iWatty

Top 10 Halo Players of All Time

uhh false.  not sure where you got dis info

Would you mind giving your top ten player list? I'm sure people would be interested.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The interesting thing about all this is that h2, h3 etc were not played competitively because they were the best competitive games to play......they were played because they were the newest game out at the time and had the word "HALO" on them.  Had MLG said "we're only going to play CE at our tournaments because it takes the most skill"  some other company would have just came along and started hosting halo 2 tournaments, putting MLG out of business.  MLG didn't want to host h2 tournaments, they HAD to.

I wish someone continued to throw H1 tourneys over the years though, or at least kept the grassroots scene a strong as possible. We could have had a situation similar to the Smash Bros scene with Melee and 4. I would love to see current day semi high stakes H1 tournaments. Halo became overly dependent on MLG imo. 

Also, it must be awesome being 2gre and reading this thread seeing his name at the top of basically every list. Must be a good feeling. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I wish someone continued to throw H1 tourneys over the years though, or at least kept the grassroots scene a strong as possible. We could have had a situation similar to the Smash Bros scene with Melee and 4. I would love to see current day semi high stakes H1 tournaments. Halo became overly dependent on MLG imo. 

Also, it must be awesome being 2gre and reading this thread seeing his name at the top of basically every list. Must be a good feeling. 

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/13065-beach-lan-5-tournament-august-6th-13th/

and https://www.youtube.com/user/Jeeenyus/videos

Nipper series contain good players and theres some gameplay from the last beach lan tournament.

I think a lot of people can respect the massive amount of work Ogre 2 had put into his career. I think he definitely deserves to be #1. If we did a list of my favorite pro's not based on tournament winnings/skill etc I don't even know if he'd break the top 10 or 20. I remember going to an event wanting to meet FB when I was young and when I did I was hugely disappointed in how cold and uninterested the Ogre's seemed to everyone. Luckily Walshy and Strongside are two of the nicest most approachable pro's both back then and still today. It's like Michael Jordan. Dude's a legend but kinda a dick.

I hope to see him at this years beach LAN but I have never once heard back from any message I've ever sent him in my life.

• Upvote (+1) 4

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/13065-beach-lan-5-tournament-august-6th-13th/

and https://www.youtube.com/user/Jeeenyus/videos

Nipper series contain good players and theres some gameplay from the last beach lan tournament.

I think a lot of people can respect the massive amount of work Ogre 2 had put into his career. I think he definitely deserves to be #1. If we did a list of my favorite pro's not based on tournament winnings/skill etc I don't even know if he'd break the top 10 or 20. I remember going to an event wanting to meet FB when I was young and when I did I was hugely disappointed in how cold and uninterested the Ogre's seemed to everyone. Luckily Walshy and Strongside are two of the nicest most approachable pro's both back then and still today. It's like Michael Jordan. Dude's a legend but kinda a dick.

I hope to see him at this years beach LAN but I have never once heard back from any message I've ever sent him in my life.

I was in Roy's stream once when something similar to what you were talking about got brought up. Roy was saying how Ogre 2 just prefers to keep to himself when it comes to his popularity. Which is something I can respect. Not everyone enjoys or wants to be "famous," for lack of a better word, and I respect their decision to remain private. Although I understand how getting the cold shoulder as a fan can easily be received in a negative way. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Walshy (plus Totz) actually agreed to play a H1 2v2 against myself and @@CyReN at a charity H3 event, as long as we donated a little bit more to the charity. ;) This was after they'd spent all day playing 2v2s against people who donated. He was very accommodating. 

Had him sign a copy of H1, still have it. 

drcwK54.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 8

Walshy (plus Totz) actually agreed to play a H1 2v2 against myself and @@CyReN at a charity H3 event, as long as we donated a little bit more to the charity. ;) This was after they'd spent all day playing 2v2s against people who donated. He was very accommodating. 

Had him sign a copy of H1, still have it. 

drcwK54.jpg

Actually found this on my old laptop a few months back of the event, good times.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are exactly 2 recordings on youtube which contain a complete game of you and your bro playing halo 1 2v2, please fix this thx.

• Upvote (+1) 6

You guys lost a LAN series to Patch and Harris, didn't you? 

Or was that you and somebody else?

Well, it's tough to disagree with that. But it feels like we are coming back to the original point someone brought up a few pages ago - Does Top 10 mean 'most skilled'? Or most accomplished? Or some other combination of a bunch of different variables?

(Also, 'millions' of people did not play H1 competitively. Not even close. And many many more than 20000 people play H5 competitively. Over 100k have played their placement matches. I agree with your point in general but you are factually incorrect here.)

Similarly, how do you know Lethul wouldn't have been a top player in H1? He could only play the games in front of him. And he's the best player in the world right now. 

I'm talking about consistent population. Halo 5 does not currently have over 100k competitive players, not even close, and it's only been out for 7 months. Halo 2 and 3 had millions of online unique players and retained hundreds of thousands on a weekly basis for years. Halo 1 was not online so no data exists but it was extremely popular to LAN at colleges and high schools. Even XBC had hundreds of servers up every night (with at least 4 people in each one) and it was the laggiest shit imagineable. If it had proper online it probably would have reached hundreds of thousands throughout its life easily. Halo 2 was hyped because of Halo 1's multiplayer being so wildly popular. Halo 2 did not have a huge population just out of nowhere you know. Halo 1 helped to build MLG in its infancy and unlike every other recent Halo game, it only got more popular at tournaments as time went on.

It was also played in local shitty little tournaments around the world at a grassroots level so yes I'd wager over a million played it seriously at some point; they weren't all Ogre level obviously but they did try to win. People forget competitive gaming is not new. People took games seriously back in the day, you would get bragging rights amongst your peers if you were good, so yes people tried to be good at any popular game be it Doom, Quake, Unreal, Goldeneye, PD or Halo. It's different now because a lot of gamers are adults now and are too busy to take it seriously, and younger gamers seem to be spoiled by skill-less shit like COD. But everyone I played with in high school and everyone on XBC tried to better themselves at the game and enter local tournaments even if we liked to screw around in Blood Gulch a lot of the time. You just didn't have Xbox Live or a major competitive organized league to give you the statistics for it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1. Ogre2
  2. Walshy
  3. Ogre1
  4. TSquared
  5. Karma
  6. Neighbor
  7. Snip3down
  8. Roy
  9. Pistola
  10. Gandhi

This thread was a good read. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

no they didn't even really play h1 when we did back then

we never lost a series, and never even lost a game on lan host.  I think cujjer is referring to single game losses off host to certain combos at a winter lan.  only game we lost in tournament was a 2v2 bc ctf game from red base to some cali guys black 3lk and i dont remember the other guy

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4

In order..Ogre 2, Ogre 1, Ola , Roy, Walshy, LunchBox, SnipeDown ...... Can only do 7. From there on it gets too murky

curious why u have ola and roy over walsh? 

I didn't mean an actual LAN tournament, just a LAN get together with some of the better H1 guys. I seem to remember @Patch Stay going on about it at some point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

curious why u have ola and roy over walsh?

I feel Ola was more dominant individually(didn't have Lunchbox to back him), and I feel hypothetically he would be the best player behind the Ogres if he played H2 in his prime. Also I asked Ogre 2 what his top 5 were in his stream, and he said the same. So really I'm an opinion thief :/ Except Tom had Roy and Walsh tied at 4th.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I didn't mean an actual LAN tournament, just a LAN get together with some of the better H1 guys. I seem to remember @Patch Stay going on about it at some point.

might have been talking about him and legend beating me and harris? dan hasn't played halo 1 since 2007 haha

• Upvote (+1) 9

might have been talking about him and legend beating me and harris? dan hasn't played halo 1 since 2007 haha

That might've been it. Thanks. :)

Tell your brother to stop being a doucher and pick up a Duke.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1. 2gre

2. Everyone else

Tho 2gre could possibly be 2nd since he always referred to Dan as the better player tho. But honestly what are we comparing? Wins? Skill? Which game are we comparing in skill? 2gre has the most wins and showed the most skill across every Halo. This is the first Halo he's really played that he hasn't been on top (maybe H2A altho he was or contended for 1st alot) but I still think given how long Halo has gone on, he's still 1st overall and well in the lead. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

If some of you aren't buried with halo 1 gravestones I'll be very surprised 

• Upvote (+1) 7

If I knew how to make Memes, I would make one from the Game of Thrones scene where the thousands of people are holding Khaleesi up and replace her with a HCE box. No meme could ever describe this group better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If some of you aren't buried with halo 1 gravestones I'll be very surprised 

If I knew how to make Memes, I would make one from the Game of Thrones scene where the thousands of people are holding Khaleesi up and replace her with a HCE box. No meme could ever describe this group better.

nothing wrong with praising our lord and savior

• Upvote (+1) 6