Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

There is always a place to sleep at a LAN, even if you have to act like the count of monte cristo and sleep on the floor.

"Sleep at a LAN"
  • Upvote (+1) 2

From what I understand, regarding the other 2, Harris is completely out or done with halo for now. I never got along with him and I know he feels the same about me, but I wish he would return to the scene. He's one of the few players who actually "gets it" so I miss the competition. Tom and I are friends, but I haven't spoken to him in some time about playing. He's usually involved in his other (stupid) games and I guess he doesn't wanna split his time. But I'm sure he could be coaxed into it. Sean and I have toyed with the idea of hosting a small lan with 2 other top players but no ones schedule has lined up. Nistic and Shade being the two most likely. Nisty can't do anything until after May, so we will revisit the idea then. Sean is also kind of burned out from halo so he's taking a break too.

Well Tom just retired so now's your chance

• Upvote (+1) 2

I watched the finals of a 15 year old game tonight get 70k viewers on twitch. This could/should be CE in my opinion. I hope people continue trying to throw lans/grow the scene. Melee and CE have more in common than the same release year (deepest meta in the series, most competitive etc.) There is something unique about CE that I think  makes it relevant, especially today. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

@NAK: I have been thinking the same for quite some time. The potential is perhaps there, but to get the resurgence that Melee had we need at least two, perhaps three things. First, a grassroots scene, which is mostly missing in the EU and seems to only be nascent in the US.

Second, and more more importantly I think, many Melee players have been introduced into Melee after playing newer editions. Then they switch to melee upon realizing that it is better/it is where the highest level of competition is. As long as the newest Halo game is getting developer support, or support elsewhere (by other tournament organizers) there will just be too few incentives to compete in H1.

Third, H1 is really suffering from a legacy hardware problem. With Smash you can at least play the game on the Wii, which is readily available, and gamepads are still sold. For H1 only Original Xboxes and controllers are viable for the highest level of competition. MCC did not really contribute in this department, but could have been huge if it had brought the game perfectly onto modern (and readily available) hardware.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think Melee is better for spectators as well, for a lot of reasons.  You can watch an entire set in 15 minutes between two players, not just one game.  Besides the hardware, you also have to have 4 people, 4 controllers, 2 TV's etc. just to play a series on LAN.  You only need 2 people, one gamecube/wii, one TV etc. to play Melee.  Not only that, you can practice Melee to an extent by yourself and see legitimate improvement in some things.  I don't think that's possible with H1.  There's no host, the game is by default more neutral than H1 in competitive play (although NHE could change that).  There are a ton of thing separating those 2 games, I've talked about this subject a lot with some of my friends.  They are definitely comparable though, as NAK said.  I could talk about Melee vs H1 for a while, it's really crazy how great they both are in their own game series. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think Melee is better for spectators as well, for a lot of reasons.  You can watch an entire set in 15 minutes between two players, not just one game.  Besides the hardware, you also have to have 4 people, 4 controllers, 2 TV's etc. just to play a series on LAN.  You only need 2 people, one gamecube/wii, one TV etc. to play Melee.  Not only that, you can practice Melee to an extent by yourself and see legitimate improvement in some things.  I don't think that's possible with H1.  There's no host, the game is by default more neutral than H1 in competitive play (although NHE could change that).  There are a ton of thing separating those 2 games, I've talked about this subject a lot with some of my friends.  They are definitely comparable though, as NAK said.  I could talk about Melee vs H1 for a while, it's really crazy how great they both are in their own game series. 

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to see some growth in the CE scene. Sure it requires old tech but that stuff is readily available and dirt cheap. As far as practice goes, there's Halo PC and MCC for those that don't have the ideal CRT/OG box setup.

I think the main hurdle is accessibility - your Youtube channel is a great place to learn about the metagame, and there are other great resources (like halospawns.com, halonades.com, etc) ,but they are all spread out over the internet. There's also no place for players to get together and set up matches (LAN or otherwise - trying to change that with my Discord channel, but even that isn't easy to find unless you browse here and some other boards).

I've got some people in my group that are interested in consolidating a lot of these learning resources and developing some other nifty web-based stuff to make the game and scene more accessible but I don't have anything worth reporting just yet. If anyone has web development skills and wants to contribute, join the Discord group in my sig.

• Upvote (+1) 2

storylines and practicing are also easier. We follow the story of m2k, mango, armada, etc. But we rarely follow the story of a halo player, just the team, and teams change up so much. It's also nigh impossible to practice by yourself, just nade tricks. Doesn't help your mental game, your aiming game, your reacting game, your understanding. Getting 4 people together is pretty hard and then you have to stay 3-4hours for a gauntlet. Also melee benefits from having sandbagging characters. Sure you could use AR and PP only and shit like that, but it's not as fun as when im playing pichu in melee. 

Yeah that smashbros documentary helped build up the top dogs as personalities. I really don't know much about the CE players as an outsider.

Couple of ideas to help legitimize the twitch stream:

-Obviously make people use the same names in-game. How about everyone uses their twitter handle with the @? 

-If NHE is being used, make the host box name and host player's name the twitch stream URL

• Upvote (+1) 2

I agree with what @@CYRiX said about everyone using their real tag in game. It always sucks loading up an H1 lan on Twitch and not knowing who is playing.

It's a rather small thing I guess, but it would help.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would love to go this but I don't know if I can due to me prepping for school and coming over from NY :\

Maybe someone can find a good way to add an overlay to the video feed and that can be used to put names to people.

I always do my best to make sure people play on their real names when theyre capping or streaming.  People are shitheads though

• Upvote (+1) 2

Leave was approved.  I'm coming for sure :)  @@Teapot

Sweet! I still plan on it but haven't bought my plane ticket yet. I regret not doing so the first time I looked since it was really cheap compared to what I'm finding the last few weeks. I figured prices wouldn't be so high since it's hurricane season or w/e but I guess that doesn't matter. I was hoping to be stingy with my plane ticket so I can up the tournament payout a bit. At this point though if the ticket drops below $300 I'm just going to buy it anyway and not put so much into the prize pool.

I always do my best to make sure people play on their real names when theyre capping or streaming.  People are shitheads though

Maybe get some web cams for some PIP? Could make it easier to figure out who's who later on.

877CASHNOW

• Upvote (+1) 1

There was a streaming station set up last year, I think people were talking about improving it for this year.

Yeah it should be streamed also hope to improve it from last year. At the very least there should be a lot of capped gameplay. Jeenyus is going so I hope to just push all responsibilities onto him.  :kappa:

I have the log in for the Beach LAN twitch and plan on adding stuff to that and hopefully have a ton of people retweet the stream.

Good to hear. What is the best email to contact you at in regards to sponsoring the event? 

Awesome! I'll send you a PM here with my e-mail or you can just respond through PM. Then we can get in contact with McDick since he's hosting/running these annual events.