iWatty

Top 10 Halo Players of All Time

nobody is going to touch ogre2s number 1 spot for a very very long time and even then probably not....he has 40 major event wins...nobody even comes close. prize earnings do not determine greatness

• Upvote (+1) 5

nobody is going to touch ogre2s number 1 spot for a very very long time and even then probably not....he has 40 major event wins...nobody even comes close. prize earnings do not determine greatness

He actually has closer to 53 total wins, but yeah I don't know if someone will ever knock him off of the top spot.  And prize earnings doesn't equate to greatness, but it's a good indication for how well someone has done over the years.  More cash earned usually equates to a higher average placing, more tournament victories, longer careers, more national or world championships won, etc.  Players like Ace and Frosty could be considered exceptions to this however.

Ogre 1 is a GOAT because he was part of a duo that literally went undefeated in the hardest mode of Halo (2v2 H1) in tournament history. And also being fairly dominant in the 4v4 tournies as well.

Then followed it up by being part of a team that reeled off 3 straight years nearly undefeated play (18 1st places, 6 2nd places) in the second hardest Halo.

And he won 3 FFA competitions which is not easy.

• Upvote (+1) 5

1. OG2

2. Pistola

3. Snipedown

4. Legit

5. Walshy

Im a late h2/h3 kid , as you might be able to tell. These seem like the most difference-maker players to me, but all of this is so subjective, and it really comes down to these are just the players i enjoyed to watch the most lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

SK should get an honorable mention for making the single worst team decision in history.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Also there were more events, tournaments, and people competing at the highest level in H1/2.  

What?  I thought it was universally accepted that H3 was the height of popularity in the series, and as such had the most interest in the competitive scene.  I could see the argument for H2 because I feel like more people cared about being good at H2 than any other Halo, but certainly not H1.  I don't know how you're gonna argue that more people competed in high level in H1 than any other Halo, except maybe H4 or H2A.

I do agree that if you're going to make a definitive list, then guys like Gandhi and Strongside would fall into the top 20, not top 10.  However I would not say that either of those players' period of greatness were "limited".  Ogre 1 is a top 2/top 4 GOAT is most people's eyes because he was one of the best, in the toughest games for such a long time.  I'm not going to bust out the stats but it's going to take another decade of tournament play before we can seriously consider removing him from his GOAT position.  And I put FiS in my top 20, but not Victory X.  But I will agree that Lethul can be argued as a top 15 player on the all time list.

I made those points to get people thinking about the importance of longevity and dominance across several games, instead of circle jerking over the old days.  Yeah, they were good times.  I remember them well and look back on them fondly.  And those guys did some incredible things.  But if we're going to talk about best Halo players of all time, the first page was like 100% nostalgia.  I feel like guys that have done big things in 4+ games deserve more credit than guys like Ghandi, and threads like these tend not give them any.  And if I actually had a list of all the pros in front of me and made a definitive list, Ogre 1 probably would crack my top 10.  I used him as a harsh example to get my point across, that as old as this series is now, being incredible at the first two games might not be enough anymore.  There's been a lot of Halo played since 2007, and theres been a lot of new talent that is worthy of recognition.

I don't think people are getting ignored like that.  Many members of the community, even the elitist OGs give respect and props to guys like Formal, Str8 Sick, Royal 2, Snakebite, Ryanoob, Lethul, Ace, APG, etc; and others who didn't start their careers in H1 or 2.  Who are you referring to specifically that's getting ignored? 

When I made my post, zero of those people had been mentioned yet.  I saw the way the thread was trending and I tried to get it on a more objective track.

I don't think Victory X is underrated.  Won 3 events in H3, including the national championship all in 2010.  Solid placings all throughout the life of H2 and H3.  Top 25 guy IMO.  It's hard to break into a higher tier with you consider the wins, earnings, and legacies of guys above him.

I think his consistency and longevity get overlooked because he hasn't had as many first place finishes, but dude has been a top 4 caliber for like 10 years.  Maybe he's not top 10 material, but again I wanted to use him as an example to get people thinking beyond the first two games.

Agreed, it's not even close.  The prize money, number of attendees, number of events, and spectator numbers not even half of what they were during Halo prime peak as an esport.

I'm not so sure about spectator numbers.  They might be higher now.  They were never anything special back in 2009, iirc.  And it's unfair to say number of event attendees, because we don't hold open LAN tournaments anymore.  Who's to say Halo 5 couldn't put on a badass 200+ team open tournament?  Who's to say v7 Reach wouldn't have continued to do well if they kept it past Columbus '12.  Cbus '12 was FUCKING INSANE.  That tournament does not get the credit it deserves.  It showed that Halo could still draw if it's good.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Most agree H1 & H2 took the most individual skill so my ranks are weighted towards that.

OG2

OG1 (goat h1 player back in the day, which most people forget)

Pistola

Snipedown

Roy

Walshy

Strongside

Naded

T2 (longevity)

Roy and SD could easily be swapped.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Since I'm a H1 guy, real ranks:

OG1

OG2

PATCH

LEGEND

HARRIS

Killer N

Walshy

Zyos

Strangepurple

Gintron

Honorable mention: Nistic

GOATS are in caps. And I realize half of these names can't hang nowadays. Patch and Legend are 1,2 currently no doubt.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ogre 1 is a GOAT because he was part of a duo that literally went undefeated in the hardest mode of Halo (2v2 H1) in tournament history.

Didn't they only ever play like six events as a duo before splitting up?

Most agree H1 & H2 took the most individual skill so my ranks are weighted towards that.

OG2

Pistola

Snipedown

Roy

Walshy

Strongside

Naded

T2 (longevity)

I don't see how you can have Roy so high up but Lunchbox completely absent from the list.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't see how you can have Roy so high up but Lunchbox completely absent from the list.

Lunchbox should at least take T2 or Naded spot.

Sort of, they played off an on together over the years, and even separately always finished as two of the top three on separate teams with Walshy, Saiyan, Strangepurple and KillerN. The reason for this is they were so utterly dominant that they didn't see the point in teaming up together every time because it wasn't even a challenge. This just goes to further prove how much of a GOAT Ogre 1 is.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Sort of, they played off an on together over the years, and even separately always finished as two of the top three on separate teams with Walshy, Saiyan, Strangepurple and KillerN. The reason for this is they were so utterly dominant that they didn't see the point in teaming up together every time because it wasn't even a challenge. This just goes to further prove how much of a GOAT Ogre 1 is.

This is correct.  In hindsight they should have never done that.  They would have made more money and added more wins to their overall legacies.  

Lunchbox should at least take T2 or Naded spot.

Why though?

Agreed.

The Ogres played together for all of 2003 but switched it up in 2004.  In 2005 they teamed up again for the WCG events.

Since I'm a H1 guy, real ranks:

OG1

OG2

PATCH

LEGEND

HARRIS

Killer N

Walshy

Zyos

Strangepurple

Gintron

Honorable mention: Nistic

GOATS are in caps. And I realize half of these names can't hang nowadays. Patch and Legend are 1,2 currently no doubt.

No Clockwork?

OG2

Pistola

Snipedown

Roy

Walshy

Strongside

Naded

T2 (longevity)

Not just individual skill, but the meta for teamwork strength was also deeper back then too.

Why though?

Roy and Lunchbox are equals. Except they have very different playstyles and roles. Much like the Ogres.

Also, individually, LBX is very very consistent where Naded and T2 are not.

As far as placings - LBX has a National Championship and many wins - Naded does not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Roy and Lunchbox are equals. Except they have very different playstyles and roles. Much like the Ogres.

As far as placings - LBX has a National Championship and many wins - Naded does not.

I like Naded but he has no place in this thread.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Roy and Lunchbox are not equals in my opinion.  Roy has one more tournament victory, has earned a little more money, and has slightly more LAN tournament experience.  

I like Naded but he has no place in this thread.

Most people would disagree with this statement.  I am one of them.  Naded has won an FFA event in 2007, he has placed well at many nationals, has many 2nd place team victories, and has made more cash than a large majority of other GOATs on the list.

Also there were more events, tournaments, and people competing at the highest level in H1/2.  

What?  I thought it was universally accepted that H3 was the height of popularity in the series, and as such had the most interest in the competitive scene.  I could see the argument for H2 because I feel like more people cared about being good at H2 than any other Halo, but certainly not H1.  I don't know how you're gonna argue that more people competed in high level in H1 than any other Halo, except maybe H4 or H2A.

I do agree that if you're going to make a definitive list, then guys like Gandhi and Strongside would fall into the top 20, not top 10.  However I would not say that either of those players' period of greatness were "limited".  Ogre 1 is a top 2/top 4 GOAT is most people's eyes because he was one of the best, in the toughest games for such a long time.  I'm not going to bust out the stats but it's going to take another decade of tournament play before we can seriously consider removing him from his GOAT position.  And I put FiS in my top 20, but not Victory X.  But I will agree that Lethul can be argued as a top 15 player on the all time list.

I made those points to get people thinking about the importance of longevity and dominance across several games, instead of circle jerking over the old days.  Yeah, they were good times.  I remember them well and look back on them fondly.  And those guys did some incredible things.  But if we're going to talk about best Halo players of all time, the first page was like 100% nostalgia.  I feel like guys that have done big things in 4+ games deserve more credit than guys like Ghandi, and threads like these tend not give them any.  And if I actually had a list of all the pros in front of me and made a definitive list, Ogre 1 probably would crack my top 10.  I used him as a harsh example to get my point across, that as old as this series is now, being incredible at the first two games might not be enough anymore.  There's been a lot of Halo played since 2007, and theres been a lot of new talent that is worthy of recognition.

I don't think people are getting ignored like that.  Many members of the community, even the elitist OGs give respect and props to guys like Formal, Str8 Sick, Royal 2, Snakebite, Ryanoob, Lethul, Ace, APG, etc; and others who didn't start their careers in H1 or 2.  Who are you referring to specifically that's getting ignored? 

When I made my post, zero of those people had been mentioned yet.  I saw the way the thread was trending and I tried to get it on a more objective track.

I don't think Victory X is underrated.  Won 3 events in H3, including the national championship all in 2010.  Solid placings all throughout the life of H2 and H3.  Top 25 guy IMO.  It's hard to break into a higher tier with you consider the wins, earnings, and legacies of guys above him.

I think his consistency and longevity get overlooked because he hasn't had as many first place finishes, but dude has been a top 4 caliber for like 10 years.  Maybe he's not top 10 material, but again I wanted to use him as an example to get people thinking beyond the first two games.

Agreed, it's not even close.  The prize money, number of attendees, number of events, and spectator numbers not even half of what they were during Halo prime peak as an esport.

I'm not so sure about spectator numbers.  They might be higher now.  They were never anything special back in 2009, iirc.  And it's unfair to say number of event attendees, because we don't hold open LAN tournaments anymore.  Who's to say Halo 5 couldn't put on a badass 200+ team open tournament?  Who's to say v7 Reach wouldn't have continued to do well if they kept it past Columbus '12.  Cbus '12 was FUCKING INSANE.  That tournament does not get the credit it deserves.  It showed that Halo could still draw if it's good.

Who's your your 20?  Just curious.

Roy and Lunchbox are not equals in my opinion. Roy has one more tournament victory, has earned a little more money, and has slightly more tournament experience.

How? Are you talking about a couple AGLs? Lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How? Are you talking about a couple AGLs? Lol.

Yeah pretty much.  I know how miniscule it is, but I think these four events give Roy the slight edge over Lunchbox.  Box didn't attend these events at all and look how well Roy did.

http://halo.esportspedia.com/wiki/AGL_1_Chicago

http://teambeyond.net/umg-chicago-results/

http://halo.esportspedia.com/wiki/AGL_8_Knoxville

http://teambeyond.net/halo-master-chief-collection-launch-invitational-placings/

Oh..

I mean, it's not like both of them can occupy one spot.  So this is how I separate the twins and give justification in placing Roy over his brother.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The prize money...not even half of what they were during Halo prime peak as an esport.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

WHAT

Also, people not putting Snakebite and Lethul in their top 10s is hilarious. Lethul has won tournaments in 4 separate games, been on THE god squad for 2 of them (and in reach, he was on the only team that could dethrone the god squad of the time). And he is the ONLY common thread between the two recent god squads. How could anyone not put him in their top 10? 

Snakebite has been a consistently top 5 player for like 6 years. 

EDIT: And while the competition as a whole has dropped since h2/h3, the competition at the top is very comparable today. There are about 4-6 teams who are loaded with talent and could win an event. The same was true in h2/h3. The only difference is in h2/h3 there were like 50 teams fighting for those top 16/24 spots, whereas today the competition outside the very top is pretty limited. But that's irrelevant when considering the best players.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2