Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

My last pitch for streaming ideas:

-Make sure the webcam is on the streaming station. If at all possible, get as many web cams as possible to record who's play at which station to help identify people because they can't use the same fucking name.

-For all of the games no-streamed, considered streaming them on "tape-delay" if you will. Stream them for the first time the next week and either have players commentate on themselves or have missingo/someone awesome commentate on them. Would be a good educational session for the noobs and you could stop/start/rewind/etc

• Upvote (+1) 1

We should just get a room CAM in one of the corners of the main lanning room and say what station the stream is on in the description.

Going to have to ask for confirmation just to be 110% sure; but I updated the list and added the one and only Walshy to it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Going to have to ask for confirmation just to be 110% sure; but I updated the list and added the one and only Walshy to it.

duuuuuuude

• Upvote (+1) 2

You guys gonna have a small buy in for the tournament? Could get a pretty decent pool with 50ish players. 

You guys gonna have a small buy in for the tournament? Could get a pretty decent pool with 50ish players. 

Most likely not. We discussed after last year doing something similar but I think we were able to pool together enough money without having to resort to that. Definitely not a bad idea and will most likely be something we can implement if we don't get anyone to donate prize money for future BL's.

duuuuuuude

I know right? Really stoked about this and it's great to have someone with his reach supporting the event. It would be great to get current pros and people to help support it but we shall see.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I wish I didn't have to work so I could sleep the next two weeks so the 6th was here faster

• Upvote (+1) 1

oh my

So what's been confirmed about this in terms of a stream and a tournament?

I mean all I can really confirm is what we should have at the least. We have the equipment to stream a station and the internet should be good enough with 10 upload in the beach house. We have a mic, capture card, computer and a webcam secured so we should be able to have something going. Still trying to find out exactly what we can do in regards to getting it set up properly for casting. Also want to look into if we can at least get some other stations captured and then someone can spend the next month of their life uploading them lol.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why the fuck am i so excited to see you nerds have fun playing a 15 year old video game jesus christ i need a life :)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why the fuck am i so excited to see you nerds have fun playing a 15 year old video game jesus christ i need a life :)

'Cause it's more exciting than watching that 1 year old video game with endless skillless AR and SMG whoring and people dodging every single fight.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Bro...this is the life.

I still feel like MCC hurt the H1 community a bit. It might be hard to tell since we weren't incredibly large to start with but when MCC was out and beyond had their 2v2 tournament there was a good number of H1 people who started to lurk or made an account. Once they realized that MCC was going to permanently be awful they all left.

So it's important that we do the best we can to help support and promote this tournament if we ever want to see something bigger or even of this scale again. I'm not great with social media, I could care less how many people follow me on any platform. However I'm going to shamelessly beg for help here regarding the Beach LAN. I think we really need every like and retweet we can get from as many communities as possible so we can showcase this amazing game. Yes, we all love Halo CE.. but this is Halo 1.5 Final and it's amazing. The more eyes that can see the hard work that the community put in, the better. If you guys have anyone you know of that can help support us, please ask them to and let me know!

@@RyaNoob, what are the chances that you can attend for a day or two? If so it would be cool if it were Wednesday/Thursday for the tournament.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I still feel like MCC hurt the H1 community a bit. It might be hard to tell since we weren't incredibly large to start with but when MCC was out and beyond had their 2v2 tournament there was a good number of H1 people who started to lurk or made an account. Once they realized that MCC was going to permanently be awful they all left.

So it's important that we do the best we can to help support and promote this tournament if we ever want to see something bigger or even of this scale again. I'm not great with social media, I could care less how many people follow me on any platform. However I'm going to shamelessly beg for help here regarding the Beach LAN. I think we really need every like and retweet we can get from as many communities as possible so we can showcase this amazing game. Yes, we all love Halo CE.. but this is Halo 1.5 Final and it's amazing. The more eyes that can see the hard work that the community put in, the better. If you guys have anyone you know of that can help support us, please ask them to and let me know!

@@RyaNoob, what are the chances that you can attend for a day or two? If so it would be cool if it were Wednesday/Thursday for the tournament.

I think the community is alive in pockets. We just don't have centralization on a social media community anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think the community is alive in pockets. We just don't have centralization on a social media community anymore.

more wall of text:

I agree for the most part but I think collectively there's a good number of us but a small percentage of us are active. I also believe that the average age of a Halo CE player is pretty high and none of them really end up using twitter or anything other than facebook in terms of social media.

We need to capture as much of the community as possible with the stream but we honestly need to generate new interest from the current Halo community. With a good stream and casters we can hopefully explain all the depth and intricacies to a point where new players can understand just how much is going on. With every Halo release more and more people moved on from Halo CE. I think it was late 08 or early 09 when it seemed like more people were interested in H1 again. I played a bunch of XBC and I assume that player numbers started to dwindle again. A tournament like this would have been golden during MCC's. I could be wrong, but it seems like we are still in a period where we can see new players and growth.

There's got to be a handful of us on that list, mostly beyond people, that none of the other guys know. I think it says a lot when you have new people flying in from every coast to come LAN H1. It's entirely possible that a new player could break out despite these players decades of experience. Two people who had a lot of potential are King Nick and Batchford. It'd be great if we could get players like these interested.

We really need the H5 pros or casters or others to tweet this out. Maybe I'm mistaken about the FGC, but they usually still support events with older titles. I do wonder if theres any bias though with H1.

• Upvote (+1) 1

more wall of text:

I agree for the most part but I think collectively there's a good number of us but a small percentage of us are active. I also believe that the average age of a Halo CE player is pretty high and none of them really end up using twitter or anything other than facebook in terms of social media.

We need to capture as much of the community as possible with the stream but we honestly need to generate new interest from the current Halo community. With a good stream and casters we can hopefully explain all the depth and intricacies to a point where new players can understand just how much is going on. With every Halo release more and more people moved on from Halo CE. I think it was late 08 or early 09 when it seemed like more people were interested in H1 again. I played a bunch of XBC and I assume that player numbers started to dwindle again. A tournament like this would have been golden during MCC's. I could be wrong, but it seems like we are still in a period where we can see new players and growth.

There's got to be a handful of us on that list, mostly beyond people, that none of the other guys know. I think it says a lot when you have new people flying in from every coast to come LAN H1. It's entirely possible that a new player could break out despite these players decades of experience. Two people who had a lot of potential are King Nick and Batchford. It'd be great if we could get players like these interested.

We really need the H5 pros or casters or others to tweet this out. Maybe I'm mistaken about the FGC, but they usually still support events with older titles. I do wonder if theres any bias though with H1.

I had an idea for how the H1 scene could grow, but it might be terrible. It's obvious that 2v2 is the best test of skill because of the spawn system, but what if people started playing duels on the side? Here are a few benefits of 1v1:

• While there is a lot less going on, that makes it easier to commentate and easier for new viewers understand. It's like Lockout TS--not very deep, but slow and suspensful.

• 1v1 is totally different from 2v2, so different players could start rising to the top. There would be more potential for storylines because you can prove who is the best individual, not just which duo is the best.

• It's easier for people trying out the game to get one other player instead of three. 2v2 has a similar advantage over 4v4 in this sense. I think this is one of the reasons Smash Bros Melee is so big.

But there are some negatives, of course. Almost all of the spawn system meta is lost. You need two setups for a proper 1v1, the same as for 2v2, so more players would be sitting out. And you could argue that the best thing is for the players to be happy, so why wouldn't they want to play 2v2 instead?

I think it could be pretty exciting to see some of the best players duking it out 1v1, showing off really nerdy trick nades you might not see normally. I definitely think 2v2 would still need to be centerstage, though, because it is a better test of skill and is what everyone prefers playing. And by no means would the upcoming Beach LAN have to be the place to test out this idea. Anyway, just some stuff to think about if people are serious about growing the playerbase and viewership for this game. Sorry for the wall of text.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's an idea you should try to get Walshy involved in. He was huge on 1v1s back in the day and developed tons of nerdy nade tricks by himself.

CE 1v1

I find CE 1v1's slow and fluke-y due mainly to map design and cascading powerups. Fluke-y because spawns are always random, slow because when someone gets rockets they pretty much get a guaranteed 4 kills so the other player starts playing really gay.

I think that 1v1 *could* possibly be made to work well for CE with new maps designed specifically for 1v1, and possibly with some mods applied to the pickups (ex: rockets only spawn with max ammo of 2, maybe introduce a new powerup or something).

In its current state I don't think there's enough room for meta growth when compared to 2v2.

I also don't think that the the fact that 2v2 is the norm is a turn-off for anyone. The main problems with accessibility for the game are due to the fact that you need to get locals to LAN with you for the best experience, the equipment requirements, spoiled kids needing next-gen graphics in order to enjoy a game, no easy way to play the game online if you want to practice on weeknights, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find CE 1v1's slow and fluke-y due mainly to map design and cascading powerups. Fluke-y because spawns are always random, slow because when someone gets rockets they pretty much get a guaranteed 4 kills so the other player starts playing really gay.

I think that 1v1 *could* possibly be made to work well for CE with new maps designed specifically for 1v1, and possibly with some mods applied to the pickups (ex: rockets only spawn with max ammo of 2, maybe introduce a new powerup or something).

In its current state I don't think there's enough room for meta growth when compared to 2v2.

I also don't think that the the fact that 2v2 is the norm is a turn-off for anyone. The main problems with accessibility for the game are due to the fact that you need to get locals to LAN with you for the best experience, the equipment requirements, spoiled kids needing next-gen graphics in order to enjoy a game, no easy way to play the game online if you want to practice on weeknights, etc.

Come move to Toronto and I'll LAN you everynight bb

Fluke-y because spawns are always random, slow because when someone gets rockets they pretty much get a guaranteed 4 kills so the other player starts playing really gay.

Nobody plays 1v1 with rockets anyway. MLG banned using them on Prisoner.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So there is only 12 days left until the LAN. Hopefully can disclose all the info by the end of this week to let you guys know what to expect!

I had an idea for how the H1 scene could grow, but it might be terrible. It's obvious that 2v2 is the best test of skill because of the spawn system, but what if people started playing duels on the side? Here are a few benefits of 1v1:

• While there is a lot less going on, that makes it easier to commentate and easier for new viewers understand. It's like Lockout TS--not very deep, but slow and suspensful.

• 1v1 is totally different from 2v2, so different players could start rising to the top. There would be more potential for storylines because you can prove who is the best individual, not just which duo is the best.

• It's easier for people trying out the game to get one other player instead of three. 2v2 has a similar advantage over 4v4 in this sense. I think this is one of the reasons Smash Bros Melee is so big.

But there are some negatives, of course. Almost all of the spawn system meta is lost. You need two setups for a proper 1v1, the same as for 2v2, so more players would be sitting out. And you could argue that the best thing is for the players to be happy, so why wouldn't they want to play 2v2 instead?

I think it could be pretty exciting to see some of the best players duking it out 1v1, showing off really nerdy trick nades you might not see normally. I definitely think 2v2 would still need to be centerstage, though, because it is a better test of skill and is what everyone prefers playing. And by no means would the upcoming Beach LAN have to be the place to test out this idea. Anyway, just some stuff to think about if people are serious about growing the playerbase and viewership for this game. Sorry for the wall of text.

I can bring up this concept at the LAN and see where people stand on 1v1's. A lot of these guys are definitely set with their preferences and I'd say the majority would rather play the old maps than new maps. Also there's some setting issues and honor rules, like not using rockets or something but I think for the most part they'd get played on wizard. Also, the pace of the game is drastically slower on other maps. You end up seeing a lot of camping.

It definitely has it's pros and cons but I do feel that most players attending would say that the cons outweigh the pros. I think it would be something cool to do though. I really enjoyed when competitive Halo showcased multiple forms. FFA's that led into a 1v1 bracket, 2v2 tournaments, 4v4 etc.

edit: I pretty much agree with everything @@stunt_man said. I wonder what map could work and with what layout? I'm trying to think of good quake maps that can be scaled for CE.

That's an idea you should try to get Walshy involved in. He was huge on 1v1s back in the day and developed tons of nerdy nade tricks by himself.

The early days were interesting. A lot of people were pioneers that never got full credit for their techniques. I'm probably wrong but I think it was an asian player at the WCG who was the first person to have a timer. I think they actually didn't allow him to use it but it then became the standard. Even the ogre twitch was created by someone else. 

• Upvote (+1) 1