Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

Not a CE player. I will always suck at CE, I do not understand the magnum, never have, never will, never want to play these guys and get molested. 

That being said, I actually might go to enjoy Florida and watch the best in action. Do I have to play to go or if I just donate and contribute to a room they'll be cool with me drifting and just having a good time?

I can ask McDick for you if you'd like. I would assume though that they would prefer to keep the rooms/space for those who are looking to play. I'm not even sure about the room situation because on the website it says there are no rooms left. This is all speculation, but I'd imagine that they would be open to having people come check it out. 

Well I sold my old spare tower to one of my friends so I no longer have it. I do have the capture card though, so that I could maybe provide.

What did you guys use last time? Was it all your equipment?

I can ask McDick for you if you'd like. I would assume though that they would prefer to keep the rooms/space for those who are looking to play. I'm not even sure about the room situation because on the website it says there are no rooms left. This is all speculation, but I'd imagine that they would be open to having people come check it out. 

Yeah, everyone left will be sleeping on the floor/chairs/couches. Or if you're cool with someone you can steal their bed if you're on the opposite shift.

We had jeenyus's set up which wasn't streamed, I'm guessing it was droids setup for the stream. The other one was cujjer's. I captured like 1 set with my laptop but cujjer's happauge didn't like recording over 30minutes at a time so if people didn't stop/start it every game nothing happened. I have a cap card but I don't have a laptop to go with it since its 3.0. I may be able to steal one off my bro since he has his school + old laptop. I'd be more worried about the internet.

Yeah pretty much.

Any other way to donate without paypal? 

I can send some Maple Syrup?

You can send some Rapel Syrup

• Upvote (+1) 1

Crazy how you can get this much support still for a Halo CE LAN. I would go but I am absolute trash in CE. If its live streamed though I'll make sure to check it out.

You can send some Rapel Syrup

I'll look into it. 

Seriously though, just paypal donations? I'd feel cheap given the Canadian dollar to the US these days lol

I'll look into it. 

Seriously though, just paypal donations? I'd feel cheap given the Canadian dollar to the US these days lol

I just don't know how else someone really could contribute. If you come up with an idea i can relay the info.

I just don't know how else someone really could contribute. If you come up with an idea i can relay the info.

More than fair enough. I'll see what I can do Paypal wise. If any equipment is needed for the LAN I'd be more than willing to help out that way as well. That and syrup. 

I have a friend who lives in Orlando that I've been meaning to visit. Would love to do this at the same time. I'll have to see if I can get vacation hours.

I have a friend who lives in Orlando that I've been meaning to visit. Would love to do this at the same time. I'll have to see if I can get vacation hours.

Whoa, haven't seen you in a while.  Good to know you're still alive.

Whoa, haven't seen you in a while.  Good to know you're still alive.

Good to see people still remember me lol. Yeah I stopped coming here because I didn't buy Halo 5 and TB seemed like it was kind of taken over by Halo 5 discussion. I don't care about the Halo 5 updates, gameplay tweaks, tournies and shit, and I was tired of rehashing the same dumb arguments about Halo and sprint and all that, plus the Halo 1 community seemed to kinda die off because MCC was so shit and they weren't going to fix it. I've actually been around just checking in once in a while but no discussion really piqued my interest enough to get invested in posting regularly.

I let my Xbox Live expire for a few months too because I was sick of MCC. But the GWG offerings this month brought me back. So I guess I'll be back on MCC a bit more if you wanna play sometime. Is @@Batchford still around?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good to see people still remember me lol. Yeah I stopped coming here because I didn't buy Halo 5 and TB seemed like it was kind of taken over by Halo 5 discussion. I don't care about the Halo 5 updates, gameplay tweaks, tournies and shit, and I was tired of rehashing the same dumb arguments about Halo and sprint and all that, plus the Halo 1 community seemed to kinda die off because MCC was so shit and they weren't going to fix it. I've actually been around just checking in once in a while but no discussion really piqued my interest enough to get invested in posting regularly.

I let my Xbox Live expire for a few months too because I was sick of MCC. But the GWG offerings this month brought me back. So I guess I'll be back on MCC a bit more if you wanna play sometime. Is @@Batchford still around?

Not as much as before.  Maybe he posts more in the HCS thread.  I'm not sure.  But yeah I'm sure he'll see that mention.  He got himself on an actual team and has been doing really well.  He finished 2nd at a recent EU LAN they traveled to.  So he's been putting most of his focus on that, understandably.

Not as much as before.  Maybe he posts more in the HCS thread.  I'm not sure.  But yeah I'm sure he'll see that mention.  He got himself on an actual team and has been doing really well.  He finished 2nd at a recent EU LAN they traveled to.  So he's been putting most of his focus on that, understandably.

Oh wow, well I knew he always had it in him and I figured he'd be pursuing that, he's an amazing player and a natural talent. He got like twice as good as me at Halo 1 after only playing for a few months. Took me 15 years to get as good as I am now lol. Nice going @@Batchford.

Oh wow, well I knew he always had it in him and I figured he'd be pursuing that, he's an amazing player and a natural talent. He got like twice as good as me at Halo 1 after only playing for a few months. Took me 15 years to get as good as I am now lol. Nice going @@Batchford.

lol yeah i remember it took me a couple sessions with him to come to terms with the fact that he actually was pretty good and to stop blaming it all on my connection (MCC H1 from Hawaii is fucking cancer though, for real).

Unfortunately now he's gotta play Halo politics to stay on a decent team, and he's probably going to have to learn that some of his thoughts are better left unsaid.

lol yeah i remember it took me a couple sessions with him to come to terms with the fact that he actually was pretty good and to stop blaming it all on my connection (MCC H1 from Hawaii is fucking cancer though, for real).

Unfortunately now he's gotta play Halo politics to stay on a decent team, and he's probably going to have to learn that some of his thoughts are better left unsaid.

Hey guys!

It's great to see you post again @@VinnyMendoza. I thought you dropped off the face of the earth.

I haven't been posting as much as I don't really have the energy to post like I did a year ago. I feel a lot of the discussion has seriously went downhill, and I don't want to be a part of that.

I also placed 3rd at a UK based LAN, but it was only an 8 team thing and a lot of top team talent wasn't there. 100% still putting in the time to H5 so that I can possibly have a shot at Pro League.

I played MCC a month back and man I suck at H1 now compared to what I used to be. Felt like I have lost a bit of muscle memory. Still whooped ass though lol.

Beach Lan is on the plans for next year. Trying to get my life sorted out education/employment wise.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Beach Lan is on the plans for next year. Trying to get my life sorted out education/employment wise.

go this year yolo bruh. we got the beyond unit this year

Hey guys!

It's great to see you post again @@VinnyMendoza. I thought you dropped off the face of the earth.

I haven't been posting as much as I don't really have the energy to post like I did a year ago. I feel a lot of the discussion has seriously went downhill, and I don't want to be a part of that.

I also placed 3rd at a UK based LAN, but it was only an 8 team thing and a lot of top team talent wasn't there. 100% still putting in the time to H5 so that I can possibly have a shot at Pro League.

I played MCC a month back and man I suck at H1 now compared to what I used to be. Felt like I have lost a bit of muscle memory. Still whooped ass though lol.

Bruuuuh whatever year you can make it I'll be there too. This year or next or whatever. I'd love to meet you guys and get a great LAN in.

I know you're busy but send me a message on Live if you're ever wanting to just hop on for a few H1 games on MCC. I get the notice on my phone. You'll have to carry my sorry rusty ass though.

You're right that the discussion here is kinda ass now. Not as fun back in the heyday when people were playing MCC in tournies, trashing each other and trying to convince 343 to make a better game. Seems like we've kinda given up now that H5 is actually out.

Thanks for everything, @@Teapot, the posts, the donations, etc. To clarify, everyone is welcome, @@Hard Way. There will be players of all skill levels.

Anyone interested in donating to the prize pool can send money to my paypal: [email protected]

@@Droid 's Rage Montage coming out soon.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Updated the OP a bit. Thanks for the donation @@HiipFire and thanks for keeping tabs on this thread @@McDick.

Still have a few months to figure out the stream/tournament details. Last year I basically let them format the tournament how they wanted and it seemed to turn out fine, but I know there were some who disagreed with it. Top tier players were split so no god squads were formed. This allowed for a slew of better match ups throughout the tournament. This can help less skilled players have more fun in the tournament, but also can cause higher skilled players to have less fun. Another argument is that although the talent pool is so high, the finals might not actually showcase the highest skill possible.

What would you guys want to do if you were there? What would you guys want to do if you were a spectator? Right now I'm still working on attending, and if I do I feel like I would be in the minority that would be fine with letting players pick their teammates. That most likely means Patch+Legend win the tournament and might discourage others from trying. The way I feel is that I will most likely get stomped by a lot of people here, but I would want to play against and gain experience through it than try to even the playing field. I'm fine doing that for various series, but in a tournament setting I don't mind letting true skill shine.

edit: I also had a great time Lanning out in Colorado with @@BlackShadow, @@Cujjer, and @@Trix. I could probably write a long winded post about that experience but I don't think anyone cares about that lol. So TL;DR - Thanks for hosting BX, Thanks for selling me those Halo 1.5 xboxs Cujjer, as well as giving me some good advice. Oh and for bringing the literal lan set up. I don't think Trix has an account but he helped me out a bunch too just by hammering away the same points. Cujjer had specific tips and advice, where Trix's "go for camo billy, get camo billy, camo, camo billy, billy go for camo" made me realize how slow I was playing this game.

If you've seen my mega threads on Halo CE's spawns, tips tricks etc you'll see that I "know" quite a bit but knowledge =/= execution. I feel like a modern day @@chaosTheory. (love ya chase) Lanning out there was very motivating experience and made me want to attend the beach lan that much more. Hopefully I will know what I can do in early May.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Updated the OP a bit. Thanks for the donation @@HiipFire and thanks for keeping tabs on this thread @@McDick.

Still have a few months to figure out the stream/tournament details. Last year I basically let them format the tournament how they wanted and it seemed to turn out fine, but I know there were some who disagreed with it. Top tier players were split so no god squads were formed. This allowed for a slew of better match ups throughout the tournament. This can help less skilled players have more fun in the tournament, but also can cause higher skilled players to have less fun. Another argument is that although the talent pool is so high, the finals might not actually showcase the highest skill possible.

What would you guys want to do if you were there? What would you guys want to do if you were a spectator? Right now I'm still working on attending, and if I do I feel like I would be in the minority that would be fine with letting players pick their teammates. That most likely means Patch+Legend win the tournament and might discourage others from trying. The way I feel is that I will most likely get stomped by a lot of people here, but I would want to play against and gain experience through it than try to even the playing field. I'm fine doing that for various series, but in a tournament setting I don't mind letting true skill shine.

edit: I also had a great time Lanning out in Colorado with @@BlackShadow, @@Cujjer, and @@Trix. I could probably write a long winded post about that experience but I don't think anyone cares about that lol. So TL;DR - Thanks for hosting BX, Thanks for selling me those Halo 1.5 xboxs Cujjer, as well as giving me some good advice. Oh and for bringing the literal lan set up. I don't think Trix has an account but he helped me out a bunch too just by hammering away the same points. Cujjer had specific tips and advice, where Trix's "go for camo billy, get camo billy, camo, camo billy, billy go for camo" made me realize how slow I was playing this game.

If you've seen my mega threads on Halo CE's spawns, tips tricks etc you'll see that I "know" quite a bit but knowledge =/= execution. I feel like a modern day @@chaosTheory. (love ya chase) Lanning out there was very motivating experience and made me want to attend the beach lan that much more. Hopefully I will know what I can do in early May.

I personally think ranking the top half of the attendees then letting the worst of that pick teammates is the way to go. Means you won't get stuck with a person you don't like and you have control over who you're teaming with unless you're ranked #1. Last year teams were pretty much rando. 

It would be nice to see the best 4 play each other at the end. Maybe once it's whittled down to 4 teams, the better players of the pairs can pair off into new teams with each other for the final round, and the remaining 4 scrubs can pair off for a crap bracket? And there's still tension in the early rounds as the best players have to carry some scrub to that point? Or maybe do a full tourny for half of the cash, then everyone votes on who are the 4 best players to face off for the rest of the money? I dunno, just some ideas.

Also how does the tourny work? Do you rank people and only allow the top 32 in the bracket? Not sure how you'd do it with less than 64 people but more than 32.