iWatty

Top 10 Halo Players of All Time

I mean, it's not like both of them can occupy one spot.  So this is how I separate the twins and give justification in placing Roy over his brother.

I get that part and thats cool. But you still gotta have em both in the top 10. They are 2 of the most consistent players to have ever played the game and they did it 99.99% of the time on the same squad.

If anything is true, there is a depressingly small amount of footage of Ogre 1 playing 2v2 halo 1.

• Upvote (+1) 5

what did gspot do

What did the guys on most of those list do other than be good at games that have an inferior skill curve to halo CE?  If we are going to make a top 10 halo list of all time, you can pretty much throw out anyone that performed in any game not named halo CE and just make a list of top 10 players taking into account both past and present Halo CE players.

"But some of these guys didn't start playing until halo 2...."

That sounds like a personal problem to me lol!  Being good at a halo that isn't halo CE isn't all that impressive due to the drastically lower skill curve.  There's the top 10 halo CE players of all time... and then... well... there's everybody else.

There's doing a 1 clip killtactular using sniper on Dere at a winter wonderlan...... and then there's everything else.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

ogre2, walshy, ogre1, roy, lunchbox, ola, snipedown, t2, saiyan, shockwave.

not entirely in a specific order, but I was a walshy fanboy and I like giving him credit for beating the ogres before joining them.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

What did the guys on most of those list do other than be good at games that have an inferior skill curve to halo CE?  If we are going to make a top 10 halo list of all time, you can pretty much throw out anyone that performed in any game not named halo CE and just make a list of top 10 players taking into account both past and present Halo CE players.

That sounds like a personal problem to me lol!  Being good at a halo that isn't halo CE isn't all that impressive due to the drastically lower skill curve.  There's the top 10 halo CE players of all time... and then... well... there's everybody else.

There's doing a 1 clip killtactular using sniper on Dere at a winter wonderlan...... and then there's everything else.

The reason I asked is there seemed to be some personality similarity between the 10 and I was wondering what gspot did

can't say i agree with this post but it doesn't keep me from loving it

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

WHAT

Also, people not putting Snakebite and Lethul in their top 10s is hilarious. Lethul has won tournaments in 4 separate games, been on THE god squad for 2 of them (and in reach, he was on the only team that could dethrone the god squad of the time). And he is the ONLY common thread between the two recent god squads. How could anyone not put him in their top 10? 

Snakebite has been a consistently top 5 player for like 6 years. 

EDIT: And while the competition as a whole has dropped since h2/h3, the competition at the top is very comparable today. There are about 4-6 teams who are loaded with talent and could win an event. The same was true in h2/h3. The only difference is in h2/h3 there were like 50 teams fighting for those top 16/24 spots, whereas today the competition outside the very top is pretty limited. But that's irrelevant when considering the best players.

I would not put Lethul and Snakebite anywhere near the top 10, but that's just my opinion.  I was wrong about the prize money though.  When you factor in the H4 Globals and the H5 HWC the payouts are much bigger today.  Tell me, what four Halo games did Lethul win an event in?  I'm pretty positive it's just Reach, H2A, and H5.  You're piece on Snakebite being a top 5 player for 6 years is extremely subjective, don't agree at all.  And the benefit of having pro, semi pro, and AM teams in LAN events was that you got to see people rise and fall through the ranks.  It is much more challenging and rewarding to fight through a tournament of 128-256 teams as opposed to an 8 team tournament spread out across 3 days.  

I get that part and thats cool. But you still gotta have em both in the top 10. They are 2 of the most consistent players to have ever played the game and they did it 99.99% of the time on the same squad.

RoyBox?  Yes.

This is the most ignorant statement in this thread so far.  I only hope you're trolling?

not entirely in a specific order, but I was a walshy fanboy and I like giving him credit for beating the ogres before joining them.  

Solid list mate.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And the benefit of having pro, semi pro, and AM teams in LAN events was that you got to see people rise and fall through the ranks.  It is much more challenging and rewarding to fight through a tournament of 128-256 teams as opposed to an 8 team tournament spread out across 3 days.  

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. Although I am in total agreement that the amateur competition in halo 2/3 was vastly higher than today, I just don't think that matters for the top competition. Even in halo 3, for example, the top teams did not have to 'fight through a tournament of 128-256 teams'. They were in pro bracket. They only ever played pro teams. And the top 4 seeds more or less NEVER lost in their opening rounds, because they were playing shitty AM level teams (13-16 seed). 

Was the overall talent pool higher in earlier halos? Absolutely. It's not even close. It's pretty laughable how bad the AM talent is today compared to 2006-2010.

Is the top talent pool worse today than it was in h2 or h3? I really don't think so. To name just a few examples: 2gre is no longer on a top team (he is still the GOAT though), ola is not on a top 4 team, Gandhi had to quit h3 cuz the new players passed him by, same with Strongside, etc. (I realized these guys have all gotten older, but if age is going to be your reason, then you can't discredit someone like Lethul - he was what, 10 when h2 was in it's prime? How is that his fault?) I don't mean to demean those players like 2gre - each of them are all time greats. But I simply thinks it's unfair and historically revisionist to act as though players like Lethul and Snakebite aren't in the top 10 ever. Especially to not put them 'anywhere near the top 10'. That is terribly biased. Maybe don't put Lethul in your top 10 - but if you don't put him in your top 15 you are just are tied up in the fact that you like the earlier halo games better.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No one is saying it is his "fault". That's just the way it is man. If you weren't around early on you shouldn't be considered. The quality of competition and games themselves are shittier today. When you only have 20000 people actively playing compared to millions, and when you have a lower skill ceiling, then it's not as relevant to be the best at it. The road to the top is shorter.

Wargod is sorta joking but I can see his logic too. He's just a hardcore CE fanboy, not that there's anything wrong with that lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No one is saying it is his "fault". That's just the way it is man. If you weren't around early on you shouldn't be considered. The quality of competition and games themselves are shittier today. When you only have 20000 people actively playing compared to millions, and when you have a lower skill ceiling, then it's not as relevant to be the best at it. The road to the top is shorter.

Well, it's tough to disagree with that. But it feels like we are coming back to the original point someone brought up a few pages ago - Does Top 10 mean 'most skilled'? Or most accomplished? Or some other combination of a bunch of different variables?

(Also, 'millions' of people did not play H1 competitively. Not even close. And many many more than 20000 people play H5 competitively. Over 100k have played their placement matches. I agree with your point in general but you are factually incorrect here.)

Similarly, how do you know Lethul wouldn't have been a top player in H1? He could only play the games in front of him. And he's the best player in the world right now. 

What did the guys on most of those list do other than be good at games that have an inferior skill curve to halo CE? If we are going to make a top 10 halo list of all time, you can pretty much throw out anyone that performed in any game not named halo CE and just make a list of top 10 players taking into account both past and present Halo CE players.

That sounds like a personal problem to me lol! Being good at a halo that isn't halo CE isn't all that impressive due to the drastically lower skill curve. There's the top 10 halo CE players of all time... and then... well... there's everybody else.

The elitism is strong with this one.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I would consider karma at least above t2 based on accomplishments
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Well, it's tough to disagree with that. But it feels like we are coming back to the original point someone brought up a few pages ago - Does Top 10 mean 'most skilled'? Or most accomplished? Or some other combination of a bunch of different variables?

(Also, 'millions' of people did not play H1 competitively. Not even close. And many many more than 20000 people play H5 competitively. Over 100k have played their placement matches. I agree with your point in general but you are factually incorrect here.)

Similarly, how do you know Lethul wouldn't have been a top player in H1? He could only play the games in front of him. And he's the best player in the world right now. 

I suppose we need to define what top 10 means exactly per your statement above.  Are we talking most skill, most pro tourney wins, what exactly? My statement still stands that Halo CE took more skill to be good at than any other halo.   Is the top player in halo 5 (a game requiring far less skill than CE) equal to or better to the #10 best player at Halo CE in terms of skill at an FPS based game?  To determine that we would need to look at the skill gap between the 2 games and take into account the aspect of 4v4 relative to 2v2.  

If there is one thing that is certain, it's that the Ogres NEVER lost a 2v2 series in Halo.... ever.  Not at AGP, not at MLG, not at any LAN, never. It's a damn shame that over the years each halo has been watered down taking less skill so that we could not witness the Ogres further expand the gap between themselves and the 2nd best team.  

Imagine a game like halo CE that has an exponentially higher skill curve than CE.  That is what this community would like to have seen but we are the minority. That is why you are left with a game like halo 5.   As Vinny pointed out, we live in a world where games are shittier with less skill required.  Kids get trophies for losing at sports, and the gaming industry makes games so that kids can get kills and feel good about themselves instead of making games that have a higher skill curve than CE.  Higher skill curve games don't sell to the masses, they make kids feel inadequate for a generation that believes "losing is winning" and that no child should be left behind.  It's comical and sad when some clueless squeaker talks about how difficult a game like Dark Souls 3 is.  

One could make a legitimate argument that it is the mindset of the current generation of entitled, instant gratification young gamers who cry "I'm not an elitist!" that ruined high skill curved based games.  If high skill curve games are what sold to the masses, the devs would make them.  Instead you have games that reward based on time spent playing, rather than rewarding on skill.  

I'm just thankful that I was able to witness competitive gaming in it's truest, pure form before the devs started making watered down trash.

5e69a134ccd8474349c923e9678433789cfa350f

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. Although I am in total agreement that the amateur competition in halo 2/3 was vastly higher than today, I just don't think that matters for the top competition. Even in halo 3, for example, the top teams did not have to 'fight through a tournament of 128-256 teams'. They were in pro bracket. They only ever played pro teams. And the top 4 seeds more or less NEVER lost in their opening rounds, because they were playing shitty AM level teams (13-16 seed). 

Was the overall talent pool higher in earlier halos? Absolutely. It's not even close. It's pretty laughable how bad the AM talent is today compared to 2006-2010.

Is the top talent pool worse today than it was in h2 or h3? I really don't think so. To name just a few examples: 2gre is no longer on a top team (he is still the GOAT though), ola is not on a top 4 team, Gandhi had to quit h3 cuz the new players passed him by, same with Strongside, etc. (I realized these guys have all gotten older, but if age is going to be your reason, then you can't discredit someone like Lethul - he was what, 10 when h2 was in it's prime? How is that his fault?) I don't mean to demean those players like 2gre - each of them are all time greats. But I simply thinks it's unfair and historically revisionist to act as though players like Lethul and Snakebite aren't in the top 10 ever. Especially to not put them 'anywhere near the top 10'. That is terribly biased. Maybe don't put Lethul in your top 10 - but if you don't put him in your top 15 you are just are tied up in the fact that you like the earlier halo games better.

Although I still do not agree with your first point, I understand a little more about what you're arguing for.  The reason MLG ran tournaments like that back in the day was to keep the top players at the top so they would be more marketable.  The only time they ran an event the correct way (at least compared to how everyone in the FGC runs their tournaments) was Meadowlands 2008 and FB still won that major.  But on the flipside, when we saw Karma and Naded try to fight through the open bracket in Columbus 2009 they did not make top 32.  Granted they did have two online kids on their team who didn't play well, but you can see how top teams could have fallen to lowered seeded teams if MLG had ran their tournaments correctly.  Another example happened in 2009 when XitWoundz did not win a single match but still retained their pro seed after two poor events.  

Also Gandhi did not "have to quit h3 cuz the new players passed him by", he quit Halo because real life was getting in the way and he did not enjoy H3 as much as he enjoyed H2.  Many pro players and community members left Halo after H3 because it was such a slap in the face to loyal players of the franchise and it did not grab the attention and interest of many older players.  Some stuck around of course, but not everyone.  Your statement about Gandhi is highly incorrect because even when he literally stopped caring and practicing he still placed 8th at Dallas '08 and qualified for nationals that year with a random team of four in Legendz.  Same can be said about Strongside, he still competed at a top level for many years and his last event win actually came in 2014.  He only left the scene to work at 343, just like Gandhi "left" to pursue an actual career and commentate for MLG.

Even with the accomplishments that Lethul and Snakebite have enjoyed since 2011, I would not put them in my top 10.  I could make a case for Lethul being a top 15 player and a case for Snakebite being top 20 but that's a stretch.  I honestly just feel that if look at every professional Halo player's total tournaments victories for 1v1, FFA, 2v2, and 4v4 events; combined with average placing, total years competing, different Halo games with tournament wins, national/global championships, and total prize money earned, I still stand by my statements and my GOAT list.  However I do understand that there's no objective way to answer the question on who should be placed where.  But I respect your opinion and enjoy discussing it.  

Wargod is sorta joking but I can see his logic too. He's just a hardcore CE fanboy, not that there's anything wrong with that lol.

I agree wholeheartedly with the first point.  If you were not around or a part of the competitive Halo scene from 2002-2007 you are just not going to understand how grueling the grind to get to the top of the rankings was.  I find it difficult to value or award serious merit to guys who were good in Reach, H2A, H4, and H5 because as I've said before, there are less LAN events, there are less people competing, and the skill gap has been shorted to a coin flip.  On top of that, with the exception of H4GC and HWC, the prize money available is also way less.  And this is why most people's top 10 lists are going to consist of primarily players who started in H1/H2.  It's the most logical thing to do.

For me, Top 10 means most accomplished which is supposed to translate to most skilled.  The only player I can think of that does not fit this mold would be Naded.  

I would consider karma at least above t2 based on accomplishments

Same.  But they are very close on my list.

I suppose we need to define what top 10 means exactly per your statement above.  Are we talking most skill, most pro tourney wins, what exactly? My statement still stands that Halo CE took more skill to be good at than any other halo.   Is the top player in halo 5 (a game requiring far less skill than CE) equal to or better to the #10 best player at Halo CE in terms of skill at an FPS based game?  To determine that we would need to look at the skill gap between the 2 games and take into account the aspect of 4v4 relative to 2v2.  

If there is one thing that is certain, it's that the Ogres NEVER lost a 2v2 series in Halo.... ever.  Not at AGP, not at MLG, not at any LAN, never. It's a damn shame that over the years each halo has been watered down taking less skill so that we could not witness the Ogres further expand the gap between themselves and the 2nd best team.  

Imagine a game like halo CE that has an exponentially higher skill curve than CE.  That is what this community would like to have seen but we are the minority. That is why you are left with a game like halo 5.   As Vinny pointed out, we live in a world where games are shittier with less skill required.  Kids get trophies for losing at sports, and the gaming industry makes games so that kids can get kills and feel good about themselves instead of making games that have a higher skill curve than CE.  Higher skill curve games don't sell to the masses, they make kids feel inadequate for a generation that believes "losing is winning" and that no child should be left behind.  It's comical and sad when some clueless squeaker talks about how difficult a game like Dark Souls 3 is.  

One could make a legitimate argument that it is the mindset of the current generation of entitled, instant gratification young gamers who cry "I'm not an elitist!" that ruined high skill curved based games.  If high skill curve games are what sold to the masses, the devs would make them.  Instead you have games that reward based on time spent playing, rather than rewarding on skill.  

I'm just thankful that I was able to witness competitive gaming in it's truest, pure form before the devs started making watered down trash.

5e69a134ccd8474349c923e9678433789cfa350f

I agree 100% with your points, however I think you would be best served just making a top 10 list for each separate Halo game.  Since for this particular discussion, we're trying to accurately and fairly weigh out a top 10-20 GOAT list with every Halo game played competitively.  To play devil's advocate here; yes Halo 1 took the most skill to be good at, however the tournament scene back then was minor.  The cash prizes were laughable compared to what they are today, the entry numbers were minuscule compared to what H2 and H3 events pulled in.  And there exists little to no footage of tournament gameplay from 2002-2004.  It's not the fault of the game or the scene, it's just the reality that the best game in the franchise came first, before the rise of esports, sponsors, twitch, social media, etc.  That meme is hilarious though.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

• Latrine Marine
  • Hamster
  • Gexny
  • DynoMike
  • iLondon
  • Tessler
  • PoppinFr3sh
  • Afroman Kurl
  • Bean Dip
  • Detach
Without a question these guys are in a tier of their own. :kappa:

It would be too hard for me to do a serious list.

Troll?
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The interesting thing about all this is that h2, h3 etc were not played competitively because they were the best competitive games to play......they were played because they were the newest game out at the time and had the word "HALO" on them.  Had MLG said "we're only going to play CE at our tournaments because it takes the most skill"  some other company would have just came along and started hosting halo 2 tournaments, putting MLG out of business.  MLG didn't want to host h2 tournaments, they HAD to.

The Ogres would have preferred it if MLG stuck with CE, as they were already the best at it and a new game meant a whole new playing field.

There was a website back in the day called halo2sucks where many former pros would just talk about how bad h2 was and how they'd rather play halo CE competitively, and justifiably so.  Eventually, h2 evolved and people discovered that 4v4 in h2 was better than 4v4 in CE.

If anything is true, there is a depressingly small amount of footage of Ogre 1 playing 2v2 halo 1.

Yeah it's really sad that MLG deleted all their VOD from their H1 and H2 events.  The world needs to see old greatness.

The interesting thing about all this is that h2, h3 etc were not played competitively because they were the best competitive games to play......they were played because they were the newest game out at the time and had the word "HALO" on them.  Had MLG said "we're only going to play CE at our tournaments because it takes the most skill"  some other company would have just came along and started hosting halo 2 tournaments, putting MLG out of business.  MLG didn't want to host h2 tournaments, they HAD to.

The Ogres would have preferred it if MLG stuck with CE, as they were already the best at it and a new game meant a whole new playing field.

There was a website back in the day called halo2sucks where many former pros would just talk about how bad h2 was and how they'd rather play halo CE competitively, and justifiably so.  Eventually, h2 evolved and people discovered that 4v4 in h2 was better than 4v4 in CE.

Your first point is definitely spot on.  I never knew why MLG didn't keep at least CE 2v2s on the circuit since they only ran 1v1/FFA/and 4v4 during H2's lifespan.  Philly 2005 is the only event that ran both games and besides the TS only non sense in the H2 bracket, many former pros have said positive things about playing both Halo games at one event.

I do remember that sight.  Still relevant to this day.  

And just to hit the point home even further, does anyone else remember how quickly team passes sold out for events from 2007-2010?  $240 passes for 256 rosters sold out in minutes...imagine if MLG did not have a entrant cap?  We would have seen each major with easily over 1000 teams compete.  That's 4000 players per event...only Evo compares to those numbers and they run almost every fighting game each July.  Halo most certainly peaked way too early.  

With each Halo game weighted more or less evenly, here's a top 7 I came up with. After that it got too messy so I gave up. Flame away.

1. OGRE2

2. Snipedown

3. Pistola

4. Roy

5. Lunchbox

6. Walshy

7. OGRE1

8. Lethul

EDIT: forgot walshy, added him at 6

Again, this goes back to my point that since "halo" is contained in the question "top 10 HALO players of all time" we must first revert to the game that takes the most skill in the entire series and then go from there.  I know it's not what people want to hear because they have their favorite h2 and h3 pro, but if we are talking "skill" and "halo" then we have to look at the body of players who are/were the top CE players past and present, weigh halo CE in the past vs present, and then move to the other halos from there. "Skill" and "top 10" isn't based solely on tournament history.   Essentially what we are left with something to the effect of:

1. OGRE 2

2. OGRE 1

3. SKILLS

4. LEGEND

5. HARRIS

6. ZYOS

6.5. STRANGE PURPLE

7. WALSHY

8. MCDICK

9. SHADE

10. NISTIC

11. SNIPEDOWN

12. PISTOLA

13. ROY

14. LUNCHBOX

15. LETHUL

Who remembers this LOL. This was before power up control, nading items all over the map, and knowing spawns.

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Exclusive footage" taken from winter wonderLAN on youtube where they didn't even play together lol

The highlight of that LAN from what I recall from reading on the MLG forums back in the day is that a group of guys showed up at that LAN in Pickerington and they were told "sorry bro, we're all filled up here".  No room for anyone else.

LOL