iWatty

Top 10 Halo Players of All Time

:/ Wrong Ogre 2 and Walshy both said 2005 Saiyan was better than 2007 strongside... Tom said when Saiyan practiced he was a beast, and was better than Strongside and even Walshy! at H2. but he never practiced and that ruined team chemistry so he got dropped. When I told Walshy this he got a bit annoyed, he basically said "yeah if he practiced but he never practiced.....I was reliable, Saiyan was hit and miss". Very Interesting huh ;)

• Downvote (-1) 1

:/ Wrong Ogre 2 and Walshy both said 2005 Saiyan was better than 2007 strongside... Tom said when Saiyan practiced he was a beast, and was better than Strongside and even Walshy! at H2. but he never practiced and that ruined team chemistry so he got dropped. When I told Walshy this he got a bit annoyed, he basically said "yeah if he practiced but he never practiced.....I was reliable, Saiyan was hit and miss". Very Interesting huh ;)

Yeah I'm not buying a word of this lolololol

It was so much more difficult to win in 2007 than it was in 2005. H2 was on its third year in the circuit.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

That's what I meant, after they won the first event Walshy only got back to the finals at Toronto I believe.

He went to finals several times with Carbon and Instinct.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

It was so much more difficult to win in 2007 than it was in 2005. H2 was on its third year in the circuit.

I agree with this. The only event I consider to have some actual competition in 05 was Philly, but that was a weird event in it's own. I only consider that because of the number of teams compared to other events that year. The first year a game comes out in my opinion is usually the easiest year to achieve something, as the meta was a joke compared to 2007. 

Anyway, I definitely think 2007 Strongside > 2005 Saiyan, but that's also because I think 2007 Strongside > Everyone when it comes to Halo 2. I think he had a rough event before the finals but throughout that year he did ridiculous stuff. In the 2007 finals he went absolutely nuts all series. Didn't they not drop a game at the championship? I do remember that in a midship slayer game he almost had half of FB's kills.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I agree with this. The only event I consider to have some actual competition in 05 was Philly, but that was a weird event in it's own. I only consider that because of the number of teams compared to other events that year. The first year a game comes out in my opinion is usually the easiest year to achieve something, as the meta was a joke compared to 2007. 

Anyway, I definitely think 2007 Strongside > 2005 Saiyan, but that's also because I think 2007 Strongside > Everyone when it comes to Halo 2. I think he had a rough event before the finals but throughout that year he did ridiculous stuff. In the 2007 finals he went absolutely nuts all series. Didn't they not drop a game at the championship? I do remember that in a midship slayer game he almost had half of FB's kills.

You would be correct sir.

lol i knew this thread would be a shitshow when i read the title and i was not disappointed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Your top 10.  Go.

I could do a current (Read: past 11 years) list for H1 but not halo in general. Comparing a deep meta 2s game vs a linear 4s game is silly.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sad :/ because it's true... Next time Tom's streaming and Walshy's streaming ask them! Then I want an apology!!! Unless you guys think you know better than Ogre 2 and Walshy? ASK THEM!!! tumblr_lyx41ycSeI1qfjhkio1_500.gif
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ogre 2 had the highest kill/death ratio of Final Boss for the 2007 Nationals. With a ratio of 1.62 and won MVP... While the other guys were around 1.28. Ogre 2 was the Greatest H2 player by far looking at his stats. Strongside wasn't far behind individual skill wise, but Ogre 2 was better stats wise. Strongside always went off when he played Carbon it was his revenge ;)https://youtu.be/0xWoXEJnuTw
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I could do a current (Read: past 11 years) list for H1 but not halo in general. Comparing a deep meta 2s game vs a linear 4s game is silly.

Do it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yes please do. I really enjoyed the power rankings from I think the 3rd BL. However that sampled a lot of different player's votes. I'd be interested in seeing how just the top players rate everyone else.

Yup. It's no coincidence that a lot of "top tier pros" fell off and/or retired in 07, when prize money went up exponentially and real talent which would be around for years to come began to shine.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Legend JRG

Vegett0

T2

Totz

Sudd 1/2 

Batmayne

Gspot

Mantrain

Ramby

Defy

Popcorn P

best list I ever seen I def agree on the sudds , totz , and mantrain can we get a lil poison honorable mention though?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yup. It's no coincidence that a lot of "top tier pros" fell off and/or retired in 07, when prize money went up exponentially and real talent which would be around for years to come began to shine.

Wait, what are you talking about?

• Downvote (-1) 1

Players like Fonzi, Foulacy, Saiyan, KillerN and plenty more. All staples of the top 6/8 in 05 and 06, suddenly completely fell off the map in 07, bar a decent placing or two. Sure, you could attribute it to "losing the drive to compete", but I think it's no coincidence that the guys who were considered top tier pros in 05-06 fell off when the competition got tougher.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Your username is my reaction to your posts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Players like Fonzi, Foulacy, Saiyan, KillerN and plenty more. All staples of the top 6/8 in 05 and 06, suddenly completely fell off the map in 07, bar a decent placing or two. Sure, you could attribute it to "losing the drive to compete", but I think it's no coincidence that the guys who were considered top tier pros in 05-06 fell off when the competition got tougher.

Saiyan would have had no problem competing if he still loved the game.  He is the perfect example of losing one's drive to compete. The guy was a monster, even on little practice.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think there might have been an element of... This isn't as fun as Halo 1 and I have to work harder and play a game I don't love as much in order to still be competitive. Why bother?

Or just getting older and moving on in general.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Okay guys I have reviewed my top 10 to fit your criteria here we go: (I really hope you guys enjoy it) i put alot of effort into it.

(1) 2gre

(2) ola

(3)walshy

(4) ogre 1

(5) Karma - tied for amount of ffa event  ins with zyos, was only really relevant for one 1 game aka halo 2, where he has 3 4v4 event wins. Didn't really do anything in halo 3 apart from 1 event win where he fortunate to even be on the squad and was shortly dropped afterwards. Won all ffa's in 06.  so like zyos was relevant for 4 years of competitive halo but fuck it he will go in the top 10.

(6)Sayian - 16 event wins and 4 second places (all of which were played with the ogres and walshy) Was only pro in 2 games - that is when he tried, unfortunately he didn't give a shit nor did he have the desire to grind shit out and practice because he got bored of the franchise, but hey he was on 05 final boss who were great so he is going in. 

(7)Zyos - 10 event wins the majority of which were in halo 1 and was only relevant for 4 years in halo's history. He is tied for most ffa event wins, but again only relevant for 4 years out of 16.

(8) Fear itself - was top 4 in halo 2 won a event in 07, remained in and around top 8 until 09 where he won 3 more events and then plumeted but he was apart of that 09 fb squad that was a fan favourite so he has got to in as one of the top ten best halo players. Relevant for 7 years out of competitive halo history.

(9) Gandhi quite literally only had success in one title, has 4 events wins but his trash talk was legendary and that gets him in the top 10. Relevant for 3 years of competitive history.

(10) strongside - was on the second best team in 06 (BEFORE BEING DROPPED), was apart of 07 fb, won an event in h3 before doing f all for the rest of his competitive career and has a move named after him, won the halo 4 btb competition which was literally about just repeatedly playing and who had the most free time, he gets into the top based solely on his 06&07's placings. So essentially he was only relevant for 2 years in competitive halo history. 

Can I now be included in the circle jerk over halo 1 and halo 2 pro's.

• Downvote (-1) 5

Saiyan would have had no problem competing if he still loved the game.  He is the perfect example of losing one's drive to compete. The guy was a monster, even on little practice.

Here's a explanation/rant regarding these players. Kinda gets off topic I guess.

I've heard from multiple people that Saiyan didn't care about Halo anymore. Back on the MLG forums people speculated that WoW had taken over his life but I've heard from closer sources that he was whipped by his girlfriend and gave up gaming all together.

Again this is an era where there were multiple events throughout the years. Fonzi had played for 3 years. He has 17 top 3 finishes in his 4v4 career and around 8 top 3 FFA finishes. He was dropped from Str8 Rippin following a third place finish in 2006 right before Str8 signed their contract. In 2007 he continued to team with Foulacy and a mixture of others that stayed in the top 16 throughout the season.

Foulacy has one more top 3 finish than Fonzi, but his FFA placings aren't anything notable. He went to two events for Halo 3 and again finished in 11th and 8th place, which aren't bad placings considering the placings of other pros at the time. Hell 13th place went to a friend of mine and some random am players at meadowlands 2008.

Killer N placed either first or second in every tournament he attended in 2004. He then didn't finish outside of top 8 in 2005 and 2006 with a majority of them being top 4 placings. It wasn't until 2007 did he drift off and get lower placings with what I would consider are worse rosters. He placed 19th at Halo 3's opener, which again was a weird event being the first competitive LAN of a new Halo title that didn't play like it's predecessor. Then unfortunately, and I won't go into many details here, but I remember reading his retirement blog that was really weird. I believe he had some personal/health problems that caused him to not give a fuck about anything really.

All in all, these guys each accomplished a lot in my opinion, despite not being mentioned on anyones top 10 lists. You have to realize that a lot of Halo players just really stopped caring about the next installment of the series because it was so much different and a lot less fun to them. Theres the story about Sergio just completely quitting and never coming back during a practice session on IGS. I remember matching a bunch of random Halo 2 semi pros in Halo 3 when it came out and none of them had good things to say about the game.

I won't be ignorant enough to say that if all these players continued to grind, they'd stay at the top forever, but I hardly feel that they couldn't hang and just quit because of their skill level. They lacked the passion or drive to compete in those games just like new pros would have no desire to prove themselves in older titles. They probably see no point and I don't blame them. I just don't care for when they discard a lot of Halo's history when the series has progressively gotten worse regarding it's competitive mechanics. (other reasons too) Even H2A was a complete shell of it's former self, but I bet people playing H2A wouldn't consider that.

I don't know many pros who have gone back and played Halo CE at a high level. The three I can think of are Roy, Lunchbox, and Ryanoob. I give Roy/Box a lot of respect for playing in the Beyond 2v2 even though it was MCC. They played Soulja and Hali and got absolutely destroyed by them in a somewhat humbling fashion. From the stream it looked like the twins realized this and weren't upset or anything, just impressed. I can somewhat respect Ryanoob because he had played OG on LAN with a top player, McDick, and a few other good people. I forget the quote, but he held the opinion that he was able to keep up and did fine playing with top people. A bunch of the series is uploaded on youtube and theres video evidence that this isn't quite the case. He was able to get kills, but all while doing almost everything else wrong. However, I'd imagine anyone who is on McDicks team has a high chance of succeeding.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Okay guys I have reviewed my top 10 to fit your criteria here we go: (I really hope you guys enjoy it) i put alot of effort into it.

(1) 2gre

(2) ola

(3)walshy

(4) ogre 1

(5) Karma - dude was a beast in halo 2, and had an amazing 2006, did nothing for the rest of his career but fuck it he deserves a place in the top ten halo players of all time as I am such a nostalgic fanboy. woooo go carbon.

(6)Sayian - had 2 good games - that is when he tried, unfortunately he didn't give a shit nor did he have the desire to grind shit out and practice because he got bored of the franchise, but hey he was on 05 final boss who were great so he is going in

(7)Zyos - literally had 1 good game when halo was at grass roots level, but hey he was a strategic mastermind who could never repeat his success in any other game,

(8) Fear itself - was top 4 in halo 2 won a event in 07, remained in and around top 8 until 09 where he won 3 more events and then plumeted but he was apart of that 09 fb squad that was a fan favourite so he has got to in as one of the top ten best halo players

(9) Gandhi quite literally only had success in one title, has 4 events wins but his trash talk was legendary and that gets him in the top 10.

(10) strongside - was on the second best team in 06 (BEFORE BEING DROPPED), was apart of 07 fb, won an event in h3 before doing f all for the rest of his competitive career and has a move named after him, won the halo 4 btb competition which was literally about just repeatedly playing and who had the most free time, he gets into the top based solely on his 06&07's placings.

You sound upset?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Killer N was more of a dominant player in 2004, not really '05/'06.  I think you have actually have a point about some guys falling off when the competition got more difficult.  But you also have to remember how easy it was to lose motivation in an era that did not have social media, no youtube subs, no twitter followers, no twitch hype, almost no real sponsorships, etc.  

I think there might have been an element of... This isn't as fun as Halo 1 and I have to work harder and play a game I don't love as much in order to still be competitive. Why bother?

Or just getting older and moving on in general.

This literally has happened with so many good players every time a new Halo game has come out.

(1) 2gre

(2) ola

(3)walshy

(4) ogre 1

(5) Karma - dude was a beast in halo 2, and had an amazing 2006, did nothing for the rest of his career but fuck it he deserves a place in the top ten halo players of all time as I am such a nostalgic fanboy. woooo go carbon.

(6)Sayian - had 2 good games - that is when he tried, unfortunately he didn't give a shit nor did he have the desire to grind shit out and practice because he got bored of the franchise, but hey he was on 05 final boss who were great so he is going in

(7)Zyos - literally had 1 good game when halo was at grass roots level, but hey he was a strategic mastermind who could never repeat his success in any other game,

(8) Fear itself - was top 4 in halo 2 won a event in 07, remained in and around top 8 until 09 where he won 3 more events and then plumeted but he was apart of that 09 fb squad that was a fan favourite so he has got to in as one of the top ten best halo players

(9) Gandhi quite literally only had success in one title, has 4 events wins but his trash talk was legendary and that gets him in the top 10.

(10) strongside - was on the second best team in 06 (BEFORE BEING DROPPED), was apart of 07 fb, won an event in h3 before doing f all for the rest of his competitive career and has a move named after him, won the halo 4 btb competition which was literally about just repeatedly playing and who had the most free time, he gets into the top based solely on his 06&07's placings.

@@Smee mee

So I'm going to do my best to respectfully break this down and explain where the mistakes are.  First, I don't think Karma is tied for the same amount of FFA wins as Zyos, simply because a lot of the information from 2002-2004 has been lost so it would be difficult to definitively say that an OG such as Zyos has "X" amount of 1v1 or FFA event wins.  And I would disagree that Karma was only relevant in one title because as myself and other people in this thread have stated before, Karma won an event in Halo 3, and never placed outside of the top 8 in 2008.  Also it is incorrect to say that he was fortunate enough to be on the tD squad in Dallas '08; it was more like he was picked up by SK and them because he was still a top competitor and respected player.  But I will agree that their performance in Vegas of that year was less than stellur.  Also Karma actually won 5 team events in H2's lifespan, not 3.  Now you are correct that Karma's prime was only for about a 4 year period, but most people are wise to put him in their top 10 lists because he won 3 national championships in the second most difficult Halo game and won a significant amount of prize money doing so as well.

Sayian has something closer to like 22 events wins, I don't know where you got 16 from.  And no, he did not win all of them with the Ogres and Walshy, most of them yes, but he won separately in H1.  With him having that 2005 national championship and being a part of the longest winning streak in Halo esports history, that's why most older guys put him in the top 10.  I consider Saiyan more of a top 15 guy myself but of course that's opinionated and I can see why you would not put him anywhere near the top 10 when you take into account all the games that have come since he he left the scene.

Again, Zyos has won around 18 total events, I'm not sure where you got 10 from.  Now you are correct in saying that Zyos was only dominant from about 2003-2006, but the reason why many people consider him a top 10/top 15 GOAT is because he is a 2x WCG champion and the 2004 1v1 national champion.  His 2v2 and 4v4 play never compared to the Ogres but most people agree that he was the best singles player in his time.  And of course he won a few FFA and 4v4 events for H2 in 2005 as well.

FearitSelf did not win an event in 2007, where are you getting this information from?  Fis won two H3 events in 2008 with tD and then won the last 3 events of 2010 including the national championship with FB.  He never won in 2009; and he actually has been competing for a little more than 7 years.

Now Gandhi is not someone I put in my top 10 list, he did only compete for about 5 years (not three) and only had success in one title.  However he did help take down FB's dynasty and won nationals of that year in 2006.  Also, Gandhi has about 6 total events wins, not 4.  

You got a lot wrong about Strongside too.  From 2005 until he got hired by 343 in 2014, SS was a relevant top competitor in most people's eyes.  He won an FFA event in 2005, in 2006 he was the only one that could really compete with Karma in 1v1s, and in 2007 we all know him and FB didn't drop a single game at Vegas. Also the Halo 4 event you're think of was the Virgin Gaming Infinity Challenge.   And Side won H2A's first event, that PAX Prime Showdown in 2014; he has around 9 events wins I believe.  

Here's a explanation/rant regarding these players. Kinda gets off topic I guess.

I've heard from multiple people that Saiyan didn't care about Halo anymore. Back on the MLG forums people speculated that WoW had taken over his life but I've heard from closer sources that he was whipped by his girlfriend and gave up gaming all together.

Again this is an era where there were multiple events throughout the years. Fonzi had played for 3 years. He has 17 top 3 finishes in his 4v4 career and around 8 top 3 FFA finishes. He was dropped from Str8 Rippin following a third place finish in 2006 right before Str8 signed their contract. In 2007 he continued to team with Foulacy and a mixture of others that stayed in the top 16 throughout the season.

Foulacy has one more top 3 finish than Fonzi, but his FFA placings aren't anything notable. He went to two events for Halo 3 and again finished in 11th and 8th place, which aren't bad placings considering the placings of other pros at the time. Hell 13th place went to a friend of mine and some random am players at meadowlands 2008.

Killer N placed either first or second in every tournament he attended in 2004. He then didn't finish outside of top 8 in 2005 and 2006 with a majority of them being top 4 placings. It wasn't until 2007 did he drift off and get lower placings with what I would consider are worse rosters. He placed 19th at Halo 3's opener, which again was a weird event being the first competitive LAN of a new Halo title that didn't play like it's predecessor. Then unfortunately, and I won't go into many details here, but I remember reading his retirement blog that was really weird. I believe he had some personal/health problems that caused him to not give a fuck about anything really.

All in all, these guys each accomplished a lot in my opinion, despite not being mentioned on anyones top 10 lists. You have to realize that a lot of Halo players just really stopped caring about the next installment of the series because it was so much different and a lot less fun to them. Theres the story about Sergio just completely quitting and never coming back during a practice session on IGS. I remember matching a bunch of random Halo 2 semi pros in Halo 3 when it came out and none of them had good things to say about the game.

I won't be ignorant enough to say that if all these players continued to grind, they'd stay at the top forever, but I hardly feel that they couldn't hang and just quit because of their skill level. They lacked the passion or drive to compete in those games just like new pros would have no desire to prove themselves in older titles. They probably see no point and I don't blame them. I just don't care for when they discard a lot of Halo's history when the series has progressively gotten worse regarding it's competitive mechanics. (other reasons too) Even H2A was a complete shell of it's former self, but I bet people playing H2A wouldn't consider that.

I don't know many pros who have gone back and played Halo CE at a high level. The three I can think of are Roy, Lunchbox, and Ryanoob. I give Roy/Box a lot of respect for playing in the Beyond 2v2 even though it was MCC. They played Soulja and Hali and got absolutely destroyed by them in a somewhat humbling fashion. From the stream it looked like the twins realized this and weren't upset or anything, just impressed. I can somewhat respect Ryanoob because he had played OG on LAN with a top player, McDick, and a few other good people. I forget the quote, but he held the opinion that he was able to keep up and did fine playing with top people. A bunch of the series is uploaded on youtube and theres video evidence that this isn't quite the case. He was able to get kills, but all while doing almost everything else wrong. However, I'd imagine anyone who is on McDicks team has a high chance of succeeding.

Fonzi & Foulacy also won two 2v2 events in 2005. I agree with everything you said, it's hard to get that message across sometimes.  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

LOL at saying Zyos only mattered in one game.

Either you're completely ignorant or you are trolling.

You know what sucks about a lot of the new pros is that you really have no clue how good they are at aim skill. Every game they've played has had an absurd amount of bullet magnetism. You hardly see any shots that are really impressive because they didn't have to put the reticle right on the head or lead a shot perfectly like in Halo 1.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts in this thread but at least you can't really hide your bad attempt at trying to troll.  You simply don't even know much of competitive Halo as most of these statements are inaccurate and misleading.  I was going to type up why most of these things are wrong but you're not even worth my time.  Please go learn about Halo's offline tournament history before making more idiotic comments.

Wasn't an attempt at trolling. I was just highlighting how much of a circle jerk this thread is. I will let you guys go back to reminiscing about the halo 1/halo 2 era. And please @@BlackShadow you are kidding nobody everything you know and you learnt was through looking it up on halopedia, you are just reading off a stat sheet lol, you are no expert (neither am I) so your opinion means jack shit. With that said I will let the circle jerking continue. The players you say i am  ignorant about with the exception of FIS were relevant for 4 years maximum, so a game and year at most, 4 fucking years out of 14+, not exactly a great statistic there now is it,

Reddit+is+one+huge+circle+jerk+the+can+t

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Wasn't an attempt to troll was just highlighting how much of a circle jerk this thread is

Reddit+is+one+huge+circle+jerk+the+can+t

So a bunch of people agreeing on who they believe the top players of all time are is a circle jerk? Lol ok. If your opinion is different that's great. But getting mad at people because they agree with each other? That's dumb as hell.
  • Upvote (+1) 1