Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

It's the Fantasia Film Festival, it actually just concluded. It's a horror/genre lineup. So this inquiry would be for next year, sadly.

Ahh ok. Whenever you come, that'd be cool. I'm excited to be growing a group around this region finally.

And I love those kinds of films so I might have to check it out at the same time.

It's the Fantasia Film Festival, it actually just concluded. It's a horror/genre lineup. So this inquiry would be for next year, sadly.

Hit me up next year, I'll shack you up in the stable aeaa8631976446a2d6708cfe45a95c73.png

Hit me up next year, I'll shack you up in the stable aeaa8631976446a2d6708cfe45a95c73.png

While I'm sure that would work, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to keep GOATS in a pen.  :simms:

twitch.tv/beachlan for the Los Angeles H1 tournament this weekend put on by Weed Maps.

On my way right now, should be a good turn out. I know Elamite Warrior will be there

• Upvote (+1) 3

One question I had is where is 343 at in promotion of the Beach Lan?  You would think that the current developer of the halo franchise would have some pride that people are flying to a central location to play the very first halo game that they now hold the keys to.  Instead of having Bravo all over this event, sponsoring it, and using the attention to boost sales of the other halo games, they avoid such an opportunity like the plaque.  It's poor business sense, and just plain foolish.  Is the current staff at 343 that insecure about the fact that a game that is 15 years old is leaps and bounds better than Halo 5, Halo 6, or anything else they can or will ever develop?  Why is this so hard to accept?  It's no different that accepting the fact that Bolt is the GOAT 100m and 200m runner, or that Phelps is the GOAT swimmer.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I usually don't like calling people out, but...

One question I had is where is 343 at in promotion of the Beach Lan?  You would think that the current developer of the halo franchise would have some pride that people are flying to a central location to play the very first halo game that they now hold the keys to.  Instead of having Bravo all over this event, sponsoring it, and using the attention to boost sales of the other halo games, they avoid such an opportunity like the plaque.  It's poor business sense, and just plain foolish.  Is the current staff at 343 that insecure about the fact that a game that is 15 years old is leaps and bounds better than Halo 5, Halo 6, or anything else they can or will ever develop?  Why is this so hard to accept?  It's no different that accepting the fact that Bolt is the GOAT 100m and 200m runner, or that Phelps is the GOAT swimmer.

Bravo tweeted about it, Tashi might have as well (Tashi definitely popped into the chat for a while), Josh Holmes donated $200 of his own money and got extra prizing for them in the form of Astro headsets and downloads of Halo 5.

I bet 343 employees are psyched that something like this happens, but that doesn't mean 343 as a corporation can support it openly. I'm not sure if you watched the same stream I did, but the language left a bit to be desired if you're a multi-million dollar company that has a professional reputation to keep up.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I only saw you complain, talk about how great Patch and a few other players are, and mention some things from Halo's competitive past when I looked through the last 23 pages of this thread. Meanwhile, Josh Holmes is donating $200 and helping out with prizing, other employees are tweeting about it, and what are you doing? Are you so insecure about your skill at Halo 1 that you didn't want to support the LAN that has plenty of players better than you?

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Alright boys we don't need to get into a pissing match. Wargod just wants the best for Halo and yes he actually is good at Halo 1 lol.

TBF Wargod, I was amazed at the level of support we did get. Compared to shit like Melee where Nintendo tries to shut it down. Donated money, Astros, copies of Halo 5 and tweets and current pro Halo player support (I think it was snipedown that sent all his viewers to our stream which gave us like 600 viewers temporarily). I'd say overall it was a success.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I usually don't like calling people out, but...

Bravo tweeted about it, Tashi might have as well (Tashi definitely popped into the chat for a while), Josh Holmes donated $200 of his own money and got extra prizing for them in the form of Astro headsets and downloads of Halo 5.

I bet 343 employees are psyched that something like this happens, but that doesn't mean 343 as a corporation can support it openly. I'm not sure if you watched the same stream I did, but the language left a bit to be desired if you're a multi-million dollar company that has a professional reputation to keep up.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I only saw you complain, talk about how great Patch and a few other players are, and mention some things from Halo's competitive past when I looked through the last 23 pages of this thread. Meanwhile, Josh Holmes is donating $200 and helping out with prizing, other employees are tweeting about it, and what are you doing? Are you so insecure about your skill at Halo 1 that you didn't want to support the LAN that has plenty of players better than you?

Stop trying to pretend that the level of support from them was what it should have been.  Josh Holmes is the exception.  We are all aware of his contribution but you are talking about a company who's not even allowed to speak about MCC to it's fans.  Are you really going to sit there and tell me that the foul language on the stream is what kept 343 at it's distance?  Do you think the language in a H5 tournament is any different?  Stop beating around the bush and just call it like it is. If this was not the case, then Halo CE on MCC would not be in the current state that it's in.  Feel free to point your finger in the right direction, which is back at 343.

The last comment about skill insecurity gave me a good laugh btw.

Alright boys we don't need to get into a pissing match. Wargod just wants the best for Halo and yes he actually is good at Halo 1 lol.

TBF Wargod, I was amazed at the level of support we did get. Compared to shit like Melee where Nintendo tries to shut it down. Donated money, Astros, copies of Halo 5 and tweets and current pro Halo player support (I think it was snipedown that sent all his viewers to our stream which gave us like 600 viewers temporarily). I'd say overall it was a success.

Vinny, you understand the situation but the purpose of my post was to inform those that don't.  That's great that snipedown did that, but my comments were more geared toward 343.  I was in the twitch stream for much of the tournament and I saw that the viewers were around 80 for the most part.  Now before someone tries to comment that the only reason why they were around 80 was because of 343 employee tweets... no...just no LOL.  Now there is no doubt that if Josh Holmes was in full control 343 operations, that we would get the level of support needed, but unfortunately this is not the case.  Hopefully this situation changes in the future.

I apologize for the late post, but I need to say that I am so very thankful for all the folks who contributed to Beach LAN 5, making it the best event yet.  First and foremost, I want to thank @@Teapot.  His yearly hype for the LAN brought us corporate sponsors and a commentated stream.  Next, thanks to @@Jeenyus for setting up and troubleshooting the stream all week, and killing it as a commentator.  Likewise, thanks to @@Hard Way for coming out of nowhere as another top-notch caster.   @@Devilman, as usual, went above and beyond with his support, bringing a bunch of equipment, and cleaning and matching up all the Xboxes.  Thanks also to all of the folks who donated money and items for prizes, including: @@CodyDragon (Weedmaps), Bawls energy drinks, Josh Holmes, Beyond Forums, @@Teapot, and @.

All of the support is humbling.  We have a great community and I am very excited about the future of Beach LAN.

The community thanks you for putting this on McDick. My hope is that 343 supports this event to a much greater level in 2017 and gives you the same level of support that you have given to the halo franchise all these years.  Unfortunately my work schedule kept me from attending but I hope to make the next one.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Unfortunately my work schedule kept me from attending but I hope to make the next one.

If you do, I have every intention of making you carry me. lol I hope you can make it.

If you do, I have every intention of making you carry me. lol I hope you can make it.

Zach, how's it going? You have a natural talent at commentating man! I just re-watched the finals and you were ontop of it!

Zach, how's it going? You have a natural talent at commentating man! I just re-watched the finals and you were ontop of it!

Thank you! I had a freaking blast doing it. Cody offered me the job for upcoming Weedmaps events, so I'll be getting the chance to do a lot more of it. I had SO much fun.

I'm doing okay.  My time in Hawaii is almost up.  I PCS to Kansas on Oct 29, and I'm excited about that.  Hawaii is amazing but 3 years is too long.  It'll be great to be so much closer to everyone.  Plus I'm trying to reclass into broadcasting (helicopter maintenance is not for me at all), and reclassing is pretty much impossible from here. So I'm really looking forward to getting into something I'm much better suited for.  I've felt really out of place these last couple years and I'm excited to be moving on.

Stop trying to pretend that the level of support from them was what it should have been.  Josh Holmes is the exception.  We are all aware of his contribution but you are talking about a company who's not even allowed to speak about MCC to it's fans.  Are you really going to sit there and tell me that the foul language on the stream is what kept 343 at it's distance?  Do you think the language in a H5 tournament is any different?  Stop beating around the bush and just call it like it is. If this was not the case, then Halo CE on MCC would not be in the current state that it's in.  Feel free to point your finger in the right direction, which is back at 343.

The last comment about skill insecurity gave me a good laugh btw.

Now before someone tries to comment that the only reason why they were around 80 was because of 343 employee tweets... no...just no LOL.  Now there is no doubt that if Josh Holmes was in full control 343 operations, that we would get the level of support needed, but unfortunately this is not the case.  Hopefully this situation changes in the future.

Hey, I'm all about offering a laugh.

I just want to make sure we give credit where credit is due. In some senses, Josh is representing 343, so I want to make sure we don't group him up with higher ups who get to choose what is supported. I do think the language is a bigger problem than you do, don't get me wrong I think people with the H1 community enjoy it and I don't want to take it away if it's an aspect everyone enjoys, but there was certain things that were said on stream that you could never get away with at a Halo 5 event, especially if a caster or player said it while not in a listen in. But you're right, even without that aspect it probably wouldn't get an official tweet. I think this goes back to a Microsoft thing, it's going to be very rare for them to promote an event they're not directly involved in, but I don't think they would want to get involved with Beach LAN unless certain things were changed (they would probably want MCC to be played, which everyone would be against).

This next part is about something you said to Vinnie, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. To keep it brief, I agree that the employee tweets probably did little, if Bravo's tweet brought even ten viewers to the stream that stayed for ten minutes I would be surprised. I do think it's a nice gesture though. The part I was mostly wanting to talk about was about Josh, that's the type of comment I would have liked to see in your original post, recognition not of just the bad but the things that are appreciated as well, especially when said person is doing something out of pocket.

Anyway, I'll stop trying to preach niceness everywhere, no hard feelings were intended.

I apologize for the late post, but I need to say that I am so very thankful for all the folks who contributed to Beach LAN 5, making it the best event yet.  First and foremost, I want to thank @@Teapot.  His yearly hype for the LAN brought us corporate sponsors and a commentated stream.  Next, thanks to @@Jeenyus for setting up and troubleshooting the stream all week, and killing it as a commentator.  Likewise, thanks to @@Hard Way for coming out of nowhere as another top-notch caster.   @@Devilman, as usual, went above and beyond with his support, bringing a bunch of equipment, and cleaning and matching up all the Xboxes.  Thanks also to all of the folks who donated money and items for prizes, including: @@CodyDragon (Weedmaps), Bawls energy drinks, Josh Holmes, Beyond Forums, @@Teapot, and @.

All of the support is humbling.  We have a great community and I am very excited about the future of Beach LAN.

You guys did a great job, congratulations on the strong year and I hope this LAN turns into everything you hope it will be.

Honestly I hope 343 ignores us officially because they'd just try to take it over and dump all over what makes it special. I think they technically own IP rights for halo 1.

Honestly I hope 343 ignores us officially because they'd just try to take it over and dump all over what makes it special. I think they technically own IP rights for halo 1.

I think this this is one of the main issues. 343 probably can't officially support a modded version of the game. And even if they could, they would gain very little seeing as it would only open the discussion about CE on MCC, and they certainly aren't going to set themselves up to go down that road.

@@McDick Keep 'em coming man. It's great to see CE getting treated with due professionalism and respect after all these years. Hopefully the community will only grow from here on out and we continue to see great events like Beach LAN pop-up year-round.

EDIT: Hmm looks like no one posted the link to the finals yet:

• Upvote (+1) 6

Beach LAN 5 FFA Finals were just posted to the Beach LAN youtube.

The FFA tournament as a whole was awesome. Sometimes at MLG events you would hear about particular players and how that event was their event etc. The story here is about Doughboy's absolutely amazing FFA run throughout this tournament. I'll have to check through some pictures and notes but I believe he won the first 3 or 4 rounds finishing in 1st place, earning 9 points each round. I believe Legend was in every round too and never finished first. This game Doughboy/Words a great seed in the 2v2 tournament. This video is of the finals, where it was 2 heats with the totals added up. Pay attention to the last game in this video. Doughboy has roughly 34 kills when Legend reaches 45.. it's such a nail biter. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Beach LAN 5 FFA Finals were just posted to the Beach LAN youtube.

The FFA tournament as a whole was awesome. Sometimes at MLG events you would hear about particular players and how that event was their event etc. The story here is about Doughboy's absolutely amazing FFA run throughout this tournament. I'll have to check through some pictures and notes but I believe he won the first 3 or 4 rounds finishing in 1st place, earning 9 points each round. I believe Legend was in every round too and never finished first. This game Doughboy/Words a great seed in the 2v2 tournament. This video is of the finals, where it was 2 heats with the totals added up. Pay attention to the last game in this video. Doughboy has roughly 34 kills when Legend reaches 45.. it's such a nail biter. 

Great gameplay but there's a crazy echo on the commentary :/

Yeah those FFAs were fun.  I wonder if the other heats are up? That was the first round Legend got 1st - he must have been saving it for the finals :\

Good job commentating Hard Way.  Those FFAs are so fast paced and so much is going on that commentating is really hard. You make it seem very easy. Kudos.