iWatty

Top 10 Halo Players of All Time

nothing wrong with praising our lord and savior

Need a Meme Lord to make it.

There are exactly 2 recordings on youtube which contain a complete game of you and your bro playing halo 1 2v2, please fix this thx.

links please?  

only game we lost in tournament was a 2v2 bc ctf game from red base to some cali guys black 3lk and i dont remember the other guy

oh damn, need to update my top 10.

black 3lk, i dont remember the other guy, ogres, walshy, roybox, ola, snipedown, karma.   :kappa:

links please?  

Here is one. Atlanta 2004.

• Upvote (+1) 5

the xbc iceskating days. i actually miss em now lol. funny how nostalgia works. that tournament gameplay is also the closest the ogres ever came to losing if im not mistaken. i remember the night of it happening - my buddies at a LAN were all getting calls from people in the crowd at MLG lol god im fucking old

I had him in there, posted the list, then realized I had 11.  I was sitting there looking at t2, karma, and shockwave and did not want to take any of them out.  I feel very confident in a top 5 being ogres, roybox, and walshy, with ola and snipedown at 6 and 7.  After that I just go around in circles arguing different combinations.  

I have the same type of arguments in my head all the time when I'm making these lists.  Lol

@@BlackShadow, I finally had some time to sit down, think about it, and make a real top 20.  Here's the criteria I felt was most important, and what I used for my list:

Success across several games

Being on a dynasty/God Squad

Individual accomplishments (FFA/1v1 Wins, Pro Choice Awards)

Tournament Wins

At any point being considered the best in the game

The state of competitive Halo at the time (Depth of competitive field X Prestige of the game itself)

So here's my top 20:

1. Ogre 2

2. Snipedown

3. Pistola

4. Roy

5. Lunchbox

6. Walshy

7. Ogre 1

8. Lethul

9. Karma

10. T Squared

————

11. Strongside

12. Legit

13. Saiyan

14. Ghandi

15. Shockwave

16. Elamite Warrior

17. Neighbor

18. Victory X

19. FearItSelf

20. Zyos

I thought hard about putting more H1 Gods like Patch and Legend on there, but they represent such a small portion of the history of Halo, and the depth of the competitive field in Halo 1 is probably the smallest of the series.  More recent dominant players like Snakebite and Royal 2 nearly made the list as well just because they've been clearly on another level above their peers dating back to late Reach, which like it or not, is a long time now to be near the top of the competitive scene.  I ultimately decided against them because Reach, H4 and MCC had such low prestige and depth of field, and it's too early to tell with Halo 5.  I can say that if they keep on this track and Halo 5 continues to improve as a game, they will definitely be making my list in a couple years.

With stuff like this, I think it's important to consider the entire spectrum of competitive Halo, and then prioritize accordingly.

Well...at least we agree on who should be in the top 20.  Although I have so many problems with your order.  I don't think I wanna write that much right now.  I'm glad you made a thoughtful list

Without going into an insane amount of thought.  TBH I didn't follow Halo during Reach/4/MCC,.

Ogre1

Ogre2

Walshy

Zyos

Saiyan

Darkman

Snip3down

Pistola

Lethul

(Insert random EG/CLG name here)

Honorable mention:

Nistic- Didn't necessarily like him, but he was good, and good at other games other than Halo.

Carbon members- Shockwave, Ghandi, Karma..  They took down the Dynasty when no-one else could.

This kind of used to be my old list.  Except Darkman has no place there.  That's pure nostalgia from you.  Top 50 guy, not top 10 caliber.  

though.

With each game weighted evenly, yes.

How!?  How could you possibly weigh each game evenly?  That makes no sense.

Would you really weigh halo 4 evenly, though? Even if we don't want to talk about the easiness of that game, so many top players either didn't compete at all or didn't come back until the end of the game.

This guy gets it.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I can't consider a game with radar and extremely powerful autos in your back pocket to be even with h1, h2, and h3 at least.

The people have spoken.

Halo 1 top 10 list without saiyan=instanly irrelevant

Debatable, but I'm inclined to agree.

@@Pkmn_Mstr_Kyle

Absolutely, hence the Kappa face.

I would have a real tough time making a serious list. The OP is kinda vague though, so the criteria is going to vary from list to list. I can make a list of the top 10 most important or influential players, but if I was to factor in placings and stuff it would be difficult. Theres definitely some nostalgia involved here, but since I'm going off of influential players I kinda feel that the people who paved the way had more weight in their actions.

1. Orge 2
  2. Walshy
  3. T2
  4. Ogre 1
  5. Zyos
  6. Strongside
  7. Gandhi
  8. Karma
  9. Shockwav3
  10. Pistola

This is a mix of player skill, individual talent, some placings, but most importantly influence, which is something that is really hard to factor in without being biased.

Despite how dominant Ogre 1 was, Ogre 2 gets the top spot because of his prolonged time as the reigning goat. The reason Ogre 1 gets placed beneath Walshy and T2 is because of the influence they had throughout their eras, as well as continued into today. They both had influence in major and minor ways. MTV's true life, Walshy sponsored by redbull, T2 on the Dr Pepper bottles etc. That's also why I have Strongside and Gandhi on that list because of their notoriety in their era, as well as the fact that they continued through casting/analyzing etc. 

Zyo's might be a bit of a nostalgic one, but he was the king before the Ogres. He helped shape competitive Halo from the primordial soup known as Combat Evolved. A lot of various tips/tricks can be attributed to other players, but it was Zyos that continued to push the meta of 1v1s through his competitive background. He represented the US in the world cyber games, he had pushed team communication and set ups to a higher level. Hell, his presence alone made others have to step up competitively and fast. Plus, his mind games back then were.. interesting. He would offer his opponent the ability to split the prize pool and give them a bit more money if they lost. I forget his reasoning but it was meant to demoralize his opponent.

Strongside Gandhi and Shockwav3 get their spots because of their time playing as well as casting. The one spot I'd question on my own list is Karma who is purely a player. However his 2006 dominance was unbelievable and he was still a beast in 2007. I think he has an interesting legacy and a positive message when he was in the spotlight. Lastly, I give it up to Pistola because he was incredibly dominant as well once he emerged. It didn't take a lot of time for him to reach the top compared to a lot of other players, plus his FFA win out of nowhere in 2007.

If I had to go off of player skill and tournament placings, this list would definitely be different.

Pistola actually won two FFA events in 2007.

in that case 

ogres

walshy

roybox

snipedown

pistola

legit

lethul

in h1 we spawned with the ar for a primary, plasma rifle was op af and there was a radar with a much larger range

The AR is actually a good weapon in H1.  You use it for a lot of stuff.  And the plasma rifle isn't OP at all, what are you talking about?  Lol

Yes, but the pistol was considerably more powerful compared to the AR than in halo 5. The radar was unfortunate, but there are a number of other things in h1 to compensate for that and make it more skillful than H5

This guy is a smart man.

uhh false.  not sure where you got dis info

Please give us your top 10/20 so we can put this thread to rest.

People put CE up on a pedestal because it took the most skill and try to revolve their list around that fact. But here's another fact most people don't take into consideration. A lot of players that have made big names for themselves since CE weren't around when CE was the main game to play. And so their names don't get thrown into the mix. It's not their fault that they weren't hear to play then. And we can't know if they would have been top players if they were able to compete then. We should stop making our Top players list around an era that not all players could compete in.

Dude, just stop.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The AR is actually a good weapon in H1.  You use it for a lot of stuff.  And the plasma rifle isn't OP at all, what are you talking about?  Lol

i feel as though u missed something 

I wish someone continued to throw H1 tourneys over the years though, or at least kept the grassroots scene a strong as possible. We could have had a situation similar to the Smash Bros scene with Melee and 4. I would love to see current day semi high stakes H1 tournaments. Halo became overly dependent on MLG imo. 

Also, it must be awesome being 2gre and reading this thread seeing his name at the top of basically every list. Must be a good feeling. 

I've had these same exact thoughts for many years.  Halo lost it's pure Grassroots scene like what the FGC has.

1. Ogre2
  2. Walshy
  3. Ogre1
  4. TSquared
  5. Karma
  6. Neighbor
  7. Snpi3down
  8. Roy
  9. Pistola
  10. Gandhi

This thread was a good read. 

How and why do you have Neighbor so high?  I never bought the hype of Mason Cobb.

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/13065-beach-lan-5-tournament-august-6th-13th/

and https://www.youtube.com/user/Jeeenyus/videos

Nipper series contain good players and theres some gameplay from the last beach lan tournament.

I think a lot of people can respect the massive amount of work Ogre 2 had put into his career. I think he definitely deserves to be #1. If we did a list of my favorite pro's not based on tournament winnings/skill etc I don't even know if he'd break the top 10 or 20. I remember going to an event wanting to meet FB when I was young and when I did I was hugely disappointed in how cold and uninterested the Ogre's seemed to everyone. Luckily Walshy and Strongside are two of the nicest most approachable pro's both back then and still today. It's like Michael Jordan. Dude's a legend but kinda a dick.

I hope to see him at this years beach LAN but I have never once heard back from any message I've ever sent him in my life.

Stan?  Is that you?

There are exactly 2 recordings on youtube which contain a complete game of you and your bro playing halo 1 2v2, please fix this thx.

This. Pls @@OGRE2

I'm talking about consistent population. Halo 5 does not currently have over 100k competitive players, not even close, and it's only been out for 7 months. Halo 2 and 3 had millions of online unique players and retained hundreds of thousands on a weekly basis for years. Halo 1 was not online so no data exists but it was extremely popular to LAN at colleges and high schools. Even XBC had hundreds of servers up every night (with at least 4 people in each one) and it was the laggiest shit imagineable. If it had proper online it probably would have reached hundreds of thousands throughout its life easily. Halo 2 was hyped because of Halo 1's multiplayer being so wildly popular. Halo 2 did not have a huge population just out of nowhere you know. Halo 1 helped to build MLG in its infancy and unlike every other recent Halo game, it only got more popular at tournaments as time went on.

It was also played in local shitty little tournaments around the world at a grassroots level so yes I'd wager over a million played it seriously at some point; they weren't all Ogre level obviously but they did try to win. People forget competitive gaming is not new. People took games seriously back in the day, you would get bragging rights amongst your peers if you were good, so yes people tried to be good at any popular game be it Doom, Quake, Unreal, Goldeneye, PD or Halo. It's different now because a lot of gamers are adults now and are too busy to take it seriously, and younger gamers seem to be spoiled by skill-less shit like COD. But everyone I played with in high school and everyone on XBC tried to better themselves at the game and enter local tournaments even if we liked to screw around in Blood Gulch a lot of the time. You just didn't have Xbox Live or a major competitive organized league to give you the statistics for it.

Did we just become best friends?

In order..Ogre 2, Ogre 1, Ola , Roy, Walshy, LunchBox, SnipeDown ...... Can only do 7. From there on it gets too murky

Same, although I'll usually add Zyos, Karma, T2, Saiyan, Strongs-fuck it's happening again.

I feel Ola was more dominant individually(didn't have Lunchbox to back him), and I feel hypothetically he would be the best player behind the Ogres if he played H2 in his prime. Also I asked Ogre 2 what his top 5 were in his stream, and he said the same. So really I'm an opinion thief :/ Except Tom had Roy and Walsh tied at 4th.

Did he really now?  If so that's interesting.  I made a post about Pistola in one of my earlier posts ITT.

ARGHhh double post! :/ Oh and Saiyan of 2005 was a beast and due to my biased opinion, I'd put him at 8th.

I like it.  And honestly I feel that he was pretty good from 2003-2006.  

If some of you aren't buried with halo 1 gravestones I'll be very surprised 

You stop it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i feel as though u missed something 

I'm too baked to go through the footage and check which tournaments, which leagues, and what years they did or did not play with the motion sensor for Halo CE.  

As someone who has watched every Halo, my list is as follows. 

1. OGRE 2

2. Roy

3. Pistola

4. Lethul

5. Lunchbox

6. Royal 2 

7. Snipedown

8. OGRE 1

9. ElamiteWarrior

10. Walshy

Five that JUST missed

Snake Bite, Legit, Karma, Shockwave, Neighbor 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I'm too baked to go through the footage and check which tournaments, which leagues, and what years they did or did not play with the motion sensor for Halo CE.  

nah dude, in our discussion. but yeah, they had it for a little while

1. OGRE 2

2. Roy

3. Pistola

4. Lethul

5. Lunchbox

6. Royal 2 

7. Snipedown

8. OGRE 1

9. ElamiteWarrior

10. Walshy

Five that JUST missed

Roy over Pistola?  Royal 2 over Snipedown and Ogre 1? Walshy 10th?  hahahahahahaha

• Upvote (+1) 2

1. 2gre

2. Everyone else

Tho 2gre could possibly be 2nd since he always referred to Dan as the better player tho. But honestly what are we comparing? Wins? Skill? Which game are we comparing in skill? 2gre has the most wins and showed the most skill across every Halo. This is the first Halo he's really played that he hasn't been on top (maybe H2A altho he was or contended for 1st alot) but I still think given how long Halo has gone on, he's still 1st overall and well in the lead. 

Sure he's not on top of Halo 5, but he can still hang with them. And 2gre is the only current pro who I'd put money on to still to this day actually hang with the top 5 players from every Halo game if they chose to boot it up for a tournament, and I think that matters more than simply being good at Halo 5. For example, even if they had weeks to prepare, pretty much all of the pros currently playing would get demolished by the top 4 CE players in CE, except 2gre who still is one of those top 4. I'm sure most are not pro-level up to date on the Halo 2 meta either.

And longevity matters, even if Dan was better in his prime.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I didn't follow pro H1 that much, but from what I understand Ogre 1 was in contention for best player, won 4v4 tournaments, and never lost a 2v2 tournament with his brother.

In H2, he was in contention for best player for at least part of the game, won the the first and last national championships of the game (the last of which his team won without dropping a game, which is especially impressive in what should be the most difficult H2 tournament), never placed outside of the top 2 in 4v4, and was a part of the biggest winning streak in Halo history (I think). That's team and individual dominance in what most people on this website would consider the two best halo games.

In H3, he won the first tournament, which is as much as Roy, Lunchbox, and Snipedown (who many in this thread rank higher than ogre 1) have done in H5. After that, I think he had a 7th place finish or something and then didn't finish out of the top 4 until he retired (other than a tournament that he attended with a joke team).

That's huge success across 3 games that many would argue are the best of the franchise. How people have him at anything below 3rd is beyond me.

• Upvote (+1) 3

1. OGRE 2

2. Roy

3. Pistola

4. Lethul

5. Lunchbox

6. Royal 2 

7. Snipedown

8. OGRE 1

9. ElamiteWarrior

10. Walshy

Five that JUST missed

lethul and royal 2 over ogre1 LMAOOO...just stop. also elamite over walshy like is u dumb or nah?

• Upvote (+1) 1

in that case 

ogres

walshy

roybox

snipedown

pistola

legit

lethul

in h1 we spawned with the ar for a primary, plasma rifle was op af and there was a radar with a much larger range

plasma rifle isnt op....it would fkn melt shields but once shields were down you were basically fked if you tried to use it to finish a kill of because it was so useless on health

• Upvote (+1) 1

For people dismissing LethuL/Snakebite. Who's to say that these players wouldnt have won tournaments in H1/H2? I feel like they are dismissed due to them not being pro in these games yet they werent even old enough to be relevant during their releases. As for my top 10: Orges, Roybox, Ola, Snipedown, Walshy, Karma, Lethul and Snakebite.  

• Downvote (-1) 2

Roy over Pistola?  Royal 2 over Snipedown and Ogre 1? Walshy 10th?  hahahahahahaha

Roy has won events in H2A and H5 where as Pistola has fallen off and only placed top 2 once in those two titles. That was the tie breaker for me. 

Royal 2 has been the best player in the last two titles and is one of the best individual performers I have ever seen in Halo. I would have no problem with the two you mentioned over him though. 

I penalize Walshy for falling off heavily starting in Halo 3. He only had event wins in two titles I also never considered him the best player in the game or his own team at any point of time, which puts him farther down on my list. However, I have no issue with people putting Walshy higher on their list. He was insane in Halo 1 and 2 and is one of the best utility players of all time.  

• Downvote (-1) 2

lethul and royal 2 over ogre1 LMAOOO...just stop. also elamite over walshy like is u dumb or nah?

Ogre 1 was the most feared player during his peak, but he did it during a time with much less competition. His level of play wasn't the same at the end of his career although I think he had pretty damn big potential at Halo 3. Lethul has won 8 of the last 9 events in an era with more competition and higher incentive to win. Royal 2 has been one of the three best players at the last two titles (and in my personal opinion the best player in the last two titles) and won three events while only placing outside of top 2 one time in that span. Both players also (easily) won the biggest Halo competition of all time with a big bulls eye on their back.

I have no problem with Walshy over Elamite. In my view Elamite was one of the most insane utility players of all time and had disgusting movement and strafing. I think that Elamite was always underrated and would have more event wins if he had the right team earlier. Imagine Elamite with the Ogres in Halo 2? Elamite also had two event wins during the most competitive season of Halo in my opinion (2010) when all teams had great LAN practice before every event. Walshy was struggling to make top 8 during this same time period and was a shell of his former self. 

I am a huge Final Boss fanboy and I think Halo 1 is the greatest Halo game by far. I just respect every title and the higher level of competition from late Halo 3 on ward. Just because I had OGRE 1 and Walshy lower on my list than some doesn't mean I don't respect the hell out of them. 

• Downvote (-1) 4

For people dismissing LethuL/Snakebite. Who's to say that these players wouldnt have won tournaments in H1/H2? I feel like they are dismissed due to them not being pro in these games yet they werent even old enough to be relevant during their releases. As for my top 10: Orges, Roybox, Ola, Snipedown, Walshy, Karma, Lethul and Snakebite.  

You don't rank people on what they might've done, bro.

Otherwise Eric Lindros would be the greatest hockey player of all time.

• Upvote (+1) 3

For people dismissing LethuL/Snakebite. Who's to say that these players wouldnt have won tournaments in H1/H2? I feel like they are dismissed due to them not being pro in these games yet they werent even old enough to be relevant during their releases.

People have the preconceived notion that Halo 1 and 2 counts for more than subsequent releases. It makes no sense considering the level of competition sky rocketed from Halo 3 on. And like you said, it is crazy to punish players for being too young to compete during the first two titles. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

LMAO at the notion of competition being increased since Halo 3 ended. Are you high? I already debunked this garbage. You can't claim there is better competition when the playerbase is 10% of what it used to be, also when the games competitively are broken compared to their predecessors. It makes no sense.

Placing arguably the best player across the two highest skillgap games in the series, from which he never came lower than 2nd in any tournament he entered to boot (meaning he had mental strength too) less than 3rd all time is just ludicrous to me. I think he's still 2nd in tourney wins to only his brother despite retiring 4 games ago.

• Upvote (+1) 4