Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

So I take it I would have to travel to somewhere in Florida?

Not saying that I can go, as much as I would like to, but info such as that would be nice to know.

Anyway, although I am still trying to figure out real life stuff, I kinda sorta would be interested in an HCE scene of some sort. Perhaps maybe this grassroots thing.

The short month or two playing HCE MCC last year with @@Hard Way, @@Batchford, and friends was some of the most fun I've had playing Halo. Its too bad that the MCC failed miserably.

I stopped playing because many of my own online friends wouldn't bother playing HCE period, and I kinda gave up on it, especially after Beyond players in general mostly gave up on the MCC.

Since then I have pretty much begun to give up on Halo in general. Since I ain't particularly great at the game, and each new Halo, especially 5, has so many things that piss me off about it I can't even play to relax anymore, that combined with the responsibility of real life I don't know how I could ever get good enough to truly go competitive like I once hoped.

I have to say that guys like @@Batchford are amazing, somehow managing to put up with H5's faults and really go competitive for real. I wish I could be like that.

Honestly these days I wish there could be a much simpler, more pure, Halo, that I could come home after a long days work and enjoy some great games, without getting so pissed at the game itself and actually being able to improve again.

I can honestly see HCE being that, but the issue of the LAN and hardware limitations is really just such a big discouragement it kills any real motivation left.

But I still still wish though... and things like this peak my interest every now and then.

BTW, what is the issue of running HCE on the 360? MCC and PC is kinda more obvious, but what about the backwards compatibility with the 360?

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I take it I would have to travel to somewhere in Florida?

Not saying that I can go, as much as I would like to, but info such as that would be nice to know.

Anyway, although I am still trying to figure out real life stuff, I kinda sorta would be interested in an HCE scene of some sort. Perhaps maybe this grassroots thing.

The short month or two playing HCE MCC last year with @@Hard Way, @@Batchford, and friends was some of the most fun I've had playing Halo. Its too bad that the MCC failed miserably.

I stopped playing because many of my own online friends wouldn't bother playing HCE period, and I kinda gave up on it, especially after Beyond players in general mostly gave up on the MCC.

Since then I have pretty much begun to give up on Halo in general. Since I ain't particularly great at the game, and each new Halo, especially 5, has so many things that piss me off about it I can't even play to relax anymore, that combined with the responsibility of real life I don't know how I could ever get good enough to truly go competitive like I once hoped.

I have to say that guys like @@Batchford are amazing, somehow managing to put up with H5's faults and really go competitive for real. I wish I could be like that.

Honestly these days I wish there could be a much simpler, more pure, Halo, that I could come home after a long days work and enjoy some great games, without getting so pissed at the game itself and actually being able to improve again.

I can honestly see HCE being that, but the issue of the LAN and hardware limitations is really just such a big discouragement it kills any real motivation left.

But I still still wish though... and things like this peak my interest every now and then.

BTW, what is the issue of running HCE on the 360? MCC and PC is kinda more obvious, but what about the backwards compatibility with the 360?

Thanks man.  Yeah those were good times.  Didn't you me and Jawshe beat FearItSelf twice in a row?  That was fun as hell.  As for the 360, the main issue is that the emulator will lock up and freeze sometimes, which can be super frustrating if it happens at the wrong time.  It's certainly playable, and is probably more convenient than getting two OG Xboxes and 2 CRT TV's, but it's hardly optimal.  It is a lot better than MCC or Halo PC though.

If you could craigslist the equipment, have the space for it, and have 3 friends that are willing to learn the game with you, then OG on CRT's is certainly the way to go.  Not only does it perform a lot better, but you can also mod the Xboxes and get Halo 1 Final and Halo 1.5 LAN Edition, which add loads of new, excellent maps, as well as remove sounds coming through your TV that would give the opposing team too much information.  H1 Final has a built in talking timer, which is unbelievably convenient, and 1.5 LE has a bigger selection of maps that couldn't make the cut into Final, but are still really fun (Hot Box, Red Shift, Double Take, and Madhouse being the best of the leftovers imo).  So if you can make it happen, that's definitely the way to go.

Edit: @@Missingno, did Zero Hour make it into Final?  I can't remember and I can't check right now.

Edit x2:  Google is my friend.  Looks like it didn't make the cut.  That's a shame because it's certainly better than Wizard.

Thanks man.  Yeah those were good times.  Didn't you me and Jawshe beat FearItSelf twice in a row?  That was fun as hell.  As for the 360, the main issue is that the emulator will lock up and freeze sometimes, which can be super frustrating if it happens at the wrong time.  It's certainly playable, and is probably more convenient than getting two OG Xboxes and 2 CRT TV's, but it's hardly optimal.  It is a lot better than MCC or Halo PC though.

If you could craigslist the equipment, have the space for it, and have 3 friends that are willing to learn the game with you, then OG on CRT's is certainly the way to go.  Not only does it perform a lot better, but you can also mod the Xboxes and get Halo 1 Final and Halo 1.5 LAN Edition, which add loads of new, excellent maps, as well as remove sounds coming through your TV that would give the opposing team too much information.  H1 Final has a built in talking timer, which is unbelievably convenient, and 1.5 LE has a bigger selection of maps that couldn't make the cut into Final, but are still really fun (Hot Box, Red Shift, Double Take, and Madhouse being the best of the leftovers imo).  So if you can make it happen, that's definitely the way to go.

Edit: @@Missingno, did Zero Hour make it into Final?  I can't remember and I can't check right now.

Edit x2:  Google is my friend.  Looks like it didn't make the cut.  That's a shame because it's certainly better than Wizard.

Yea agreed.  My friends in TN love Zero Hour, I liked it too.  

I wish the main menu hack that was used in Halo 1.5 had made it into Halo 1 Final. That way we'd have all the maps.

By the way, for the few people that are daring enough to try and play new maps seriously, I've got some new ones in the works. Insidi0us has been working on updating Hotbox and Redshift as well, and they play better than the originals.

It's unfortunate that many players refuse to play on the new maps, because of a perceived lack of depth, especially because the lack of depth is directly due to the fact that they aren't played -_- They're better-tailored for 2v2 than 99% of the custom maps that the Halo PC community has put out, and a few of them can certainly hold a candle to the original maps (mainly the ones included in Halo 1 Final, but the outliers are slowly growing on me as well - Doubletake comes to mind).

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thanks man. Yeah those were good times. Didn't you me and Jawshe beat FearItSelf twice in a row? That was fun as hell. As for the 360, the main issue is that the emulator will lock up and freeze sometimes, which can be super frustrating if it happens at the wrong time. It's certainly playable, and is probably more convenient than getting two OG Xboxes and 2 CRT TV's, but it's hardly optimal. It is a lot better than MCC or Halo PC though.

If you could craigslist the equipment, have the space for it, and have 3 friends that are willing to learn the game with you, then OG on CRT's is certainly the way to go. Not only does it perform a lot better, but you can also mod the Xboxes and get Halo 1 Final and Halo 1.5 LAN Edition, which add loads of new, excellent maps, as well as remove sounds coming through your TV that would give the opposing team too much information. H1 Final has a built in talking timer, which is unbelievably convenient, and 1.5 LE has a bigger selection of maps that couldn't make the cut into Final, but are still really fun (Hot Box, Red Shift, Double Take, and Madhouse being the best of the leftovers imo). So if you can make it happen, that's definitely the way to go.

Edit: @@Missingno, did Zero Hour make it into Final? I can't remember and I can't check right now.

Edit x2: Google is my friend. Looks like it didn't make the cut. That's a shame because it's certainly better than Wizard.

The big issue is I have no friends interested to LAN HCE competitively. People I know are either too casual to begin with, or HCE is too 'old' to play.

I wish I knew you and your friends back home in Ohio. I don't know much of anyone here in Washington.

And yeah it was fun beating Fearitself. I wish those times didn't stop.

@@SMARTAN 427 the address is at the top of the beach-lan website. It's right near Tampa.

Equipment could be tough to find but at this point it seems like it's harder to find players willing to LAN or host for that matter.

Not from what I've seen

I'm in a pretty populated area and search for some good CRTV's every now and then and come up with nothing. Either they're shit or they're HUGE. There was a big video game convention in my city and those dudes scooped up all the CRTV's they could find and none of them were that great.

I'm in a pretty populated area and search for some good CRTV's every now and then and come up with nothing. Either they're shit or they're HUGE. There was a big video game convention in my city and those dudes scooped up all the CRTV's they could find and none of them were that great.

I don't get that, i have trouble not finding good tvs. If you are looking for a certain model, the best thing to do is just check craigslist once every few days. Its just a matter of time before the right one pops up.

Getting 13- or 27+ inch crts where i live isn't a problem. Getting a 20" any brand CRT is impossible.

I was having a lot of trouble finding Samsung CRT's when searching by model #. When you search, try this format: "samsung #" where # = screensize. I went from thinking Samsung CRT's were an endangered species to being overwhelmed with results. It's all in the search.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was having a lot of trouble finding Samsung CRT's when searching by model #. When you search, try this format: "samsung #" where # = screensize. I went from thinking Samsung CRT's were an endangered species to being overwhelmed with results. It's all in the search.

I'll dig of a picture that was posted on a facebook group I'm in. There's a huge melee and retro gaming scene near me and this guy literally has a storage space dedicated to CRTVs. None of them are the nicer ones that are used for CE but it looks like a TV graveyard. Friday night they organize group trips to garage sales for games and TVs and run a big video game convention in the area. So yeah there are TV's I guess but these guys are just trying harder than me apparently.

I'd like to buy two from them.

There are now 48 people signed up on the website, games dead guys.

That's pretty awesome. I haven't the site in a while so I'll have to update the list here. Whats the most that's attended a BL? Just under 40?

Also, airfare typically fluctuates and was really cheap before. It jumped up and I've been waiting for it to go back down but it hasn't It's just getting more and more expensive. I regret not buying it the first day I checked but I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy one asap. I know once I do it's going to drop.

@@Hard Way I bought my plane ticket last night. It must have jumped up again but at this point I don't think it will drop at all. I just have to send McDick the room money.

I also updated the OP. We're right under 50 people which to me is mind blowing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'll dig of a picture that was posted on a facebook group I'm in. There's a huge melee and retro gaming scene near me and this guy literally has a storage space dedicated to CRTVs. None of them are the nicer ones that are used for CE but it looks like a TV graveyard. Friday night they organize group trips to garage sales for games and TVs and run a big video game convention in the area. So yeah there are TV's I guess but these guys are just trying harder than me apparently.

I'd like to buy two from them.

That's pretty awesome. I haven't the site in a while so I'll have to update the list here. Whats the most that's attended a BL? Just under 40?

Also, airfare typically fluctuates and was really cheap before. It jumped up and I've been waiting for it to go back down but it hasn't It's just getting more and more expensive. I regret not buying it the first day I checked but I'll probably just bite the bullet and buy one asap. I know once I do it's going to drop.

BL3 had about 35 unique attendees. Keep in mind that roughly 13 of those 48 people are locals who likely will not be there everyday. Also, there are always people who flake and we are also not all playing at the same time. The beach part of the beach lan is always in use.

• Upvote (+1) 1

BL3 had about 35 unique attendees. Keep in mind that roughly 13 of those 48 people are locals who likely will not be there everyday. Also, there are always people who flake and we are also not all playing at the same time. The beach part of the beach lan is always in use.

That's true. Regardless though I think its awesome to see this many people interested in spending that much money to play a video game for a week. I mean the tournament prize is a fraction of what it costs people to get there. I think it's pretty impressive considering what attendance is like for a few of Halo 5's open tournaments.

Does anyone know how many people attended Maryland Madness?

Never forget Cat 2k15-2k15.

though seriously 50 people, that's pretty damn hype

@@Hard Way I bought my plane ticket last night. It must have jumped up again but at this point I don't think it will drop at all. I just have to send McDick the room money.

I also updated the OP. We're right under 50 people which to me is mind blowing.

Dude I am so fucking excited.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There are now 48 people signed up on the website, games dead guys.

Imagine being Hardy Lebel knowing that your shit is being played 15+ years later.

Then imagine the guys at 343i knowing their shit won't be played 15+ years later.

Must be that nostalgia factor....

• Upvote (+1) 1

Imagine being Hardy Lebel knowing that your shit is being played 15+ years later.

Then imagine the guys at 343i knowing their shit won't be played 15+ years later.

Must be that nostalgia factor....

Hardy is very aware of this LAN. As long as we have the stream up and running I'm sure he'll watch at some point. In fact when I told him he sounded a little disappointed that it was so far away in tampa. I'm assuming that if it was somewhere on the west coast he would have been willing to make an appearance. I don't think he was aware that it was a vacation/lan though haha.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hi Teapot,

I've just sent you a direct message. My apologies for not getting back sooner. Take a look and get back to me when you can. Thanks!

Best,

Cody Dragon

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thanks Cody.

For now I'm not making anything public here until we can talk further. I will be a tease and say it's some awesome stuff though and hope to disclose more information soon. I think I'd make a good Halo 5 community manager with statements like these.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

If someone were to perhaps register now and only go for the first half of the week would that be possible and would it be a good idea?