Sign in to follow this  
Katastrophe

Ideal Ranking System [v2]

Hope this system is implemented, the 1-50 is not very accurate and people stop playing once they get the 50.

The "League Play" and Leaderboards will make the rankings more interesting and fun.

My only complaint is that k/d is even shown.  Honestly imagine how much better of team players people would become if they only focused on win %.

My only complaint is that k/d is even shown. Honestly imagine how much better of team players people would become if they only focused on win %.

Never underestimate post-game stats. It just has to be made clear that winnin > stat whoring. Halo Reach and Halo 4 failed to do that.

I miss Halo 2's "Hit %" scoreboard SO much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I miss Halo 2's "Hit %" scoreboard SO much.

This. It's what helped evolved me into what I am, both in and out of gaming. I don't want to miss much, if at all. I mean, I've played sports for a total combined years greater than what I've actually been alive for. I pitched in baseball, played quarterback in football, point guard in basketball and goalie in soccer. I thrive on precision. If I can't be precise, I lose my team the game. That's the way I've always played Halo and having the hit % just reinforced what I was already learning through sports

I'm not surprised by the lack of discussion on this thread; you've covered pretty much everything. Most people would just settle for a 1-50 system, but this ELO system would work so much better. I hated winning a game in Halo 3 and seeing no change in rank... It was frustrating and at times took away the incentive to play. The system you've detailed seems as though it would be much more rewarding.

I hope Josh comes up with something similar (if not identical). Great ideas, Kat.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The issue I have here is that we're all frantically scrambling to find a replacement for the 1-50 system solely because of the stupid way in which it has been implemented in the past. 

Halo 2 - completely dominated by cheaters

Halo 3 - far too easy to rank up, began a long process of Trueskill bullshit

Reach - stupid system that adopted NONE of the benefits of the division-style system

Halo 4 - lol 

Halo 5 will have dedicated servers, which (almost) completely eliminates the cheating aspect. Boosting/smurfing will never be completely cleansed from any system, and frankly I don't feel like boosting or the whole account selling issue is even a problem - if you want to kill account selling, just make it so that a player who doesn't play any games in a playlist for x-amount of days gets their name stripped off the leader boards until they play again. 

The 1-50 system was ruined in the people's eyes during Halo 3 when everybody and their mother could get a 50 with one hand tied behind their back. If you go back to the resolution of the H2 1-50 system, where having a 35 was a very respectable rank, then the benefits of having an Elo system in place more or less evaporate. We need to try to fix what we had before we decide it's not worth salvaging. 

Complete bullshit.  There was cheating at very high levels but also a few legit level 50s.  The reason cheating was so bad was because the ranks meant something.  I'll take that any day. 

While the Halo 2 system is good (much better than Halo 3, once you look at the math behind it), it's still a 1-50 system. Like I told Lemon, that kind of rank promotes a bell curve, in theory. As in there should be just as many legit 1s as legit 50s, with most players settling around 25. But with a progressive system, that just doesn't happen, especially when it's best on win/lose and everyone ranks up as a team.

The other flaw is that 50 ranks is just too small and doesn't allow for a lot of diversity between similarly skilled players. Like, we all know that every Halo 3 pro had a 50 in the MLG playlist... but who was the best? Nobody can say for sure. A system not limited to 50 ranks would allow you to say "Oh, Pistola has the highest rating in the Team Throwdown playlist, no questions asked." The other bonus is that the way I outlined it to scale the boundaries of each division based on each previous season's end means that the system is constantly flexing and contracting to ensure that your rank/division is a true measure of where you stand within the current population.

You ever play for awhile, get a high rank, then disappear for a few weeks and come back to notice you're sucking? This system will see that and lower your rank to compensate. But know that it's much easier to see improvement in this system than a 1-50 system. I'm sure a lot of us had those experiences where it felt like we were on a winning/losing streak but not actually going anywhere, but then we lose/win one and immediately move down/up. You'd more accurately see that process unfold.

• Upvote (+1) 1