iWatty

Top 10 Halo Players of All Time

I feel like people are putting a lot of emphasis on the first 2 games.  There's been a lot of Halo played in the last 6 years that is going pretty much ignored.  Names like Ghandi and Strongside probably don't belong, as their period of greatness was so limited.  Hell, even Ogre 1 is a question mark if you consider the totality of the series.  I'd be more inclined to put names like Victory X and FearItSelf in there.  I guess the point I'm getting at here is if you're gonna consider somebody like Ghandi or T2, then you should probably start considering somebody like Lethul too.

I think it'd be pretty safe to put the top 4 as:

Ogre 2

Snipedown

Roy/Lunchbox

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 3

If I were to try and make a comprehensive list that objectively encompassed everything I stated in my first post ITT, the list would probably be...

Ogre 2
Ogre 1
Walshy
Pistola
Roy
Snipedown
Lunchbox
Shockwave

11-20:

Legit
ElamiteWarrior
Lethul
Saiyan
Zyos
Strongside
Heinz
FearitSelf
Gandhi
Hysteria/SK/Cloud/Ghostayame/Killer N, can't decide

• Upvote (+1) 3

Just gonna leave this here....

Edit: This was made during Halo 4 era, I think Lethul and maybe Snakebite or Royal2 would have probably made it onto this list if it was done today. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think it's clear Ogre 2 is the GOAT, but I think Snipedown is giving him a run for his money. The dude has been very successful for 4/5 Halo games now, winning events in nearly every iteration of Halo except H1 and H2, and that's because he was less than 10 years old when H1 came out. Once 2gre retires in the hopefully distant future, I think we'll see Snipedown continue on and surpass him in success.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I feel like people are putting a lot of emphasis on the first 2 games.  There's been a lot of Halo played in the last 6 years that is going pretty much ignored.  Names like Ghandi and Strongside probably don't belong, as their period of greatness was so limited.  Hell, even Ogre 1 is a question mark if you consider the totality of the series.  I'd be more inclined to put names like Victory X and FearItSelf in there.  I guess the point I'm getting at here is if you're gonna consider somebody like Ghandi or T2, then you should probably start considering somebody like Lethul too.

Ogre 2

Snipedown

Roy/Lunchbox

Halo 1 and 2 were the pinnacle of competitiveness so I think that's why people rate players from that era more highly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

1. Dylan

2. Dylan

3. Dylan

4. Dylan

5. Dylan

6. Studd 2

7. RippinHeads

8. Diesel

9. NYSea

10. Kev Z

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well, I'm Number 1, if you disagree, prove it

SnakeBite and Royal2 have to be in the discussion. Dominant as a duo since Reach, placing outside the top 3 only once.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My top 10 in no order except 2gre is number 1

The 2gre(ogre 2)

Wtf omgre 1(ogre 1)

Roy

Lunchbox

Snip3down

T2

Walshy

Pistola

shockwave or zyos

• Upvote (+1) 2

bro wat

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

bro wat

They were top names in one game, and also-rans in any other game.  Meanwhile, people that have been winning tournaments for like 6 years now are getting ignored because the people here don't like the games as much.  If you're saying best all time, then include all time, even the recent ones.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

bro wat

They literally have movement options in halo named after them. T2 has a weapon set named after him + has numerous 1-3 placings in h1-3 + r, and even h2a if you count the invitational and was the first halo pro to seem like he "made it"

Wtf did we name after lethul or victory x?

@@Hard Way

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They literally have movement options in halo named after them. T2 has a weapon set named after him + has numerous 1-3 placings in 1-3 + r, and even h2a if you count the invitational and was the first halo pro to seem like he "made it"

@@Hard Way

Of course stuff is going to get named after people earlier in a series' lifespan.

T2 belongs, but I don't think I'd have Strongside in mine.  The dude was exceptional in one game.  Meanwhile Lethul was on the team that beat the God Squad in Reach, and on Evil Geniuses, who any objective fan would consider one of the most dominant teams ever. He's won multiple tournaments in 3 4 different games, and has been on the undisputed best team in the game twice.

Eli has a part of Midship named after him.  Should he make the list too?

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

These lists are tough to put together, right now I'd say SD is #1, but it's close with Pistola.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is the T2 combo even a positive thing? I always saw it as more of a mockery thing. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ogre 2

Ogre 1

Pistola

Snipedown

Walshy

T2

Lunchbox

Roy

Strongside

Naded, ghost and legit narrowly miss

• Upvote (+1) 2

T2 belongs, but I don't think I'd have Strongside in mine. 

All I can say is you obviously didn't watch Gandhi or SS in H3. They were still top players. Then the competition died and Gandhi got into casting but SS was insanely good at Reach. He even dominated a H2A event which was last year. Admit your ignorance. It's the same old debate you have in sports - just because a player chooses to move on doesn't make him any less legendary in his prime. Unless we're talking about white athletes who played when there was zero black athletes but I digress.

I do agree with Vic X and Lethul though. They deserve to be up there for sure. Vicx has always been underrated.

Of course stuff is going to get named after people earlier in a series' lifespan.

T2 belongs, but I don't think I'd have Strongside in mine. The dude was exceptional in one game. Meanwhile Lethul was on the team that beat the God Squad in Reach, and on Evil Geniuses, who any objective fan would consider one of the most dominant teams ever. He's won multiple tournaments in 3 4 different games, and has been on the undisputed best team in the game twice.

Eli has a part of Midship named after him. Should he make the list too?

The competitive scene in Reach, h2a and H5 just doesn't compare to hce, 2 and 3 though.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Go

I don't get why people negged this post. Also, OP, post your top 10 players.

Walshy

Ogre 2

T2

Snip3down

Roy

Strongside

Legit

Naded

Neighbor

Formal

• Upvote (+1) 2

Ogre 2

Snipedown

Roy/Lunchbox

People put a lot of emphasis on the first two games because the community as a whole agrees that, objectively speaking, the first two Halo games took the most time and skill to be good at.  Also there were more events, tournaments, and people competing at the highest level in H1/2.  I do agree that if you're going to make a definitive list, then guys like Gandhi and Strongside would fall into the top 20, not top 10.  However I would not say that either of those players' period of greatness were "limited".  Ogre 1 is a top 2/top 4 GOAT is most people's eyes because he was one of the best, in the toughest games for such a long time.  I'm not going to bust out the stats but it's going to take another decade of tournament play before we can seriously consider removing him from his GOAT position.  And I put FiS in my top 20, but not Victory X.  But I will agree that Lethul can be argued as a top 15 player on the all time list.

I think darkman would def have to be on the list

I think it would be generous to put him in the top 50, maybe top 40.  But that's honestly it.  He won a good amount of events in competitive Halo's infancy (2002-2003) but kind of faded by the end of 2004 from the very top of the rankings.  The prize money was significantly less back then too.

I think it's clear Ogre 2 is the GOAT, but I think Snipedown is giving him a run for his money. The dude has been very successful for 4/5 Halo games now, winning events in nearly every iteration of Halo except H1 and H2, and that's because he was less than 10 years old when H1 came out. Once 2gre retires in the hopefully distant future, I think we'll see Snipedown continue on and surpass him in success.

I would say Pistola has more accomplishments to challenge that #1 spot as opposed to Snipedown.  Maybe even Roy as well.  If Pistola had won the 1v1 Finals in MLG Las Vegas 2007, as well as the national championship at MLG Orlando in 2009, and the H4 Global Championships in 2013, then I would seriously argue that he's top 1 or 2 on the all time list.  He was heavily favored to win those three big events but it didn't pan out for different reasons.  Currently, those 3 guys all have accomplishments around the same level.  But yeah I can see the title of #1 being passed down if M$/343i keeps pumping out Halo games and organizing big cash tournaments for them.

Halo 1 and 2 were the pinnacle of competitiveness so I think that's why people rate players from that era more highly.

This.  Also the fact that there were just so many more events from 2003-2007.  People forget that those older events consisted of FFAs, 1v1s, and sometimes 2v2s; not solely just 4v4 tournaments.  On top of that, those events were always open, so hundreds more competitors were allowed in as opposed to the online qualifier transition we've seen in H2A and now H5.  It's just way more difficult to beat out 256 teams on LAN than it is to beat out 64 teams in an online ladder or cup.

They were top names in one game, and also-rans in any other game.  Meanwhile, people that have been winning tournaments for like 6 years now are getting ignored because the people here don't like the games as much.  If you're saying best all time, then include all time, even the recent ones.

I don't think people are getting ignored like that.  Many members of the community, even the elitist OGs give respect and props to guys like Formal, Str8 Sick, Royal 2, Snakebite, Ryanoob, Lethul, Ace, APG, etc; and others who didn't start their careers in H1 or 2.  Who are you referring to specifically that's getting ignored? 

They literally have movement options in halo named after them. T2 has a weapon set named after him + has numerous 1-3 placings in h1-3 + r, and even h2a if you count the invitational and was the first halo pro to seem like he "made it"

@@Hard Way

Agreed.  Although there were pros before T2 that made a living off of Halo.  Ogres, Walshy, Zyos, and possibly Killer N are the ones that come to mind when I think of the first players to sign a major contract to play Halo.

T2 belongs, but I don't think I'd have Strongside in mine.  The dude was exceptional in one game.  Meanwhile Lethul was on the team that beat the God Squad in Reach, and on Evil Geniuses, who any objective fan would consider one of the most dominant teams ever. He's won multiple tournaments in 3 4 different games, and has been on the undisputed best team in the game twice.

Eli has a part of Midship named after him.  Should he make the list too?

Strongside won most of his events in H2, but he also won one event in H3, H4, and H2A as well.  But I do agree with the logic that having parts of maps named after pros shouldn't be a reason why their names are higher on the all time list.  By that logic Bonfire would also be a top 50 guy.  It's kind of like elevating players on the GOAT list because they have a really good montage or two.  You can't value things of that nature that only adds to someone's popularity level.

All I can say is you obviously didn't watch Gandhi or SS in H3. They were still top players. Then the competition died and Gandhi got into casting but SS was insanely good at Reach. He even dominated a H2A event which was last year. Admit your ignorance. It's the same old debate you have in sports - just because a player chooses to move on doesn't make him any less legendary in his prime. Unless we're talking about white athletes who played when there was zero black athletes but I digress.

I do agree with Vic X and Lethul though. They deserve to be up there for sure. Vicx has always been underrated.

I don't think Victory X is underrated.  Won 3 events in H3, including the national championship all in 2010.  Solid placings all throughout the life of H2 and H3.  Top 25 guy IMO.  It's hard to break into a higher tier with you consider the wins, earnings, and legacies of guys above him.

The competitive scene in Reach, h2a and H5 just doesn't compare to hce, 2 and 3 though.

Agreed, it's not even close.  The prize money, number of attendees, number of events, and spectator numbers not even half of what they were during Halo prime peak as an esport.

• Upvote (+1) 8