Sign in to follow this  
stonerfurby

aiming feels "Heavy" in game

What up fam

So I asked this in the pro league thread a few days ago and didn't get any response so figured I'd make a thread and see if anyones experiencing something similar.

Started about 3-4 days like a flip of a switch but my gun feels really (for lack of a better word) "heavy" while I'm aiming. The best way I can describe it is if I ogre twitch, my reticle lags behind and is not as responsive as it should be. It's bad enough that it's affecting my gameplay tremendously and has me nerd raging so hard. I've already messed with my dead zones and that hasn't helped either.

The same thing was happening about a month or two ago and then one day my aiming felt perfect again and has been normal since. It's not my connection, I don't think it's my controller (fairly new scuf),  and I'm not imaging things so I'm wondering if anyone has any similar experiences or what? Is it possible for me to be experiencing server issues that aren't widespread problems everyone is having? Anyone have a suggestion for solving my issue?

-dylan

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm still putting my money on input lag, most likely caused by V-Sync.

Go play a PC game and turn on V-Sync and Double/Triple buffering and you'll get the same heavy aiming feeling.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Go play a PC game and turn on V-Sync and Double/Triple buffering and you'll get the same heavy aiming feeling.

This. I'm experiencing what you are OP and this is what it feels like to me, I'm no expert though.

I think it's something different, I have tested v-sync with a controller on a few PC games like BF4 and the controller aiming still feels way better than H5. 

The problem is whatever they did to the aiming after the beta, it has been confirmed that they changed it I just don't think they said exactly what. It's one of the worst aiming mechanics I have ever played on for a console shooter. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's a little worse than Halo 3's aiming, but better than both Far Cry Instincts and Perfect Dark Zero.  Not good company to keep, though.

OP, make sure your TV is set to game mode if it's not already, and then maybe try playing around with your aim acceleration.  I found 4 to be the sweet spot. And of course make sure your deadzones are set to 0%

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's something different, I have tested v-sync with a controller on a few PC games like BF4 and the controller aiming still feels way better than H5. 

The problem is whatever they did to the aiming after the beta, it has been confirmed that they changed it I just don't think they said exactly what. It's one of the worst aiming mechanics I have ever played on for a console shooter. 

Enabled Triple buffering?

Sensitivity curve. There's been a bunch of posts about that including my own bitching and @@ZerueLX11 and the boys at xim4 have some posts about how the sensitivity curve is fucked compared to other shooters, which is why it feels janky and hard to get used to.

Honestly this only popped up for me yesterday after the update. Every few games my aim just feels sluggish, and i dont remember ever noticing that before. Also had a ton of lag issues yesterday: people rubberbanding, my screen freezing for a few seconds at a time usually in gunfights and coming out of the freezing screen dead, No sound effects in the pre warzone cutscenes except for the announcer, and more frequent acquiring data screens.... Any1 else getting any of these? 

Same shit today 

I've gone from playing since release, grinding and really started learning the mechanics of this game in the last 2 weeks or so, getting my nostalgic halo passion back, to wanting to quit the game AGAIN now. This is worse than H4 and Reach for me, at least those games were just shitty in comparison but it didn't have to do with aiming mechanics. If I can't play at the level I'm used to and there's literally nothing I can do to solve it then there's no reason for me to play and it fucking sucks.

Its not server based. Thats just placebo and the common myth that people are now regurgitating. If you know anything about online multiplayer shooters, you know that aiming is a "client side" thing and would never be affected by connection.

H5's shit aiming probably the result of a few things:

1) Some sort of V-sync

2) Dynamic resolution scaling (alters native resolution constantly which would definitely introduce input lag) This wasn't in use during the beta which is probably why the aiming felt a lot more responsive back then.

3) awkward sensitivity curves/acceleration.

I've noticed that if you pay attention to the input lag/shitty aiming then you notice it more. When you try to forget about it (I "reset" my brain by playing Octagon/CTF warmup), you'll notice that your brain seems to compensate and adapt to the slight delay. I also find that when I've been playing a ton in a short amount of time, my aim drastically improves and I almost forget about the bad aiming. Obviously this is because our brains can compensate.

This may sound "out there" but I also notice that when my hands get greasy/sweaty my aim starts to feel really sloppy and laggy. If I wash my hands with soap or use rubbing alcohol to wipe off my controller I notice my aim feel WAY more controllable since my thumbs are 100% gripped to the thumbsticks. I know it sounds really weird, but try it. Also try gripping your controller tighter. I find it helps me control my aiming better in this game specifically.

The most important thing IMO is that you need to almost "pretend" the aim is responsive, and your coordination will follow. The more you pay attention to how sluggish everything feels, the more you'll notice it. 

Directly from the XIM4 forums from an Admin.... 343i fucked the aiming.

UPDATE: I've been seeing posts about "problematic controllers" and "deadzones" as being the problem with Halo 5's aiming system. That's not it.

343i, I'll make it easy for you. Look at the picture below. Here is a partial map of the stick positions where you jump in turn velocity by 2.34x. For example, if you are aiming at someone and you happen to be at 32336,0 and you accidentally nudge the stick to 32337,0 then your reticle will suddenly jump by over 2 times the speed you were just turning at. Even worse, it'll accelerate to that 2.34x speed over ~1 second. Unless you have incredible muscle memory, how could any gamer reliably know where that point is?

The fix is:

1) Keep your dead-zone and positional acceleration curves

2) Remove the velocity jump

3) Remove the time-based acceleration at maximum

4) Increase maximum horizontal turn speed by at least 3x (make sensitivity knob go up to 30)

UPDATE: We released a new ST for Halo 5 that models the built-in velocity jump differently. XIM4 Manager will automatically download the update. 

Please copy your Config Settings from your old Halo 5 Config, create a new Halo 5 Config, and then paste your Settings.

Tap the center of the Halo 5 icon in the Manager HUD and confirm that it says: Halo5-X1.2. 

The Halo community (XIM and controller gamers alike) have been talking about Halo 5's surprise changes to how it aims. XIM's Smart Translator system gives us an insight into how every game developer designs their aiming systems. I can tell you after studying the data that 343 has done a great disservice to the Halo community.

343 changed Halo aim by splitting the stick into 2 separate regions: aim and turn. They also chose this point seeming arbitrarily as well before maximum stick deflection. Meaning, any player that accidentally goes beyond this point (such as during the heat of a fire fight) will find their reticle jump. The speed gap between "aim" and "turn" is very large. Instead of moving towards a good example of an aiming system (i.e. CoD and BF), they went completely the other way.

Something as fundamental as aim should be customizable. There is no single solution for everyone (certainly not what they changed here). It is our hope that 343 will realize this mistake and fix their game. 

In the mean time, the XIM community will work to find a way around the large velocity dead area 343 put into the game. One way is to make the transition from "aim" to "turn" deliberate. To do so, a Ballistic Curve can be used to cut off the "turn" part of the aiming system like so (this curve assumes you are running the latest Beta):

Code: [select]

>>> XIM4 [Mouse Ballistics] START PASTE >>>

X4MB:AAAAGgA0AC4AMAAwAC4AMgAwADEANQAwADgAMQA2AAoUHigyPEZQWmRueIKMjIyMjIyM:X4MB

<<< XIM4 END PASTE <<<

This will give you consistent aiming, but, you'll realize how slow this "aim" part of their system is.

To handle "turn", XIM4 needs to know your intent. One way is to map buttons to right and left turn (under Advanced Mouse Settings). However, we'd like to see if we can find a better way. If you have any ideas, please share here.