iWatty

Top 10 Halo Players of All Time

I penalize Walshy for falling off heavily starting in Halo 3. He only had event wins in two titles 

Halo 1 + Halo 2 + Halo 3 = two titles  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 2

You don't rank people on what they might've done, bro.

Otherwise Eric Lindros would be the greatest hockey player of all time.

That's fair enough but I think they're top 10 players for what they did in Reach/H2A/H5 (and end of H3 for Snakebite). I just dont like the ethos of X player didnt win tourneys in CE/2 and so shouldnt be compared, skillwise, to those who did when they werent even competing. If LethuL and Snakebite played in CE and couldnt prove themselves as top 16 2v2 team and in H2 couldnt prove themselves as a top 32 4v4 team and then went on to have success in Reach/H2A/H5 I'd understand the argument as they couldnt compete with the best in the games with the highest skill gap and population. But how can this be an argument when they didnt get the chance to compete then? Surely your logic works both ways? 

• Downvote (-1) 1

That's fair enough but I think they're top 10 players for what they did in Reach/H2A/H5 (and end of H3 for Snakebite). I just dont like the ethos of X player didnt win tourneys in CE/2 and so shouldnt be compared, skillwise, to those who did when they werent even competing. If LethuL and Snakebite played in CE and couldnt prove themselves as top 16 2v2 team and in H2 couldnt prove themselves as a top 32 4v4 team and then went on to have success in Reach/H2A/H5 I'd understand the argument as they couldnt compete with the best in the games with the highest skill gap and population. But how can this be an argument when they didnt get the chance to compete then? Surely your logic works both ways? 

There are plenty of players who have not cut it in certain games. Look at SK and Hysteria in Halo 2, they were middling players the whole time, until H3 came around and suddenly they were unholy good. Similarly, Karma and Walshy fell off in H3 and only managed to get back to the finals once for each of them.

Pistola is an example of a player who didn't compete in H1 because he was too young and didn't make it in H2 4s because he couldn't land a team, but both has the stats and passes the eye test of someone who deserves to be in the top 10 regardless.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If some of you aren't buried with halo 1 gravestones I'll be very surprised

Do you blame them?

I never really played HCE MP until the MCC and it didn't take long to realise that it's the best Halo MP game.

If new age halo pros don't like being overshadowed by older halo games/players maybe you guys should start advocating for a more skill based game instead of praising radar, ridiculous autos, underpowered utility weapon's etc.

• Upvote (+1) 9

No one asked but here's my list.

Ogre2

Walshy

Ogre1

Saiyan

Roy

Snipedown

Tsquared

Lunchbox

Pistola

Zyos

I considered all the games equally so Snipedown is only really there because of the AGL days of H4, Heinz almost made it too because of those. If I take those out I'd replace Snipedown with Lethul maybe (WAT).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you blame them?

I never really played HCE MP until the MCC and it didn't take long to realise that it's the best Halo MP game.

If new age halo pros don't like being overshadowed by older halo games/players maybe you guys should start advocating for a more skill based game instead of praising radar, ridiculous autos, underpowered utility weapon's etc.

Never change.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

No one asked but here's my list.

Ogre2

Walshy

Ogre1

Saiyan

Roy

Snipedown

Tsquared

Lunchbox

Pistola

Zyos

I considered all the games equally so Snipedown is only really there because of the AGL days of H4, Heinz almost made it too because of those. If I take those out I'd replace Snipedown with Lethul maybe (WAT).

What about all Snipedowns success outside of Halo 4? Is that irrelevant?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What about all Snipedowns success outside of Halo 4? Is that irrelevant?

It's not irrelevant, honestly he'd probably stay on the list but including his 5 AGL wins (and that 1 UMG H4 win) really secured his spot.

Do you blame them?

Preach it.

We will never get what we want if we keep settling for diarrhea.

We need to build up the H1 and h2 LAN communities like smash players did. I admire them for their perseverance. Their original competitive player base was a fraction of halo's so there's no reason it can't be done except for lack of effort.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's tough too when the games change so much throughout the series. I'm sure a lot of the current pros could come to H2 or H3 and become great players in a fairly quick amount of time. However nothing in the series past Halo CE, actually prepares you to play CE competitively which we've a couple examples of already. If the games didn't vary so much fundamentally I think I'd be able to see Reach or Halo 4 as being equally important, but I just can't.

It's not really just the fact that it's the first game in the series either. I mean competitively people praise Quake 3, and rightfully so over the first Quake.

I don't know much about reach because I disliked it so much, but if I had to make some sort of list for Reach and onward I think that would include all the names we currently see. Snipedown, Lethul, Snakebite, Royal 2, APG, Heinz, Roy, Lunch, Pistola, Naded etc. I think theres too many to name. Some of those names are just right outside my top 10 when including all games though. Naded, Snipedown, Roy, Lunch have had long careers with a lot of success. Victory X, Hysteria, APG and Heinz too, although Heinz and APG played Halo 2 they really became top players during H3.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Teapot, check out some VOD of Columbus 2012. Reach is like that ugly nerdy chick that got a makeover and became super hot, but it happened in college and only a few of the guys she went to high school with know how hot she really is.

When people bag on Reach, I can't help but wonder if they played v7.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Teapot, check out some VOD of Columbus 2012. Reach is like that ugly nerdy chick that got a makeover and became super hot, but it happened in college and only a few of the guys she went to high school with know how hot she really is.

To be fair, thats kinda the point. Reach was the worst Halo game until it got a makeover for a niche audience. Was V7 good? Hell yeah. But nobody knows or cares about it.

We need a Halo to do that off the bat so people can really experience a competitive Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

all stock maps were still poop, jumping sucked, snipe was annoyingly easy compared the prev gen h3, and the movement in v7 shattered all previous iterations of what defined ice skates, and the camo sucked (tho doju's modded camo is decent, it's still not h3's or as useful as h1's). But yeah, who knew giving us a starting weapon that shot straight drastically improved the game? Oh, ppl been saying that since 2004. h2 prepatch was an abomination, not as much as default reach, but damn pretty close. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol, that's a good analogy.

V7 was much better than launch but I still didn't like it much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. ogre 2

2. ogre 1

3. pistola

4. roy

5. naded

6. lunchbox

7. legit

8. snipedown

9. shockwave

10. fearitself

this is just my personal opinion and 99.9% based on halo 2 and 3 when i played

here is my list just from halo 2 

1. ogre 2 (i didnt play halo 1 and i know it was even worse back then but i literally did not even understand how he was so good, in 2007 he could have been number 1 2 and 3. some of his tournament matches in the later stages of the bracket looked like he was searching team hard core on a smurf account from an individual perspective)

2. naded

3. ogre 1 (i think he stopped caring in 2007, he was probably the best in 05 and early 06. in halo 3 im pretty sure he was in australia for like the first 6 mo of the game and barely played and still was crazy good some how)

4. strongside

5. shockwave

6. legit

7. gandhi (maybe was the best player for some time in 2006, if you played him on sanctuary he would just sit in the rocks and his carbine and shut down the entire other team by himself. it didnt matter if you unzoomed him he would at least drop your shields 90% of the time)

8. ghostayame

9. karma

10. lunchbox (he was better than roy at halo 2 imo)

honorable mentions. (ppls that i thought were amazing at h2 but underrated overall)

soviet 

pow wow (also amazing and underrated)

dysphoria

defy in 2005 and 2006

dirt migirt

bonfire

hulk z

cloud

d fury

snipedown (even tho he was purely online in h2 he was still incredible)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Look at SK and Hysteria in Halo 2, they were middling players the whole time, until H3 came around and suddenly they were unholy good. 

i think SK was a lot better at halo 2 actually, hysteria was also really really good at h2 but teams were really really averse to picking up unproven players until snipedown happened in h3

i think if people thought about picking up players the way they did in halo 3, in halo 2, snipedown hysteria and pistola would have been on top 4 teams.. hypothetically

plasma rifle isnt op....it would fkn melt shields but once shields were down you were basically fked if you tried to use it to finish a kill of because it was so useless on health

so the fact it completely freezes you just like the plasma pistol but with a higher kill time doesnt make it a great auto to use just like the ar or smg in h5? (the relevance of my statement)

People have the preconceived notion that Halo 1 and 2 counts for more than subsequent releases. It makes no sense considering the level of competition sky rocketed from Halo 3 on. 

anything past halo 3 should be valued minimally for the simple fact that it was essentially just all the people that kept playing that increased the level of competition within a small group of 20 or 30 players..

• Upvote (+1) 2

so the fact it completely freezes you just like the plasma pistol but with a higher kill time doesnt make it a great auto to use just like the ar or smg in h5? (the relevance of my statement)

No because you can get 3 shot pretty quick in that game

Good luck in h5

• Upvote (+1) 3

all stock maps were still poop, jumping sucked, snipe was annoyingly easy compared the prev gen h3, and the movement in v7 shattered all previous iterations of what defined ice skates, and the camo sucked (tho doju's modded camo is decent, it's still not h3's or as useful as h1's). But yeah, who knew giving us a starting weapon that shot straight drastically improved the game? Oh, ppl been saying that since 2004. h2 prepatch was an abomination, not as much as default reach, but damn pretty close. 

Oh it still had it's faults for sure, but I freaking loved it.  Zealot and Countdown Flag were both a blast.  I think Powerhouse was a great map and would have played KotH fantastic if we just would have used it.  But yeah, the other disc maps were crap.  

I had no issues with the jumping.  Yeah you couldn't jump as high, but the maps were based around the jump height so I didn't really care. It just meant some of the jumps were a little harder, which I also didn't mind. 

The sniper did have a generous hitbox for the head, but it was still a better sniper than H2's imo, with it's ridiculous sweep sniping garbage.  And knowing what would come later, it doesn't even seem that bad now! lol.

I personally didn't have an issue with the movement in v7.  I know I still strafed plenty of people and had plenty of people put a sick strafe on me.  I can understand if it felt uncomfortable for others, but I just didn't feel it.

Still better than H2's camo.

It's one of the best starting weapons we've ever had in 4v4.  It had honest to God static spawn times for power weapons.  The maps, while grey, were a lot of fun to play on (especially the Beaver Creek remake, who knew that map could play KotH so well?).  It had one of the best netcodes in the series. It had the grenade launcher. It did a lot of things right that we ask for constantly, and it had very very little of the bullshit that we hate about so many of the games in this series.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

It is a great auto to use.  One of my favorite weapons in the series, actually.  But it's not like the autos in H5.  For one, the thing actually takes some talent to use.  If you use it from the front, theres a very real chance you can get 3'd before you can circle strafe to their side.  Secondly, a lot of times the victim can break stun lock for long enough to turn in place and keep shooting if they crouch.  You can also screw up the timing of their melee by crouching.  I've seen people choke the melee because of that before.  And lastly, if theres more than one enemy nearby, you'll be lucky to even get one kill before dying with it, because you usually need to finish with a melee.  

There's so much more nuance and skill to the H1 PR than the high-damage bullet hoses in H5.  The only auto in H5 that requires any thought at all is the Suppressor.

1. Pistola.

2. Snipedown.

3. Walshy

4. Roy

5. T2

6. Ogre2

7. Royal 2

8. Lunchbox

9. Lethul

10. Zyos (for the nostalgia)

• Downvote (-1) 6

1. Pistola.

2. Snipedown.

3. Walshy

4. Roy

5. T2

6. Ogre2

7. Royal 2

8. Lunchbox

9. Lethul

10. Zyos (for the nostalgia)

I'm dying to know what Ogre 2 did to fall to 6th in your mind.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i think SK was a lot better at halo 2 actually, hysteria was also really really good at h2 but teams were really really averse to picking up unproven players until snipedown happened in h3

i think if people thought about picking up players the way they did in halo 3, in halo 2, snipedown hysteria and pistola would have been on top 4 teams.. hypothetically

Well if I remember correctly, SK teamed with Neighbor on Triggers Down who also didn't show to be that good at H2, or at least not nearly as good as he was in H3. 

People say Snipedown was around in H2 but I don't remember that.