Teapot

Beach Lan 5: $3,500 Halo CE Tournament - Powered by Weedmaps

Most likely. It's hard to scroll and find what was said in the chat but I'll look for it. I believe legend said when theres 8 teams left, not players.

Edit: not sure it's top 8. I'll send you the pic of the format, Teapot. Idk how to add pic to post from my phone

lmao that fat Melvin's voice was insufferable.  He strikes me as a man that is good at nothing.

funny you point out his voice because he was actually the voice of piglet in the later installments of the winnie the pooh franchise.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

2v2 Tournament Maps + Rounds. Double Elimination, Bo3's until semi-finals, then Bo5's. Thanks @@Patch Stay

Winners Bracket:

• Round 1 = Hang Em High, Prisoner, Chill Out.
  • Round 2 - Damnation, Derelict, Downrush.
  • Round 3 - Prisoner, Battle Creek, Chill Out.
  • Round 4 - Derelict, Chill Out, Downrush, Hang Em High, Prisoner.
  • Round 5 - Prisoner, Battle Creek, Chill Out, Hang Em High, Damnation. (Winners Bracket Finals)
  • Round 6 - Chill Out, Derelict, Downrush, Hang Em High, Prisoner. (Championship Finals)
  • Championship Finals continuation, if needed - Damnation, Battle Creek, Prisoner, Hang Em High, Chill Out.

Losers Bracket:

• Round 2 - Battle Creek, Chill Out, Hang Em High.
  • Round 3 - Derelict, Damnation, Prisoner.
  • Round 4 - Chill Out, Hang Em High, Battle Creek
  • Round 5 - Damnation, Prisoner, Hang Em High, Chill Out, Derelict (Losers Bracket Finals) 
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I'm not, and a lot of others, aren't big on Downrush being included. Some people are gonna discuss it and it may be omitted. I think the maps that are common to everyone should be the standard.

Downrush is a fair and balanced map, that can be fun, so it probably does make sense to start implementing it into the various LAN groups. I just don't think doing it via a tournament is the way to go

funny you point out his voice because he was actually the voice of piglet in the later installments of the winnie the pooh franchise.  

A fat guy doing the voice of a pig?  Sounds about right.

I'm not, and a lot of others, aren't big on Downrush being included. Some people are gonna discuss it and it may be omitted. I think the maps that are common to everyone should be the standard.

Downrush is a fair and balanced map, that can be fun, so it probably does make sense to start implementing it into the various LAN groups. I just don't think doing it via a tournament is the way to go

It's been like 6 years, it is time. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I mean what are the odds of it ever getting in anyway? A lot of the people attending aren't so inclined on the newer maps, yet I daresay some of them like Downrush and Imminent are better than some default H1 2v2 maps. I think people should experience it in some way.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Downrush is like the 3rd best map imo. It's time to start pushing for its inclusion. And you might get some people on the stream curious about getting the version of the game where it comes from if they see this cool new map.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I was a big fan of the map myself personally but only played it a handful of times. I probably don't know the maps meta at a high level or all the intricacies but it seemed like a well balanced map and was scaled really well from quake to work with Halo.

Would love to hear some in depth discussion of the pros/cons.

I could be too hopeful but I think downrush is somewhat of a marketing tool in terms of showcasing a new competitive map. If it was up to me, we would showcase even more maps even though I don't feel they are as good as downrush. Halo CE never gets old to me, but watching Missingno's commentary on new maps was really refreshing.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I have more new map game time than probably anyone and I'm a HUGE fan of the new maps.  I don't think it should be in the tournament, though.  Not everyone has played Downrush, simple as that.  Wouldn't want someone's tournament depending on a map they've played once or twice...or not at all.  I agree it should be played out of tournament, but I think all of the new maps on Final should be played.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I have more new map game time than probably anyone and I'm a HUGE fan of the new maps.  I don't think it should be in the tournament, though.  Not everyone has played Downrush, simple as that.  Wouldn't want someone's tournament depending on a map they've played once or twice...or not at all.  I agree it should be played out of tournament, but I think all of the new maps on Final should be played.

People will get almost a week to play it before the tournament though, so there's not really an excuse imo.

I know it's not the same as years and years of practice, but it should be enough to know where you're going and where and when to push items. I found it very intuitive. I was able to pick up on basically what to do by the 2nd game on it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have more new map game time than probably anyone and I'm a HUGE fan of the new maps. I don't think it should be in the tournament, though. Not everyone has played Downrush, simple as that. Wouldn't want someone's tournament depending on a map they've played once or twice...or not at all. I agree it should be played out of tournament, but I think all of the new maps on Final should be played.

Hmm this is not something that I considered. I wonder how many attending have no experience on downrush. Not that this matters but where does the map stand in terms of depth? It seemed like a very straight forward map that was easy to learn.

Hmm this is not something that I considered. I wonder how many attending have no experience on downrush. Not that this matters but where does the map stand in terms of depth? It seemed like a very straight forward map that was easy to learn.

I think it's probably the easiest new map to learn, for sure.  There are a lot of situations that can cost you a lot in Downrush.  It's a small map, does everyone know the spawns and randoms?  There are a lot of randoms in that map for its size, in my opinion.  A player without much DR experience could rush camo port and sit for a moment, does he know that his teammate spawns directly below him at health pack almost every time?  Probably not, but I would and experienced players would leave that player at port and kill his teammmate on spawn until it clicked.  Experienced H1 players are going to figure this out quick, of course.  Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is at 49-49 in a tournament.  The experienced player would probably random his teammate from bottom and try to hold up bottom or push to OS corner/elbow.  Does someone who has barely played DR know you can grab OS through the floor or grenade rockets directly to you under camo?  Those tricks have won me games.  I mean honestly, every map gets deeper the more people play it.  I play DR different this year than I did in 2009, things change.  From my experience, the only people that regularly play the map are the Florida players, some NC players, and my LAN group.  There are probably more, but not many.  As a spectator I would love to see Downrush.  If I was a player there, and I had not played the map or only played it a couple times, I would not want any tournament wins/losses depending on it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think it's probably the easiest new map to learn, for sure.  There are a lot of situations that can cost you a lot in Downrush.  It's a small map, does everyone know the spawns and randoms?  There are a lot of randoms in that map for its size, in my opinion.  A player without much DR experience could rush camo port and sit for a moment, does he know that his teammate spawns directly below him at health pack almost every time?  Probably not, but I would and experienced players would leave that player at port and kill his teammmate on spawn until it clicked.  Experienced H1 players are going to figure this out quick, of course.  Doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is at 49-49 in a tournament.  The experienced player would probably random his teammate from bottom and try to hold up bottom or push to OS corner/elbow.  Does someone who has barely played DR know you can grab OS through the floor or grenade rockets directly to you under camo?  Those tricks have won me games.  I mean honestly, every map gets deeper the more people play it.  I play DR different this year than I did in 2009, things change.  From my experience, the only people that regularly play the map are the Florida players, some NC players, and my LAN group.  There are probably more, but not many.  As a spectator I would love to see Downrush.  If I was a player there, and I had not played the map or only played it a couple times, I would not want any tournament wins/losses depending on it.

Like I said it's been 6 years, if you havent learned to play the map by now you're simply not going to unless there is some incentive. like a tourny... As long as people have the mindset that "downrush doesnt matter," it won't get ever get into everyone's rotation. You can say the same for battle creek's inclusion. It's played about as much as dr if not less. What if I didn't know you could random bottom snipe, what if you didn't know blue base has 30% of the spawns, what if I didn't know top blue base sniper nade trick, what If i didn't know you could nade camo into oblivion? 

I think DR is fun. It's sorta like chilly but you can't camp pink with rockets and there's not as many corners to hide in. You can camp portals, but it's not without it's flaws. the difference in elevation make it so you can flush people out with nades for example. I feel the map is really balanced, and it's a shame it's not played more.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Like I said it's been 6 years, if you havent learned to play the map by now you're simply not going to unless there is some incentive. like a tourny... As long as people have the mindset that "downrush doesnt matter," it won't get ever get into everyone's rotation. You can say the same for battle creek's inclusion. It's played about as much as dr if not less. What if I didn't know you could random bottom snipe, what if you didn't know blue base has 30% of the spawns, what if I didn't know top blue base sniper nade trick, what If i didn't know you could nade camo into oblivion?

I think DR is fun. It's sorta like chilly but you can't camp pink with rockets and there's not as many corners to hide in. You can camp portals, but it's not without it's flaws. the difference in elevation make it so you can flush people out with nades for example. I feel the map is really balanced, and it's a shame it's not played more.

It's not any of that. It's about instinctually knowing which way to look. When coming alive, when porting, when a guy gets away and you have to know his options of escape. Everyone wants to say "You can learn it really quick" etc, but 90% of you fucks don't even know the regular maps, you included.

I have as much H1 skill and instinct as anyone and I've prob played the map 10 times. I have no idea what to do when I come alive. You can't make up years of experience in 3 days of lanning. You can't force people to play something. Trying to do so when it's actually being played for something other than fun is ********

• Upvote (+1) 3

if it's a map patch likes, i should learn it better. If it's a patch doesnt like, it shouldn't be learned.

also if you're attending msg legend on fb or just pm me ur name and i'll add ya to the exclusive fb event page.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be fair I could have even been the one to bring up it being included. Not sure where the dialogue started but yes I am for the map but not for those reasons.  It looks like the map is going to be removed unless the voting changes significantly but for some reason I never thought of it in from the point of view that Missingno brought up. I don't mind it being taken out despite how much I'd see it in tournament play. Legends got the final say though.

Would probably still pitch to have it in the random tiered tournament.

^I know that I have no shot at winning a tournament at this LAN. To say that's the ONLY reason people want new maps in the rotation is silly. We want them in because the people that have actually played them know that they are worthy, and it's ridiculous that they've been ignored this long. Personally I find it insane that H1 players have been sitting on an amazing pack of maps for 6 years and haven't even bothered to play them.

Like really it's 99% certain that Patch and Legend will win and we are concerned about one map possibly benefiting a few players in 2 rounds? Take it out of the final round if its a huge deal.

I dunno man. I love Downrush and think it is criminal that no one plays it. I've barely played it actually and I would still be arguing for its inclusion if I were there. It wouldn't be about competitive advantage to me.

I will understand if it gets voted out completely. But it is still disappointing as a viewer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

^I know that I have no shot at winning a tournament at this LAN. To say that's the ONLY reason people want new maps in the rotation is silly. We want them in because the people that have actually played them know that they are worthy, and it's ridiculous that they've been ignored this long. Personally I find it insane that H1 players have been sitting on an amazing pack of maps for 6 years and haven't even bothered to play them.

I've been playing new maps since 2011, I love them. I'd even say me being so vocal about it is why a lot of good players have touched them at all. With that said, they have no place in a tournament on this short of notice. 1st isn't the only place that pays out. People will start playing them if it's known that they will be in tournaments from here on out, giving people a clear disadvantage a week prior to the tournament is non sense.

I decide a few minutes after posting that I don't want to be a part of this discussion, but the homie teapot swooped in and quoted me. That's my opinion and many others, look at it however you want but your excuses aren't sound logic when it comes to organizing a competitive tournament.

One last note, I proposed the compromise of a pick/ban format for maps in the tournament that is pretty successful in melee. I think it's the most reasonable solution, let them know what you think.

• Upvote (+1) 3

First off I'm glad you are here contributing the to conversation. Missingno too. I know more people are in the FB chat but I definitely don't catch everything said there but as dumb as it might sound dumb but I just really didn't think of it from opposite side.

To further explain where I stood, I wanted it because quite frankly as small as it seems I think it's a selling point. I don't think downrush is going to pull in the viewers but it's going to create some interest. In my opinion I think it plays well but also is something easy for a viewer to pick up on map wise. I have no problem saying that my opinion is biased. I think that we have to do every possible thing that has a chance of letting us grow or improve because my ideal goal is somewhat long term related and not just this year.

I'd personally play DR over BC but the specific argument here works well against Dowrunrush. I'm not quite sure if you posted something similar in the chat, but if you haven't then please do. I don't really know much about MD Madness but I know it's the last significant tournament that was held. I'm glad this has picked up significant steam and unless I'm mistaken, rivals that event. I definitely value all input though both short and long term.

Patch, did you ever post that list of people better than Fil4?

• Upvote (+1) 1