Sign in to follow this  
FlizzyFletch

Halo Pro Player Spotlight #5: Cratos

I'm somewhat conflicted about this piece.

On one hand, you've managed to render Cratos, a controversial figure in the competitive halo community, as a genuine human being and not the online personality many have experienced.  I would even go so far as to say my perception of him from this article is not even a matter of how you've curated the questions and answers, but rather a testament to his good will and mild nature.  I truly have a refreshed perspective of Cratos as a player and a person.

On the other hand however, I came here expecting juicy details and perhaps a bit of controversy.  I mean, this team placed second and immediately disbanded.  Cratos even eludes to the team wanting to change well before worlds.  I want to know what happened with the group between xgames, regionals, and worlds.  This is the team that defined what it means to grind in halo 5 and now in retrospect wishes they put more time in before the finals.

Maybe I'm underestimating Cratos' personality and his respect for his teammates', no matter what happened between them.  Or perhaps I'm fishing for gossip that doesn't exist.  

Fletch this has been a nice writeup and I think many of us are excited to see this finally emerge.  But I would ask in future interviews to get more personal, be more direct and ask the difficult questions, if the interviewee will allow it of course.  This article has left me wanting just a little bit more from this particular spotlight.

Really looking forward to more of these.

• Upvote (+1) 4

...Bruh

by drop I mean not see them since this game came out or went from everyday to once every few weeks.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Excellent job dude :)

Thanks my dude!

I'm somewhat conflicted about this piece.

On one hand, you've managed to render Cratos, a controversial figure in the competitive halo community, as a genuine human being and not the online personality many have experienced.  I would even go so far as to say my perception of him from this article is not even a matter of how you've curated the questions and answers, but rather a testament to his good will and mild nature.  I truly have a refreshed perspective of Cratos as a player and a person.

On the other hand however, I came here expecting juicy details and perhaps a bit of controversy.  I mean, this team placed second and immediately disbanded.  Cratos even eludes to the team wanting to change well before worlds.  I want to know what happened with the group between xgames, regionals, and worlds.  This is the team that defined what it means to grind in halo 5 and now in retrospect wishes they put more time in before the finals.

Maybe I'm underestimating Cratos' personality and his respect for his teammates', no matter what happened between them.  Or perhaps I'm fishing for gossip that doesn't exist.  

Fletch this has been a nice writeup and I think many of us are excited to see this finally emerge.  But I would ask in future interviews to get more personal, be more direct and ask the difficult questions, if the interviewee will allow it of course.  This article has left me wanting just a little bit more from this particular spotlight.

Really looking forward to more of these.

I understand exactly how you feel. I was really...hesitant on how to approach this interview with Cratos because prior to this I've had mixed emotions on the guy, and also I know his reputation and attitude. After discussing with the guy, I'm thrilled to say that I too have a refreshed perspective, and even find myself a fan. I think the guy means well, and I think he's a really genuine guy, although still a cocky nature which I respect as part of the persona.

As far as the content of the interview goes...Its really hard as the writer to get that sort of...juicy intel that everybody craves simply because I can only extract as much as the player wants to give. Its largely on the player to take it above and beyond, and up until now, I've just tried to create the platform to do so. That being said, I think I can do more. Genuinely I believe I can create an atmosphere where the information is more informative and personal and its something I'm working on. I think I'm going to alter how I structure these going forward behind the scenes in order to work on a more personal level with the Pro Players. I dont think you're misunderstanding anything, because I feel the same way about this Spotlight.

For how delayed this spotlight was, I feel like it was one of my weaker pieces of work. I'll make sure to not allow that to happen again, Promise:) Thanks for checking these out and continuing to support them. I really appreciate the sincere feedback.

Favorite Halo:  Halo Reach

illK6U.gif

This was incredible.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've always liked Cratos, reminds me of some of my friends: an ass on the outside but actually very well meaning. This just cements his place as one of my favorite players.

Thank you Flizzy for this installment and I eagerly look forward to the rest!

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've always liked Cratos, reminds me of some of my friends: an ass on the outside but actually very well meaning. This just cements his place as one of my favorite players.

Thank you Flizzy for this installment and I eagerly look forward to the rest!

Thanks for checking them out! Glad you're enjoying them!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Great content but there's really no reason to not clean up the grammar/punctuation, right?  This is pretty standard for printed interviews

• Upvote (+1) 3

Genuinely I believe I can create an atmosphere where the information is more informative and personal and its something I'm working on. I think I'm going to alter how I structure these going forward behind the scenes in order to work on a more personal level with the Pro Players

Scented candles and dimmed lights?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Great content but there's really no reason to not clean up the grammar/punctuation, right?  This is pretty standard for printed interviews

Its traditionally not something I've done for the prior spotlights, but its something I'm going to do moving forward. I battled myself on this one prior to publishing.

Scented candles and dimmed lights?

@@LethuL showed me the ways.

Awesome write up. Thank you for taking the time to do this! Suggestion I have: Maybe link the previous player spotlights so that people can go back and read the rest of your work easily.  :smiley:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Awesome write up. Thank you for taking the time to do this! Suggestion I have: Maybe link the previous player spotlights so that people can go back and read the rest of your work easily.  :smiley:

Good idea! I'll make that edit now!

Good piece Flizzy.

I'm kinda shocked by Cratos's arrogance, not saying he is bad, not at all, but pretending to be close to the best?

I remember super hard chokes for Allegiance cause of him.

I would also loved to hear more about why he wanted to split even before the Finals.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good piece Flizzy.  

The only issue i have with these pieces is that the answers are sometimes a little short and flat.  Give me deets damnit! But that is on the Pro's answering the questions, not you obviously so you don't have any control over that.

I'll say this, Cratos is one cocky m'fer all the time, not just in game. As a fan i like to see a little more humility in players except when they are actually playing competitively and trying to get in the other team's heads.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Questions were far too cookie cutter. He answers a question about forming the team saying him and Suspector were top 3, completely leaving Nadeds name and the fact he secured the org out of it. The follow up questions just kill momentum and look like they were the questions you were asking no matter how he responded. So many chances to pry safely and instead it looks like Brav or some other yes man was doing the interview. Glad these happen but they could be so much better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Could I suggest that you format/edit the raw text (at least I'm assuming that's why the responses tend to be so variable grammatically) from interviewees to make it read better? Currently it comes off like a very quick IM conversation, which hurts the quality.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good piece Flizzy.  

The only issue i have with these pieces is that the answers are sometimes a little short and flat.  Give me deets damnit! But that is on the Pro's answering the questions, not you obviously so you don't have any control over that.

I'll say this, Cratos is one cocky m'fer all the time, not just in game. As a fan i like to see a little more humility in players except when they are actually playing competitively and trying to get in the other team's heads.

Questions were far too cookie cutter. He answers a question about forming the team saying him and Suspector were top 3, completely leaving Nadeds name and the fact he secured the org out of it. The follow up questions just kill momentum and look like they were the questions you were asking no matter how he responded. So many chances to pry safely and instead it looks like Brav or some other yes man was doing the interview. Glad these happen but they could be so much better.

Notes taken. This will be addressed and fixed in the next Spotlight!

Could I suggest that you format/edit the raw text (at least I'm assuming that's why the responses tend to be so variable grammatically) from interviewees to make it read better? Currently it comes off like a very quick IM conversation, which hurts the quality.

Absolutely note taken. This will also be addressed in the next spotlight.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Good work @@FlizzyFletch, thanks for bringing us these. He's definitely cocky in his opinion of himself and his team, but part of that comes with the territory I suppose.

For feedback: I'd also suggest trying to personalize it a bit--I've conducted interviews for work through written questions and it's not as good as vocal, or at least not pre-written questions, as it can come off kind of generic, like they're filling out a form that everyone answers nearly the same aside from the opinions responses. I don't know if you sent him a list of questions to just fill out, but the best interviews, I'd say, are organic ones with questions that emerge during the course of the interview, following up with further questions if you find an interesting thread to pull on that can lead to more interesting responses. 

I realize that's harder to set up for both people scheduling wise, but if not a Skype interview, maybe at least live IM, if that's not what you did. If it is, yeah, follow up on things to, as people have said, get some more individualized answers for each interview. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good work @@FlizzyFletch, thanks for bringing us these. He's definitely cocky in his opinion of himself and his team, but part of that comes with the territory I suppose.

For feedback: I'd also suggest trying to personalize it a bit--I've conducted interviews for work through written questions and it's not as good as vocal, or at least not pre-written questions, as it can come off kind of generic, like they're filling out a form that everyone answers nearly the same aside from the opinions responses. I don't know if you sent him a list of questions to just fill out, but the best interviews, I'd say, are organic ones with questions that emerge during the course of the interview, following up with further questions if you find an interesting thread to pull on that can lead to more interesting responses. 

I realize that's harder to set up for both people scheduling wise, but if not a Skype interview, maybe at least live IM, if that's not what you did. If it is, yeah, follow up on things to, as people have said, get some more individualized answers for each interview. 

Appreciate the feedback man! I've addressed this issue and it'll be fixed going forward:)