Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

Red Shift might be a good one for 1v1.

@@Teapot, do you know if the boxes have 1.5 LE on them too, or is it only Final? Bc 1.5 has some other really good maps that Final left out in favor of Wizard and Rat Race...

Also, @@CyReN, the redirects on mobile are back again, and they're out of control. Not sure if you were tracking so I figured I'd bring it to your attention.

Red Shift might be a good one for 1v1.

@@Teapot, do you know if the boxes have 1.5 LE on them too, or is it only Final? Bc 1.5 has some other really good maps that Final left out in favor of Wizard and Rat Race...

Also, @@CyReN, the redirects on mobile are back again, and they're out of control. Not sure if you were tracking so I figured I'd bring it to your attention.

If its between 1.5 or final, does this mean y'all aren't doing NHE? Or is that not separate?

I agree with all your points, @@Teapot and @@stunt_man. There are a lot of negatives, and the main positive--needing less people to play--would be inconsequential for players who are used to pulling together a LAN.

As for Quake maps that could work for 1v1, maybe Toxicity, since it's so small. And I can imagine interesting decisions if you put OS at Mega on Lost World, so you can choose to nade jump up a level or leave a false sound cue. These might be even better suited for 2v2, though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If its between 1.5 or final, does this mean y'all aren't doing NHE? Or is that not separate?

I can't say for certain but McDick was pretty adamant about all stations being NHE

I agree with all your points, @@Teapot and @@stunt_man. There are a lot of negatives, and the main positive--needing less people to play--would be inconsequential for players who are used to pulling together a LAN.

As for Quake maps that could work for 1v1, maybe Toxicity, since it's so small. And I can imagine interesting decisions if you put OS at Mega on Lost World, so you can choose to nade jump up a level or leave a false sound cue. These might be even better suited for 2v2, though.

Boi you have literally forgotten maps in Quake 1. DM4 DM4 DM4 DM4

I can't say for certain but McDick was pretty adamant about all stations being NHE

I would hope so, removes the only non competitive aspect of a Halo 1 LAN.

Also, is this a more traditional group who don't do the new maps or are those gonna be played too? Excited to watch this on stream

Boi you have literally forgotten maps in Quake 1. DM4 DM4 DM4 DM4

I would hope so, removes the only non competitive aspect of a Halo 1 LAN.

Also, is this a more traditional group who don't do the new maps or are those gonna be played too? Excited to watch this on stream

You'll probably see Downrush some and that's it.  I've lanned with most or all of the better players going, and a few of them play Downrush, not many.  Only a handful of people play any of the other new maps.  If I had to guess, I'm the only one that regularly played every new map at one point, and I can't go this year.  I make new players that lan with me play the new maps.  Also Downrush is the only new map NHE capable at this point. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

There's no reason to ignore good UT maps either.  Sentinel, for instance, might make an awesome 1v1 map as well.

I forgot about NHE.  Is that it's own version of the game, like 1.5 and Final are?  If so, what maps does it come with?  And would there be any way to do an NHE similar to 1.5, that essentially had double the amount of maps by switching to the new maps from the main menu?

You'll probably see Downrush some and that's it.  I've lanned with most or all of the better players going, and a few of them play Downrush, not many.  Only a handful of people play any of the other new maps.  If I had to guess, I'm the only one that regularly played every new map at one point, and I can't go this year.  I make new players that lan with me play the new maps.  Also Downrush is the only new map NHE capable at this point.

I'm surprised people WOULDN'T want to play new Halo 1 maps tbh.

I'm not an OG player but I've been playing it since 2006....I would have killed somebody for more maps. Especially with the quality of the ones at least in Final.

I'm not an OG player but I've been playing it since 2006....I would have killed somebody for more maps. Especially with the quality of the ones at least in Final.

EXACTLY.  I don't get it.  I mean I understand appreciating the deep meta on the established maps, but my God, playing the same 5 or 6 maps for 15 years and ignoring excellent alternatives for what, 5 of those years?  Mind boggling to me.  My LAN group of casuals back home devoured those new maps, and most of us like them better than the OG ones, especially for 4's.

But getting back to exposure, @@Teapot, my dad hosts the #1 radio show in Columbus OH.  His facebook presence is stupid big, and the dude barely even uses it.  When I graduated Basic Training, he posted some pictures of us and tagged me in them, and I was getting an insane number of notifications for weeks afterwards. I bet if I asked him to post a link to the stream, under the guise of "my son's a chip off the ol' block, hurr durr" or something, we'd get a HUGE boost in viewers while I was casting.

I just tweeted @Halo and @@Bravo with a link to this thread and asked them to show the stream some love when it comes around. The Halo facebook page did share my CE Weapons guide a while back, so there is hope they'll tweet it out.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm going to copy a post from the past where I was talking about Derelict, not going to say this is true for every player, but I kind of talk about this.

"I'm not going to get too much into if I think Derelict is better with any changes or not.  The first thing I did when I found out about Arsenic was switch health pack and camo spawn in Derelict, to have 2 versions.  I believe CT's version was something similar, I had it too eventually, but I just can't remember.

Point being, in 2016, the people that still LAN this game are generally not open to any change.  I would say I'm in that crowd too.  There is an established meta and as silly as Dere can seem sometimes, generally people don't want any change.  As for people playing PC version, or lanning with their friends I say play whatever you want.  When I lived in TN, I will readily admit I played new maps over Hang 'Em and Derelict.  I love playing Hang 'Em and Derelict, and while they can be frustrating, I thought the idea of new maps was too fun to pass up.  I was lucky - I had a LAN group and I lived in a place where there wasn't much to do.  We had plenty of time to play.  But for guys that may get to LAN 2 - 3 times a year at best, they don't want change.  They want to play H1 as they have always played it.  They don't have the time or desire to mix things up, and I can't say I blame them.  This is one of the reasons I believe more people do not try the new maps, which is a shame because they are great.

I have had some H1 players try new maps with me and they IMMEDIATELY have complaints about the maps.  I heard once in Exhibit "there are not enough guaranteed randoms in this map."  There is exactly one more random than Prisoner and as many as Chill Out.  Also about Exhibit, "This map is too big."  After the game we had no problem throwing up a host in the enormous Hang 'Em High.  What I'm trying to say is, if Derelict was released as a "new" map in 2011 with Halo 1.5, it would have been laughed out of a LAN.  "Wait a second rockets spawn every 30 seconds and all the powerups are up top?  I'm not playing this stupid shit."  People have just played the game so long, that any issues with the original maps are just part of the metagame at this point.  For better or worse, Derelict is what it is.  I like the map and look forward to playing.  It feels like anything can happen there. 

I do agree that starting spawns can be super rough in Derelict.  Against really good players, starting spawns can be rough in any map - just not to the extent that they are in Derelict."

• Upvote (+1) 5

Agreed with the above. But Downrush is really good and I immediately understood and liked it. It should be included in LANs for sure.

It might be a good idea to post when the stream is on r/halo. Could be a good way to get a few new people involved possibly. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Beach LAN officially has a sponsor in Weedmaps (https://weedmaps.com/).  Their Esports division is putting up prize money for two tournaments and flying out casters and tech folks to set up a decent stream, among other things.  We will have 7 stations, all with NHE (http://www.halo1final.com/).  While there will be capping stations, one elite station will be streaming.  A number of players from the community will be casting during the week, but we are hoping to have a more professional caster for the tournaments.

I really appreciate all of your support.  The more attention we can bring to the event, the more our sponsor will be willing to do for us going forward.  

this is great news. wish you guys all the best in a couple of weeks, I will be watching!

Beach LAN officially has a sponsor in Weedmaps (https://weedmaps.com/).  Their Esports division is putting up prize money for two tournaments and flying out casters and tech folks to set up a decent stream, among other things.  We will have 7 stations, all with NHE (http://www.halo1final.com/).  While there will be capping stations, one elite station will be streaming.  A number of players from the community will be casting during the week, but we are hoping to have a more professional caster for the tournaments.

I really appreciate all of your support.  The more attention we can bring to the event, the more our sponsor will be willing to do for us going forward.

Nice!

This is much HYPE.

Beach LAN officially has a sponsor in Weedmaps (https://weedmaps.com/). Their Esports division is putting up prize money for two tournaments and flying out casters and tech folks to set up a decent stream, among other things. We will have 7 stations, all with NHE (http://www.halo1final.com/). While there will be capping stations, one elite station will be streaming. A number of players from the community will be casting during the week, but we are hoping to have a more professional caster for the tournaments.

I really appreciate all of your support. The more attention we can bring to the event, the more our sponsor will be willing to do for us going forward.

Get HYYYPE

Awesome job man!

edit: should we start a new thread for this to bring more awareness?

Is Beyond going to be supporting the LAN officially also?

That is my understanding....

• Upvote (+1) 2

Beach LAN officially has a sponsor in Weedmaps (https://weedmaps.com/).

This is awesome. I'll be watching all weekend/week, and will do what I can to promote. I would love to see a grassroots CE scene grow.
  • Upvote (+1) 1