iWatty

Top 10 Halo Players of All Time

Again, this goes back to my point that since "halo" is contained in the question "top 10 HALO players of all time" we must first revert to the game that takes the most skill in the entire series and then go from there.  I know it's not what people want to hear because they have their favorite h2 and h3 pro, but if we are talking "skill" and "halo" then we have to look at the body of players who are/were the top CE players past and present, weigh halo CE in the past vs present, and then move to the other halos from there. "Skill" and "top 10" isn't based solely on tournament history.   Essentially what we are left with something to the effect of:

1. OGRE 2

2. OGRE 1

3. SKILLS

4. LEGEND

5. HARRIS

6. ZYOS

6.5. STRANGE PURPLE

7. WALSHY

8. MCDICK

9. SHADE

10. NISTIC

11. SNIPEDOWN

12. PISTOLA

13. ROY

14. LUNCHBOX

15. LETHUL

Who remembers this LOL. This was before power up control, nading items all over the map, and knowing spawns.

I feel like by your logic that means the LegendPimps and Patch should be top 2 on your list.

Eventually, h2 evolved and people discovered that 4v4 in h2 was better than 4v4 in CE.

Literally evolved, pre-patch mechanics are arguably worse than halo4 without AAs.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

With each Halo game weighted more or less evenly, here's a top 7 I came up with. After that it got too messy so I gave up. Flame away.

1. OGRE2

2. Snipedown

3. Pistola

4. Roy

5. Lunchbox

6. OGRE1

7. Lethul

Ogre 1 at 6th?

• Upvote (+1) 2

If there is one thing that is certain, it's that the Ogres NEVER lost a 2v2 series in Halo.... ever.  Not at AGP, not at MLG, not at any LAN, never.

That is incorrect, they have lost at least 2 series that i am aware of. 1 vs Tupac/Walshy and one more that i don't feel is appropriate to list the players.

Again, this goes back to my point that since "halo" is contained in the question "top 10 HALO players of all time" we must first revert to the game that takes the most skill in the entire series and then go from there.  I know it's not what people want to hear because they have their favorite h2 and h3 pro, but if we are talking "skill" and "halo" then we have to look at the body of players who are/were the top CE players past and present, weigh halo CE in the past vs present, and then move to the other halos from there. "Skill" and "top 10" isn't based solely on tournament history.   Essentially what we are left with something to the effect of:

1. OGRE 2

2. OGRE 1

3. SKILLS

4. LEGEND

5. HARRIS

6. ZYOS

6.5. STRANGE PURPLE

7. WALSHY

8. MCDICK

9. SHADE

10. NISTIC

11. SNIPEDOWN

12. PISTOLA

13. ROY

14. LUNCHBOX

15. LETHUL

Rumor has it that the Ogres didn't consider Zyos to even be a top 50 2v2 halo 1 player.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That is incorrect, they have lost at least 2 series that i am aware of. 1 vs Tupac/Walshy and one more that i don't feel is appropriate to list the players.

Rumor has it that the Ogres didn't consider Zyos to even be a top 50 2v2 halo 1 player.

What event did they lose?

I would consider karma at least above t2 based on accomplishments

I had him in there, posted the list, then realized I had 11.  I was sitting there looking at t2, karma, and shockwave and did not want to take any of them out.  I feel very confident in a top 5 being ogres, roybox, and walshy, with ola and snipedown at 6 and 7.  After that I just go around in circles arguing different combinations.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty sure the walshy/tupac loss was at a lan at some house, not an event, and it happened one time.  If you're asking about the one where he didn't list the other players, I'm not sure what that's referencing.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@BlackShadow, I finally had some time to sit down, think about it, and make a real top 20.  Here's the criteria I felt was most important, and what I used for my list:

Success across several games

Being on a dynasty/God Squad

Individual accomplishments (FFA/1v1 Wins, Pro Choice Awards)

Tournament Wins

At any point being considered the best in the game

The state of competitive Halo at the time (Depth of competitive field X Prestige of the game itself)

So here's my top 20:

1. Ogre 2

2. Snipedown

3. Pistola

4. Roy

5. Lunchbox

6. Walshy

7. Ogre 1

8. Lethul

9. Karma

10. T Squared

————

11. Strongside

12. Legit

13. Saiyan

14. Ghandi

15. Shockwave

16. Elamite Warrior

17. Neighbor

18. Victory X

19. FearItSelf

20. Zyos

I thought hard about putting more H1 Gods like Patch and Legend on there, but they represent such a small portion of the history of Halo, and the depth of the competitive field in Halo 1 is probably the smallest of the series.  More recent dominant players like Snakebite and Royal 2 nearly made the list as well just because they've been clearly on another level above their peers dating back to late Reach, which like it or not, is a long time now to be near the top of the competitive scene.  I ultimately decided against them because Reach, H4 and MCC had such low prestige and depth of field, and it's too early to tell with Halo 5.  I can say that if they keep on this track and Halo 5 continues to improve as a game, they will definitely be making my list in a couple years.

With stuff like this, I think it's important to consider the entire spectrum of competitive Halo, and then prioritize accordingly.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Without going into an insane amount of thought.  TBH I didn't follow Halo during Reach/4/MCC,.

Ogre1

Ogre2

Walshy

Zyos

Saiyan

Darkman

Snip3down

Pistola

Lethul

(Insert random EG/CLG name here)

Honorable mention:

Nistic- Didn't necessarily like him, but he was good, and good at other games other than Halo.

Carbon members- Shockwave, Ghandi, Karma..  They took down the Dynasty when no-one else could.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With each game weighted evenly, yes.

Would you really weigh halo 4 evenly, though? Even if we don't want to talk about the easiness of that game, so many top players either didn't compete at all or didn't come back until the end of the game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

halo reach, halo 4 and h2a are not weighted evenly. i might consider halo 5 due to the mechanics and level of competition but thats it

halo reach, halo 4 and h2a are not weighted evenly. i might consider halo 5 due to the mechanics and level of competition but thats it

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I can't consider a game with radar and extremely powerful autos in your back pocket to be even with h1, h2, and h3 at least.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not an event, this was at some unnamed winter lan.

Since I'm a H1 guy, real ranks:

OG1

OG2

PATCH

LEGEND

HARRIS

Killer N

Walshy

Zyos

Strangepurple

Gintron

Honorable mention: Nistic

GOATS are in caps. And I realize half of these names can't hang nowadays. Patch and Legend are 1,2 currently no doubt.

Halo 1 top 10 list without saiyan=instanly irrelevant
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Not an event, this was at some unnamed winter lan.

Was this a legit game though or are we talking about the ogres being up for 48 hrs straight or some shit with Walshy and Pac being wide awake lol?!

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Pkmn_Mstr_Kyle

Absolutely, hence the Kappa face.

I would have a real tough time making a serious list. The OP is kinda vague though, so the criteria is going to vary from list to list. I can make a list of the top 10 most important or influential players, but if I was to factor in placings and stuff it would be difficult. Theres definitely some nostalgia involved here, but since I'm going off of influential players I kinda feel that the people who paved the way had more weight in their actions.

1. Orge 2
  2. Walshy
  3. T2
  4. Ogre 1
  5. Zyos
  6. Strongside
  7. Gandhi
  8. Karma
  9. Shockwav3
  10. Pistola

This is a mix of player skill, individual talent, some placings, but most importantly influence, which is something that is really hard to factor in without being biased.

Despite how dominant Ogre 1 was, Ogre 2 gets the top spot because of his prolonged time as the reigning goat. The reason Ogre 1 gets placed beneath Walshy and T2 is because of the influence they had throughout their eras, as well as continued into today. They both had influence in major and minor ways. MTV's true life, Walshy sponsored by redbull, T2 on the Dr Pepper bottles etc. That's also why I have Strongside and Gandhi on that list because of their notoriety in their era, as well as the fact that they continued through casting/analyzing etc. 

Zyo's might be a bit of a nostalgic one, but he was the king before the Ogres. He helped shape competitive Halo from the primordial soup known as Combat Evolved. A lot of various tips/tricks can be attributed to other players, but it was Zyos that continued to push the meta of 1v1s through his competitive background. He represented the US in the world cyber games, he had pushed team communication and set ups to a higher level. Hell, his presence alone made others have to step up competitively and fast. Plus, his mind games back then were.. interesting. He would offer his opponent the ability to split the prize pool and give them a bit more money if they lost. I forget his reasoning but it was meant to demoralize his opponent.

Strongside Gandhi and Shockwav3 get their spots because of their time playing as well as casting. The one spot I'd question on my own list is Karma who is purely a player. However his 2006 dominance was unbelievable and he was still a beast in 2007. I think he has an interesting legacy and a positive message when he was in the spotlight. Lastly, I give it up to Pistola because he was incredibly dominant as well once he emerged. It didn't take a lot of time for him to reach the top compared to a lot of other players, plus his FFA win out of nowhere in 2007.

If I had to go off of player skill and tournament placings, this list would definitely be different.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would you really weigh halo 4 evenly, though? Even if we don't want to talk about the easiness of that game, so many top players either didn't compete at all or didn't come back until the end of the game.

Point of the list wasn't to argue about which games deserve more or less weighting, which is why I included the disclaimer at the beginning of the post.

Point of the list wasn't to argue about which games deserve more or less weighting, which is why I included the disclaimer at the beginning of the post.

in that case 

ogres

walshy

roybox

snipedown

pistola

legit

lethul

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I can't consider a game with radar and extremely powerful autos in your back pocket to be even with h1, h2, and h3 at least.

in h1 we spawned with the ar for a primary, plasma rifle was op af and there was a radar with a much larger range

• Upvote (+1) 1

in that case

ogres

walshy

roybox

snipedown

pistola

legit

lethul

in h1 we spawned with the ar for a primary, plasma rifle was op af and there was a radar with a much larger range

Yes, but the pistol was considerably more powerful compared to the AR than in halo 5. The radar was unfortunate, but there are a number of other things in h1 to compensate for that and make it more skillful than H5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

in that case 

ogres

walshy

roybox

snipedown

pistola

legit

lethul

Yes, but the pistol was considerably more powerful compared to the AR than in halo 5. The radar was unfortunate, but there are a number of other things in h1 to compensate for that and make it more skillful than H5

We also didn't use radar in team games for our competitive settings.  The AR couldn't challenge the pistol outside of close range.  And the PR was useful, but hardly OP.  I've wanted that PR back for years.  I don't know why they won't make it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

People put CE up on a pedestal because it took the most skill and try to revolve their list around that fact. But here's another fact most people don't take into consideration. A lot of players that have made big names for themselves since CE weren't around when CE was the main game to play. And so their names don't get thrown into the mix. It's not their fault that they weren't hear to play then. And we can't know if they would have been top players if they were able to compete then. We should stop making our Top players list around an era that not all players could compete in.

• Downvote (-1) 4

uhh false.  not sure where you got dis info

Please elaborate.  Very curious.