Sign in to follow this  
Ptolemaios

Halo 2 Vista Multiplayer Back Online + FIXED - Project Cartographer

Tried to get this to work a couple months ago w no luck, but it seems the recent update fixed all of this. Major props to all involved as I can play some casual h2 after selling my xbox.

I would also love to see the spawns fixed to the og ones unlike mcc. That would truly make this the best place to continue playing h2.

this is my subjective opinion but i disagree that it plays better than mcc, there is something very off with how h2 vista feels as opposed to mcc version. 

this is my subjective opinion but i disagree that it plays better than mcc, there is something very off with how h2 vista feels as opposed to mcc version. 

In what way does it feel off? The FOV? The sound? The graphics? The animation? The aiming?

Question, so I had this working earlier but now none of the servers are showing up? Like before there were like 4 or 5 dedicated servers but even those aren't showing up anymore.

Edit: so they came up finally. weird. a bug maybe?

Question, so I had this working earlier but now none of the servers are showing up? Like before there were like 4 or 5 dedicated servers but even those aren't showing up anymore.

Edit: so they came up finally. weird. a bug maybe?

That happens every couple of weeks, the games are there, you just can't see them. This means that the master server needs to be restarted on our end. Usually someone will let us know through Discord and we'll fix the issue within the hour. 

Have you played recently? I've played both the MCC and Halo 2 Vista and I don't feel a significant difference between the two in terms of game mechanics. If anything, Halo 2 Vista has improved hit registration and not even half the bugs that MCC has. 

That happens every couple of weeks, the games are there, you just can't see them. This means that the master server needs to be restarted on our end. Usually someone will let us know through Discord and we'll fix the issue within the hour. 

Gotcha.

On another note, some idiot named 'wolf' is always in the most populated server blatantly hacking like it's 2006. Really wish there was a way to ban this guy, he's literally flying around with aimbot terrorizing everyone.

Gotcha.

On another note, some idiot named 'wolf' is always in the most populated server blatantly hacking like it's 2006. Really wish there was a way to ban this guy, he's literally flying around with aimbot terrorizing everyone.

We can actually ban players, if you see a hacker, come to our Discord channel (https://discordapp.com/invite/0TKY0SDEUHAWL4sG#discord, go to the halo_2 chat channel) and tell us his exact player name (caps, numbers ,etc.). Most likely there will be a server admin who will boot and/or ban them. With the next update we're going to make everyone register on our website so we can easily track the player population and quickly ban hackers. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Played this a little over the weekend. Haven't played H2A so this is my first time playing a Halo 2 in high definition. Lots of fun, looks and plays amazingly. Is there a way to hide the text in top left corner that shows the build date and the master connection status? Would prefer to keep my HUD in the corners and not have to use the HDTV setting that moves them in some.

Played this a little over the weekend. Haven't played H2A so this is my first time playing a Halo 2 in high definition. Lots of fun, looks and plays amazingly. Is there a way to hide the text in top left corner that shows the build date and the master connection status? Would prefer to keep my HUD in the corners and not have to use the HDTV setting that moves them in some.

Thank you for the positive feedback! Yes, there is a way to hide the watermark. Please follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo 2 (or wherever your Halo 2 is installed)

2. Open the xlive.ini file using Notepad (it's right under the xlive.dll file)

3. Change the "debug" and "debug log" values to 1

4. Save the changes 

Here's a progress update on the mod so far,
http://www.h2v.online/2016/06/12/progress-update-accounts-required-in-v0-2-1/

TL;DR version - Voice chat is going to be release in a revision very soon, kick/ban functions are also coming, gun-game has been doing exceptionally well and people have been playing it here and there.... map downloading most likely won't come in the next release but is still planned and being worked on, anti-cheat has started to be enabled, and the server list will be improved in this release.

Come the next release v0.2.1 accounts will be required to play in order to make way for the ranking systems and other things to track players accounts can be registered at http://www.cartographer.online

In other news we are looking at spawns to see what we can do about it as a suggestion by someone from here, we're also looking into the latency tracking and having it so servers can set a specific max latency.

Not only that but we've started integration of our own GUI in order to introduce in-game functions which allow you to enable or disable mouse acceleration or mess with FOV without needing an external app ("Mouse Thiny") these things among others are part of our journey into v0.3 BETA from where we are now 0.2 Alpha the next revision will be v0.2.1.

As time goes on we'll start integrating more and more including the custom resolution without the need for 3rd party hacks or solutions to make this a seamless as possible effort to play the game you want it to be played.

Some things left uncovered:
COOP?/Firefight?: We plan on working on it, it's just not in the cards for the road to v0.3.

Editing kit/New tools?: Again planned but not in the cards right now as it doesn't align with our current development goals, we'd love to introduce new tools and resolve some of the limitations and restrictions moders/map makers have.

HD Textures? MCC H2A Models?: There's multiple people who have approached the idea but there's nothing solid yet... it's highly possible and can be done but it's also not of priority for our team on the road to v0.3

• Upvote (+1) 2

Here's a progress update on the mod so far,

http://www.h2v.online/2016/06/12/progress-update-accounts-required-in-v0-2-1/

TL;DR version - Voice chat is going to be release in a revision very soon, kick/ban functions are also coming, gun-game has been doing exceptionally well and people have been playing it here and there.... map downloading most likely won't come in the next release but is still planned and being worked on, anti-cheat has started to be enabled, and the server list will be improved in this release.

Come the next release v0.2.1 accounts will be required to play in order to make way for the ranking systems and other things to track players accounts can be registered at http://www.cartographer.online

In other news we are looking at spawns to see what we can do about it as a suggestion by someone from here, we're also looking into the latency tracking and having it so servers can set a specific max latency.

Not only that but we've started integration of our own GUI in order to introduce in-game functions which allow you to enable or disable mouse acceleration or mess with FOV without needing an external app ("Mouse Thiny") these things among others are part of our journey into v0.3 BETA from where we are now 0.2 Alpha the next revision will be v0.2.1.

As time goes on we'll start integrating more and more including the custom resolution without the need for 3rd party hacks or solutions to make this a seamless as possible effort to play the game you want it to be played.

Some things left uncovered:

COOP?/Firefight?: We plan on working on it, it's just not in the cards for the road to v0.3.

Editing kit/New tools?: Again planned but not in the cards right now as it doesn't align with our current development goals, we'd love to introduce new tools and resolve some of the limitations and restrictions moders/map makers have.

HD Textures? MCC H2A Models?: There's multiple people who have approached the idea but there's nothing solid yet... it's highly possible and can be done but it's also not of priority for our team on the road to v0.3

Adding FoV and Mouse Acceleration in the GUI would be amazing additions. I can't wait.

As for COOP/Firefight, while I still hope you can fix H2Tool, I'm more hopeful you'll be able to convert existing campaign maps into Firefight maps since pathfinding is already generated/scripts aren't autobutchered.

Adding FoV and Mouse Acceleration in the GUI would be amazing additions. I can't wait.

As for COOP/Firefight, while I still hope you can fix H2Tool, I'm more hopeful you'll be able to convert existing campaign maps into Firefight maps since pathfinding is already generated/scripts aren't autobutchered.

The outcome will most likely be writing a pathfinding which isn't the original engines.... as in designing my own AI engine completely and just controlling the spawned bipeds with that engine in terms of movement it's my understanding that AI is already full well and capable of shooting at people.

I mean no one really knows that 'pathfinding' is what is lacking either this is just a guess/assumption by some of those who have attempted it... but we'll see how things go not to mention anything to do with scripts I can also integrate myself the way I do things goes way beyond the capabilities of H2Tool and the likes which seems to be a common misunderstanding from people who are used to those tools and why I have no real desire to fix them... The other thing is a lot of those people don't fully understand the engine at a code level either and simply have learned what they know by various trial and error it's really no way to approach attempting to mod a game in ways that weren't attempted and I can say most of the people who have been able to do what they have in Halo:CE fully well understood the engine before doing it, and the same goes for those who did what they did on Halo 2 Xbox.

For instance "OpenSauce" for CE does not improve or fix Halo:CE tools instead it gives new more powerful tools and resources which is my aim.

Regardless, I will most certainly not be converting 'existing' campaign maps into Firefight it introduces way more headache and problems then I care to deal with... I don't plan to deal with map file formats much at all or modding them I plan on doing things at an engine level similar tow hat OpenSauce offered.

FOV / Mouse Acceleration and other settings

It seems not everyone understood how Mouse Acceleration and FOV would work so let me explain deeper.

These will not be external tools which you set settings on before launching the game or anything like that, they will be fully integrated options which can be adjusted from within the game by bringing up a menu which we'll integrate with a specific hotkey.

A demo of us testing rendering of that UI framework with a demo setup can be seen here,

HAV7BW1.png

Essentially once you hit a hotkey you'll see windows like this pop-up and within them will be settings for FOV, Mouse Acceleration and etc (While you're playing and this is IN THE GAME) it's not an overlay outside of the game it's drawn on top of it like the GFWL guide was.

The major dis-advantage is that while this is open/rendering you will drop frames so it's not intended to be used while you're actually in a game/in-the action... but you can if you wish and it's an urgent change you need, while it's closed you will not notice any additional performance changes.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's all pretty awesome stuff. Another idea is maybe some sort of veto option on the servers so people can vote to skip gametypes in the lobby rather than hope another server has something better.

That's all pretty awesome stuff. Another idea is maybe some sort of veto option on the servers so people can vote to skip gametypes in the lobby rather than hope another server has something better.

We plan on that as well as vote kicking and such.

The outcome will most likely be writing a pathfinding which isn't the original engines.... as in designing my own AI engine completely and just controlling the spawned bipeds with that engine in terms of movement it's my understanding that AI is already full well and capable of shooting at people.

I mean no one really knows that 'pathfinding' is what is lacking either this is just a guess/assumption by some of those who have attempted it... but we'll see how things go not to mention anything to do with scripts I can also integrate myself the way I do things goes way beyond the capabilities of H2Tool and the likes which seems to be a common misunderstanding from people who are used to those tools and why I have no real desire to fix them... The other thing is a lot of those people don't fully understand the engine at a code level either and simply have learned what they know by various trial and error it's really no way to approach attempting to mod a game in ways that weren't attempted and I can say most of the people who have been able to do what they have in Halo:CE fully well understood the engine before doing it, and the same goes for those who did what they did on Halo 2 Xbox.

For instance "OpenSauce" for CE does not improve or fix Halo:CE tools instead it gives new more powerful tools and resources which is my aim.

Regardless, I will most certainly not be converting 'existing' campaign maps into Firefight it introduces way more headache and problems then I care to deal with... I don't plan to deal with map file formats much at all or modding them I plan on doing things at an engine level similar tow hat OpenSauce offered.

Ahh, well that is certainly is an interesting approach, and one that I won't pretend to fully understand as a mere mortal. And yes, AI aim correctly based on their tag values, and I presume they adhere to their style tags as well but they don't "move", so its difficult to tell. At least two other people have built their own AI in a similar fashion in CE, so I can only assume the same is possible in H2.

You're likely correct in what you're saying. I, for one, have very little background in programming/coding, and everything I've learned about the engine, in the brief time I've even bothered to mod Halo, I've learned through the provided "developer" tools, meta editors, analyzing map scripting, and as you said, trial and error, and no doubt many others have learned the engine the same way. 

The lag is caused from the number of Colombians playing on our servers. We plan to block them in the future. Also, if you're using the Halo 2 Fixer Upper, it shouldn't affect your controller's aim, but thank you for the feedback. 

Judging from your profile, I doubt that you represent "this audience" or even this community haha. 

Judging from the way you talk, you are lying about the average population and misleading people about the quality of the games. I can also tell that you are relatively new to the "repopulate legacy game by getting people on the net to pirate it" space. I remember when I was new to the  "repopulate x legacy game by getting people on the net to pirate it" space, how naive and well meaning I was back then.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Judging from the way you talk, you are lying about the average population and misleading people about the quality of the games. I can also tell that you are relatively new to the "repopulate legacy game by getting people on the net to pirate it" space. I remember when I was new to the  "repopulate x legacy game by getting people on the net to pirate it" space, how naive and well meaning I was back then.

How about don't derail the thread, and the hard work my team has put into development of the project.

We're working tirelessly on this thing and asking for nothing in return but for people to enjoy it.

P.S. a total of 101 people have signed up for the new version so far,

583f38619139759ee0d9d3f4d78a24c5.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're so braindead it's not even funny. First, if you think I'm lying about the population, why don't you go and fucking see for yourself? And what proof do you have? You already said you weren't going to download the game in your previous post so I'm assuming that a dumb fuck like you has no idea what he's talking about.

Second, how am I misleading people about the "quality"? Every feature that I listed on the original post works as written. There have been countless posts on this thread PROVING that this project has increased the quality of the game. 

Third, who the fuck are you? Everybody has shit on you on this forum, why are you EVEN HERE? You are the unwanted garbage of teambeyond that keeps coming back to spread his cancerous posts. I'm disgusted that I have to share this forum with filth like you. 

I get the following all of a sudden:

"Master Connection...this is taking a while. Make sure your firewall is not block" and no games appear.

...I haven't change my setup at all.

I get the following all of a sudden:

"Master Connection...this is taking a while. Make sure your firewall is not block" and no games appear.

...I haven't change my setup at all.

Go to your Halo 2 install directory (usually in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo2\)

Delete the xlive.dll and the xlive.ini files

Run h2launcher.exe and click Update.

After it has finished updating, click Play and see if the problem has been solved. 

If not, try turning off your firewall.

Wow. I saw a reddit thread about this some months ago and though it looked promising. You guys are really delivering. I am very impressed.

@@Ptolemaios @@PermaNull I've been working on a competitive H2 mod for a few weeks now. Would I be able to distribute this mod as a set of new maps? Or would this be considered cheating?

Wow. I saw a reddit thread about this some months ago and though it looked promising. You guys are really delivering. I am very impressed.

@@Ptolemaios @@PermaNull I've been working on a competitive H2 mod for a few weeks now. Would I be able to distribute this mod as a set of new maps? Or would this be considered cheating?

That's interesting, please describe this mod to us. The way custom maps work right now is that everybody in your game needs to manually download the map from the internet to be able to play. We are planning to enable automatic custom map downloading in the future. 

That's interesting, please describe this mod to us. The way custom maps work right now is that everybody in your game needs to manually download the map from the internet to be able to play. We are planning to enable automatic custom map downloading in the future. 

The mod, which I have a rough version of working on OG, is a bunch of tweaks to make the game play more like Halo 1.

Here are some of the changes I've already got working:

• BR is 3 shot kill
  • BR and Snipe use Projectile bullets instead of Hitscan, so you need to lead your shots
  • Bullet Magnetism reduced on nearly all weapons
  • Sniper No-Scope spread removed
  • No Dual Wielding
  • Grenades throw farther
  • Grenade blast radius increased
  • Frags don't explode when shot
  • Shotgun is buffed, but only holds 12 shots total
  • Needler is useful; shoots faster and projectiles go way faster. Can wreck kids who walk in straight lines
  • Plasma Pistol only can shoot 2 charged bolts
  • SMG is buffed. Behaves the same as the H1 AR
  • Rockets are buffed. Projectiles go faster, and do more damage. Same as H1.

And some stuff I'm still working on:

• Make Camo harder to see
  • Increase the time it takes to switch to BR
  • Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol have Stun like H1 (There are tags for this, but I haven't figured out how to enable it yet)
  • Quick Camo (Not sure if this is possible?)
  • Static Weapon and Powerup Spawns (Again, not sure if possible yet)
  • Power Weapon Timers (???)
  • H1 style Player Spawns (???)

On top of that, many per map changes. These are works in progress, and really depend on how people play with them:

Midship:

• Rockets spawn Bottom Mid
  • Camo spawns at Car 2
  • OS spawns at Pink 1
  • Shotgun spawns Top Mid
  • Needles spawn at Red/Blue 1
  • Plasma Rifles spawns Red/Blue 2

I've only been able to play against some relatively scrubby kids, but it seems to play pretty great. I'll learn more if I can get better players to play it with me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The mod, which I have a rough version of working on OG, is a bunch of tweaks to make the game play more like Halo 1.

Here are some of the changes I've already got working:

• BR is 3 shot kill
  • BR and Snipe use Projectile bullets instead of Hitscan, so you need to lead your shots
  • Bullet Magnetism reduced on nearly all weapons
  • Sniper No-Scope spread removed
  • No Dual Wielding
  • Grenades throw farther
  • Grenade blast radius increased
  • Frags don't explode when shot
  • Shotgun is buffed, but only holds 12 shots total
  • Needler is useful; shoots faster and projectiles go way faster. Can wreck kids who walk in straight lines
  • Plasma Pistol only can shoot 2 charged bolts
  • SMG is buffed. Behaves the same as the H1 AR
  • Rockets are buffed. Projectiles go faster, and do more damage. Same as H1.

And some stuff I'm still working on:

• Make Camo harder to see
  • Increase the time it takes to switch to BR
  • Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol have Stun like H1 (There are tags for this, but I haven't figured out how to enable it yet)
  • Quick Camo (Not sure if this is possible?)
  • Static Weapon and Powerup Spawns (Again, not sure if possible yet)
  • Power Weapon Timers (???)
  • H1 style Player Spawns (???)

On top of that, many per map changes. These are works in progress, and really depend on how people play with them:

Midship:

• Rockets spawn Bottom Mid
  • Camo spawns at Car 2
  • OS spawns at Pink 1
  • Shotgun spawns Top Mid
  • Needles spawn at Red/Blue 1
  • Plasma Rifles spawns Red/Blue 2

I've only been able to play against some relatively scrubby kids, but it seems to play pretty great. I'll learn more if I can get better players to play it with me.

With the extended options we'll be putting into the mod itself you'll be able to integrate these dynamically via a game type rather then requiring a actual map modification we can poke it into memory at specific points in time based on settings/script files that wil belong to the mod.

Sort of the same way that we're able to dynamically introduce gungame when a specific game type is loaded or how zombies will be, this won't be until a future version past v0.2.1 but it will come and we'll release various guides on how it works.

• Upvote (+1) 2

With the extended options we'll be putting into the mod itself you'll be able to integrate these dynamically via a game type rather then requiring a actual map modification we can poke it into memory at specific points in time based on settings/script files that wil belong to the mod.

Sort of the same way that we're able to dynamically introduce gungame when a specific game type is loaded or how zombies will be, this won't be until a future version past v0.2.1 but it will come and we'll release various guides on how it works.

This is amazing! Thanks!!

I really wish I was more familiar with c++ so I could help out in whatever way I could.