iWatty

Top 10 Halo Players of All Time

I don't think it's fair to try and discredit his h3 win because he was "fortunate to be on" the team.

And why are you using gandhi's top 10 as any basis when you didn't include some of his?  In my opinion all of gandhi's top 20 would still be ranked higher than ace.  

I'm not specifically arguing that Karma should be in the top 10 no matter what.  If you saw my list I didn't even include him, but I believe he is right around that point without a doubt.  There are others I believe can be argued.  But ace is nowhere near that list.  His inclusion is what I'm trying to understand.  

image.png

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Right I feel like this has gone in a loop, you know the thing about a top ten list is that it is subjective, because people place different numeric weights on different values, an emphasis on my list was longevity of success/career hence why naded made it and players like strongside did not, I think placing well across multiple titles as consistently as Ace has is seriously impressive, as very few have done the same, i.e snipedown did not do much throughout reach and the latter half of h3 (dominant apart from those blips though). 

But look I am bored of this, so we will agree to disagree

Right I feel like this has gone in a loop, you know the thing about a top ten list is that it is subjective, because people place different numeric weights on different values, an emphasis on my list was longevity of success/career hence why naded made it and players like strongside did not, I think placing well across multiple titles as consistently as Ace has is seriously impressive, as very few have done the same, i.e snipedown did not do much throughout reach and the latter half of h3 (dominant apart from those blips though). 

But look I am bored of this, so we will agree to disagree

Sorry, but this is the point of a public forum.  To discuss.  If we just threw out opinions and weren't allowed to comment on them we would just have an anonymous poll.  

I would also argue heinz, victory x, cloud, and legit are more deserving of the top 10 than ace based solely on your aforementioned criteria, which is presumably placing top 8 in numerous halos with a few wins sprinkled in.  Even FiS could be up there.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

So...you're just gonna ignore the fact that he won events in 2008 with two different teams and he won the national championship in his rookie year as well?  And he won another event in 2009.  Are you also gonna ignore that he was arguably the best player in H2A?  And was still pretty decent at Reach.  

You're right. I just kinda tacked that last part onto my post without thinking cause I figured people were going to question it based on H4. However, he still fits when not including it. My entire list is weighted on 4v4 event top 3's, obviously 1st place counting for the most but I didn't count anything lower than 3rd.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why Gandhi over Shockwave or Karma?

I could agree to Karma over Gandhi. I only really have my top 8 set in stone. 

I could agree to Karma over Gandhi. I only really have my top 8 set in stone. 

Id put Karma for being a beast while being stoned all the time and neighbor in my top 10

Well if I remember correctly, SK teamed with Neighbor on Triggers Down who also didn't show to be that good at H2, or at least not nearly as good as he was in H3. 

People say Snipedown was around in H2 but I don't remember that.

Neighbor won a tournament in H2, and was consistently top 3 with Str8 Rippin.  I'm pretty sure he was considered Str8's best player in 07, to the point where Carbon had to develop strategies specifically to counter him.  I've heard Ghandi talk about how they would keep him called out at all times just to get in his head.

Snipedown was a very good online kid in H2, but he was too young to attend tournaments.

I don't think you are correct with regards walshy, he won the first halo 3 event, and then I think he made the finals at least once more with Instinct. 

He made the finals with Carbon too.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Isn't that when Mackeo made the worst team decision in history and dropped Naded or whatever? 

It was supposed to be "FBI The Apocalypse". 

Still not worse than SK dropping Pistola.

Edit:  I really need to start using multiquote more.  Apologies, everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Neighbor won a tournament in H2, and was consistently top 3 with Str8 Rippin.  I'm pretty sure he was considered Str8's best player in 07, to the point where Carbon had to develop strategies specifically to counter him.  I've heard Ghandi talk about how they would keep him called out at all times just to get in his head.

Snipedown was a very good online kid in H2, but he was too young to attend tournaments.

Neighbor's placings with Str8 were 1, 2, 3, 7, 11. I'd argue that Legit was Str8's best player during that stretch. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm surprised you newer guys aren't bringing up Formal's name in this conversation.  

I thought about it for a hot second, just because of how insanely good he was in Reach and especially H4, but those games have garbage prestige/depth of competitive field.  But he did make my brainstorming list at least.

And to answer your question from earlier, with the exception of Penance TS, I do like Reach v7 better than H3 v8.  I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I just had a ton of fun playing v7, and those v7 tournaments were so freaking good.  Plus I always thought that Onslaught and Amp should have been removed when they added Heretic, because the gametypes were so redundant.

@@Cursed Lemon, good call.  I didn't remember early 07 Str8's roster.  I thought they had that late 07 roster all season.  I was referring to Chicago and on.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm surprised you newer guys aren't bringing up Formal's name in this conversation.  

Formal's halo career revolved around 2 games, not a large enough sample to determine that he his one greatest of all time, greatest FPS player sure but not halo player.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Formal has won a 2 events outside of the AGL days (one being the MCC Invitational), including him is almost on the same level as people putting Ace and Naded on their lists.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Uh, greatest console fps player, not fps in general.  

Apologies that is indeed what I meant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ok here's a question for you guys, I asked Ogre 2 awhile back who was better 2005 Saiyan or 2007 Strongside? Who do you think he picked?

And I've decided to do the full TEN! In Order.........Ogre 2, Ogre 1, Ola, Roy, Walshy, Lunchbox, SnipeDown, Saiyan, Lethul, ShockWave.

• Upvote (+1) 1

no they didn't even really play h1 when we did back then

we never lost a series, and never even lost a game on lan host.  I think cujjer is referring to single game losses off host to certain combos at a winter lan.  only game we lost in tournament was a 2v2 bc ctf game from red base to some cali guys black 3lk and i dont remember the other guy

I wish I could properly articulate how absurd it is to have never lost a game of 2s on host. It still blows my mind whenever I think about it.

Tom is the GOAT.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Id put Karma for being a beast while being stoned all the time and neighbor in my top 10

I still never get this.  What makes Neighbor a GOAT?

Neighbor was Str8 sniper and prolly a top 3 sniper in 2007.  But I think most would agree that Legit was the best overall player on Str8's roster in 2007.

You're right. I just kinda tacked that last part onto my post without thinking cause I figured people were going to question it based on H4. However, he still fits when not including it. My entire list is weighted on 4v4 event top 3's, obviously 1st place counting for the most but I didn't count anything lower than 3rd.

You know Snipedown has like 16 1st place event wins in 4v4 though right?

He made the finals with Carbon too.

2 more times with Instinct in 2008.  One time with Carbon in Dallas 2009.

Still not worse than SK dropping Pistola.

Edit:  I really need to start using multiquote more.  Apologies, everyone.

Multiquote isn't working for me for some reason.  That's why I've been posting like this.

I thought about it for a hot second, just because of how insanely good he was in Reach and especially H4, but those games have garbage prestige/depth of competitive field.  But he did make my brainstorming list at least.

And to answer your question from earlier, with the exception of Penance TS, I do like Reach v7 better than H3 v8.  I know that's an unpopular opinion, but I just had a ton of fun playing v7, and those v7 tournaments were so freaking good.  Plus I always thought that Onslaught and Amp should have been removed when they added Heretic, because the gametypes were so redundant.

@@Cursed Lemon, good call.  I didn't remember early 07 Str8's roster.  I thought they had that late 07 roster all season.  I was referring to Chicago and on.

I absolutely concur with your statement on Amp and Onslaught.  Too much hype and popularity, not enough depth nor meta.  And to me, Reach v7/H3 v8 have the same entertainment value in terms of watchability.  Although I think I enjoyed H3 only because the maps were a little better than the gray wasteland of competitive Reach.  Basic color palettes in forge could have done so much for that game.

Formal's halo career revolved around 2 games, not a large enough sample to determine that he his one greatest of all time, greatest FPS player sure but not halo player.

Formal won an event in H2A as well.

Formal has won a 2 events outside of the AGL days (one being the MCC Invitational), including him is almost on the same level as people putting Ace and Naded on their lists.

I can definitely agree with that.  I'd put those guys on the same tier level.

Ok here's a question for you guys, I asked Ogre 2 awhile back who was better 2005 Saiyan or 2007 Strongside? Who do you think he picked?

2007 Strongside.  Not even close in my opinion

And I've decided to do the full TEN! In Order.........Ogre 2, Ogre 1, Ola, Roy, Walshy, Lunchbox, SnipeDown, Saiyan, Lethul, ShockWave.

I like this list, I like it a lot.

I wish I could properly articulate how absurd it is to have never lost a game of 2s on host. It still blows my mind whenever I think about it.

Tom is the GOAT.

Your top 10.  Go.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know Snipedown has like 16 1st place event wins in 4v4 though right?

Yeah, that's why he's 6th on my list.

Not in order:

Ogre 1, Ogre 2, Walshy, Pistola, Roy, Lunchbox, T2, Shockwave, Lethul, Snipedown 

• Upvote (+1) 1