Sign in to follow this  
TTUVAPOR

This Gaming Era's Issue is Lack of Speed

Tonight I watched briefly a 4 min video of Lawbreakers, a new FPS from CliffyB I believe. After about one minute in, I skipped ahead to 3 mins to see if there was anything different and nope, the movement system in the game is slow as snails. Then before I logged on to TB tonight, I saw the front page say GOW 4 MP trailer, I watched it, all of it...not impressed. A bunch of flashy gimmicky execution moves with barely any actual raw gameplay, and the gameplay I did see was slow.

Then I go back and play Halo 5...even with sprint, the game is slow. So then I fired up Quake Live on Steam, I pulled up the map Used and Abused and just ran around strafe jumping, trying not to hit any snags and make my rocket jumps, etc...and there was this feeling of speed in the game. Then I played a duel and noticed that the speed of the game is what really makes the game challenging.

I'm an NHL fan, specifically the Detroit Redwings and last night they lost to the Tampa Bay Lightning and while I only got to watch up to the end of the second period...the Wings were obviously slower than the Lightning, it was showing big time.

Speed is what makes things challenging and skillful. The speed forces a person to have to think faster, and when you have to think faster...your skill shows because you're being forced to think on a whim, act on instinct, on your natural talent.

This is why the 40 yard dash in the NFL is used as a filtering point to determine who's got it and who doesn't.

Video games need to go back to this core design element, speed. It was relevant back in the late 90s and early 2000s, but recently since 2007, games have become much slower paced, and I can't tell if it's because they're focusing on accessibility or what, but to me, a lack of speed in an FPS game where your decision making skills are important, just makes for a really flat and dull game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Indie Arena shooters are where its at. 

Don't be expecting a true arena shooter made by a AAA developer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Indie Arena shooters are where its at. 

Don't be expecting a true arena shooter made by a AAA developer.

Everytime i try to play that game, I just want to play Quake Live.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What is your opinion Overwatch. To me that game is the FPS that takes everything that was lacking with FPS and does it right. I'm not a fake of Unreal Tournament or Quake because it's a little too chaotic for me. I like Overwatch because they take ideas from games like this and what makes an FPS fun and just did it right. The game has characters and each character is dynamic. Like playing one character with a grappling hook and sniper. Or a character who has double jump and the ability to climb walls. Since not every character can do these movement options it adds new level of play to the game. It's hard to explain what I mean by that. I was watching the recent videos on what they wanted Overwatch to be/was based off of and it amazes me tbh. They only have 3 gamemodes because they wanted to have the Heroes be the core focus of the gametype. Have your support character and or other dynamic characters. It's also pretty competitive too. 

I can't say I like a "true arena shooter" if that is games like Quake/Unreal Tournament. I do like something more than your average shooter though. Which is again why i like Overwatch. I played the beta weekend a few weeks ago.. and well TBH It's the most I played an FPS since the Halo 3/CoD MW2 days (My 2 first FPS experiences). And I was playing alone. Which I can only imagine how much fun I would have had with friends and more coordination. Sorry for the rambling though. 

One thing I don't understand is how CS:GO is such popular FPS game when it's so slow. I don't like it because the bloom and the speed reduction when shot. Sure I haven't played enough of it to be good at it, but it's just too slow for me to want to play more. I'm not sure if speed is what the gaming industry lacks, but it's definitely something. Again I'd put Overwatch on radar if I was you. 

Here I linked the first video in a three part series of how Overwatch came to be. The second one focuses on games they were inspired by. It's a lot of Quake, CS, and you know all of those 90-early 2000 shooters. 

What is your opinion Overwatch. To me that game is the FPS that takes everything that was lacking with FPS and does it right. I'm not a fake of Unreal Tournament or Quake because it's a little too chaotic for me. I like Overwatch because they take ideas from games like this and what makes an FPS fun and just did it right. The game has characters and each character is dynamic. Like playing one character with a grappling hook and sniper. Or a character who has double jump and the ability to climb walls. Since not every character can do these movement options it adds new level of play to the game. It's hard to explain what I mean by that. I was watching the recent videos on what they wanted Overwatch to be/was based off of and it amazes me tbh. They only have 3 gamemodes because they wanted to have the Heroes be the core focus of the gametype. Have your support character and or other dynamic characters. It's also pretty competitive too. 

I can't say I like a "true arena shooter" if that is games like Quake/Unreal Tournament. I do like something more than your average shooter though. Which is again why i like Overwatch. I played the beta weekend a few weeks ago.. and well TBH It's the most I played an FPS since the Halo 3/CoD MW2 days (My 2 first FPS experiences). And I was playing alone. Which I can only imagine how much fun I would have had with friends and more coordination. Sorry for the rambling though. 

One thing I don't understand is how CS:GO is such popular FPS game when it's so slow. I don't like it because the bloom and the speed reduction when shot. Sure I haven't played enough of it to be good at it, but it's just too slow for me to want to play more. I'm not sure if speed is what the gaming industry lacks, but it's definitely something. Again I'd put Overwatch on radar if I was you. 

Here I linked the first video in a three part series of how Overwatch came to be. The second one focuses on games they were inspired by. It's a lot of Quake, CS, and you know all of those 90-early 2000 shooters. 

CS:GO is a tactical shooter and there is deep meta concerning the maps and buying strategies. As far as gun skill goes you have to know how the recoil works on each gun, and how to move or come to a quick stop with a certain weapon so you can maintain accuracy. 

For example you dont buy a rifle if you cant get the body armor, if you get shot while shooting the rifle the weapon will become inaccurate, then you have to know how your weapon works. If you have an AK47 a two shot burst works well for consistent shots and if you're good enough spray at multiple opponents then go for it. Also the AK47 is great for one shotting people especially when you peek at people. Terrorists are usually on the offensive so if a terrorist peeks a counter-terrorist, even if he doesnt get the first shot if he can get the headshot he wins, because the M4A1 can not kill with a single headshot like the Ak47.

CS:GO is a tactical shooter and there is deep meta concerning the maps and buying strategies. As far as gun skill goes you have to know how the recoil works on each gun, and how to move or come to a quick stop with a certain weapon so you can maintain accuracy. 

For example you dont buy a rifle if you cant get the body armor, if you get shot while shooting the rifle the weapon will become inaccurate, then you have to know how your weapon works. If you have an AK47 a two shot burst works well for consistent shots and if you're good enough spray at multiple opponents then go for it. Also the AK47 is great for one shotting people especially when you peek at people. Terrorists are usually on the offensive so if a terrorist peeks a counter-terrorist, even if he doesnt get the first shot if he can get the headshot he wins, because the M4A1 can not kill with a single headshot like the Ak47.

I figured there was something deep that I wasn't seeing in the game. Though I can't say it'd make me like the game anymore than I already do.

Speed is in different forms.

CSGO's speed is the damage model...you deal damage very quickly. The slow movement speed is on purpose due to the weight of the weapon you're holding, thus switching to your pistol or knife to gain the speed boost is a risk vs reward.

I figured there was something deep that I wasn't seeing in the game. Though I can't say it'd make me like the game anymore than I already do.

CS:GO is definitely something different from an Arena Shooter. I respect CS:GO for what it is and what it has done for eSports but I do still like Arena shooters better.

CS:GO is definitely something different from an Arena Shooter. I respect CS:GO for what it is and what it has done for eSports but I do still like Arena shooters better.

Arena shooters are chess, at least in a 1v1 situation.

The arena shooter is basically spawn and go get things and prevent the other team from getting those things. That's arena in a nutshell.

I don't know if it's the community culture, or the dev philosophy, or the market, or just bad luck, but something is keeping arena shooters from achieving success relative to the quality of the gameplay.

I think accessibility and supporting features have been too low of priority for arena shooters up to this point. Not in terms of gameplay, but in terms of the systems that facilitate the gameplay. Tutorials, matchmaking, rankings systems, easy access to settings, progression systems, customization...all of these things, if implemented in a non-intrusive way, would go very far towards easing new players into the game and maintaining a healthy population around a particular arena shooter. I personally am really rooting for Reflex. CPMA is the coolest thing ever and I'd be so happy if that style of movement and combat started rising in popularity.

At the same time though, when I look at how the RTS genre has also struggled, it makes me think that gamers just don't like challenging games with high skill caps anymore.

i don't think speed is the issue, halo is slow yet i find the pace much faster than most modern, movement ability focused shooters these days. there is less perceptible competition in-game in modern shooters, engagements have less value and every action has less impact on the game, less pressure, less pace. i feel aside from quake and quake clones the shooters today are faster in movement, but have less thought, less punishment, less calculation and prediction, less management / multitasking, less influence on the outcome etc.

the locus of control is moving further away from the player, even without randomness and imo it's because of factors such as complexity in map and mechanic design being less important due to power off spawn, less variables to play with because of power off spawn and more abilities to the player to the point there is less value in execution, and manipulation of other players, since abilities are easy to perform but difficult to punish, unlike quake where you try to acquire power off spawn or through performance.

the focus on empowering the player has devalued the competitive merit of the game, for very much the same reason as items are in smash, perks / loadouts in cod or slot machines, no matter how poor you perform with more options at your disposal you'll at least get some lucky streaks.

games are always meant for the general audience, and getting shit on is bad business (at least that's what i think the devs think), however lol, dota 2 and CS:GO are the biggest games atm and they are competitive, dunno why AAA console games cling to the everyone is a winner mentality when there are other avenues to enrich a players experience. 

Maybe its just time to switch genres? Shooters have had a lot of issues, especially console wise but other genres are flourishing when it comes to fast tempoed games