in advancing society. Did religion build those skyscrapers? Did religion send a man to the moon? Did religion lengthen our lifespans dramatically?

yeah let me get right on that lol

it's anthropology 101, you sound like a fool

especially when you say things like this,

not a fairytale book written by sheep hearders. 

you think of humans in the context of 2,000 years when you should be thinking of humans in the context of 200,000 years

you think of religion and instantly think Christianity, islam, etc

da fuck you know about prehistory man

Ignoring the rest of your post, this statement is silly. America was largely built and influenced by Protestants.

Too be fair USA was founded moreso upon Freedom than religion. Now the colonists came to North America because they wanted to be able to have religious freedom. But USA was founded upon the principles of not being forced to lose your rights (Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness). I wouldsay unfair taxation was the biggest reason why the founding fathers declared independence.

Just read @@arglactable's post, really no point in elaborating further when it's already there lol

Also, can you at least address paragraph 2 of my post? I at least know you made it that far  :kappa:

Too be fair USA was founded moreso upon Freedom than religion. Now the colonists came to North America because they wanted to be able to have religious freedom. But USA was founded upon the principles of not being forced to lose your rights (Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness). I wouldsay unfair taxation was the biggest reason why the founding fathers declared independence.

I'm not saying that freedom of religion wasn't a large factor, what I'm saying is that the Protestant ideals influenced how this country was made. Protestant ways is pretty much Capitalism with a large backbone of that religion being "you work hard, you get rewards". I'm not trying to say the US was solely built on religion just that the Protestants indirectly implemented their ideals into laws.

Just read @@arglactable's post, really no point in elaborating further when it's already there lol

Also, can you at least address paragraph 2 of my post? I at least know you made it that far  :kappa:

I quoted that one sentence because that's all I wanted to talk about. Just because I said "ignoring the rest" didn't mean I disagreed with it. What's the issue?

you think of humans in the context of 2,000 years when you should be thinking of humans in the context of 200,000 years

Isn't Hinduism the oldest at around 5,000 years BC? do you mean stories/fables by any chance?

Religions have been very progressive for societies at the time of creation. Now lack of belief in a God seems to benefit societies for the most part reasoning/critical thinking skills wise.

you are literally the worst debater / arguer I have ever seen on the interwebs.  

how old are you?  I'd wager around 14-16 yrs old.