Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

It would be nice to see the best 4 play each other at the end. Maybe once it's whittled down to 4 teams, the better players of the pairs can pair off into new teams with each other for the final round, and the remaining 4 scrubs can pair off for a crap bracket? And there's still tension in the early rounds as the best players have to carry some scrub to that point? Or maybe do a full tourny for half of the cash, then everyone votes on who are the 4 best players to face off for the rest of the money? I dunno, just some ideas.

Also how does the tourny work? Do you rank people and only allow the top 32 in the bracket? Not sure how you'd do it with less than 64 people but more than 32.

they'll do that regardless. bragging rights is worth more than cash to these fellas; there won't be any less "Try" 

also you just do byes/pools. 

Thanks for the shoutout @@Teapot. I also learned quite a bit and had a good time.

And LoL @@Trix, "What are you doing Billy, get camo Billy, setup for rockets Billy, keep it together Billy."

Sorry we never got to setup the stream.  

Thanks for the shoutout @@Teapot. I also learned quite a bit and had a good time.

And LoL @@Trix, "What are you doing Billy, get camo Billy, setup for rockets Billy, keep it together Billy."

Sorry we never got to setup the stream.  

No worries about the stream. I'm glad to know we have all the equipment to do so though, and yeah trix is funny. I feel like I could actually be a really good player if I could LAN against you guys more. Now that I have these boxes from Cujjer I hope to utilize them and improve. The end goal is to become better than Billy status.

It would be nice to see the best 4 play each other at the end. Maybe once it's whittled down to 4 teams, the better players of the pairs can pair off into new teams with each other for the final round, and the remaining 4 scrubs can pair off for a crap bracket? And there's still tension in the early rounds as the best players have to carry some scrub to that point? Or maybe do a full tourny for half of the cash, then everyone votes on who are the 4 best players to face off for the rest of the money? I dunno, just some ideas.

Also how does the tourny work? Do you rank people and only allow the top 32 in the bracket? Not sure how you'd do it with less than 64 people but more than 32.

I'd like to see the top 4 play as well. I think everyone wants a horseman match but I can't see that happening anytime soon, which is a shame. I don't think they'd be willing to split the prize money for the tournament as well as a top tiered money match. I also have to ask for some opinions for the guys going in the CE chat but it's hard to get anything serious out of that chat. I think Oh4's idea might be the direction we go in. There's still plenty to discuss though even for say the format of the tournament.

I personally think ranking the top half of the attendees then letting the worst of that pick teammates is the way to go. Means you won't get stuck with a person you don't like and you have control over who you're teaming with unless you're ranked #1. Last year teams were pretty much rando. 

I had thought that they did something similar last year but don't remember. I'm reaching out to Killer who ran it last year to see what his thoughts were.

Thanks for the input guys

• Upvote (+1) 1

I also had a great time Lanning out in Colorado with @@BlackShadow, @@Cujjer, and @@Trix. I could probably write a long winded post about that experience but I don't think anyone cares about that lol. So TL;DR - Thanks for hosting BX, Thanks for selling me those Halo 1.5 xboxs Cujjer, as well as giving me some good advice. Oh and for bringing the literal lan set up. I don't think Trix has an account but he helped me out a bunch too just by hammering away the same points. Cujjer had specific tips and advice, where Trix's "go for camo billy, get camo billy, camo, camo billy, billy go for camo" made me realize how slow I was playing this game.

Offtopic I guess, but don't underestimate the interest for such reports. Living in a cold, small country in Northern Europe, we are kind of starved on H1 LANs and other news. At least I read everything with great interest.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Offtopic I guess, but don't underestimate the interest for such reports. Living in a cold, small country in Northern Europe, we are kind of starved on H1 LANs and other news. At least I read everything with great interest.

At least 343 was forgiving enough to enable European players to be matched up with USA players on MCC, even though the more sensible thing would be to restrict matchups to region only.  No one in the states wants to play someone on someone's host across the world and take 10 head shots to kill them due to lag.

I've been noticing more level 45-50 players on halo CE on MCC from outside the USA and you can tell that they would just get absolutely destroyed based on where they position themselves on the map during power up spawns and how they move on the map.  They are that high because shots don't register well on them LOL.  I take them down by playing smarter but why should a game take 10 minutes due to bullets not registering properly when on LAN they would be done in 5 min.

343 is such a great company that knows how to port games to the T without any issues.  They, unlike other software companies, don't outsource 15+ year old games to a 3rd party to port them correctly.  

I'm thankful that guys like McDick hold these beach LAN so that people can still play real halo, because we sure as hell can't rely on software development companies to do their job properly and correctly port 15+ year old games....

Hardy Lebel of the original Bungie crew that designed maps on halo CE will always be the man who was superior at what he did relative to any FPS developer employed today, just like Michael Jordan and Jerry Rice are superior to any basketball or football player of today.  Wayne Gretzky, etc.  There's once in a generation talent... and then there's everyone else that has every advantage at their disposal (technology, sports medicine, etc) that these other guys didn't have 15+ years ago and the best of today don't hold a candle to the guys that were doing back then what these guys are doing today.

At least 343 was forgiving enough to enable European players to be matched up with USA players on MCC, even though the more sensible thing would be to restrict matchups to region only.  No one in the states wants to play someone on someone's host across the world and take 10 head shots to kill them due to lag.

Well, I don't think you would see it the same way if you actually ever played from the EU. Every single game offhost (unless we match only other EU players). Believe me, it's no advantage...

Well, I don't think you would see it the same way if you actually ever played from the EU. Every single game offhost (unless we match only other EU players). Believe me, it's no advantage...

Exactly my point.  Whoever gets host is at an advantage.  This is exactly why EU players need to be matched with EU players and USA players matched with USA players.  This however would require 343 to program a game correctly and actually listen to what they are being told to fix.

• Upvote (+1) 1

cali plays h1 and h2 and lives in norway. he talks in Stunt_man's hpc discord (its in his/my sig).

inb4urcali

Yeah, I know Cali well and am also in the Discord. I too play transatlantic, and it works. I did not mean to sound whiny, just to point out that USA players have little to complain about when it comes to matching EU players in the MCC playlist. All I'm saying is that it's no advantage, since we rarely if ever get host when playing against US players in the playlist, but it is good practice. Just need to up our game to grab the wins from you guys ;)

(Sorry for pulling this topic off track btw. Time to get back to discussing the LAN?)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Last years tournament had the entrees rate players on a tier system from 1-4. Tier 1's got matched with tier 4's while tier 2's got put with tier 3s. This to me seems like a fair system in terms of creating the most balanced matches throughout the series. No matter what we do there will be some issues or some people who aren't happy with the system. I'd imagine the tier 4's can really vary in skill level.

Despite the fact that we split up the top players, both Patch and Legend made it to the finals with a T4 on their team. I think it's pretty interesting that they both made it despite their partners, but I don't remember the teams at all. We discussed doing two tournaments since theres an entire week to run it, but I don't like the idea of splitting the prize money or having to choose.

I think splitting the groups up adds a lot to talk about though and that's one thing I would like to improve on this year. I hope to have a good quality stream up and would like to get some people to commentate and discuss stuff.

Thanks for the support! I could PM you a write up about my experience if you want it. I don't think it's anything too interesting but it's always an awesome experience. Also, no worries about side tracking the thread a bit, I did it myself with the Denver LAN. 

I propose that all tournament match results be recorded. This is for an un-announced project that next year's bracket seeding can be based off of ;)

I propose that all tournament match results be recorded. This is for an un-announced project that next year's bracket seeding can be based off of ;)

I think most were recorded but I'm not sure. I feel like Jeenyus only uploaded a handful compared to what I saw on McDick's youtube from previous years. I'd imagine people are lazy when it comes to uploading because that's how I am. Jeenyus said he'd pop his head in but i'll have to remind him.

I really would like to have a proper stream this year. Decent mic that doesn't peak when Legend yells. Decent web cam, and having some people try to commentate games if they want to. I know someone is interested in discussing the brackets/teams and I think we have a lot to work with.

How would these matches determine the seeding 2017's tournament? I assume teams will be varied next year so would each person be ranked on their own or as a group?

There's a good chance I can go to this, but is there any place "cheap" to stay nearby? Cause $100+ a night isn't happening

There's a good chance I can go to this, but is there any place "cheap" to stay nearby? Cause $100+ a night isn't happening

Why not just stay at the beach house?

Why not just stay at the beach house?

I was under the impression all rooms are taken?

I was under the impression all rooms are taken?

There is always a place to sleep at a LAN, even if you have to act like the count of monte cristo and sleep on the floor.

Theres enough cushions to spot everyone even if every1 went to sleep at one time. 

Oh cool. Got a couple more details to work out then.

@ this just in, john rented 3 houses this time, if the people already registered dont want the rooms there will be more rooms open

Boys, there are a few spots left in the 3rd house. $190 for the week.  J-up

• Upvote (+1) 1

IMO, it should be whatever the people watching the stream want to see. I personally think it's better to see the best teams play each other and its way more enjoyable to play against the better teams.

Sean and I would probably be the favorites, yes, but wouldn't it be awesome if someone challenged us? I know for me, it's not abut the money. Whatever i "won" last year, I never even seen because I told McDick to put it towards food/water/groceries for all of the lan attendees. I just want the competition.

Thanks for the interest and support again this year, Teapot. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

IMO, it should be whatever the people watching the stream want to see. I personally think it's better to see the best teams play each other and its way more enjoyable to play against the better teams.

Sean and I would probably be the favorites, yes, but wouldn't it be awesome if someone challenged us? I know for me, it's not abut the money. Whatever i "won" last year, I never even seen because I told McDick to put it towards food/water/groceries for all of the lan attendees. I just want the competition.

Thanks for the interest and support again this year, Teapot. 

Thanks for putting that money towards this years beach lan. By all means the money is there for people to take home, even though when it comes down to it the money really doesn't offset the cost of anyones stay.

I put it up mostly as motivation and incentive for people to compete. For example, last year I had anticipated players picking their own partners, which would most likely mean Legend and you team. I figured that money might motivate people to take you down. It doesn't seem like the case though, maybe some significant money would, but I think people are there to just play quality competitive games.

Whatever ends up happening I hope that we can somehow have some good exposure in streaming. I'd imagine it would be best stream this through Legend's twitch, although if Ogre 2 somehow hosted the stream it would be ideal.

What are the chances the world ever sees another horseman match?

• Upvote (+1) 2

What are the chances the world ever sees another horseman match?

Yeah, no problem.

From what I understand, regarding the other 2, Harris is completely out or done with halo for now. I never got along with him and I know he feels the same about me, but I wish he would return to the scene. He's one of the few players who actually "gets it" so I miss the competition. Tom and I are friends, but I haven't spoken to him in some time about playing. He's usually involved in his other (stupid) games and I guess he doesn't wanna split his time. But I'm sure he could be coaxed into it. Sean and I have toyed with the idea of hosting a small lan with 2 other top players but no ones schedule has lined up. Nistic and Shade being the two most likely. Nisty can't do anything until after May, so we will revisit the idea then. Sean is also kind of burned out from halo so he's taking a break too.

Meanwhile I'm super into it right now so I've been talking to people about doing small lans. Two weekends ago I had Doughboy, Jownz, Prime and Toxin here for a lan. This upcoming weekend I'll have Prime, Jownz, ColonP and Toxin at my place to play and I'll be at Dman's VA beach lan over MDW. I plan on streaming this upcoming weekend so make note, if interested.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I've been trying to acquire some sponsorships for this LAN. In this day in age where social media rules everything, it's not easy and in fact I don't think anything serious will happen. This is one of the reasons I really want to push stream and tournament through every means possible. I wonder if we should have separate "Beach LAN" twitch that we can establish. I think it would be a good idea except we would need everyone possible to help support it. Best case scenario, Ogre 2 hosts the new channel and brings in his viewers. A more ideal scenario is that Legend/Snipy and any other streamer does the same. This would give us a great start to becoming something marketable, if that was even desired.

Regardless, the guys at Jerky XP agreed to hook us up a bit, which I'm pretty grateful for. We should have a couple of variety packs sent down to the LAN which is awesome. Unfortunately as of now, it won't be close to feeding the 40 people for the course of the week, but that would be very expensive to do. Here is the pack I am talking about. https://jerkyxp.com/collections/variety-pack

I'm open to any ideas regarding reaching out to companies. Of course, this is McDick's LAN so he has the final say in everything.

Yeah, no problem.

From what I understand, regarding the other 2, Harris is completely out or done with halo for now. I never got along with him and I know he feels the same about me, but I wish he would return to the scene. He's one of the few players who actually "gets it" so I miss the competition. Tom and I are friends, but I haven't spoken to him in some time about playing. He's usually involved in his other (stupid) games and I guess he doesn't wanna split his time. But I'm sure he could be coaxed into it. Sean and I have toyed with the idea of hosting a small lan with 2 other top players but no ones schedule has lined up. Nistic and Shade being the two most likely. Nisty can't do anything until after May, so we will revisit the idea then. Sean is also kind of burned out from halo so he's taking a break too.

Meanwhile I'm super into it right now so I've been talking to people about doing small lans. Two weekends ago I had Doughboy, Jownz, Prime and Toxin here for a lan. This upcoming weekend I'll have Prime, Jownz, ColonP and Toxin at my place to play and I'll be at Dman's VA beach lan over MDW. I plan on streaming this upcoming weekend so make note, if interested.

Thanks for the insight. I had heard about Harris but wasn't sure the reasoning. I mention above about when we stream the LAN, it would benefit us a lot if we can have Ogre 2's support. Would you be the best person to reach out to him? Sucks to hear about Sean. I remember he had some issue with I think carpal tunnel which prevented him from playing.

It would be amazing if we can see some top tier players at it again. I've been on a huge binge lately watching Jeenyus and McDick's channel. I've even been watching the series with Ryanoob (halo reach-5 pro) and getting a good kick out of seeing McDick shoot randoms with his pistol.

I'd absolutely watch you stream. Please do and make sure to post it here. I don't think I have you on twitch, whats your  twitch URL? Where do you live by the way? and Dman as in Darkman?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Pretty sure it's Devilman's LAN.

And I agree the more streaming, the better when it comes to exposure and getting new players interested. Personally I was hooked on last year's stream.

• Upvote (+1) 2